• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Forgot to mention,
How are you guys cleaning the barrel?
Since you can't clean it like a conventional action with the rod guide.
Are cleaning from the muzzle end or removing the barrel?
Is the rear pad removable so you can slide in the rod guide?
Remove the rear butt pad, spacer and bolt and use a DT bore guide. Easy

Again guys appreciate all the input,will definitely be looking into an A1 soon.
where are you guys getting yours from?
Is it better to buy the chassis only and barrels from SAC or someone else in terms of accuracy?

Again guys appreciate all the input,will definitely be looking into an A1 soon.
where are you guys getting yours from?
Is it better to buy the chassis only and barrels from SAC or someone else in terms of accuracy?

I like dealing with Rob from Special Purpose Rifles. Factory barrels shoot great but it's hard to beat a custom barrel so you get exactly what you want.

Reactions: platapus
The barrel length is not fixed, but is largely determined by caliber rifling length requirements. The rifle pictured on the website is a 28" overall barrel length with 20" of rifling. 26"-30" is a common length due to most long action cartridge rifling length requirements for proper velocity, but many short action calibers can be quite short with minimal, if any, velocity/performance loss. Really, any customer requested overall length within reason can be built. Overall length is determined by the customers desired rifling length + 8".

Finished barrel diameter is is 1.25", which is actually the exterior of the titanium sleeve over the barrel. The 28" barrel in .308 on the website weighs 3.8 lbs, which is lighter then the factory desert tech barrel if I remember correctly.

We can chamber any caliber that reasonably feeds from the Desert Tech magazine, though this is tentative as we currently only have experience with .308.

Please let me know of any other questions you may have.

Frank Charuk

General Manager

Shop- (832)759-9634

I just take the barrel out of the receiver. Its quicker than pulling the pad and bolt and sticking the guide in. I don't do a lot of cleaning though....just when accuracy starts to drop. I'd rather wear it out with bullets and gas.....instead of brushes and patches.

Frank

Forgot to mention,
How are you guys cleaning the barrel?
Since you can't clean it like a conventional action with the rod guide.
Are cleaning from the muzzle end or removing the barrel?
Is the rear pad removable so you can slide in the rod guide?
Cleaning is easy, I just remove the barrel and clean the action when I need to. Its easier then a typical rifle .

Does anyone have any accuracy reports with factory 300win and 338L barrels
Is there a huge difference in accuracy between factory barrels and the Bartlein and other brands offered by the other smiths?

Does anyone have any accuracy reports with factory 300win and 338L barrels
Is there a huge difference in accuracy between factory barrels and the Bartlein and other brands offered by the other smiths?[/QUOTE. When I did my part , 3/8moa with my factory dt 308win . Smk 180 gr and varget.

Fun project we did. Will probably make the game warden take a double look.
・・・
@romeo_whiskey338lm
I’m pretty sure I have the most badass muzzle loader out there. Definitely the most tactical. This is my @desert_tech custom SRS-A1 Muzzloader. Built by @estactical in .45. Shooting 372 gr. Parker Bullets at 2600 FPS. 115 grains of Blackhorn 209 by weight. That’s a 200 yard group I shot without swabbing the bore. #elkhunter

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_134034_454.jpg
    IMG_20180925_134034_454.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 176
・・・
@romeo_whiskey338lm
I’m pretty sure I have the most badass muzzle loader out there. Definitely the most tactical. This is my @desert_tech custom SRS-A1 Muzzloader. Built by @estactical in .45. Shooting 372 gr. Parker Bullets at 2600 FPS. 115 grains of Blackhorn 209 by weight. That’s a 200 yard group I shot without swabbing the bore. #elkhunter

What case are you using?

I would like to hear more about this setup as well, it would give me more options for deer hunting

ES-Tactical, that is a very interesting muzzle loader set up , do you plan on selling conversions? Your receiver or skins and handguard look different. I like it. Definitely most badass.

That muzzleloader is nasty! It figures after I just set up a remington uml... Although what do you do, carry a range rod to load it? Ballistics look really impressive though with that load.

・・・
@romeo_whiskey338lm
Did you make the custom handguard from an original?

FYI- looks like SAC is getting close with the lefty .223 conversion kits

I wouldnt get too excited. The 223 parts were allready being made by another party (RH stuff). LH stuff might be in solid works phase. Now they are gona do it themselves? I would guess its gona take some time to get that figured out and going from scratch.

The handguard and receiver was talked about on here 20-30 pages back. It was machined for one of dudes working for DT, I want to say the owner is Russ Wallis or Jeff Woods. I can't remember, but there's no plans for it to be ever done for anyone else.

It was machined for maximum weight loss without being detrimental to the rigidity of the receiver. If you notice the skins are different too.

What’s the lightest A1 barrel you’ve seen, and how was it done? I have a 25” 6.5 creed straight skinny taper that is about 3.9 lbs with extension. Obviously the covert barrels can shave more weight, but thinking along the lines of hunting magnums that benefit from 24”+ barrels.

I had ES Tactical build me a LH twist 1-10 .308 23" barrel. I can tell you I have found it very easy to shoot. I am a right hand shooter and with the recoil the scope comes right back on target much easier. I have done a couple of .250 groups with only 216 rounds. This thing is sweet. The guys at ES Tactical are super and will help you any way they can. Highly recommend them for all of our work.

What’s the lightest A1 barrel you’ve seen, and how was it done? I have a 25” 6.5 creed straight skinny taper that is about 3.9 lbs with extension. Obviously the covert barrels can shave more weight, but thinking along the lines of hunting magnums that benefit from 24”+ barrels.

There is no reason that after the shank we couldn't copy a #3 or #4 contour forward. The majority of the weight is in the shank.

My 22 cal barrel is 4 lb 15oz with TBAC brake, 26”

They are also lighter if you order them with a big hole through the middle.
450 Bushmaster

Attachments

• 20180930_194825.jpg
    20180930_194825.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180930_194816.jpg
    20180930_194816.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180930_194833.jpg
    20180930_194833.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180930_195313.jpg
    20180930_195313.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 94
Speaking of barrels with decent sized holes in them how many of you guys have been keeping track of the 8.6/ .338creed stuff going on over at Q I'm thinking that when things kick off a 16" covert with a can would be a pretty sweet setup for that round.

Speaking of barrels with decent sized holes in them how many of you guys have been keeping track of the 8.6/ .338creed stuff going on over at Q I'm thinking that when things kick off a 16" covert with a can would be a pretty sweet setup for that round.
I've watched it a bit. It will need SAAMI approval and factory ammo before I get too excited.

I have a 12.7X48 barrel. Does that count as a big hole in the middle? .510 makes the walls a bit thinner. 17" length. I think its lighter than my 16" 338BR barrel.

Frank

I've watched it a bit. It will need SAAMI approval and factory ammo before I get too excited.

From what I have heard he already has Hornady backing on the ammo and is actually working with them. Heard through Q instagram they are working together to get reliability in gas guns and keep the round affordable.

Couldn't find this information in Google or Bing searches, posting for those curious

Desert Tech Hard Target Interdiction Length of Pull
I get 16 13/16" in line with the trigger
I get 16 15/16" in line with the barrel, where the butt pad is thickest.
IMG_20181004_112201865_BURST001.jpg

Keywords
DT HTI LOP
DTA HTI LOP

Reactions: rydah
Pretty stoked to have just picked up my first SRS A1. Have been eyeing one for quite some time and was able to convince the wifey to finally let me get one.
Previous owner had DT time it for both handguards for a quick switch without needing the tool.
I'll be shooting 6.5cm and 300wm.
Here's a couple pics-

Attachments

• 20181005_164640.jpg
    20181005_164640.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 99
  • 20181005_163829.jpg
    20181005_163829.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 93
Pretty stoked to have just picked up my first SRS A1. Have been eyeing one for quite some time and was able to convince the wifey to finally let me get one.
Previous owner had DT time it for both handguards for a quick switch without needing the tool.
I'll be shooting 6.5cm and 300wm.
Here's a couple pics-
Well dang, I bought the covert handguard with tool. Wonder how they timed it to make it work without the tool

Well dang, I bought the covert handguard with tool. Wonder how they timed it to make it work without the tool
I'm a noob to the platform so I have no idea. I'm sure coldbore or someone else can chine in on that. I just unscrewed the 4mm bolt, took out the key, threaded on the HG and it was spot on for each.

The easiest way with the older gen 1 rifles was to face off the rear of the handguard to line up when it was properly timed. Same way we do brakes, suppressors (for some) and anything else that needs timing. With the Gen II I'm not sure its necessary. The internal threaded piece will keep turning in the receiver til the handguard bottoms out as far as I know. You just need the tool to do it.

Frank

Does anyone know by chance what gunsmith Oakland Tactical uses to spin their custom DT barrels and what blanks they use?
Sent them an email but never heard back.
Curious on these details as I've been talking with a gentleman here who has one for sale.
Appreciate the help!

Is there any of you gentlemen in here ho can provide me vith the barrel specs for the dta srs ?
I have an older one and want to have another barrel spun up by my gunsmith but would prefer not to take off the barrel extension on my 338 lapua barrel .
Dta is happy selling rifles abroad but wont export the barrel specs they have for sale on their web page

I’ve got a question about painting the skins on the Desert Tech. I finally bought a Desert Tech last fall. I was going to get one from Primal Rights and get it with either ODG or FDE and have the receiver and hand guard in one color and the skins another. But I ended up buying a rifle that was all black, why? Because I got a steal on the entire rifle package. I got the rifle for the price of the chassis alone! I had to ask them several times if that was the right price and they said it was, so I drove an hour to the store that had the rifle. When they started to ring it up the guy realized that I was quoted the wrong price. I felt bad because I knew that was way below dealer cost, but they honored the price regardless! So I bought some extra stuff just because of that. Now, what is that best way to paint the skins? I would like to have a 3-4 color paint scheme but not sure what is the best paint to use. Or if I could find another set of skins in ODG or FDE I would just go that route.

That looks really good. I don’t have a paint gun or anything like that but I’m debating on getting some type of kit with everything you need. I’ve got a bunch of the thin vinyl that you cut the shapes with a exacto knife. I’ve got a 6 Creedmoor barrel coming that’s 22” so it will just stick out far enough for my suppressors to fit. I think I’m going to just paint the skin and factory barrel and leave the action and hand guard black. After you finish painting do you put any type of clear coat or top finish to keep it from scratching and protecting it from being knocked around?