• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Anyone have solid information about any specific agency running these for duty? I know they have some government contracts. Curious about any LE.

Just got a SRS A-1 today, hopefully gonna shoot in the next few days if the weather allows.
How well do they return to zero after a barrel swap? Do you find they’re a little off, or do they usually return right back to their same zero/POI?
Are there any tips to help with this, like holding a slight twisting tension on the barrel as you’re torquing down the screws? I thought I saw a video a while back where a guy talked about that, but haven’t found it again.
Anything else would be greatly appreciated. I’m really excited to get out with this thing!!
495DD481-88EC-4424-9A34-9ACE52CC7D05.jpeg

Just torque down the barrel in the same order each time. Should return to zero with
Little if any deviation.

Jlike holding a slight twisting tension on the barrel as you’re torquing down the screws? I thought I saw a video a while back where a guy talked about that, but haven’t found it again.

I believe the video you are referring to is the review performed by John McQuay from 8541 Tactical. He mentioned putting a clockwise or counterclockwise twist may eliminate POI shifts but was unable to try it as he thought about it after he was done with the review.

Just got a SRS A-1 today, hopefully gonna shoot in the next few days if the weather allows.
How well do they return to zero after a barrel swap? Do you find they’re a little off, or do they usually return right back to their same zero/POI?
Are there any tips to help with this, like holding a slight twisting tension on the barrel as you’re torquing down the screws? I thought I saw a video a while back where a guy talked about that, but haven’t found it again.
Anything else would be greatly appreciated. I’m really excited to get out with this thing!!View attachment 7021705
Anything else would be greatly appreciated. I’m really excited to get out with this thing!!View attachment 7021705
Before you tighten the barrel you have to close the bolt, this pretty much locks the barrel in place so the barrel is already tight when you begin lock it down so I wouldn’t think twisting the barrel would have much effect. Mine usually requires .1-.2 mils of adjustment to return to zero after a barrel swap

Anyone have solid information about any specific agency running these for duty? I know they have some government contracts. Curious about any LE.

I think the Arizona State Police use thiers on thier SWAT snipers.

My guess is that either the trigger on the A2 will be something that can be tweaked by a good smith. If not then whoever is supposed to be making useable triggers for the MDR will step up and improve the A2 as well., at least for those who like the adjustments found on the earlier rifles. I like my Gen 1 rifle's trigger and would hate to give up the adjustment I've got. I have small hands and the ability to move the trigger back where I can reach it without stretching is really nice. I also have a zero slack setup that I like. Its wonderful for target shooting and since I don't hunt with this rifle I've got no problems. Those two features aren't on the A2. Not sure what they 've really gained by dropping the adjustments but I'm not involved in their production. Maybe it saves a lot on costs or time.

As for the claims of better accuracy I can't say. I can't see it being any different really but oftentimes it doesn't take much to change a group smaller or larger. I don't care about the weight since I don't haul this thing through the woods but some might. At least its something available for those who do want it.

Frank

Reactions: cro789
Does deserttech no longer make the green replacement skins for srs a-1?

They made green skins for the A1??? I thought those died with the Gen1???
I have the srs a-1 in od green. Just wondering why they discontinued. If I ever have to replace. Guess I’ll have to paint chassis

I have the srs a-1 in od green. Just wondering why they discontinued. If I ever have to replace. Guess I’ll have to paint chassis

Huh, learn something new everyday. Never knew the OD skins made it to the A1. Would love to see photo's

Fairly certain there was a post from DT on here stating lack of popularity was the reason for discontinuing.

Reactions: Snipe260
Huh, learn something new everyday. Never knew the OD skins made it to the A1. Would love to see photo's

Fairly certain there was a post from DT on here stating lack of popularity was the reason for discontinuing.
Check out my avatar!

Reactions: goosed
I would bet most of the A2 weight savings are in the barrels, with the receiver cuts, handguard, and monopod in the "nearly negligible" category.
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen a weight comparison for just the chassis.

I would bet most of the A2 weight savings are in the barrels, with the receiver cuts, handguard, and monopod in the "nearly negligible" category.
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen a weight comparison for just the chassis.

I agree. All those things being aluminun it's probably not much weight but reducing the barrel contours and more fluting in the steel parts would be a good chunk.

I’m wondering the same thing on the weight from A1 to A2 chasis. I have the A1 and want to upgrade to A2 with 24” hunter profile since I use it hunting quite a bit. Be interesting to see if 90% of the weight savings are barrel and monopod. If so, then I could just order the conversion kit instead of a new chasis too.

If I were you, I'd contact one of several reputable barrel makers and get a custom barrel made to your "hunting" specs. It could be just as light and probably not much more expensive than a factory barrel.

Can anyone confirm the weight of the monopod. Ive seen 4.6 oz, 6 oz, and 12 oz. Id measure it myself if I was home. Right now I have too much time on my hands and trying to figure out how much weight I can drop. So far if it is 4.6 oz, Ive dropped 19.4 oz changing Atlas PSR Tall to TBAC Bipod; Vortex Razor G2 4.5-27 to Nightforce ATACR 7-35, and taking off the red dot and ACI.

Ive confirmed the weight of the A1 chassis at 89.6 oz. 108.8 oz with 308 bolt, SA 6 round magazine, and bolt stop (19.2 oz for those 3).

Also dont forget the savings in the fluted bolt. Those ounces add up. With all the receiver cuts Id Imagine 8-10 oz of aluminum is removed from the receiver alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkp401119
Now with more 300WM goodness.

Almost done. I just need to receive the ARC M10 Unimount as I need 20MOA and a little taller than the NF that's on it currently offers.

It weighs 14.8lbs in 308 and 15.0lbs in 300WM as pictured.

Attachments

• KIMG0742.JPG
    KIMG0742.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: skhanhnara

I have the green skins on my A1, here's a pic-

Attachments

• 20181215_115643.jpg
    20181215_115643.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 20181110_115105.jpg
    20181110_115105.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 241
Covert owners: has anyone found a backpack that will secure the rifle while still being fairly discreet? I see the factory option, but with all of the pouches/ sleeves on the side, it's pretty obvious what's inside.

Question:

I have convinced the wife that a SRS Covert will be a new hunting rifle and will fit it with a carbon fiber 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC barrel. Desert Tech has announced via their website that they will support the A1's for the next "5+ years" for parts. On their Facebook, they have stated at least 10 years per their MIL contracts.

Question is, are these parts worth upgrading to a A2 for future support? If I do pick up SRS, I don't plan on selling it any time soon, so what parts are ging to be eliminated from existence? Any chance of another company producing parts? I prefer the full length rail of the A1's over the A2's. The trigger seems to be undecided whether its better yet or not on the A2's and the smoothness of the bolt and cycling. I am not interested in the weight savings of fluted barrels. I will most likely be running carbon wrapped barrels for the weight savings. Other than the 'parts' not being offered, I am looking to try and pick up a SRS Covert chassis before they are all sold out.

Reactions: culater
Covert owners: has anyone found a backpack that will secure the rifle while still being fairly discreet? I see the factory option, but with all of the pouches/ sleeves on the side, it's pretty obvious what's inside.

I use a Eb. Low Drag to carry mine in but I really wouldn’t call it discreet. However I can remove the can and stuff a rain jacket on top of it and you would never know it was there, until you tried to pick it up!!

Question:

I have convinced the wife that a SRS Covert will be a new hunting rifle and will fit it with a carbon fiber 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC barrel. Desert Tech has announced via their website that they will support the A1's for the next "5+ years" for parts. On their Facebook, they have stated at least 10 years per their MIL contracts.

Question is, are these parts worth upgrading to a A2 for future support? If I do pick up SRS, I don't plan on selling it any time soon, so what parts are ging to be eliminated from existence? Any chance of another company producing parts? I prefer the full length rail of the A1's over the A2's. The trigger seems to be undecided whether its better yet or not on the A2's and the smoothness of the bolt and cycling. I am not interested in the weight savings of fluted barrels. I will most likely be running carbon wrapped barrels for the weight savings. Other than the 'parts' not being offered, I am looking to try and pick up a SRS Covert chassis before they are all sold out.

Personally I haven't seen that much savings in Carbon Barrels , Proof being the only maker at the moment, over the new lighter barrels. Christensen Arms is upgrading their shop to produce more barrels this year, lets hope they make some DT barrels. I would go A2, why not get the newest, lighter rig. My A1 is heavy as hell!

Question:

The forearm, rails that attach to the forend, and trigger group, everything else is interchangeable.

The new 6.5 CM hunter barrel is actually lighter than the Proof Research barrel. Where Proof CF barrels show their weight difference is similar contoured steel barrels.

I use a Eb. Low Drag to carry mine in but I really wouldn’t call it discreet. However I can remove the can and stuff a rain jacket on top of it and you would never know it was there, until you tried to pick it up!!
im really considering this. i dont typically go on miles long hikes, so it'd get used like more of packable case. is the scabbard area fairly well padded? Could it be safely thrown in a car truck and not have to worry about other trunk items bumping it, rolling onto it, etc.

I just picked up my new Covert A2 Chasis and must say my first impression was to be startled at how light it is. The rear butt pad looks more comfortable then my A1. Other observation is trigger looks like total redesign and is comfortable. I am putting a short 308 SAC barrel on tonight and will post pictures wheni have a chance to shoot it over the weekend. It appears to feel better to carry and it looks as when it is barreled it will balance out well.....won’t know until I shoot it...

Personally I haven't seen that much savings in Carbon Barrels , Proof being the only maker at the moment, over the new lighter barrels. Christensen Arms is upgrading their shop to produce more barrels this year, lets hope they make some DT barrels. I would go A2, why not get the newest, lighter rig. My A1 is heavy as hell!

I have spend more then a few dollars for carbon fiber barrels from the big 2 makers and have decided to carry more weight in exchange for better accuracy at less cost...I was very disappointed...but this is just my experience...the theory is good.

im really considering this. i dont typically go on miles long hikes, so it'd get used like more of packable case. is the scabbard area fairly well padded? Could it be safely thrown in a car truck and not have to worry about other trunk items bumping it, rolling onto it, etc.

Yes it padded very well, I should clarify that I leave the tail of the scabbard tucked in and can still conceal my covert with my 16” barrel. The pack is pretty much a day pack as it pretty small on the storage side. They come up for sale pretty often in the PX section.

I just picked up my new Covert A2 Chasis and must say my first impression was to be startled at how light it is. The rear butt pad looks more comfortable then my A1. Other observation is trigger looks like total redesign and is comfortable. I am putting a short 308 SAC barrel on tonight and will post pictures wheni have a chance to shoot it over the weekend. It appears to feel better to carry and it looks as when it is barreled it will balance out well.....won’t know until I shoot it...

Please post up these photos when available. Thanks

Anyone able to send me the actual barrel specs for an srs? Im mean specifically the blue prints. They were up a while back but i was unable to download em.

I think more pictures of the A2's in the wild would help make up my mind. While I love the look of the A1's, the functionality of the A2's may win over.

Just got a new 338 Lapua barrel from ES Tactical, really impressed with it so far! Ill include a comparison picture for size reference, can’t wait to see how it shoots!

Barrels:
28 in, 338 Lapua, Straight Contour, ES Tactical
26 in, 6.5 CM, DTA Contour, Desert Tech
22 in, 308 Win, Medium Palma, ES Tactical

E5C524D1-BC91-4458-8731-16C62DB7A363.jpeg

688401D3-7795-4582-950D-C7A10E6FE7D0.jpeg

41ABE7C8-7F47-4A7D-9F58-3D522DF988FC.jpeg

7EBF98F3-3B2E-45F2-801E-D23D0B60BF1B.jpeg

Just got a new 338 Lapua barrel from ES Tactical, really impressed with it so far! Ill include a comparison picture for size reference, can’t wait to see how it shoots!

Barrels:
28 in, 338 Lapua, Straight Contour, ES Tactical
26 in, 6.5 CM, DTA Contour, Desert Tech
22 in, 308 Win, Medium Palma, ES Tactical

View attachment 7026386
View attachment 7026387
View attachment 7026388
View attachment 7026389

I'm about to order a 338 lapua barrel from Es tactical. I'm leaning towards a 32" tapered to .900" at the muzzle. I recently got a 7-300 norma barrel from him and it shoots great.

I do like the green. I am going to keep my A1 in .308 and get a new bolt for it. I will get a covert in 6.5 later after there has beens some in the field for awhile.

I promised to end a picture of my A2 when I could get to it! First Impressions are the gun is amazingly light, actually feels better balanced and the trigger is definitely an improvement. I put a new Short Action Custom Short Bartlein barrel on it without a problem. I compared it to my A1 and on weight alone, I would pick it up first to shoot. The real test is on the range however, so I’ll reserve judgement until then....
9D7D0DCA-E13D-49A8-83E8-6142A63C8F96.jpeg
9D7D0DCA-E13D-49A8-83E8-6142A63C8F96.jpeg

Attachments

• 35F8CAFD-E8DC-4F68-A611-BADC25745470.jpeg
    35F8CAFD-E8DC-4F68-A611-BADC25745470.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 136
  • EA408043-8709-449F-A52F-D6E8D4D722D5.jpeg
    EA408043-8709-449F-A52F-D6E8D4D722D5.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 153
I promised to end a picture of my A2 when I could get to it! First Impressions are the gun is amazingly light, actually feels better balanced and the trigger is definitely an improvement. I put a new Short Action Custom Short Bartlein barrel on it without a problem. I compared it to my A1 and on weight alone, I would pick it up first to shoot. The real test is on the range however, so I’ll reserve judgement until then....View attachment 7027996View attachment 7027996

How does the new 36% smoother action feel?

Reactions: 65x55guy
It is in 308...at first the bolt was a little ruff but after oil and working it back and forth a few times it will defnately wear in smoother then the A1. I was actually using an A1 bolt, not the new A2 bolt. Glad you asked because it was noticible without having to bother with comparing back and forth...I did not even think about it at the time....

Is it possible to switch the gen 1 quad rail to the a1 handguard? I feel like it should be possible but can't seem to find any parts available. I'm fairly new to these rifles so any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible to switch the gen 1 quad rail to the a1 handguard? I feel like it should be possible but can't seem to find any parts available. I'm fairly new to these rifles so any help would be appreciated.

Yes, but it may not align properly (per DT's post on page 209).

What’s the end goal here? To go Covert length with your Gen 1?
If so, go back to page 206, post #10,272. That may be an option for you.

Last edited:
Tonight I had time to dry Fire my new A2 posted above. I shot prone with the A1 next to the A2 and NO BS, the new trigger is crisp with short Take upi/ It is miles ahead of the A1...so far all the “pro mo” is accurate and no fluff. Accuracy test is next...I will be interested as there is an obvious amount of less tension when clamping thebolt in when compared to A1....

Reactions: odoylerules