• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I took my A2 out to out a few rounds through it and the damn thing drops the mag after every shot. I only brought one mag. I’ll use a few more tomorrow to see if it’s a rifle issue. I bet it is. Hopefully I can fix it myself.

The right side mag release won’t drop any mag. It will as long as I push the mag release and then push up on the mag and then pull it back down. If I just push it, it ain’t coming out. Drops just fine from the left side.

Damn it Desert Tech.

Bend out the top of the hole where the release tab catches the mag just a little bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 50
Sorry, I just seen this. I sent mine back twice. The second time they sent a new chassis.
No problem. They are reassessing mine after I mentioned the issue you had. Guess I will have to see how it all plays out. Really sucks as I was so close to finalizing a good ATIP load.

Reactions: Andrews50
What is your load with the 390gr A-tips?

How many rounds down your barrel?
I found that they like to be .010 & .100 off the lands. .025, .050, and .075 yielded shitty results.

You get a replacement .375 barrel yet?

Thinking of trying the Sierra 350 SMK "If" i can source some..

I actually just sold off some ( 500) of my Atips to a bloke here in Aus that hasn't been able to source any.. I still have 1700 odd here though.
What powder do you plan on using for the SMKs? Retumbo or N570?

So I picked up my SRS covert today. It is an older gen chassis with old buttstock and no cheek rest, but has the monopod cut. How can I tell if the barrel lockup uses the old pin style or not? The installed barrel as well as included conversions are gen 2 with no notch on the extension, but that could just be gen 2 barrels in a gen 1 chassis.

If it has a tiny notch at the bottom of the extension or a big gap where it would interface with the feed ramp.

Yep, you’ve got an SRS made between ~2010-2012. Only the Gen 1’s made prior had the RevA extension with the notch and not tapped for a monopod because they didn’t exist. Then they switched to the more robust RevB extension, made all receivers capable of using monopods, and added the Covert handguard. The A1s came next with the added cheek piece.

The new barrel rodeo continues...

1680890149782.png

Have you ever wondered if a straight 1.25" contour would work or even look like?

1680890186478.png

I don't recommend going that far - I can feel a little bit of contact from the MLOK bits on the M2 top rail.

EDIT: don't do this if you have an M2 chassis. The MLOK attachments from the top rail contact the barrel. Time to do some grinding this weekend. Actually, I just took off the top rail (MLOK is only on the front 3 screws) and ground down the exposed screw on the third-from-front MLOK until the screw was flush. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 232593
That thing must be crazy heavy, I went with a 26" long in 1.045 straight from ES and that thing is like a truck axle.

I regularly shoot 36" .338LM Improved40 barrels with 1.045 contour. This 1.25" thing is bonkers, but hey I'm not in the Army anymore so I don't have to worry about humping or jumping it.

Anybody have issues with spent casings ejecting from the SAC 223 conversion? Thing flings live rounds out of there just fine whether I slowly pull the bolt back or rip it back.

After firing though, if I slowly pull back I get 0% chance of the casing ejecting and if I rip it/run it back hard I get maybe a 50-60% chance of it ejecting. The left side of the case is angled out from the plunger but it gets held up in the extractor for some reason… again only with spent rounds

Thought maybe it needed to be broken in but coming up on 500rnds and it still does it.
For my SAC 223, if I cycle my bolt at standard speed, it’s 50/50 on whether it wants to eject. If I go slow, it seems to flip it out a bit more consistently, maybe 80% of the time.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I’m getting cratered primers with my magnum bolt and noticed this.
768D7C8C-37D9-4903-B3AF-70A627014F8D.jpeg

Can you see the chamfer around the firing pin hole. No bueno. I still have to contact DT about my defective magazine catch/release. I’m hoping they will just send me another mag release and bolt and I can send them this fucked up bolt and mag release back. I do not want to mail the chassis.

Mine does the same thing with the standard 308 bolt on rounds. Just how they do it on the A2’s I guess. My A1 didn’t have that chamfer.

All my bolts (308, mag, lapua) have that chamfer
Interesting. My .308 doesn’t and my other magnum bolt does not. All three are A2.

I’m figuring you get what looks to be cratered primers as well then.

I've never had issues with reloading on these. I look for ejector marks mostly. Unless I get drunk and load the wrong powder again....

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_170117.jpg
    IMG_20211128_170117.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Hondo1 and 232593
Interesting. My .308 doesn’t and my other magnum bolt does not. All three are A2.

I’m figuring you get what looks to be cratered primers as well then.
I do, I thought I was getting some serious signs of over pressure on some hot 450bm loads… ended up shooting some watered down loads and factory. All had the chamfer imprint on the primers.

I had 2 out of 6 DT bolts that had the chamfering on the bolt face. I sent them back to DT and they swapped out the bolt heads. They covered the shipping both ways. I refuse to shoot the chamfered bolt faces because they crater the primers and screw up my load development.

Anyone with a HTI had a situation where out of the blue massive vertical stringing suddenly becomes an issue?
Yes, my chassis had to be replaced after I sent it in to be worked on. My issue started when a conversion kit didn't fit the chassis. Desert Tech has member 232593 rifle right now for this issue. My 50bmg went from 5/8"-3/4" groups to 12"-15" vertical stringing.

• Wow
Reactions: kthomas
What did DT deem the cause is?
I don't know if their sure what it is. Are both calibers you have stringing? I think it's something to do with the barrel clamp/vise. The more the recoil, the worse the stringing. I'm not sure if who I referred to has theirs back yet but if you scroll pages 312-314 you'll find our conversation about it.

My HTI up to this point has been flawless...But just recentley when i switched to my 50BMG conversion i have had issues. 100yd groups are still tiny 3 shot clover leafs...BUT... i first noticed it at 1000yds....one shot would be good, the next 10ft vertical...then another 10ft lower...horizontal dispersion is non existent , just vertical.

Today we shot at 2000yds... i had to give up...one shot on the the next high , next low... and so on...

Up till now this load has been flawless..

My HTI up to this point has been flawless...But just recentley when i switched to my 50BMG conversion i have had issues. 100yd groups are still tiny 3 shot clover leafs...BUT... i first noticed it at 1000yds....one shot would be good, the next 10ft vertical...then another 10ft lower...horizontal dispersion is non existent , just vertical.

Today we shot at 2000yds... i had to give up...one shot on the the next high , next low... and so on...

Up till now this load has been flawless..
Mine was just vertical also. I was just shooting 100 yards. Almost has to be something to do with the barrel clamp or maybe the screws that torque it down.