• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

When they were selling them with the monopod as an option the non monopod rifles came with a black plastic blank in place of the pod. I have one somewhere, unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving otherwise I'd give it to you.

Nothing is free in this world, I'll buy it from you when you find it....

I know it was covered before but I cannot find it. I'm looking at getting an eberlestock pack for elk and bear hunting. It would be cool if my DTA would fit in it as well. I have have a athlon cronus on it and it seems to be higher and wider than even the large scabbards. Laying the rifle on its side on the bench, it is over 3 inches tall. Grip to top of elevation turret also seems to be over 10 inches. I was looking at the team elk and j107m packs but if it really won't work, the old hunting j107 is dirt cheap right now and I would just use it for all my other rifles.

thanks,

I know it was covered before but I cannot find it. I'm looking at getting an eberlestock pack for elk and bear hunting. It would be cool if my DTA would fit in it as well. I have have a athlon cronus on it and it seems to be higher and wider than even the large scabbards. Laying the rifle on its side on the bench, it is over 3 inches tall. Grip to top of elevation turret also seems to be over 10 inches. I was looking at the team elk and j107m packs but if it really won't work, the old hunting j107 is dirt cheap right now and I would just use it for all my other rifles.

thanks,[/QUOTE

Mine with a Gen2 Razor fits great in my Lowdrag.

Most of the Eberlstock tactical packs such as the LoDrag, Gunslinger, Operator, etc. are 10.5"-11" wide in the scabbard. Those are the only packs I have experience with. With the height of the rifle it will most likely slide in at a slight angle giving you a bit more clearance.

Sonic Crack, ETA on when the +2 extensions will be available, and price?

Hi @all!

I just signed up to say I'm very happy with the mass of information in this thread.
I'm from Germany and awaiting my SRS A1 Covert shortly (I hope so, been waiting for nearly 4 moths!)
Can't wait to get match and hunting ammo developed!
Do you have some experience with cutting edge bullets? I may be testing the 165 grain Lazer for hunting.

We have a manufacturer for scope mounts and accesories here which makes an adjustable mount
for cant. I'll maybe give it a try!

http://era-tac.de/attachments/article/124/10-11-era-tac_tactical-katalog4.pdf

Thanks!

Hi @all!

I just signed up to say I'm very happy with the mass of information in this thread.
I'm from Germany and awaiting my SRS A1 Covert shortly (I hope so, been waiting for nearly 4 moths!)
Can't wait to get match and hunting ammo developed!
Do you have some experience with cutting edge bullets? I may be testing the 165 grain Lazer for hunting.

We have a manufacturer for scope mounts and accesories here which makes an adjustable mount
for cant. I'll maybe give it a try!

[video]http://era-tac.de/attachments/article/124/10-11-era-tac_tactical-katalog4.pdf[/video]

Thanks!

Welcome! I have a Covert and it's an excellent rifle. I use mine for hunting as well, I think you'll love it. For load development, honestly I haven't found any of my barrels to be very picky. My .308 really likes hornady 165

I also have that same era-tac mount and it works pretty well, I will caution though to make sure you read the installation instructions as far as using latex. I had it with my gen 2 razor and it worked great, but with my NF the scope would slip in the rings and yes they were torqued to spec. So it seems a little scope dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am putting an SRS A1 on a diet for hunting purposes. If I were to remove the rear monopod in an effort to trim weight, would the gen 1 skins fit the chassis to avoid having a hole in the bottom of the stock?

The monopod is sweet when I need it, but I am prioritizing a weight reduction over convenience.

I have one sitting on my bench. Shoot me a PM

I am putting an SRS A1 on a diet for hunting purposes. If I were to remove the rear monopod in an effort to trim weight, would the gen 1 skins fit the chassis to avoid having a hole in the bottom of the stock?

The monopod is sweet when I need it, but I am prioritizing a weight reduction over convenience.

How much weight do you see it shedding? I have been curious about it myself. I love the monopod, but i normally have a small bag on me as a rear support.

The monopod assembly weighs 5.7 oz. on my scale.

Removal of the atlas bipod, the two butt spacers and the monopod has cut a total of 1 lb 6.2 oz. From the chassis.

How much weight do you see it shedding? I have been curious about it myself. I love the monopod, but i normally have a small bag on me as a rear support.

I would really hate to lose my monopod. I find it very handy to set up quickly without having to "drop my pack". I guess for the ultimate diet... An older fellow at the range a couple of weeks ago had his SRS down to (he claimed) less than 12 lbs with a NF 3.5-15 and rings only. It had a light weight profiled and fluted 22" barrel that he said would heat up pretty quickly but would "drive nails" for 3-5 rounds. I watched him shoot 2 tiny groups at 100 yds and then about 15 minutes later he did a 5 shot 3 or so inch group on a steel silhouette at 500 yds in about 15 seconds (I think to show off) while some other guys were struggling to get their deer rifles on paper at 100 yds. It was his third and final volley and he then packed up the few items he had and went to his truck. I had to giggle a bit.

That's tough to believe he is under 12 lbs considering that is a 30 oz scope and the chassis alone weighs somewhere around 7.5 lbs. Maybe the flutes get him there but the weight of the ten on is hard to overcome.

Yeah maybe. Maybe tennon is fluted. Just thinking he only has around 2.5 lbs left over for barrel weight and to be fluting that light of a contour could be dicey depending on caliber. A regular light sporter is 2.5 lbs at 27" so throw that 5" of weight into the tennon, may be doable.

I have a 25" light contour 6.5 barrel from Ty that weighs in at 4lbs with TBAC brake. It's a hammer and can handle a 10 shot string. About same weight as factory fluted 22" 308 barrel.

The guy wasn't interested in chatting - at all. I just saw he had a DT and saw the unusually small diameter barrel so I strolled over (could then see the flutes) and said "nice SRS" and asked him "how much does that barrel help with overall weight?" Never looking up, he said "less than 12". So I then asked "heat up pretty quick?" he said "yeah but it'll drive a nail the first 3 to 5 - how many do you need?" Never looked back and went back to sorting through some rounds. I just said "that oughtta do it" and walked away - it was a .308. He was using bags with no bipod. Next time I see him I'm going to try to strike up a conversation and find out about the barrel, if he'll make eye contact. That was a cool looking and shooting barrel though. When he left, a fellow at the range said the guy had been a sniper in Vietnam. We've all heard that one but maybe...

• Haha
Reactions: LongRangeJunky
That's pretty cool. 5" of barrel support turns 22" into 17" so these lighter contours are actually stiffer than your conventional barrel of same length. Another cool feature of the SRS. And that big tennon has more mass to help absorb heat.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cheek pad for my srs? My rubber is torn to shit from alot of use over the past few years. Thanks!

^^ Warranty. Material was changed in last 2 years so it don't peel no more.

Shout out to FireguyTy (Ty Frehner). He spun up a skinny 6.5 Creed barrel that finishes at 0.700" and weighs a little under 4lbs for me. I Did a mini ladder test at 200 yards primarily to check safe velocities and look for possible nodes. Well the node is kinda hard to miss being practically 2.4 grains wide! Shot 6 was first shot after loading magazine again so I think my NPA was off. This was also the second string I had shot so barrel was warm. I Got a couple velocity clusters to pick from within all that. Anyway, Ty does great work, good communication and fast turn around.

IMG_5618.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5618.JPG
    IMG_5618.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 26
photo76031.jpg

Put the DTA to its first hard use. Shot 9 coyotes over a few days. Closest was 38 yards. Furthest was 534.

I found out that the 139 Lapua Scenar drives tacks, but is NOT a consistently effective killing bullet. I shot more than one through the vitals that ran over 100 yards. That shouldn't happen with a 6.5 Creed. With my 243 shooting an 87 v-max, it don't matter where you hit them, they go straight down. Maybe I should go stir up some of those "hunting bullets are a scam / my target bullet x kills just fine" threads... :D

Attachments

• WP_20171014_004.jpg
    WP_20171014_004.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 40
  • WP_20171014_008.jpg
    WP_20171014_008.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yep, I got a bunch of 143 eldx. I held off on developing a load for them because the Scenars shot so nice. I guess it's time.

ELD both X and M are shooting very good for me. I loaded some 180 ELDMs for a friends 7 mag and he smoked his bull elk with them at 350 and said the bullet performed very well.

Does anyone know what fore end this is? I found it today posted on Desert Tech Shooters Facebook page, credit is listed at @romeo_whiskey338lm from an ES Tactical post.

Attachments

• photo76164.jpg
    photo76164.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 48
I dont think its a new forend. If you notice the entire receiver has been milled as well. More than likely he had it done using the original receiver and forend. But why dont you ask the owner on the FB page?

I located another on john_the_baptist_1 instagram. Supposedly he works for DT as a weapons engineer and was able to shave off a pound with this chassis. Hopefully a new coming Gen 4?

Attachments

• photo76192.jpg
    photo76192.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 50
It is my understanding that insiders did a couple of these as "one-offs" for employees, on the mill, prior to manufacturer info and SN being engraved on the receivers. If you look at your chassis, you will see that that information would be removed if you did this yourself on one that is already labelled with that information. There is no word on this being offered to the common man, and if you wanted my guess, I would say I doubt it and I'll offer you 3:1 odds on that bet.

There is no word on this being offered to the common man, and if you wanted my guess, I would say I doubt it and I'll offer you 3:1 odds on that bet.

Just seems like it would be the natural progression of design for their SRS. Why not offer an improved (well maybe) chassis or handguard with mlok. If these are already how, how difficulty would it be to mill more to put on the market or make a Gen 4 thats lighter? I can only hope. I'm sure I'll be getting my covert long before that comes to fruition.

It is my understanding that insiders did a couple of these as "one-offs" for employees, on the mill, prior to manufacturer info and SN being engraved on the receivers. If you look at your chassis, you will see that that information would be removed if you did this yourself on one that is already labelled with that information. There is no word on this being offered to the common man, and if you wanted my guess, I would say I doubt it and I'll offer you 3:1 odds on that bet.

Close, but not entirely accurate. These were done after the fact, to finished SRS receivers. And I'll agree with your odds.

There are many guys here who would likely disagree, and they shoot a LOT of animals. Everything I've ever hit with a Scenar went down and never got back up. I worry more about placement than bullets anyways.

I can't disagree that placement is key. However, considering I placed a Scenar directly through the ribcage of more than one coyote, and they did in fact, not go down, would indicate a bullet problem. Closer inspection revealed roughly bullet-sized entry and exit holes. Everyone else can shoot their Scenars at whatever they want. I'm done with them.

I can't disagree that placement is key. However, considering I placed a Scenar directly through the ribcage of more than one coyote, and they did in fact, not go down, would indicate a bullet problem. Closer inspection revealed roughly bullet-sized entry and exit holes. Everyone else can shoot their Scenars at whatever they want. I'm done with them.

So you put a bullet through its vitals and it did not go down? I would like to see this coyote, are you sure it wasn't a zombie? :p

I think the details matter in bullet performance discussions. One for which is probably discussed better in its own separate thread. That said, a coyote probably just doesn’t have the mass to open up a scenar, especially if you’re not hitting a shoulder. Where as a more frangible bullet is going to dump and destroy tissue a lot better on a little animal like a coyote.

I was shooting the DT and Tubb rifles back to back on the barricade this weekend. Both rifles are great in their own ways but there is definitely something to be said about how the DT balances off a barricade.

Attachments

• photo76895.jpg
    photo76895.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 36
So you put a bullet through its vitals and it did not go down? I would like to see this coyote, are you sure it wasn't a zombie? :p

I should clarify that they (happened on two separate yotes) did not immediately go down, but instead ran off 100 yards or more. While I've come to expect that on occasion from my 223, that is not acceptable in a 6.5 shooting a 140-class bullet.

Last edited:
I think the details matter in bullet performance discussions. One for which is probably discussed better in its own separate thread. That said, a coyote probably just doesn’t have the mass to open up a scenar, especially if you’re not hitting a shoulder. Where as a more frangible bullet is going to dump and destroy tissue a lot better on a little animal like a coyote.

Agreed. Like hammers, or just about any other tool, bullets are designed around an intended use. When you use them outside of their intentions, the results can be unfavorable.
-- You may (or may not) be surprised to learn how many dismiss this simple concept when it comes to bullets...

Agreed. Like hammers, or just about any other tool, bullets are designed around an intended use. When you use them outside of their intentions, the results can be unfavorable.
-- You may (or may not) be surprised to learn how many dismiss this simple concept when it comes to bullets...

So do you not have a picture of this/these coyotes? I'd still like to see em, zombie or not.

guys have DTA SRS A1 in 338 LPM, have a quick question, does the scope rail have any inbuilt cant ? and any suggested reloads ??