• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I've had very few issues with my A1. The only minor complaint is that the trigger adjustment screw came loose, likely from my own adjustments. Fit and finish have been good. Is it a custom rifle? No, but it is well built, accurate and does what I want it to. If DT's quality control has come down in the last few years, I think it'd be due to them trying to do too much at once. I will say though, it SUCKS trying to get replacement parts in Australia. DT, please please get stuff to Aus at a decent price and available!

Does anyone sell something like this?
You might try here: https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/mobile-military-cases/fieldpak/mobile-armory/472-pwc-dw3200
This is what I use, there are many different sizes of mil spec cases that can be used. I recommend one for the gun, an extra barrel and main accessories. Then a matching box of the desired size for barrels. I'm sure if you wanted to you can get what you need here to put everything you want in one case, but it will be heavy!

Here is a picture of the one I have:
pelican-dw3100-field-pack-military-gun-case-t.jpg
pelican-usa-military-gatling-minigun-case-t.jpg

This one is optioned out kind of nice!

Reactions: BurtG
I was really asking about the insert. Did you do your own or did you have someone that did the custom cut out for you.
I have a SRS A1 with a Vortex LRF on top. 8 different barrels and quite an assortment or accessories.
The two case option is probably the best way to go but I would still be interested in having custom inserts done. Any ideas?

I was really asking about the insert. Did you do your own or did you have someone that did the custom cut out for you.
I have a SRS A1 with a Vortex LRF on top. 8 different barrels and quite an assortment or accessories.
The two case option is probably the best way to go but I would still be interested in having custom inserts done. Any ideas?
Mycasebuilder . Com you can make nics custom foam

Reactions: Flyperk
Love it.
Anyone else with a 223 from SAC note light primer strikes? Cant tell if it’s just me, or if I need to get a stronger firing pin spring.
I have one of their original 223 conversions for the A1. I only shot reloads but I've never had an issue. By far, it's my favorite setup.

Reactions: DoctorBen
A little birdie told me SAC is going to quit making 223 conversions when their current parts supply runs out

And that they’re getting out of DT stuff altogether when their current DT Profile blanks are gone

So any of you guys wants one, don’t delay

My best barrels too. There’s definitely a market for quality custom SRS barrels and it would be sad to lose such a good source. Maybe @PRDRIVER will add steel barrels?

Reactions: PRDRIVER
As far as the SRS goes I think DT does that quite well themselves.

My question is; what can we do to make the SRS's we have better? Ideas?
I really like mine, but it's not perfect yet!

As far as the SRS goes I think DT does that quite well themselves.

My question is; what can we do to make the SRS's we have better? Ideas?
I really like mine, but it's not perfect yet!
Polish the trigger transfer bar like Secondofangle showed earlier. I’d like to see more options for hand guards.

To the subject of bashing DT, it’s a little harder to bash them when barrels are cut to their specs. A1 and prior generation chassis would let customers and smiths get away with barrels that were oversized by a couple thousandths. Tolerances were tightened up on the A2/M2 chassis and people cannot get away with that any longer.

Seconsofangle2 was the first and only customer we’ve had that has reported their scope rail coming loose. I am glad he posted about it and let me know personally. My rep said it was the first one he had heard of as well. I’ve seen plenty of scope rails come loose on custom actions. Not sure why it didn’t cross my mind to loctite the rail on the SRS A2 and M2, but anyone with a current production A2 or M2, may want to use a dab of loctite on their scope rail screws. I have suggested this to DT as well.

It looks like there was a batch of reworked bolts that made their way to Australia. Of the dozens of conversion kits and bolt assemblies come through our shop, we had one bolt head with some rework marks. The marks are clean and minimal, but we will swap it out with DT.

I know this thread recently has scared off some potential DT SRS buyers and given others reason to pause and evaluate their purchase. I certainly don’t blame them. DT doesn‘t do themselves any favors with some of the stupid QC issues that occasionally make it through (I.e. like the recent reworked SRS bolt heads that made it to Australia). Mistakes like that have cost them numerous dealers and who knows how many customers. We’ve stayed with them, because I personally love the SRS and HTI platforms. At my shop we are very familiar with them and over the years have seen very few QC issues in those platforms.

My .02 is you’d be hard pressed to find a multi caliber platform (.223 to .338 LM) with the performance of the SRS for less $, bullpup or not. The SRS and HTI are solid platforms. Accuracy is outstanding in them. Return to zero when swapping kits is the best of any platform I have used.

My recommendation to those thinking of buying would be to buy one from a dealer that is familiar with the platform and who will help you should their ever need warranty service.

At our shop, we go through the rifles, chassis, and conversion kits to double check them for any issues we’ve seen in the past before they go out the door from our shop. We may start applying loctite to the scope rail screws to prevent our customers from having an experience like Secondofangle2 experienced. We are 15 minutes from DT’s facility and are picking stuff up or having our rep bring orders by on a weekly basis. We keep dozens of bolt assemblies, magazines, barrel extensions in stock, along with hand guards, stock panels, torque wrenches, soft cases, cleaning kits and other DT related products. We have at least one of every conversion kit DT makes for the SRS or HTI in stock, and multiples of the more popular kits. We have every color SRS and HTI chassis in stock. We have about 50 finished proof SRS barrels on the shelf and another 120 plus SRS barrel blanks in stock.

To the subject of bashing DT, it’s a little harder to bash them when barrels are cut to their specs. A1 and prior generation chassis would let customers and smiths get away with barrels that were oversized by a couple thousandths. Tolerances were tightened up on the A2/M2 chassis and people cannot get away with that any longer.

Seconsofangle2 was the first and only customer we’ve had that has reported their scope rail coming loose. I am glad he posted about it and let me know personally. My rep said it was the first one he had heard of as well. I’ve seen plenty of scope rails come loose on custom actions. Not sure why it didn’t cross my mind to loctite the rail on the SRS A2 and M2, but anyone with a current production A2 or M2, may want to use a dab of loctite on their scope rail screws. I have suggested this to DT as well.

It looks like there was a batch of reworked bolts that made their way to Australia. Of the dozens of conversion kits and bolt assemblies come through our shop, we had one bolt head with some rework marks. The marks are clean and minimal, but we will swap it out with DT.

I know this thread recently has scared off some potential DT SRS buyers and given others reason to pause and evaluate their purchase. I certainly don’t blame them. DT doesn‘t do themselves any favors with some of the stupid QC issues that occasionally make it through (I.e. like the recent reworked SRS bolt heads that made it to Australia). Mistakes like that have cost them numerous dealers and who knows how many customers. We’ve stayed with them, because I personally love the SRS and HTI platforms. At my shop we are very familiar with them and over the years have seen very few QC issues in those platforms.

My .02 is you’d be hard pressed to find a multi caliber platform (.223 to .338 LM) with the performance of the SRS for less $, bullpup or not. The SRS and HTI are solid platforms. Accuracy is outstanding in them. Return to zero when swapping kits is the best of any platform I have used.

My recommendation to those thinking of buying would be to buy one from a dealer that is familiar with the platform and who will help you should their ever need warranty service.

At our shop, we go through the rifles, chassis, and conversion kits to double check them for any issues we’ve seen in the past before they go out the door from our shop. We may start applying loctite to the scope rail screws to prevent our customers from having an experience like Secondofangle2 experienced. We are 15 minutes from DT’s facility and are picking stuff up or having our rep bring orders by on a weekly basis. We keep dozens of bolt assemblies, magazines, barrel extensions in stock, along with hand guards, stock panels, torque wrenches, soft cases, cleaning kits and other DT related products. We have at least one of every conversion kit DT makes for the SRS or HTI in stock, and multiples of the more popular kits. We have every color SRS and HTI chassis in stock. We have about 50 finished proof SRS barrels on the shelf and another 120 plus SRS barrel blanks in stock.
I second.
Nothing but good things to say to my SRS platforms.

I should clarify. I shoot almost nothing but Desert Tech. FOr the last 12 years.

I was a fanboy for a long time, but I’m going to be honest: I reserved my criticisms because I was local and I know a lot of the players in this game. I didn’t want to offend them.

Until something better comes along, I am a dyed in the wool, Desert Tech shooter. But I decided I was doing a disservice to the community and to Desert Tech itself by keeping my experiences in my criticisms to myself, and being a fanboy like they can do no wrong because they obviously have room for improvement

I want these rifles to live up to their potential. And feedback and criticism, especially when it is legitimate is key to the achievement of that goal.

I don’t post here only to bash these rifles and the company. I troubleshoot these problems on my own and spend lots of time money hours and frustration getting things to work right.

When they work right, they work really good. But it takes some familiarity with the platform to get it working right, if it doesn’t come that way from the factory, which unfortunately is all too common So that is why I will give a shout out to special purpose rifles because they also know the platform and will help you get a rifle that works right

I am glad to see I am not alone, the DT SRS and HTI platform's are my favorite. I had originally designed a bullpup of my own, inspired by the DSR 1 too. Then DTA produced the SRS, and met most of my desired goals! I purchased an A1, and have loved it ever since. The platform is solid and accurate as you all know, I have striven to make mine better in many ways. This is why I am interested in other's ideas for improvements. Perhaps as a group we can do something to improve the areas that need it. I am willing to work on it.

Regarding the HTI....which i LOVE!!!

I have been bugging the hell out of Carson from DT....I have suggested they incorporate a 338 Lapua conversion for the HTI..

Why you ask...
The 338 lap with the longer 29" heavy HTI profile barrel , combined with the weight of the HTI would be an awesome combo.
The 338 "Bolt head" would enable the use of the popular and efficient 33 and 37XC cartridges.

As it stands ..
375CT...great cartridge BUT...components are hard to find and VERY expensive.
408CT ...dead and buried..
416.. Expensive on all accounts !!
50BMG ...LOVE it myself.. BUT its to much for most and to expensive.

Probably very wishful thinking , but will continue to bug Carson until i get the definitive , absolute NO!!

I have been bugging the hell out of Carson from DT....I have suggested they incorporate a 338 Lapua conversion for the HTI..

Why you ask...
The 338 lap with the longer 29" heavy HTI profile barrel , combined with the weight of the HTI would be an awesome combo.
The 338 "Bolt head" would enable the use of the popular and efficient 33 and 37XC cartridges.

As it stands ..

Probably very wishful thinking , but will continue to bug Carson until i get the definitive , absolute NO!!
I agree with you 100% the extra length would be great for longer projectiles.

Polish the trigger transfer bar like Secondofangle showed earlier. I’d like to see more options for hand guards.
Do you have examples of what you would like to see in handguards? Do you know of Any existing handguards that could possibly be adapted?

Magazines. I find the 10 rounder annoying
What magazines do you prefer?
I have always liked the fact that the SRS mags are 4" long, that is a must for me, but 4.25" would be better. I have thought about adapting AI mags to the DT, but they only go 3.875" however they seem to be a very good design.

I'd like to see .585" diameter bolt head for the hti, or in other words .338 lapua size bolt face. For thoe of you who can't measure, I'll leave it at that. I don't care about magazine feeding those cartridges probably easy enough to make a bushing or magazine adapter to hold an existing magazine in the hti magazine well. But it would enable the use of the popular 300 Norma, .338 lapua, 33 and 37xc on the hti platform. Why? For me I like to travel. I like to try and shoot some elr matches and typically light gun class is .338 or less. One could use the 338 enabler cartridge, this uses a .640 bolt face or cheytac sizes that's an option on a platform and parts that already exist. But adding a .585 bolt makes that platform very appealing.

I've turned several .375 cheytac, .460 Steyr and 50bmg barrels for the hti. I really like the .460 Steyr. I made a die and a series of bushings to use 50bmg brass and form it into .460.

I've noticed shooting my SRS a1 the recoil and tracking of the gun is easier to stay on target, less felt recoil. Why? Basic physics. The bore centerline is in line with the recoil pad compared to a conventional stock, action rifle. I shoot it in 37xc, running a 390 grain Hornady atip.2930 fps, there's a lot of recoil. Running the same load, barrel length, etc in another rifle I have I built on conventional action and a foundation stock, the recoil is much more felt even though they're the same weight.

How about adding some love for lefties again?
And as long as I'm dreaming, it would be great if the bolt handle locked when the safety is on so you don't have to be paranoid about whether or not the bolt handle is all the way down every time you go to shoot.

Reactions: Dragoon300
What magazines do you prefer?
I have always liked the fact that the SRS mags are 4" long, that is a must for me, but 4.25" would be better. I have thought about adapting AI mags to the DT, but they only go 3.875" however they seem to be a very good design.
This cannot be done. Many have tried and failed. I'd go another direction with your time.

And as long as I'm dreaming, it would be great if the bolt handle locked when the safety is on so you don't have to be paranoid about whether or not the bolt handle is all the way down every time you go to shoot.
Major redesign for an idiosyncratic and whimsical desire (bolt lock)? Don't hold your breath

This cannot be done. Many have tried and failed. I'd go another direction with your time.
Have you actually heard of someone trying to convert an SRS to different mags? I would be interested in seeing what they did or how far they got.

Why you ask...

As it stands ..

Wooferocau why the 408 hate?

You forgot a few, the 10x100 and .460 Steyr

What would be kind of cool is if DT could scale up the HTI to accommodate that 14.5 necked down to .50 that I’ve been hearing so much about.

Have you actually heard of someone trying to convert an SRS to different mags? I would be interested in seeing what they did or how far they got.
I recall page after page of reports on the development of the 10 round mag, back when Russ Wallis was still at DT. IIRC, they trued to go double stack and just could not pull it off. People have for a decade tried to build a better mousetrap - er, magazine - for these rifles and nothing - NOTHING - ever came close to getting off the ground. Perhaps coldbore or prdriver has a more specific memory than I

Indeed just getting the 10 round magazine to work was very difficult, IIRC. I still don't have one

Why you ask...

As it stands ..

We have been working to get a .338 LM bolt face made. I think it is possible that we may see a run of them in the future. I've had that request from a number of current long range competitors that run HTI rifles. It would allow them to run one gun with two barrels at a match instead of two, which would reduce checked baggage fees by one over sized rifle case when traveling. Not sure about a magazine system for the HTI in .338 LM though.

I recall page after page of reports on the development of the 10 round mag, back when Russ Wallis was still at DT. IIRC, they trued to go double stack and just could not pull it off. People have for a decade tried to build a better mousetrap - er, magazine - for these rifles and nothing - NOTHING - ever came close to getting off the ground. Perhaps coldbore or prdriver has a more specific memory than I

Indeed just getting the 10 round magazine to work was very difficult, IIRC. I still don't have one
I've run 10 round Dt mags for years. They are a little on the long side, but I've never had the magazine cause issues when shooting a rifle match because of its length.

We have lefty A1 stuff (chassis, barrel extensions, bolt assemblies) on hand. We can build up factory DT or custom barrels and conversion kits upon request. Unfortunately, DT never saw the volume of sales of lefty SRS products to really make the lefty platform viable. The A1 lefty platform is great. It has a better trigger than the A2/M2, which is still used in the HTI.

With the chassis design on the SRS, you cannot get other brands of magazines up far enough into the chassis to feed the rifle. It would require a redesign of the chassis and stock panels to get the SRS to feed magazines like the AICS mags, which many platforms use on their rifle systems. Now someone, could try to design a magazine that went from double stack to single stack for the SRS. The problem is the cost is high and demand is probably fairly low. It would really need to be a labor of love by someone, as they may never recoup their development costs out of the project.

I think that short action customs spent tens of thousands of dollars – it might’ve been over $100,000 – to develop that 223 bolt head and extension and magazine.

I have the feeling that it would be just as costly to develop a smaller bolt head and extension for the HTI but I’m not a machinist or an engineer

I think that short action customs spent tens of thousands of dollars – it might’ve been over $100,000 – to develop that 223 bolt head and extension and magazine.

I have the feeling that it would be just as costly to develop a smaller bolt head and extension for the HTI but I’m not a machinist or an engineer
The .338 bolt head for the HTI would not take much, a magazine system may be another story.

Cheytac is .640 diameter by face. Lapua is .585. the 50bmg bolt nose depth is deep to accommodate the web in the case. But on the cheytac bolt nose depth, or bolt face to end of bt vs the lapua type bolts on the SRS it's fine. They can run the same depth, which means firing pin is the same, protrusion, etc. and the diameter is only .055 different, or .0275" per side. I'd think it's a simple program change to the existing cheytac bolt to allow the extractor cut, ejector holes in .0275 and use all existing parts. But that's up the to bean counters and button pushers. I'm just a poor dumb dirt farmer

Last edited:
Wooferocau why the 408 hate?
No hate at all..

but here in Aus components are impossible to obtain..

375CT which i shoot a lot is similar. I imported all my 375 projectiles from the US, which was a task in itself.

I know of at least 8-10 Aussies who would purchase the HTI but basically there only option here in Aus is the 50BMG, and to most that's a no go due to the cartridge itself AND our law's here in regards to 50BMG.

If they had other cartridge options...they would purchase a HTI in a heartbeat..

Major redesign for an idiosyncratic and whimsical desire (bolt lock)? Don't hold your breath
I did say I was dreaming, but I don't know that it's "idiosyncratic" or "whimsical" to want the bolt to lock. I know that Savage and Tikka (among others I'm sure) both do this. The placement of the bolt handle on the SRS makes it more prone to getting knocked during carry or repositioning, and it doesn't take much of a lift to get a 'click' instead of a 'bang'.

I've had very few issues with my A1. The only minor complaint is that the trigger adjustment screw came loose, likely from my own adjustments. Fit and finish have been good. Is it a custom rifle? No, but it is well built, accurate and does what I want it to. If DT's quality control has come down in the last few years, I think it'd be due to them trying to do too much at once. I will say though, it SUCKS trying to get replacement parts in Australia. DT, please please get stuff to Aus at a decent price and available!
I don't think DT marks up pricing to distributors in other countries. If there are tariffs or importation taxes in AUS, that may be where an increase in cost is coming from. Distributors may also be marking up pricing as well in other countries.