• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Seriously, can we put together a team for this? If we can get Desert Tech to support in some way I could probably float some support from my shop. We would need a good chance at the $10k though.

Reactions: xdeano
How does the SRS shoot in 300 Win Mag? The conversions seem to be hard to find now which seems to indicate that they weren't that popular or didn't work right?

I think I'd rather go 300WM instead of 338LM as I don't need the range of 338LM and I have lots of heavy 308 bullets to use.

Is there a good place to find a kit at hopefully less than full retail?

I have a gen 1 1/11 300wm conversion. It's a laser with 208 amax and h1000.

How does the SRS shoot in 300 Win Mag? The conversions seem to be hard to find now which seems to indicate that they weren't that popular or didn't work right?

I think I'd rather go 300WM instead of 338LM as I don't need the range of 338LM and I have lots of heavy 308 bullets to use.

Is there a good place to find a kit at hopefully less than full retail?
Go 300 norma!

Why dont you hear about guys using the hti for the ko2 mile competition? Are they not as accurate as a barreled action setup?

Xdeano
Because most of the best long range shooters are left handed and they don't make a left hand HTI !
All of you mediocre right hand ELR shooters who win these comps can thank Nick for letting you win them.
Sarcasm filled rant over, but I'd still like to have a left Hand HTI Nick !!!!!

SJC

Because most of the best long range shooters are left handed and they don't make a left hand HTI !
All of you mediocre right hand ELR shooters who win these comps can thank Nick for letting you win them.
Sarcasm filled rant over, but I'd still like to have a left Hand HTI Nick !!!!!

SJC

? i guess you'll just have to go with the flow and learn the right way.
All kidding aside, there are a surprising amount of good left handed shooters, I know quite a few.

Xdeano

My .300WM barrel is more precise than my 6.5cm barrel. The reason you don't see it that much is because of the calibers available to us. Most end up running a hot 7mm or step up to the .300 Norma.

If I could do it over again and still lived in North Dakota, I would of went .300 Norma.

My .300WM barrel is more precise than my 6.5cm barrel. The reason you don't see it that much is because of the calibers available to us. Most end up running a hot 7mm or step up to the .300 Norma.

If I could do it over again and still lived in North Dakota, I would of went .300 Norma.

Good to know...thanks!

I just don't have any use for the 338 based cartridges as I don't have any way to shoot beyond 1400yds at the very most within 3 hours of me so 300WM would be a better fit cost wise I think.

I just don't have any use for the 338 based cartridges as I don't have any way to shoot beyond 1400yds at the very most within 3 hours of me so 300WM would be a better fit cost wise I think.

If you reload, go with the Norma. I use my 6.5 out to 800ish and then switch to the .300 when I plan on shooting beyond 800. The Norma would make 1400 a touch easier and also allow you to run with the .338 guys beyond 1400 if the need ever came up.

I ended up with the 300 WM due to the cost difference and factory ammo availablility. If I lose brass I’m not out $2-$3 ea. Running the numbers the Norma does outperform the WM after, say, 1000-1200 yards or so. The Norma is a great caliber, but If I’m going to invest in an ELR caliber, I’m going all the way and would pick something like a 33xc or 37xc to extend my range.
That’s no hate for the Norma, but for the casual shooter that doesn’t get the opportunity to stretch out past 1000 much anymore, the 300 WM works for me.

Reactions: MACHTECH
I've searched the thread and come up short, so sorry if asked and answered. In terms of bipod position on a covert vs full length, how is the stability? I run Atlas.

99% of my shooting will be 500yds and in suppressed so short makes sense. But switching to a 26" barrel at 1k yards will I wish for the longer platform?

I know I can buy both handguards, but would rather pick one and stick with it.

It's all personal. Longer forearm will be more stable. If a short forearm will be stable enough for 1k is up to you.

My covert with a 32 in 338 Lapua heavy barrel is quite stable with the harris bipod I've been using for everything. No need for the long handguard as far as I'm concerned. Others think it makes the rifle more solid. Up to you.....

Frank

Thanks for the feedback, with zero "its a bad idea" in. I'm going with if others can make it work, so can I.

As a AI guy I have an itch that needs scratched in owning a DTA as well. I prefer the A1 over the A2 but like the idea of the new trigger. Any idea is they are backwards compatible and you can buy just the new trigger group?

As a AI guy I have an itch that needs scratched in owning a DTA as well. I prefer the A1 over the A2 but like the idea of the new trigger. Any idea is they are backwards compatible and you can buy just the new trigger group?
Same here - do it! I was able to put together rifle and scope combination for less than the A1s were listed for a few months back.

did someone ever tried to stuff a SRS without barrel into a covert soft case/backpack? difference in length should be around 6", wonder if it is still doable.

Has anyone had a chance to shoot a new A2? need Some feed back, trying to decide between a new A2 or a AXSA.

You guys that are planning to grab a covert and run a 16” Barrel be cognizant of your scope bell hanging at or off the end of the hand guard, especially if your running a can, you don’t want hot gas spraying your lens. Most large 5-25 scopes will hang over depending on your scope location in the rings and on the rail.
Can we circle back to this? My covert HG is coming Monday for the 16" Creedmoor barrel I have. I currently have an NF 7-35 Which I was planning to sell to get the mil-xt reticle, but now I'm worried it won't fit. I would also prefer to not go to a 3-18 as I want a higher top end mag for when I put on the 300NM barrel and really reach out. Anyone had a simisimilar situation?

Can anyone tell me the length of the covert handguard so I can measure?

Last edited:
@DTDustin what are the thread specs on the monopod? (Where it attaches to the chassis)
This information has never been publicly released before, so I have to get some approvals. Standby. Maybe someone here is handy with measurements and has the tools to provide you that information quicker than I can.

This information has never been publicly released before, so I have to get some approvals. Standby. Maybe someone here is handy with measurements and has the tools to provide you that information quicker than I can.
Thanks. Also, can you give me the length of the covert handguard? Trying to figure out if it the NF 7-35 will fit

Thanks. Also, can you give me the length of the covert handguard? Trying to figure out if it the NF 7-35 will fit

This may help for perspective. It’s a S&B PMII 5-25 which is of similar length on a Covert.
C7FB65D8-DC34-46C9-B192-4845B561690F.jpeg

Curious if anyone here knows some barrel specs on the HTI 375 CT barrel
Make: Lothar-Walther
Groove: 6?
Metal: (SS or CM)?
Cut or button?

And do you think the 10.5" twist will be enough to spin a Cutting Edge 350grn Lazer (suggested twist 10"). I know the 350 MTH will stabilize with the 11" twist. Id really like to see how they open up on game, from coyotes to deer and elk.

Thanks,
Deano

i clicked through a few pages then i got lazy.

what is the min weight you can get a covert down to (minus bipod, scope, rings, no suppressor) prob 300 win mag

thinking of taking it on a hunt, but there might be some serious rucking at times. i dont mind a few pounds but im not doing a 17 lb rifle.

Curious if anyone here knows some barrel specs on the HTI 375 CT barrel
Make: Lothar-Walther
Groove: 6?
Metal: (SS or CM)?
Cut or button?

And do you think the 10.5" twist will be enough to spin a Cutting Edge 350grn Lazer (suggested twist 10"). I know the 350 MTH will stabilize with the 11" twist. Id really like to see how they open up on game, from coyotes to deer and elk.

Thanks,
Deano

Mine stabilizes the 352 Mtac single feeds just fine. I don't have all the specs on the barrel, but it is extremely accurate.
IMG_20190205_143935673.jpg

@DTDustin what are the thread specs on the monopod? (Where it attaches to the chassis)

I may have it somewhere. I've modified a goodly number of Gen 1 rifles to take the bipod when they weren't pre-drilled/tapped for the monopod.
Need to get down to the shop but I'm going to wait til the rain slows a bit.....

Frank

Anyone else get ahold of a new A2 and have thoughts about the new trigger? Good or bad?

I have the opportunity to pick up a basically new(but used) SRS-A1 covert with a 22” Bartlien 308 barrel or spend $1800 more to order a new SRS-A2. I would love the weight savings, just not sure if 2lb savings and a question mark for a trigger is worth $1800 more.

Anyone else get ahold of a new A2 and have thoughts about the new trigger? Good or bad?

I have the opportunity to pick up a basically new(but used) SRS-A1 covert with a 22” Bartlien 308 barrel or spend $1800 more to order a new SRS-A2. I would love the weight savings, just not sure if 2lb savings and a question mark for a trigger is worth $1800 more.

Some of the weight savings as I understand it is from flutes in the barrels. FYI

Some of the weight savings as I understand it is from flutes in the barrels. FYI

Ya I figured the weight savings would be a combination of barrel flutes, chassis lightning, and no more monopod. I also can’t decide if I would want a monopod either as ive never used one.

I’m in Canada so there aren’t many around to go put your hands on.

Ya I figured the weight savings would be a combination of barrel flutes, chassis lightning, and no more monopod. I also can’t decide if I would want a monopod either as ive never used one.

I’m in Canada so there aren’t many around to go put your hands on.
I am shopping the A1 A2 question right now. I've had monopod on many rifles, and now prefer a rear bag so not an issue for me. You can add one later to the A2, so no rush either.

I talked with DT and picked up 2 key points. First the person I talked does believe the A2 has more precision potential based upon tests they ran using the same barrel(s) on each platform.
Second was that people were having trouble adjusting the A1 triggers so the A2 trigger was probably an effort to simply the process rather than improve it.

I'm left believing the A2 might make a group a hair smaller for a very tiny group of people and the A1 will have a more versital range of adjustments.

I am shopping the A1 A2 question right now. I've had monopod on many rifles, and now prefer a rear bag so not an issue for me. You can add one later to the A2, so no rush either.

I talked with DT and picked up 2 key points. First the person I talked does believe the A2 has more precision potential based upon tests they ran using the same barrel(s) on each platform.
Second was that people were having trouble adjusting the A1 triggers so the A2 trigger was probably an effort to simply the process rather than improve it.

I'm left believing the A2 might make a group a hair smaller for a very tiny group of people and the A1 will have a more versital range of adjustments.
That "test" they are basing improved accuracy on was anecdotal at best, so don't let that factor in at all. At shot, one new trigger was phenomenal, another was not great, and most were good, but not quite as good as my A1

That "test" they are basing improved accuracy on was anecdotal at best, so don't let that factor in at all. At shot, one new trigger was phenomenal, another was not great, and most were good, but not quite as good as my A1

And reading stuff like this makes me super hesitant about the A2

I wouldn’t be hesitant about getting an A2. Though I’m with Winny- the testing process seemed pretty limited to come up with the 36% greater accuracy narrative.

At shot, one new trigger was phenomenal, another was not great, and most were good, but not quite as good as my A1

Interesting... what made the one trigger feel "not great" compared to the other triggers?

I shoot five shot groups that you can cover with a dime pretty regular with my srs a-1 in 300 norma! I don’t see how I could improve upon that 36 percent!

Yeah but that’s just a barrel. Anyone can do that for you, or take a 1/2 shot-out barrel and have it turned to shave off some weight.
IMO, swapping scopes and spinning off my monopod will save plenty of weight, both of which I have done in the past.

Reactions: Snipe260
Yeah but that’s just a barrel. Anyone can do that for you, or take a 1/2 shot-out barrel and have it turned to shave off some weight.
IMO, swapping scopes and spinning off my monopod will save plenty of weight, both of which I have done in the past.
Agree!

Is it easy to remove the monopod from the A1?

I’m interested in this too
They had more takeup than I prefer. (Having said that, I did the Primal Rights mod to my safety, so my A-1 trigger has no disernible take up to me)

Don't get me wrong, I like the A2, but I can't say it's any better or worse than my a1, just different. In a perfect world, they would offer both and refer the A1 as the 'match' or 'tactical' model and the A2 as the 'hunter' model.

Last edited: