• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
002ey.jpg

.338 26" Barrel,S&B 5-25 PMII,Harris W/Arms QR Mount,AWC SS T- Trap,empty mag,DTA 40moa mount. 19lbs at the bathroom scale </div></div>

I like it! I like it a lot! I think I am going to have to get a suppressor for mine. Can't wait to hear your range report on the supressed 338 LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats a good question. The Barrel extension has a groove that sits at 6 o'clock to orient the barrel.It seats easily. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I wonder how the lock mechanism works and also how long the 4, 2.5mm clamp screws will last and how they hold the barrel as well.</span></span> I always use the torque wrench to tighten. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Are there any detailed pix of the barrel extension engagaged and locked/unlocked? Or any illustrations of the pinch bolts and barrel lock?</span></span> Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks. </div></div>
Thanks for that explanation - and the excellent pic. These are really sharp looking weapons and from what I have read - accurate.

I had a friend who had a HS Precision (308/300WM) set up. It had what is called a wedge (I think) to assist in lock up. It wore out in about 100/200 barrel changes. Now, this was a long time ago and from what you describe above the lock up sounds different on the DTA. However, before I order one (I have a set-up priced out), I'd like to know about the testing and evaluation of this aspect of the weapon. In addition, I'd like to see the answer to those questions you raised.

Off to the range to shoot a friend's AI - again.
cool.gif

338sr2.jpg
338sr1.jpg

So I shot the .338 26" for the first time. Had a short time at the range before the rains came. Winds were 20-25mph across the range. Zeroed at 100 and then shot this group. This platform is fantastic. Last week I shot the .243 and .308 barrels and was duly impressed. I used my .338 Suppressor on this go and it was a pleasure to shoot. Compared to my AWSM,they are very similar. The AI trigger has a nicer feel and break to it but its shades of grey,not black and white. When the DTA is fired with the factory brake on the .338 barrel,there is very little muzzle jump with the bipod centered on the barrel. Recoil is akin to a .308.My AWSM with the 26" barrel has more recoil than the DTA. Dollar for dollar,the DTA in my opinion, is a better value due to its easy, multiple caliber barrel changes. I'm hard pressed to say the DTA is a better rifle,but IMHO it doesn;t give up much to the AI.If I had to own 1,it would be the DTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey TucsonDave, nice shooting. How did you like the GGG bipod? </div></div>

Thats off the harris. The GGG is supposed to be here on Wed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha, if you think about it give us an update comparing the two. </div></div>

Oh I will.
smile.gif

Tucsondave that is EXCELLENT shooting. Congrats on a great rifle and day at the range. I may move on one after those questions above get answered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats a good question. The Barrel extension has a groove that sits at 6 o'clock to orient the barrel.It seats easily. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I wonder how the lock mechanism works and also how long the 4, 2.5mm clamp screws will last and how they hold the barrel as well.</span></span> I always use the torque wrench to tighten. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Are there any detailed pix of the barrel extension engagaged and locked/unlocked? Or any illustrations of the pinch bolts and barrel lock?</span></span> Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks. </div></div>
Thanks for that explanation - and the excellent pic. These are really sharp looking weapons and from what I have read - accurate.

I had a friend who had a HS Precision (308/300WM) set up. It had what is called a wedge (I think) to assist in lock up. It wore out in about 100/200 barrel changes. Now, this was a long time ago and from what you describe above the lock up sounds different on the DTA. However, before I order one (I have a set-up priced out), I'd like to know about the testing and evaluation of this aspect of the weapon. In addition, I'd like to see the answer to those questions you raised.

Off to the range to shoot a friend's AI - again.
cool.gif
</div></div>

I'll try to explain the barrel lock up. The four bolts are threaded nearly to the other side of the receiver. The receiver has a small slit cut (small gap if you will) in it where the barrel engages it; the cut is parallel to the bore. The four screws cross this cut and are threaded on each side. The effect of tightening them down is to close the gap, thus grabbing the barrel. The lock is just a rising barrel block that keeps it from being pulled out or slipping in the receiver. It is similar (but much stronger) to a semi-auto handguns take down lever. It doesn't grip the barrel, but does keep it from sliding. The block is at the front of the engagement surface.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">It is important to always use the torque wrench!</span> The receiver is Al, so it is possible to strip the cross bolts threads out. Truth be told, it would be possible even if it was steel, just harder. Considering the Al alloy (7075 if I recall correctly), there is no risk of stripping them out when using the torque wrench. The engagement surface is approx. 6" long and 1.25" in diameter...lots of engagement.

I don't think anyone has had theirs long enough to really test out how many changes the system can handle. Looking at the design and materials used, I don't think it is going to wear, but there are no guarantees in life. I have not done an extensive test yet to determine if the POI changes with barrel changes (same barrel of course, some POI shift is expected if swapping barrels/calibers). I tried it twice and didn't notice any shift, but I only had short ranges to shoot at (100 and 200 yards) those days. Got mine too late in the year to finish load development and all the testing.

It is also very important that you have the bolt closed in the barrel before tightening the cross bolts down so that it head-spaces correctly.

Thanks for the explanation. That helps somewhat. I am not convinced yet of the weapon's endurance for multiple changes. I am now somewhat concerned that one may accidental strip the cross bolts threads as well. This is going to take some more thought before I act ...

Thanks again. This really does help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the explanation. That helps somewhat. I am not convinced yet of the weapon's endurance for multiple changes. I am now somewhat concerned that one may accidental strip the cross bolts threads as well. This is going to take some more thought before I act ...

Thanks again. This really does help. </div></div>

I'd look at it like this...if your using the proper tools and there's a problem....then you send it back for them to fix. People are very fond of using that excuse for high end optics.

I honestly I think this is a non issue. Use the right tools and you have nothing to worry about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the explanation. That helps somewhat. I am not convinced yet of the weapon's endurance for multiple changes. I am now somewhat concerned that one may accidental strip the cross bolts threads as well. This is going to take some more thought before I act ...

Thanks again. This really does help. </div></div>

DTA says right on their website that it is 7075-T6. The problem is alloys matter and people get the wrong idea about Al when they use the wrong alloy. 7075-T6 is aerospace grade, good stuff. Take a look at it when compared to 4140 steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy
T6 temper 7075 has an ultimate tensile strength of 74,000 - 78,000 psi (510 - 538 MPa) and yield strength of at least 63,000 - 69,000 psi (434-476 MPa).

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/coldfin2.phtml?page=around&LimAcc=$LimAcc
Tensile Strength 95,000 PSI, Yield Strength 60,000 PSI min.

When using the correct torque wrench is is not possible to strip the threads out. It is always possible to over-tighten a bolt. At some point either the bolt or the receiver will give. With the torque wrench it isn't going to happen, 7075-T6 is way too strong.

Lilja uses 416 stainless steel of 24-25 Rockwell hardness (http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_making/details_of_accuracy.htm). DTA doesn't use Lilja, but most barrels are very similar. 7075-T6 is Rockwell B87; i.e. much harder! Most people don't know that barrel steels are actually pretty soft. A good, hard knife is approx. Rockwell 55-62 and they can cut barrel steel. I've seen it done. This gunsmith took a pocket knife, not even a very good one, and cut a benchrest barrel blank (no loss as it was going to be cut down some). This same smith had built some harder barrels as R&D for a customer and at some point they started blowing chunks of the barrel out with each shot. They are fairly soft for a reason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale

The point is the barrel will wear much faster than the receiver will. The difference between Rockwell 25 and 87 is massive! You would have to slam the barrel into it to do any damage to the receiver.

Edit: Despite the 50 or so changes I've done there is no wear on the barrels and since they are much softer there is no wear on the receiver.

Again, this information is very helpful. Thank you for the time you put into this. I am going to follow the links you have provided - and possibly others - and then make a decision.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, this information is very helpful. Thank you for the time you put into this. I am going to follow the links you have provided - and possibly others - and then make a decision.

Thanks again. </div></div>

No pressure.
cool.gif

I love mine, but I'm sure someone likes their rifle better. I would recommend calling DTA and asking them if they have sold any rifles in your area. They won't give you the buyers info, but you can give them yours and they can contact the buyer and see if they are willing to show you it. I've had them call me once asking if I wouldn't mind showing the rifle off. Got to show off my rifle, its pros and cons (nothing is perfect), see some of their rifles, and made a new long range shooting friend. Good time all-around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streetbob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha, if you think about it give us an update comparing the two. </div></div>

Oh I will.
smile.gif
</div></div>

And don't forget the Atlas. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You never remove the 4 2.5mm screws from the chassis. All you do is loosen them. I agree w/Poison,its a non issue. You won't be sorry if you make this purchase. </div></div>Sorry, I did not see this earlier. I understand they do not get completely removed, however, my main concern is the effects of screwing and unscrewing them over time. In normal wear and tear on a screw/receiver, etc. you would think the threads would finally wear? If so, how long does this take? If so, how much does it cost to repair, etc.? From what I understand the warrnaty is 3 years, right?

I am studying the links given and others I'm finding to try to determine this on my own and will call DTA tomorrow for more information.

I need to stop reading these threads.....its starting to lean me towards wanting one
crazy.gif

Just don't go out and shoot one, or the leaning will be over. They are really nice, and I haven't found much of anything I don't like about mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't go out and shoot one, or the leaning will be over. They are really nice, and I haven't found much of anything I don't like about mine. </div></div>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to stop reading these threads.....its starting to lean me towards wanting one
crazy.gif
</div></div>

I already past that stage and now I am in the waiting for mine to ship.

D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't go out and shoot one, or the leaning will be over. They are really nice, and I haven't found much of anything I don't like about mine. </div></div>

Lack of monopod...fixed, but it ain't cheap.
Lack of real camo coatings...fixed with cerakote, just wish I could have ordered it that way.
Switch to release buttplate is a pain...fixed on the new rifles and retrofitted to the old with monopod upgrade.

Thats all I can think of besides I wish they were cheaper so I could buy two!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunderwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lack of monopod...fixed, but it ain't cheap.
Lack of real camo coatings...fixed with cerakote, just wish I could have ordered it that way.
Switch to release buttplate is a pain...fixed on the new rifles and retrofitted to the old with monopod upgrade.

Thats all I can think of besides I wish they were cheaper so I could buy two! </div></div>

and there it is in a nutshell, they keep making improvements to this system and I'd hate to order one and then find out in a few weeks, they've changed something, again, and I'm stuck with the old, or a pricey retrofit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the "old" one and I know I have the option to upgrade. </div></div>

I'm with you there Tucson...though I've got to say the 400+ for the monopod upgrade is a little disappointing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the "old" one and I know I have the option to upgrade. </div></div>

I'm with you there Tucson...though I've got to say the 400+ for the monopod upgrade is a little disappointing. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the "old" one and I know I have the option to upgrade. </div></div>

I'm with you there Tucson...though I've got to say the 400+ for the monopod upgrade is a little disappointing. </div></div>

To add the monopod to a new rifle costs $350. To upgrade is the monopod cost $350 plus a retrofit cost of $100. Factor in that the cost of the chassis went up much more than $100 from the initial orders and retrofitting will actually cost less overall.

Edit: The monopod is the only change which requires modifications to the gun. Everything else is really cosmetic except the button release. Every other manufacturer is doing these minor upgrades to their stuff too. Get two "identical" rifles manufactured a couple of years apart and compare them. They probably won't be exactly the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunderwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the "old" one and I know I have the option to upgrade. </div></div>

To add the monopod to a new rifle costs $350. To upgrade is the monopod cost $350 plus a retrofit cost of $100. Factor in that the cost of the chassis went up much more than $100 from the initial orders and retrofitting will actually cost less overall.

Edit: The monopod is the only change which requires modifications to the gun. Everything else is really cosmetic except the button release. Every other manufacturer is doing these minor upgrades to their stuff too. Get two "identical" rifles manufactured a couple of years apart and compare them. They probably won't be exactly the same. </div></div>

Yes, and I think the 350 for it on a new rifle is a little over priced. But it is what it is. I'd rather use a Redman bag for what 1/4 or 1/5 of the cost.

Personally I am happy to have the option to upgrade, it means that these guys are only as happy with their product as we are, and are constantly improving it. And on top of that, the upgrades are designed to be retrofit-able on the older rifles, I sure wish I could trade in my Gen 1 Ipod and have a touch screen put on it!
I for one am all over the monopod after beating myself up this morning for wasting a 6$ shot at 1,400 yards, those will add up pretty quick, so in theory, I'm saving money by getting the monopod! Now I'm thinkin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to stop reading these threads.....its starting to lean me towards wanting one
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Keith, it looks like you need one of these in your life....
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Keith, it looks like you need one of these in your life....
wink.gif
</div></div>

Why I sat here and tried to think of something witty to say...all I can come up with is "You're probably right"!!!
crazy.gif

Anyone aware of one of these being sold in Montana? I'm a lefty and pretty concerned about the issues inherent with the bullpup. Would be great to shoulder one without going all the way to SLC which is 8 hours away.

My buddy is a lefty also. Said the grip felt natural, didnt have any brass hit him and it wasnt difficult to use the bolt.

Yeah, I have mixed reviews on this, some guys say it's no problem. Personally I would have to see/feel it it believe it. At a minimum I know that I would have to lift my head after each shot to cycle another round.

I've thought about recruiting a bunch of lefties to see if we could get DTA to do a left hand run. There're downsides to that route as well though.

My buddy would be down for a lefty DTA. He always says he is gonna steal mine. lol.

markspring1978, I'm only a few hours west of you just past lewiston, I doubt you could make it over lolo pass right now, but if you're headed to the SE part of WA anytime soon you can shoot mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ravkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy is a lefty also. Said the grip felt natural, didnt have any brass hit him and it wasnt difficult to use the bolt. </div></div>

I've heard the same, but I'm not a lefty. The only negative I've heard from lefties is they must lift their check weld to cycle the bolt. I.e. the bolt handle and your chin can't exist in the same space at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poundcake8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I am happy to have the option to upgrade, it means that these guys are only as happy with their product as we are, and are constantly improving it. And on top of that, the upgrades are designed to be retrofit-able on the older rifles, I sure wish I could trade in my Gen 1 Ipod and have a touch screen put on it!
I for one am all over the monopod after beating myself up this morning for wasting a 6$ shot at 1,400 yards, those will add up pretty quick, so in theory, I'm saving money by getting the monopod! Now I'm thinkin! </div></div>

Improvements are a good thing for all of us... Nothing starts out perfect... Mine will be here this FRIDAY!!!!!! Black/Black, Monopod, GGG Bipod, 338LM :)

Can't wait for the factory to build a left hand version.

Andy

Alright all you non right handed wierdos out there, after some PM conversations I wanted to post these photos to make it clear to everyone what we're dealing with.
- left handed cheek weld is fine, the ejection port does not effect comfort there.
DSCF0001-1.jpg

- cycling the bolt, with the handle all the way up its about to enter my nostril, obviously one would be lifting their head prior to this.
DSCF0002-6.jpg

- bolt all the way to the rear, clearly there is no way around coming all the way off the stock.
DSCF0004-2.jpg

- ORRR. good ol left hand right eye if you can do it works just fine, faster then greased lightening on the rapid bolt manipulations too.
DSCF0005-3.jpg

I hope this helps somebody.

Thanks for the photos Poundcake. Looks like I just need to become a right-handed shooter.

By the way, I resent the "non-right-handed-weirdos" comment.
laugh.gif

My mom is left handed so I had to grow up thinking I was the short bus rider, now I know the truth!
If you can learn to use your right eye you will be wickedly versatile on the guns.

I know it won't take overnight to learn but I think it's doable. In the meantime I can probably gut it out on the left side with this gun.

Anyone know what the lead time on the SRS is right now?

002ag.jpg
003am.jpg
004gb.jpg
005fn.jpg

Some Photos of GG&G Bipod,this is the XD Model </div></div>
A few of us used these and i enjoyed them till their weaknesses came to light. The springs fell out and once that happend these bipods were about useless. Also the tightening knob for the 1913 rail comes loose during heavy quick firing, found out the hard way wrong time, also as for buffer technologies thick plastic looking one of my soldiers had them and they were heavy unweildy and buly ass all heck. Out of all the bipods I have tried you can't go wrong with the tried and true Harrises BR, love em, alot cheaper and alot sturdier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">app. 30 days </div></div>

Congrats Doc </div></div>Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not buy one yet - just priced one out. I am still researching this - and actually leaning another direction at present.