• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

3C3E3FBC-11A4-4611-984B-A0AA5B0280AD.jpeg
SAC conversions arrived. Bartlein 28” 300 PRC and bartlein 16.5” 223… the 308 bolt assembly and 223 bolt head is pretty sweet! Haven’t seen this coating before on a bolt assembly. Seems super slick.

Last edited:
View attachment 7825933SAC conversions arrived. Bartlein 28” 300 PRC and bartlein 16.5” 223… the 308 bolt assembly and 223 bolt head is pretty sweet! Haven’t seen this coating before on a bolt assembly. Seems super slick.
Hey....my bolt isn't shiny like yours, I'm jealous! Congrats, very nice accessories! When you get a chance can you tell me what that 223 barrel weighs? Thanks!

I’ve got a Gen 1 rifle and the first set of bolts were one-piece with the tear drop handle. I got some new bolts around 2012 that had the rounded handle and removable bolt face, both otherwise identical finish. Now that I have an M2 on the way, I ordered a new bolt and it not only has those new flutes on the body, but also that slick new finish. It feels a lot like NP3 but as far as I know Robar is no longer around to make it.

Side note, I ordered a barrel for the M2 well in advance last summer and last I heard from SAC the blank is still on order. If only Gen1 extensions fit…

I’ve got a Gen 1 rifle and the first set of bolts were one-piece with the tear drop handle. I got some new bolts around 2012 that had the rounded handle and removable bolt face, both otherwise identical finish. Now that I have an M2 on the way, I ordered a new bolt and it not only has those new flutes on the body, but also that slick new finish. It feels a lot like NP3 but as far as I know Robar is no longer around to make it.

Side note, I ordered a barrel for the M2 well in advance last summer and last I heard from SAC the blank is still on order. If only Gen1 extensions fit…
Would that be a different finish than an A2? I have no experience with other Gen’s but I’d say mine feels NP3 slick. But like I said, I have nothing else to compare it to.

Perhaps? I have only gotten my grubby hands on bolts made in 2009 and 2012. This newer design could be what came with the A2 or is just a further refinement?

Hey....my bolt isn't shiny like yours, I'm jealous! Congrats, very nice accessories! When you get a chance can you tell me what that 223 barrel weighs? Thanks!
Will do! Just got to work, I’ll weigh this evening when I get home.

Yeah I don’t know what finish it is, I emailed SAC to see. It’s more of a chrome/shiny cerakote almost it seems compared to the other standard A2 assemblies. It’s definitely a standard A2 bolt with the fluting and all that. Just a different finish.

By the way, my slick shiny bolt came directly from DTA, so it’s not a finish that SAC is adding.

Reactions: deersniper
My 24" .223 SAC made barrel weighs as much or more than the 26" DT barrels I have so far... probably a scoshe more rather than just as much. It's really quite a heavy profile. Gotta be 7-8lbs.

Reactions: GoingTheDistance
Damn nice! I’d a thought it was an SAC thing. You said you think it’s NP3?
It seems like NP3 - has the look and feel, but the surface is a bit more diffuse than the smooth NP3 parts I've had done in the past. Who knows what it is exactly? I highly doubt it's NP3 only because the company making that finish went under at the start of the pandemic. Nevermind, it seems like NP3 as a product has been taken over by another company after Robar's demise.

Thanks for the barrel weight HenryTheAce. Wanted to compare it to my SAC 16.5" (sans flutes). It does make a bit of difference in weight reduction

IMG_3132.jpg

Thanks for the barrel weight HenryTheAce. Wanted to compare it to my SAC 16.5" (sans flutes). It does make a bit of difference in weight reduction

View attachment 7826911
Lol meant, almost 4lbs not 14! but yeah, shaves some weight off. My 16.5” 450 bushmaster with same spiral flutes is 3lb 4oz (so another 10oz lighter than the 223rem barrel)…. Must be because of that big ol 45cal hole vs 223

New barrel was just dropped off by the gunsmith today. Its a thicc one for 26 inches. 6gt with a 338 ultra on it.

Attachments

• 20220313_172821.jpg
    20220313_172821.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220313_172745.jpg
    20220313_172745.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 67
  • received_996962997880865.jpeg
    received_996962997880865.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: GoingTheDistance
Lol meant, almost 4lbs not 14! but yeah, shaves some weight off. My 16.5” 450 bushmaster with same spiral flutes is 3lb 4oz (so another 10oz lighter than the 223rem barrel)…. Must be because of that big ol 45cal hole vs 223
When I saw 14 I thought you meant the whole rifle :LOL:

Adding/removing spacers isn't working for you?
I actually don't know... My m2 hasn't arrived yet. I just saw a thread about adjustable butt pads and was curious. My other bolt gun is in a mpa chassis with a lot of adjustments... Thought it might be nice. Honestly, with how slow it has been to get parts lately, I figured I'd start looking sooner rather than later.

For what it’s worth, adding/removing the spacers is fine for most folks who need to adjust the length of pull.

Reactions: Totdoc
Shooting without handguard ? Have new A2 with 23in barrel and not enough barrel sticking out to hang my Magneto Speed on. I know there are ways to attach an extension to the picatinny rail and mount it that way. Would like to avoid the expense and hassle. I am solely a hunter and after load development I don't use a crono. Can I remove the handrail, mount the Magneto speed and shoot for FPS? I am not concerned with resting on the barrel and influencing POI. I am solely gathering speed data, looking for that lovely flat spot in the curve. Doable ?

I don't know a ton about the MagnetoSpeed but I imagine that a possible solution would be to put an Arca plate right by the trigger guard and then just put it on a tripod to chrono so nothing is messing with your barrel

I don't know a ton about the MagnetoSpeed but I imagine that a possible solution would be to put an Arca plate right by the trigger guard and then just put it on a tripod to chrono so nothing is messing with your barrel
I have an Arco plate and tripod. I am too afraid I would spazz out and shoot the MagnetoSpeed. Not sure the warranty will cover that !

The barrel is firmly clamped into the action. No handguard needed. Just fire it from the shoulder instead of bench resting it while getting velocities.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. After all, the handguard does not touch or support the barrel (as intended). Thanks !

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood what I said or I'm misunderstanding what you've said. Let me try to be more clear. I'm suggesting you mount the rifle into the tripod via arca rail while the Magneto Speed is mounted typically (on the barrel). Or am I misunderstanding you?

Edit: I see you've found your solution. I mostly wanted to see if my message was incomprehensible haha

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood what I said or I'm misunderstanding what you've said. Let me try to be more clear. I'm suggesting you mount the rifle into the tripod via arca rail while the Magneto Speed is mounted typically (on the barrel). Or am I misunderstanding you?

Edit: I see you've found your solution. I mostly wanted to see if my message was incomprehensible haha
Can't mount the Magneto to the barrel, not enough sticking out past the hand guard. Sorry - if I misunderstood where you where going. I have seen some brave souls mount their Magneto on a table, apart from the gun. They line things up and shoot. I definitely would bugger up that process resulting in a high speed collision with the MagnetoSpeed. Would not end well.

I will try without the handguard. Not ideal, but workable.

Thanks all

Reactions: ChidJ
Question for you guys. Have you modified the feed lips on the mags to make them not so sharp? Some times it tends to scratch the piss out of the brass.

@HenryTheAce I'm jealous. I still haven't gotten my 223 conversion in and, IIRC, I ordered mine before you. Just got hit with the "2 more weeks" email yesterday.

@HenryTheAce I'm jealous. I still haven't gotten my 223 conversion in and, IIRC, I ordered mine before you. Just got hit with the "2 more weeks" email yesterday.
Interesting. I ordered mine in early Jan, at the time he said all he had in stock was some proof CF stuff and 16.5” 7.5tw Bartlein 223. I went for that. Did you order a different spec barrel?

I think I ordered in mid August. I'm not complaining. SAC always responds to my emails and really they are THE folks to get conversions from so I'll get it when I get it. I can't find the spec sheet, only the receipt, but I think I ordered their light contour, spiral fluted, 24 inch, black, 5/8x24, twist rate ? (whatever they recommended). Maybe they are just waiting to surprise me with all my barrels at once haha

I think I ordered in mid August. I'm not complaining. SAC always responds to my emails and really they are THE folks to get conversions from so I'll get it when I get it. I can't find the spec sheet, only the receipt, but I think I ordered their light contour, spiral fluted, 24 inch, black, 5/8x24, twist rate ? (whatever they recommended). Maybe they are just waiting to surprise me with all my barrels at once haha
Lol hopefully! Makes sense though. I know they get their stuff from Bartlein in batches. So Bartlein must’ve sent them a bunch of shorter DT contour 223 barrels in Dec/Jan so they had them on hand. What other conversions you got coming!?