• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Mine was just vertical also. I was just shooting 100 yards. Almost has to be something to do with the barrel clamp or maybe the screws that torque it down.
The only possible thing that could happen is that the high recoil force of the 50bmg has somehow stretched or deformed the clamping area of the chassis...
If its gone "oval" shaped this could account for vertical movement but no horizontal due to the clamping screws being on the horizontal axis ??

The only possible thing that could happen is that the high recoil force of the 50bmg has somehow stretched or deformed the clamping area of the chassis...
If its gone "oval" shaped this could account for vertical movement but no horizontal due to the clamping screws being on the horizontal axis ??
That's what me and dad were thinking
...it had to be "stretched" oval for it to only to have vertical issues. There is or was room for DT to open my original chassis up to allow the conversion barrel to fit. That's where my problem started. I don't think they open the chassis up like that anymore for this reason but if it's opening up under heavy recoil, a lot more will start seeing this issue. DT did take care of it and sent me a new chassis.

My HTI up to this point has been flawless...But just recentley when i switched to my 50BMG conversion i have had issues. 100yd groups are still tiny 3 shot clover leafs...BUT... i first noticed it at 1000yds....one shot would be good, the next 10ft vertical...then another 10ft lower...horizontal dispersion is non existent , just vertical.

Today we shot at 2000yds... i had to give up...one shot on the the next high , next low... and so on...

Up till now this load has been flawless..
Same thing for me. Everything was working perfectly and then one day it just started to vertical string & POI shift with EVERY barrel kit. They have the chassis and are working on it now. They were able to duplicate the issue. I’ll let you know what they tell me.

Reactions: Andrews50
Same thing for me. Everything was working perfectly and then one day it just started to vertical string & POI shift with EVERY barrel kit. They have the chassis and are working on it now. They were able to duplicate the issue. I’ll let you know what they tell me.
Im glad they duplicated it.

I am taking this up with my dealer here in Aus today ...he as always will be of the utmost help....just worried on what angle Desert Tech are taking with this issue.

My HTI has basically become unusable......i have huge amounts of dollars and time invested in this platform...so far from happy.

Very eagerly waiting to find out the evaluation and hopefully fix for this !!!
Please keep us posted..

I am taking this up with my dealer here in Aus today ...he as always will be of the utmost help....just worried on what angle Desert Tech are taking with this issue.

My HTI has basically become unusable......i have huge amounts of dollars and time invested in this platform...so far from happy.
Same here.

My HTI up to this point has been flawless...But just recentley when i switched to my 50BMG conversion i have had issues. 100yd groups are still tiny 3 shot clover leafs...BUT... i first noticed it at 1000yds....one shot would be good, the next 10ft vertical...then another 10ft lower...horizontal dispersion is non existent , just vertical.

Today we shot at 2000yds... i had to give up...one shot on the the next high , next low... and so on...

Up till now this load has been flawless..
Wait did you say 10 feet?

It used to be basically one hole 3 shot groups....now it's around 1 moa or more vertical.
Longer distances is where it is really apparent.
We have various plates set at 1000yds ranging from 10" to 24"...I can no longer reliably hit any of them.
Before....it was boringly easy to hut the 10" dia plate.

It used to be basically one hole 3 shot groups....now it's around 1 moa or more vertical.
Longer distances is where it is really apparent.
We have various plates set at 1000yds ranging from 10" to 24"...I can no longer reliably hit any of them.
Before....it was boringly easy to hut the 10" dia plate.
I love the platform and have all 4 conversions. It worries me now more with others starting to have the same issue. I was hoping it was just a fluke.
I have a lot invested as well.

Reactions: 232593
My Therory

Some....maybe only a couple of chassis have a slightly out of spec ( oversize) barrel clamping hole.
When you clamp the barrel it basically causes the hole to form an oval....this would account for vertical dispersion but no horizontal.
My best mate who is a DT nut as well has basically the same DT gear as me.
His HTI has a VERY firm fit on the barrel clamping area....whereas mine Literly falls in and out.
We put both my 375 and 50bmg conv in his chassis and they shoot fantastic as always.....so it is 100% an issue with the chassis.

You can't say we are not familiar with the Desert Tech platform... 😂

Attachments

• 20230205_103003.jpg
    20230205_103003.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230205_103138.jpg
    20230205_103138.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230205_103206.jpg
    20230205_103206.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Andrews50
My Therory

Some....maybe only a couple of chassis have a slightly out of spec ( oversize) barrel clamping hole.
When you clamp the barrel it basically causes the hole to form an oval....this would account for vertical dispersion but no horizontal.
My best mate who is a DT nut as well has basically the same DT gear as me.
His HTI has a VERY firm fit on the barrel clamping area....whereas mine Literly falls in and out.
We put both my 375 and 50bmg conv in his chassis and they shoot fantastic as always.....so it is 100% an issue with the chassis.
My first chassis was tight also. The 408ct wouldn't fit. If I had to do it over again, I'd had the shank turned down instead of messing with the chassis.

Reactions: 232593
There have been some questions on here about where Eric Smith at ES Tactical currently is on turnaround times for barrels. I ordered an HTI barrel from him a month ago and he told me at the time the turnaround would be 4 months, which seemed reasonable. However, the barrel actually got here today and looks fantastic. Actual turnaround was only a month, which is very cool.

There have been some questions on here about where Eric Smith at ES Tactical currently is on turnaround times for barrels. I ordered an HTI barrel from him a month ago and he told me at the time the turnaround would be 4 months, which seemed reasonable. However, the barrel actually got here today and looks fantastic. Actual turnaround was only a month, which is very cool.
I ordered a barrel in mid December and was told 8-10wks. It’s been 17 weeks and no barrel. I did call him yesterday considering I’m over double the quoted lead time and a week past the lead time shown as possible on his website. I was told a couple more weeks.

I’ve also emailed and left voicemails with Desert Tech because of my bolt and mag catch issue. It’s been a week and have yet to receive a reply by either phone or email.

Pic ..Please.. :)

Reactions: secondofangle2
Sooo my rifle bag with my srs and another rifle in there took a waist high fall, and it looks like the srs landing optic first took the brunt of the fall. At first the rifle itself looked fine, but racking the bolt a few times it looks like the srs bolt is fucked. The fin of the striker snapped off. Whats warranty with desert tech like? This is an older gen 2 covert.

Edit: probably going to try just replacing the striker first. Found an a1 striker online, would this work in my gen 2 bolt?

Last edited:
Reactions: M77
Finally got a chance to wring out all of my barrels at once and get my scope zero offsets. I started with my Steiner M7 at mechanical zero. Let's see who guesses which one I picked to be my index barrel (the one that I actually dialed the scope to zero on after getting offsets from the mechanical zero). Barrel remove/reinstall doesn't seem to be affecting them enough to detect except the .338LM which varies around .1-.2 in any direction. It's the only factory barrel but I suspect that the variance is actually me anticipating recoil like a little bitch because that factory DT brake is about as effective as the Biden administration is uncorruptable.

.223rem: U3.2, L1.3
6XC: U1.7, L1.2
.308Win: U1.5, L.4
.338WM: U2.3, L1
.338LM: U2 +/- .2, L.5 +/- .2

Everything consistently impacting right from ~ .5mil to ~1.5mil is interesting.

My personal bet is wooferocau will be the first to reply with a correct guess. It just seems to me like he probably has the most free time.

Reactions: DoctorBen
See. There's a joke of a sort that is used in my office. People will pantomime wearing a ball cap slightly off center and say, "You know I'm right. I'm always right." and when they do this they're saying that they're 100% certain that they're right and for everyone else to just shut it. The reason they do this is because it's something I say in just about every single meeting I have when I make an assertion that X is the case. I'm famous for that in part because of the regularity and in part because it seems so self-evidently true. I cheat though. I got hired for what they thought I could do which had to do with fixing today's problems and they were completely unaware that predicting the future 3-5 years out and fixing those problems is the stock in trade of people that do the exact thing that I do for a living.

You can see where this reputation might have come from and, more importantly, why.

Sooo my rifle bag with my srs and another rifle in there took a waist high fall, and it looks like the srs landing optic first took the brunt of the fall. At first the rifle itself looked fine, but racking the bolt a few times it looks like the srs bolt is fucked. The fin of the striker snapped off. Whats warranty with desert tech like? This is an older gen 2 covert.

Edit: probably going to try just replacing the striker first. Found an a1 striker online, would this work in my gen 2 bolt?
Yes the striker is interchangeable with current bolts

Finally got a chance to wring out all of my barrels at once and get my scope zero offsets. I started with my Steiner M7 at mechanical zero. Let's see who guesses which one I picked to be my index barrel (the one that I actually dialed the scope to zero on after getting offsets from the mechanical zero). Barrel remove/reinstall doesn't seem to be affecting them enough to detect except the .338LM which varies around .1-.2 in any direction. It's the only factory barrel but I suspect that the variance is actually me anticipating recoil like a little bitch because that factory DT brake is about as effective as the Biden administration is uncorruptable.

.223rem: U3.2, L1.3
6XC: U1.7, L1.2
.308Win: U1.5, L.4
.338WM: U2.3, L1
.338LM: U2 +/- .2, L.5 +/- .2

Everything consistently impacting right from ~ .5mil to ~1.5mil is interesting.

My personal bet is wooferocau will be the first to reply with a correct guess. It just seems to me like he probably has the most free time.
Nice Setup. I'm guessing the .223.
I second ya on the .338LM brake. I need to update mine. It's brisk enough that I feel bad for other shooters on the line within about 20 feet in any direction. Granted... the moose and elk didn't exactly go too far.

Very good results today.

Sighted in the HTI ....100mtrs are now back to basically one ragged hole 3 shot groups..

2500mtrs......
Plate is 20" x20"
Wind gusting right...left..
12 shots fired ....9 hits...
The 3 misses were off left edge...very very close

No more problems with vertical dispersion...

With my old chassis I could not hit a 12" plate at 1000 the vertical was that bad.

Very Very happy with the outcome..

Attachments

• 20230425_135758.jpg
    20230425_135758.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230425_135651.jpg
    20230425_135651.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230425_135635.jpg
    20230425_135635.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230425_105654.jpg
    20230425_105654.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230425_105632.jpg
    20230425_105632.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230425_105503.jpg
    20230425_105503.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230425_101439.jpg
    20230425_101439.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230425_101436.jpg
    20230425_101436.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230425_101433.jpg
    20230425_101433.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230425_095824.jpg
    20230425_095824.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230425_105909.jpg
    20230425_105909.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 38
Very good results today.

Sighted in the HTI ....100mtrs are now back to basically one ragged hole 3 shot groups..

2500mtrs......
Plate is 20" x20"
Wind gusting right...left..
12 shots fired ....9 hits...
The 3 misses were off left edge...very very close

No more problems with vertical dispersion...

With my old chassis I could not hit a 12" plate at 1000 the vertical was that bad.

Very Very happy with the outcome..
What ammo are you using?

Has anyone got a 7PRC barrel spun up. If so what length did you guys go with. I ordered a 24 inch today and now I’m second guessing about possibly going to 20. Most of my shooting will be suppressed.

Has anyone got a 7PRC barrel spun up. If so what length did you guys go with. I ordered a 24 inch today and now I’m second guessing about possibly going to 20. Most of my shooting will be suppressed.
Go into the 16-18” shorty thread and look at the suppressed rifles in there and know that yours at 24” is the same length and would fit right in there. It’s the beauty of the system especially with these magnum cartridges.

Who is chambering your barrel?

Reactions: BurtG
Go into the 16-18” shorty thread and look at the suppressed rifles in there and know that yours at 24” is the same length and would fit right in there. It’s the beauty of the system especially with these magnum cartridges.

Who is chambering your barrel?
Es tactical

Es tactical
I’m about 18 weeks in on a barrel from him now. I ordered mid December. I was quoted 8 weeks over the phone. I can’t wait until @bohem gears up for these. He said he is considering it. I wouldn’t use anyone else and would cancel my order with ES Tactical in a heartbeat.