• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can the monopod be ordered seperately to fit the original stock on the recon scout. My rifle is 12-18 months old and did not have a monopod when i bought it. </div></div>

PM Later. ask him </div></div>

PM SR90 he owns the company...

Your rifle will have to be sent in to retrofit your rifle with the new monopods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your rifle will have to be sent in to retrofit your rifle with the new monopods. </div></div>

Cost? Turnaround time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave-

Last time I heard the monopod was about a $335 option. </div></div>

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave-

Last time I heard the monopod was about a $335 option. </div></div>

Thanks </div></div>

"Jesus"...a Redman bag is good for me.

The monopod is lighter and more stable and always there, a bag isn't.
smile.gif
We spent several months developing it and it is the fastest adjusting monopod on the planet.

I was never a monopod lover, actually I always hated them, thought they were way too bulky, too tall, and very slow to adjust. I used to say monopods were for guys that didn't know how to shoot. We had no plans on building one but we had a very large client that told us we weren't getting a contract unless we made a monopod for the SRS so I reluctantly agreed to make one. We could have made a cheap piece of crap like many do but our motto at Desert Tactical is that if we can't make something significantly better than what's available on the market then we don't build it. I figured if I had to make one I would get rid of all the things I hated about monopods:
1. Our monopod is completely out of the way when not being used.
2. Our monopod is superfast to adjust.
3. When making fine tuned adjustments with our monopod then your sight picture is dead stable because the bottom of the monopod doesn't rotate and slide the rear of the rifle all over during adjustment.
4. Our monopod is lightweight.
5. Our monopod is durable.

During development we tested the rifles stability with the monopod versus your hand or a bag and we found that the arc of movement was reduced to 1/4 the size when compared to resting on a hand and less than 1/2 when compared to resting on a bag. After running our monopod for three months I don't want to go back, maybe I'm becoming a sissy but my groups in the field are less than 1/2 the size on average with the monopod.

^^^^^^^ Dammit, you guys need to stop doing this. Making new stuff like you have been doing might cost me a fortune!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The monopod is lighter and more stable and always there, a bag isn't.
smile.gif
We spent several months developing it and it is the fastest adjusting monopod on the planet.

I was never a monopod lover, actually I always hated them, thought they were way too bulky, too tall, and very slow to adjust. I used to say monopods were for guys that didn't know how to shoot. We had no plans on building one but we had a very large client that told us we weren't getting a contract unless we made a monopod for the SRS so I reluctantly agreed to make one. We could have made a cheap piece of crap like many do but our motto at Desert Tactical is that if we can't make something significantly better than what's available on the market then we don't build it. I figured if I had to make one I would get rid of all the things I hated about monopods:
1. Our monopod is completely out of the way when not being used.
2. Our monopod is superfast to adjust.
3. When making fine tuned adjustments with our monopod then your sight picture is dead stable because the bottom of the monopod doesn't rotate and slide the rear of the rifle all over during adjustment.
4. Our monopod is lightweight.
5. Our monopod is durable.

During development we tested the rifles stability with the monopod versus your hand or a bag and we found that the arc of movement was reduced to 1/4 the size when compared to resting on a hand and less than 1/2 when compared to resting on a bag. After running our monopod for three months I don't want to go back, maybe I'm becoming a sissy but my groups in the field are less than 1/2 the size on average with the monopod. </div></div>

I don't think anyone's debating how well engineered or beneficial the monopod is. I think most of the comments I've heard is about the price. $350 parts + $100 labor seems steep for reducing your already small groups (mins shoots .3-.5 MOA) by half doesn't seem cost effective. If the monopod was available when I bought my chassis, I probably would have went for it though.

Guys,

There is another positive aspect of the monopod system that is not being spoken of and that is the new buttpad release mechanism.

Here is the older(original) version release..
img_1877.jpg

Here is the new (monopod) version release..
img_1878.jpg

As some of you may or may not know the older version can get kinda hard to activate in cold weather when fingers are numb and such lol...The new version is a quick and easy push button type that I have found way easier to operate in the cold Utah weather.

Thanks

I want to confirm I understand what is needed to retrofit the monopod.
Do I have to remove the existing side panels and mail them back or do you just go ahead and mail a replacement set of panels to me with the monopod for the $350?

My understanding is that you have to send the entire chassis back to DTA. Plus, iirc, there is a $100.00 fee to retrofit.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Oh sure. I order mine with two conversions while i was in Iraq and now i can get it cheaper.
grin.gif
Def want the monopod which wasnt an option when i bought mine. But must say, 100 meters, center of all rounds touching, def worth every penny i spent on it.

Very Nice. How's the give on that Mono-pod? Any concern of it flexing on high round count weapons? Will the HTI have a wider diameter one built in also? I cant imagine that the SRS would have any issues with that Mono-pod but would venture to guess that a larger one would be necessary for a .50BMG or .408CT Thoughts?

On our HTI prototypes we installed the same monopod and we haven't had one fail yet, testing is still preliminary and time will tell if we need a larger monopod tube for the HTI. We can take the monopod in our hand with the spike fully ejected and wack it hard on a workbench and it doesn't hurt it.

Mine came in today. OD/OD 338/308 combo. US Optics SN3 next week. Unfortunately I'm leaving to work remote for up to a month. Range report when I get back to town. Monopod fit and function is impressive.
IMG_1186.jpg

How does the .50bmg compare to say a Barrett? Better accuracy or the same? On the fence right now about getting a Barrett 50bmg. I chose the SRS over building a M40A3 and/or buying the Barrett 338. I know the SRS has a better accuarcy then the Barrett 338. If accuaracy for the HTI is better, when i do purchase a 50bmg i would def go with HTI. If anyone could shed light on this question for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MGC---The chassis will have to go back to DTA for the monopod retrofit because it is not as simple as putting new stock panels on receiver and inserting monopod. The monopod is actually machined into the receiver, skins are modified, buttpad connection assembly replaced with new push button version.

AJ---As SR90 mentioned..in the testing conducted so far I have seen no reason to increase the size dimensions of the monopod for the HTI platform and I have shot the BMG with a very unforgiving muzzle brake in terms of recoil and I actually hold the monopod with my support hand and have found no significant reason not to use same size monopod in the production version of the HTI platform.

Ravkin---Accuracy at this point in the testing has been pretty good but testing is nowhere near complete. We have to continue T&E of muzzle brake designs that deal with recoil and muzzle blast cone of such short rifle in big caliber. The accuracy is better than the Barrett as it stands right now but I do not have "official" accuracy numbers to release yet. I will start up T&E of muzzle brakes for the HTI again tomorrow and will get some group shots rounded up.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ravkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the .50bmg compare to say a Barrett? Better accuracy or the same? On the fence right now about getting a Barrett 50bmg. I chose the SRS over building a M40A3 and/or buying the Barrett 338. I know the SRS has a better accuarcy then the Barrett 338. If accuaracy for the HTI is better, when i do purchase a 50bmg i would def go with HTI. If anyone could shed light on this question for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Do you reload 50BMG? Accuracy can be tough to come by. If you are planning on shooting ball-its a moot point. How is the barrel chambered? Is it a "hybrid" chamber 0.565"neck or a standard ordnance chamber? 1/15" twist? Length? Later, seems to be on the leading edge here of design and that design points to a Hard Target interdiction stick-1moa ? Shouldn't be too hard to beat Barrett accuracy.HTI is ALOT of loot,but if 408 and 408/375 is in the future it will be worth every penny.

Personally I wish them luck. A good design-put it in production and run with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Addicted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is that you have to send the entire chassis back to DTA. Plus, iirc, there is a $100.00 fee to retrofit. </div></div>

Yes you have to send it back. So it's $350 + $100 + shipping both ways. So it's a ~$500 add on once it's all said and done.

Here is my SRS 243 load

44.5gr Ramshot Hunter
105gr A-Max
federal 215 primer
3025 fps

shot this today at 1k and posted a sub 4" group in 10 mph 1/2 value wind. My SRS really likes this one

I bit the bullet and ordered a deployment kit in 338 yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive. May have an AWSM for sale soon.......... :)

I went the deployment kit route too. I was going to just get Chassis and 338/308 conversions but decided on the Dep Kit in 338. Im holding off on the 308. Not sure what I want to do. Might go 260 instead since I already have a 260 Gas gun.

Can anyone from DTA comment on the .260?. At Shot there was talk about a .260 conversion directly from them as well as a 26" .308 barrel.

I would buy the 260 also...... My only reservation with the deployment kit was their choice of bipod. Do any of you guys have experience with the GGG?

Streetbob,

I run that bipod on mine also. I actually prefer it over the others because of how easy it is to run it back and forth on the rail. By doing that I can adjust the pivot angle of the rifle very very easy while at same time it can also act as a fine tune adjustment for elevation.

11-114.jpg

11-116.jpg

17.jpg

streetbpb and Mute - Krieger will set you guys up with a .260 for the DTA SRS. They have done a 6.5 CM as well.

streetbob - I just ordered a Atlas for mine as well. I have a tricked out harris bipod from Phoenix tactical that I am going try out as well and evaluate which one to use. I'll probably have a little write-up done here in a couple weeks.

Patches,I had the Atlas on mine(just didn't feel as comfortable to me) and am gonna go with the GGG. Tried my Harris w,pod lock and Claws,it worked well with an ARMS(harris to rail QR adapter) allowing movement of the bipod forward and back as well.The bipod seems to work better mounted closer to the center of the barrel than at the muzzle. My .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bit the bullet and ordered a deployment kit in 338 yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive. May have an AWSM for sale soon.......... :) </div></div>

Just sold my AWSM and put my order in for the .338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patches,I had the Atlas on mine(just didn't feel as comfortable to me) and am gonna go with the GGG. Tried my Harris w,pod lock and Claws,it worked well with an ARMS(harris to rail QR adapter) allowing movement of the bipod forward and back as well.The bipod seems to work better mounted closer to the center of the barrel than at the muzzle. My .02 </div></div>

Dave-
Thanks for the info. I'm still awaiting it's arrival....
I've heard that about the mounting of the bipod. I was told to try it behind the second flush cup from the front of the forearm. I think that is what I'm going to try first. Apparently mounting it up front with the 22" .308 barrel creates a bit of hop. I know a bunch of people like the Atlas. It's made here in Wichita and the machine shop is one of my customers that I call on. So I figured, "what the hell, why not support a local buy and give it a try."

I was a little concerned with the 8" height of the GGG. Personally for me, in the past, the lower the better, I may even run the Atlas with the legs at a bit of an angle.

Also, thanks for you contributions to this thread.

bipod smipod... they're for fat old SEALS.......
grin.gif
my favorite way to shoot the dta is either offhand or off the top of my kifaru tailgunner, the balance and overall design lend to offhand, and when angle shooting it really seems to come together.
DSCF0003-4.jpg

face blurred to protect the stomaches of the innocent, this is downhill, steel at about 530 yds, too easy, going to try the 338 lapua the same way this weekend at longer ranges.

patches,

I run the Atlas on my DTA and really like it. They are made very well and are a precision tool. You will enjoy yours. Everyone has different preferences, but I found mine to be very comfortable and stable. I feel like it exceeds the performance of the Harris bipods even though I really like the Harris bipods as well.

I think I have it squared away in the Deployment Kit order, subing in the GGG for the Harris. Cant wait the month to get it here.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patches,I had the Atlas on mine(just didn't feel as comfortable to me) and am gonna go with the GGG. Tried my Harris w,pod lock and Claws,it worked well with an ARMS(harris to rail QR adapter) allowing movement of the bipod forward and back as well.The bipod seems to work better mounted closer to the center of the barrel than at the muzzle. My .02 </div></div>

Dave-
Thanks for the info. I'm still awaiting it's arrival....
I've heard that about the mounting of the bipod. I was told to try it behind the second flush cup from the front of the forearm. I think that is what I'm going to try first. Apparently mounting it up front with the 22" .308 barrel creates a bit of hop. I know a bunch of people like the Atlas. It's made here in Wichita and the machine shop is one of my customers that I call on. So I figured, "what the hell, why not support a local buy and give it a try."

I was a little concerned with the 8" height of the GGG. Personally for me, in the past, the lower the better, I may even run the Atlas with the legs at a bit of an angle.

Also, thanks for you contributions to this thread.

</div></div>

Also GGG is here in Tucson. I'll be taking out the .338 kit and using my suppressor this weekend on both .308 and .338. I'll give a little report. I should have a better idea if I really need the AI AW's and the PGW's after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also GGG is here in Tucson. I'll be taking out the .338 kit and using my suppressor this weekend on both .308 and .338. I'll give a little report. I should have a better idea if I really need the AI AW's and the PGW's after that. </div></div>Looking forward to your comparison with the AI.

I've been reading this thread with great interest, and I've decided I'm going to have to start a DTA fund. I've been to the website and one question I have is about the weight of these rifles. I was suprised to see they weigh as much as they do considering their compact size. For those of you that already have one of these rifles set-up, what's the weight of your complete rifle w/ scope, rings, etc? I'm guessing 13-14 lbs. Is that about right? Thanks!

Mine with 22" 308 barrel, Premier 5-25, empty mag, AAC 762hd, atlas bipod, and sling comes in at 19 lbs.

Also with the DTA mount.

I am considering either one of these or an AI-AW.

I do have a question. I apologize if it has already been asked and answered elsewhere. However, what is the 'long term' effect of taking the barrel in and out on: (1) the barrel and (2) the rifle itself? I have read that the barrels return to zero with consistency when re-installed, but my concern is over the 'long haul.' Has anyone had their barrels in and out a 1000 times yet (just an example)? What is the durability of this lock-up? What tests have been run to evaluate it.

Just an update on the Atlas bipod. If you are wanting one it's going to take a bit. Kasey told me to expect several weeks before it can go out due to them being swamped with military orders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering either one of these or an AI-AW.

I do have a question. I apologize if it has already been asked and answered elsewhere. However, what is the 'long term' effect of taking the barrel in and out on: (1) the barrel and (2) the rifle itself? I have read that the barrels return to zero with consistency when re-installed, but my concern is over the 'long haul.' Has anyone had their barrels in and out a 1000 times yet (just an example)? What is the durability of this lock-up? What tests have been run to evaluate it. </div></div>

Thats a good question. The Barrel extension has a groove that sits at 6 o'clock to orient the barrel.It seats easily. I wonder how the lock mechanism works and also how long the 4, 2.5mm clamp screws will last and how they hold the barrel as well. I always use the torque wrench to tighten. Are there any detailed pix of the barrel extension engagaged and locked/unlocked? Or any illustrations of the pinch bolts and barrel lock? Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

I personally like the weight of the rifle. The bulk of it is in the rear so its not bad to carry around. I have both the .308 and .338lm. Harris bi-pod, NF 5.5-22x50mm. Even tho its butt heavy it still is very maneuverable and easily deployed. To me it doesn't weigh any more then my m4 with an ACOG, laser, forward grip, tac light and full mag. I have changed barrels about thirty times between showing friends how its done and just getting used to doing it. Shots are still dead on. Just my two cents.