• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I'll look at it more closely sometime soon. It'll likely take different bolts, not sure how it'll need to be accomplished yet.

As above .308 bolt face so simple from that perspective.

12.7x48 sounds interesting ?

Are you running it on an SRS? Does it mag feed ? The idea of a long fat round worried me re: feeding.

Tony

Yes, I'm running it in an SRS and have done up about 25 or 30 barrels in this cal. It will mag feed if you can get mags out of DT for the 308 and mod them. I had a deal set up at one time but personnel changed a few times and they didn't want to sell me what we had arranged. It requires a 308 magazine with the spacer not installed, a follower for the 338 Lapua along with the spring and floorplate. The 338 Lapua mag won't work due to the shoulder retention feature they built into it. The larger diameter, longer BMG and AMAX bullets hit the shoulder of the mag and won't drop into the mag. With the 308 mag the whole cartridge will fit and functions very well feedwise. If you're using shorter hunting type bullets for supersonic stuff.....like the 300 or 450 gr Barnes they will fit and function in the standard 338 lapua mags. They're shorter than the shoulder with those bullets.

Hope all that makes sense.

Frank

Yes, I'm running it in an SRS and have done up about 25 or 30 barrels in this cal. It will mag feed if you can get mags out of DT for the 308 and mod them. I had a deal set up at one time but personnel changed a few times and they didn't want to sell me what we had arranged. It requires a 308 magazine with the spacer not installed, a follower for the 338 Lapua along with the spring and floorplate. The 338 Lapua mag won't work due to the shoulder retention feature they built into it. The larger diameter, longer BMG and AMAX bullets hit the shoulder of the mag and won't drop into the mag. With the 308 mag the whole cartridge will fit and functions very well feedwise. If you're using shorter hunting type bullets for supersonic stuff.....like the 300 or 450 gr Barnes they will fit and function in the standard 338 lapua mags. They're shorter than the shoulder with those bullets.

Hope all that makes sense.

Frank

Perfect sense thanks Frank. I’ve just had the .338 and .308 mags side by side and can see exactly what you mean.

Tony

We are having a sale on our 6mm and 6.5mm DT SRS barrels. Made using Proof Research SS blanks. $800 until 1 June 2018, or we run out of stock.
http://www.es-tactical.com/shop/Desert-Tech/ES-Tactical-SRS-Barrels--Conversion-Kits.htm DTA 2.jpgDTA1.jpg

We are having a sale on our 6mm and 6.5mm DT SRS barrels. Made using Proof Research SS blanks. $800 until 1 June 2018, or we run out of stock.
http://www.es-tactical.com/shop/Desert-Tech/ES-Tactical-SRS-Barrels--Conversion-Kits.htmView attachment 6907977View attachment 6907978
Holly crap guys this is a smoking deal on a hell of a barrel. I have a 6.5 CM from ES and it is my most accurate and consistent barrel I have for the SRS. I would not hesitate on jumping on this deal.

Would it be possible for you to weigh some carbon DT barrels at different lengths? I know it is tough to shave weight with the big tennons and people beat around the bush on actual weight. Typically they sight weight savings vs a big steel contour. Having some solid numbers would be cool and then people can decide if it is worth it for them.

Thanks!

http://www.es-tactical.com/shop/Desert-Tech/ES-Tactical-SRS-Barrels--Conversion-Kits.htmView attachment 6907977View attachment 6907978

I guess I should have done a little more homework on this before ordering the barrel.

I just reached out to Sonic Crack. Bradu thinks he might be taking some time off, but hopefully he can help me out if he is still working. If not, no big deal. The barrel shoots really well and I love the caliber. I have another rifle chambered in it so I already had all the dies and loading supplies on hand. Worst case scenario, It'll be a single shot rifle with the 284 Win barrel. I intended it solely for LR target shooting anyway, not hunting or PRS.

Well, a big THANK YOU to Sonic Crack who came through and modified a short action mag for me that now feeds my 284 Win just fine. There is still plenty of space left in the mag to load the longer 180s as well.

Here is a pic of a four shot group I shot with it while doing load development that measured in the .1s. The barrel is a 28" Proof stainless spun up by ES Tactical and it's a hammer. The bullet used was a 168gr SMK. Getting just a shade under 3000 fps with single digit SD and no pressure signs using 54.0gr of H-4350. I now have five different conversions and I think this one just became my favorite.

I agree with this. The DT platform is very unique and the inherent accuracy of the system is extremely good. If you desire the shortest platform possible for great handling, nothing comes close.

Same here. After I picked up my dt srs the rest of my bolt rifles left one by one and I’d pick up dt barrels. It’s been fun.

Finally got my barrel setup from sac. Being a lefty this is actually the first time I've shot a lefty rifle. Been shooting right handed guns this whole time. Here is the first group. Was a little excited and first time behind this rifle. Realized I didn't follow through and let off the trigger too early as well. Please don't judge me too hard lol. Hopefully my groups get tighter on the next outing.

16.75" barrel with a mack brothers m762s can
American Eagle 168gr OTM

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180525_193612.jpg
    MVIMG_20180525_193612.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 140
  • MVIMG_20180530_114508.jpg
    MVIMG_20180530_114508.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20180525_193640.jpg
    IMG_20180525_193640.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 157
  • MVIMG_20180530_114647.jpg
    MVIMG_20180530_114647.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: Fishkat and Imho
You’re using American Eagle, when you go with FGMM or ELD-M. Your groups will continue to improve, I like running the lighter bullet options with short barrels. So the 168 variant would be my choice with your setup.

Great shooting, you’ll keep getting better and better.

Reactions: anhnguyen
Finally got my barrel setup from sac. Being a lefty this is actually the first time I've shot a lefty rifle. Been shooting right handed guns this whole time. Here is the first group. Was a little excited and first time behind this rifle. Realized I didn't follow through and let off the trigger too early as well. Please don't judge me too hard lol. Hopefully my groups get tighter on the next outing.

16.75" barrel with a mack brothers m762s can
American Eagle 168gr OTM

Yea try 168 FGMM it’s does really well in my 16” 308 barrel

Thanks for the heads up guys, going to order some 168 fgmm now. Target sports has some for sale.

Try using the solid bench surface instead of the rubber floor mat table cover. The rifle bouncing will do nothing to improve your grouping.

Reactions: anhnguyen
Hey everyone,
I have only read up through feb in the thread so please forgive me if this was recently covered. I’d like to get a stock pack and I remember seeing one a long time ago but can’t find anything now. Does any one know of any options that are out there?

Hey everyone,
I have only read up through feb in the thread so please forgive me if this was recently covered. I’d like to get a stock pack and I remember seeing one a long time ago but can’t find anything now. Does any one know of any options that are out there?

Because of the position of the bolt and the ambi mag release it would be pretty hard to do. The SAP 2 round holder or a hoptic USA quiver will get you a couple extra rounds.

Because of the position of the bolt and the ambi mag release it would be pretty hard to do. The SAP 2 round holder or a hoptic USA quiver will get you a couple extra rounds.

That all makes sense. In the end I’m trying to raise my comb. I thought that pack is seen, probably prescout days. I’ve currently got the adjustable piece as high as it will go and the hoptic stock pad. Any other thoughts to raise that? A custom adjustable piece might be ideal but everyone that I’ve contacted isn’t worth the money. (Can’t blame them)

That all makes sense. In the end I’m trying to raise my comb. I thought that pack is seen, probably prescout days. I’ve currently got the adjustable piece as high as it will go and the hoptic stock pad. Any other thoughts to raise that? A custom adjustable piece might be ideal but everyone that I’ve contacted isn’t worth the money. (Can’t blame them)

Dang! And you still need more height?? Running 3” high rings or what??

I got a custom cheek pad made by Wiebad that’s a little thicker than the hoptic one. I actually had to put my cheek piece all the way down to get good sight picture. I’m running a 34mm spuhr 1.5” high

Reactions: Zeus0390 and Bradu
How much more do you need to go. You could always file the slots a bit to make them more oblong to give you a bit more adjustment

It makes the grip a bit thicker of course, but I think it's good and adds ton of traction to what was, IMO, a pretty slippery grip.
I've since painted my SRS and couldn't find the same model in a color I liked, so I went with these, which also work well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072DVWTV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The OD green one was the best match. I guess I don't have a close-up of the new one, but here's what it looks like on the gun:
View attachment 6907500
Can’t resist sharing a thought:

Years ago I was looking at some junk in the garage and cane across a bicycle tire inner tube. I’m known to suffer from sweaty palms from time to time, so always used Hogue slip on rubberized grip sleeves on my pistols.

LSS: You can buy 1 inner tube for like $4, cut it to length and slide onto your pistol grips for great grip improvement without adding bulk. 1 tube yields 10+ sleeves. Tight fit, slim profile, super cheap.

The quoted post here compelled me to share. It works great for my purposes and I hope someone out there might benefit from the idea.

Can’t resist sharing a thought:

Years ago I was looking at some junk in the garage and cane across a bicycle tire inner tube. I’m known to suffer from sweaty palms from time to time, so always used Hogue slip on rubberized grip sleeves on my pistols.

LSS: You can buy 1 inner tube for like $4, cut it to length and slide onto your pistol grips for great grip improvement without adding bulk. 1 tube yields 10+ sleeves. Tight fit, slim profile, super cheap.

The quoted post here compelled me to share. It works great for my purposes and I hope someone out there might benefit from the idea.
Talked to Talon Grips and they said if they had more requests for the DT grip panels, they would make them. We all should contact them!

I wonder if the BLK/BLK are cerakoted (I like that) like the FDE/FDE models, or if DT uses a different finish. Can somebody shed some light on this?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a 6x47 Lapua barrel in their DT? If so, what's your general impression of the caliber, velocity, etc.

Dang! And you still need more height?? Running 3” high rings or what??

I got a custom cheek pad made by Wiebad that’s a little thicker than the hoptic one. I actually had to put my cheek piece all the way down to get good sight picture. I’m running a 34mm spuhr 1.5” high

I saw that while I was trying to catch up and send them an email. I’ll shoot them an email and see if they’ll make me one too.
How does it attach?

I’m running a super precision mount but I put that on top of an adjustable base. Ya I have quite a bit of height.

How much more do you need to go. You could always file the slots a bit to make them more oblong to give you a bit more adjustment

I thought about that. I am really good at screwing stuff up so I thought I’d look into some more commercial options first. I think I’m going to have to do a combination of all the suggestions.

I saw that while I was trying to catch up and send them an email. I’ll shoot them an email and see if they’ll make me one too.
How does it attach?

I’m running a super precision mount but I put that on top of an adjustable base. Ya I have quite a bit of height.

There’s a Velcro backing that sticks on to the stock piece.

Please shoot them an email.
I sent them a email. Mentioned srs and mdr. Said I thought covert was the same as the srs but not sure about the hti. Maybe someone else can chime in. Covert ,srs, and hti same size grip? Oh and sweet rig WeiserBucks ??

Reactions: Jeffd
Just got a S&b 3-20 pmii ultra short, what scope mount would you guys recommend to mate with the scope? So many options out there, I really like the QD mounts as well. Thanks in advance guys/gals

I sent them a email. Mentioned srs and mdr. Said I thought covert was the same as the srs but not sure about the hti. Maybe someone else can chime in. Covert ,srs, and hti same size grip? Oh and sweet rig WeiserBucks ??

I have been exchanging emails and mo from talon grips said all they need is a set of skins to make the design off of somebody wants to be the guinea pig?

Today's the day ! ! !

I finally have a rifle again, not just a chassis and a good scope

Nice.....I got my 300 Norma barrel from SAC on tuesday. I'm going to wait for lapua brass though before I shoot it. I have a .308 barrel as well so I have that to itch the trigger finger.