• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

These are my knobs. One groove for the standard bolt face, two for magnum and three for Lapua. At some point I may redo the Cerakote to have the grooves in Patriot Brown to make them pop a little more.

Attachments

• 1A01B926-7742-4C77-94C6-F3A6FDF9FA8D.jpeg
    1A01B926-7742-4C77-94C6-F3A6FDF9FA8D.jpeg
    925.1 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: wade2big
These are my knobs. One groove for the standard bolt face, two for magnum and three for Lapua. At some point I may redo the Cerakote to have the grooves in Patriot Brown to make them pop a little more.

I think that’s an excellent system. If I didn’t already have four bolts (I have two DT rifles) with my color coding system, I’d do this for sure.

I know this gets asked every few months... Who does everyone prefer to go to for barrels now? Currently considering a 16.5" 6.5CM, and liking ES-Tactical but always open to suggestions.

Also 6.5CM or settle for a .308? Use is normally paper/steel out to 800 yards, with the occasional coyote within 400.

Last edited:
I know this gets asked every few months... Who does everyone prefer to go to for barrels now? Currently considering a 16.5" 6.5CM, and liking ES-Tactical but always open to suggestions.

Also 6.5CM or settle for a .308? Use is normally paper/steel out to 800 yards, with the occasional coyote within 400.

For years, I went through FireGuyTy, but he handed over the business to someone else. I ordered a 25 Creedmoor barrel from ES Tactical about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I've heard nothing but good things about ES, but this will be my first barrel from them.

The only barrel maker I’ve used for my SRS is Benchmark. I’ve got four of their barrels for mine in 243 to 338. They all shoot well and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that can compete on price with them. Last one so bought cost me $880 including the extension, muzzle threading and Cerakote.

tjgolf when you talk to them please let the rest of us know what they say.
Spoke with Keith @ Phoenix Custom Rifles this afternoon. He customizes each one based on any design/size and will custom fit them to the specific bolt when you send it to him. He's going to make 2 for me for a total of $70

For years, I went through FireGuyTy, but he handed over the business to someone else. I ordered a 25 Creedmoor barrel from ES Tactical about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I've heard nothing but good things about ES, but this will be my first barrel from them.

I have one from ES and another one that will hopefully be done soon, I think I ordered it back in January. I think DMR is the one that Ty recommended when he stopped selling barrels.

I have one from ES and another one that will hopefully be done soon, I think I ordered it back in January. I think DMR is the one that Ty recommended when he stopped selling barrels.

I think you're right about DMR. How do you like your ES Tactical barrel? I've had Benchmark, Hawk Hill, Krieger, Bartlein, but never a K&P, so I'd like to know how they shoot

The only barrel maker I’ve used for my SRS is Benchmark. I’ve got four of their barrels for mine in 243 to 338. They all shoot well and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that can compete on price with them. Last one so bought cost me $880 including the extension, muzzle threading and Cerakote.
That’s a great price. I use SAC (bartleins, with a Proof on order). They’re phenomenal, but not cheap.

I think you're right about DMR. How do you like your ES Tactical barrel? I've had Benchmark, Hawk Hill, Krieger, Bartlein, but never a K&P, so I'd like to know how they shoot

I have only shot 40 rounds through it so not a lot of help. I will say so far it has impressed me, good groups at short distance and went 3 in a row at a mile with it. For not doing load development, I can't ask for any better results. I have heard great things about K&P barrels.

Are you ordering direct through Benchmark? I know they had Sig drop in barrels, but I didn't think they did DT barrels in house.

Ty used DMR to chamber the barrels he sold.
You can call Benchmark direct (I have) and they will take a barrel off the shelf and chamber it for you, though that’s not to say you can’t call up Hawk Hill or Bartlein and order one (I haven’t tried them to be clear). Most of my barrels have come from DMR via Ty but I have barrels from others and they all shoot better than I can. I don’t see any reason why a K&P barrel would shoot any better or worse than the other manufacturers commonly listed here. If K&P is what ES Tactical uses, then there should be no question since lots of people are providing great feedback. Also doesn’t LRI use a lot of them on their custom jobs?

Reactions: canezach
Are you ordering direct through Benchmark? I know they had Sig drop in barrels, but I didn't think they did DT barrels in house.

Yes, they make the barrels to your spec. They even have the extensions made third party to tighter tolerances than the factory ones.

Directly from Benchmark for the DT's. I didn't know that and I've heard nothing but positive feedback on their barrels. Guess I know where my next barrel will be coming from. Thanks!

Hawk Hill shows they do pre-chambered / pre-fit barrels for the RPR, AI, and Savage right on their website. Its not much of a stretch for them to chamber a Desert Tech barrel; they may, but just don't show it on their website. Benchmark does pre-fit Desert Tech barrels, but their website doesn't mention Desert Tech barrels at all. At the very least, you can order a Desert Tech contour from Benchmark, HH, or Bartlein and ship it to a gunsmith of your choice to have it chambered with an extension. Its probably easier to just get it all done by a gunsmith on this forum.

Point is, there are lots of options when it comes to barrels for our rifles. Desert Tech Factory, DMR, SAC, TS Customs, ES Tactical, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, SPR, 3rd Generation Shooting Supply, Oakland Tactical...take your pick.

Benchmark has always had a minimal website so unless you are “in the know” then you pretty much think they only do barrels. They also barrel actions, bed stocks and Cerakote. My DT barrels are all Palma contours.

I have a covert length 16.5” 6.5CM barrel with 2 boxes through it that I have posted in exchange if you want a barrel right now.

Took the new SAC 223 out and this was done with in the first 50 rounds. This is one of the best shooting set ups that I have ever had. Will post more pictures as the barrel breaks in. The Winchester was match 77gr.

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Juggerxxx
Took the new SAC 223 out and this was done with in the first 50 rounds. This is one of the best shooting set ups that I have ever had. Will post more pictures as the barrel breaks in. The Winchester was match 77gr.
what constitutes a "called" shot?

I did something and knew it like on that one I wasn’t completely set up behind the rifle. And I jerked the trigger. I knew the shot wasn’t going were I wanted to. Then corrected and the other 4 were good.

I currently have a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor as my general plinking 600yd and in barrel for cheap shooting, steel ringing, 100 & 200 yd groups, etc. I have a 30" 300 Norma as my, hopefully, mile barrel. I'm thinking of adding a 3rd for in between.
Steel from 500-1000
Hunting deer to elk sized game from 200-800
Good brass available (or easily necked down) - lapua, norma, peterson, alpha, etc level
Decent barrel life - I like experimenting reloading and don't want to burn a barrel load developing.
Much more performance than my short 6.5 creed and less recoil, cheaper, shorter and lighter than my 300 norma.
I do reload, but would prefer a non wildcat

My first instinct is a 7 SAUM, but curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Last edited:
26" 6.5 SAUM. Uses the same brass as your first instinct. You have lots of backup from George Gardner if there are any issues.
This seems like a great option. And being a simple man myself, I have one in 300 Win mag. But then, I don’t reload.

One of my barrels is a 26” Benchmark in 6.5SAUM. It’s a hammer, 142gr SMK under 61gr of H1000. I most recently bought a 264WM barrel from Benchmark to avoid case forming and to improve feeding. I haven’t really had any time to do anything with it though.

I currently have a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor as my general plinking 600yd and in barrel for cheap shooting, steel ringing, 100 & 200 yd groups, etc. I have a 30" 300 Norma as my, hopefully, mile barrel. I'm thinking of adding a 3rd for in between.
Steel from 500-1000
Hunting deer to elk sized game from 200-800
Good brass available (or easily necked down) - lapua, norma, peterson, alpha, etc level
Decent barrel life - I like experimenting reloading and don't want to burn a barrel load developing.
Much more performance than my short 6.5 creed and less recoil, cheaper, shorter and lighter than my 300 norma.
I do reload, but would prefer a non wildcat

My first instinct is a 7 SAUM, but curious to see what everyone else thinks.
Ive got a 7saum, and it brings hell’s wrath everytime I point it at something. 183 SMK @3000 fps from my 24” Bartlein.

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
Well looks like Im on the right path. Anyone ever research barrel life on a 6.5 saum vs 7 saum?

Agree with the 6.5 saum. I have a 30" ordered for the 800+ yard shooting. It seems like the few times I get the chance to shoot that far, it's so damn windy so I wanted a little more than the 260.

If I recall, George was claiming 2500+ rounds with the 6.5 SAUM. I don't know what typical round counts are like with the 7 SAUM.

I’ve shot my 6.5SAUM many times out to 1400-1500yds and I’ve never felt under gunned (this was at steel).

Short action magazine, feed lips slightly modified. All this talk reminded me I needed to try out SAC magazine kit, so I ordered it yesterday. I’ll report back if it’s a significant upgrade or not.

Short action magazine, feed lips slightly modified. All this talk reminded me I needed to try out SAC magazine kit, so I ordered it yesterday. I’ll report back if it’s a significant upgrade or not.

I have a couple from when Dan made them, they helped out considerably.

View attachment 7066913

Just jumped on the DT bandwagon. ES-Tactical made this A1 for me. 6.5 cm, 26" 1/7.5, .900" taper, Ryan Pierce's muzzle brake.
Tonight will receive a ZCO 527 atop. Can't wait to shoot it!
So awesome. I run a Kahles 525 on my A2 and a NF ATACR 7-35 on my A1 right now. Super excited for you and looking forward to hear your experiences with the ZCO.

Reactions: gnatmm
How do the factory DT barrels compare to some of the aftermarket options out there? I have a couple DT A1 conversion kits that have been serving me well so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with them, and they're pretty cheap to boot.

How do the factory DT barrels compare to some of the aftermarket options out there? I have a couple DT A1 conversion kits that have been serving me well so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with them, and they're pretty cheap to boot.

Factory DT barrels are Lothar Walther steel barrels, which have all shot incredibly well for me, aside from having to rethread the muzzle from 3/4 to 5/8 for my suppressors. Personally, I've shot Krieger, Bartlein, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, and of course the factory Lothar Walther barrels, and I couldn't see a difference between any of them on paper or at distance.

Factory DT barrels are Lothar Walther steel barrels, which have all shot incredibly well for me, aside from having to rethread the muzzle from 3/4 to 5/8 for my suppressors. Personally, I've shot Krieger, Bartlein, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, and of course the factory Lothar Walther barrels, and I couldn't see a difference between any of them on paper or at distance.
I bought several A1 conversion kits that were on sale at EuroOptic and had them all rethreaded to 5/8x24 as well. Good to hear they're not noticeably behind the competition as a baseline.

Lots of good info in this thread too! I'll have to try the washer trick to have mags drop free, I've added a strip of grip tape to the sides of the magazines to aid with one-handed magazine removal but it'd be great if they would drop free instead of requiring some hand acrobatics. That and the pistol grip are my only complaints so far, the weight, balance, length, and accuracy have been superb with my A2.

I haven't taken the skins off to see, but how much structural support is there on the pistol grip? I really dislike the shape of it and was wondering if it'd be possible to chop it off and replace with something else bubba'd on, then hide the seam with some camo wrap or similar. I tried to find some rubber/silicone grip wraps but nobody makes one that's big enough for the SRS grips unfortunately.

Searched around a bit but didn't find anyone else that's previously done grip mods to the SRS of any generation. The skins are relatively inexpensive in case I mess it up terribly and want to revert, but I wouldn't want to modify the metal underneath at all.

I actually have only shot Bartlein barrels in mine, but this is exactly what I would expect. I may pick up a couple of factory barrels at some point.

I bought several A1 conversion kits that were on sale at EuroOptic and had them all rethreaded to 5/8x24 as well. Good to hear they're not noticeably behind the competition as a baseline.

Lots of good info in this thread too! I'll have to try the washer trick to have mags drop free, I've added a strip of grip tape to the sides of the magazines to aid with one-handed magazine removal but it'd be great if they would drop free instead of requiring some hand acrobatics. That and the pistol grip are my only complaints so far, the weight, balance, length, and accuracy have been superb with my A2.

I haven't taken the skins off to see, but how much structural support is there on the pistol grip? I really dislike the shape of it and was wondering if it'd be possible to chop it off and replace with something else bubba'd on, then hide the seam with some camo wrap or similar. I tried to find some rubber/silicone grip wraps but nobody makes one that's big enough for the SRS grips unfortunately.

Searched around a bit but didn't find anyone else that's previously done grip mods to the SRS of any generation. The skins are relatively inexpensive in case I mess it up terribly and want to revert, but I wouldn't want to modify the metal underneath at all.
The washer trick will likely work. If it doesn’t, I encourage you to speak with Meghan in the DT warranty department. She definitely makes an effort to be helpful and has had a lot of conversations with me about this.

As for the grip, I had to get used to it, but now am totally cool with it. My suggestion would be just giving it some more time. But def pop the panels off and see what you think. It’s not hard to reassemble the gun.

Don’t cut that grip off! The skins are one piece.

2CAC7E49-F6C8-4F06-861A-398384786CCC.jpeg