• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Just got a Cooper in 30.06 with 56 gr imr 4350 nosler bullet I am getting 2 in. At 400 yards 3 shots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoyt1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got a Cooper in 30.06 with 56 gr imr 4350 nosler bullet I am getting 2 in. At 400 yards 3 shots </div></div>

.....and what does that have to do with a DTA?

Sound like nothing to do with DTA what ever that is. New to post just thought of posting was not sure where to start. By

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoyt1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sound like nothing to do with DTA what ever that is. New to post just thought of posting was not sure where to start. By</div></div>

What the ....??
confused.gif

Gotta love the internet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I missed it in the 43 pages, anyone have some load data for subs thorough a covert? Got one on the way and getting ready! </div></div>
My covert shoots very well with 210vld's and 12gr of TB.

read all 43 pages :D, and loving the rifle but can just dream about it for now since not enough $$$$, but i am skeptical about the barrel life? i do shoot a lot, has anyone shot enough through the barrels to notice a difference? +/- how many shots to notice the difference and what caliber?

Reading throughout this thread has made me look into buying one also. I started looking for an AE 308, but I like the idea of changing barrels so rapidly.

Moreover, for the most part, everyone seems to be getting great results from their DTA rifle. Which brings up my question, where's the best place to get one? Are these rifles priced the same assuming the same configuration from one dealer to the next?

Any help would be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 94browninghunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">read all 43 pages :D, and loving the rifle but can just dream about it for now since not enough $$$$, but i am skeptical about the barrel life? i do shoot a lot, has anyone shot enough through the barrels to notice a difference? +/- how many shots to notice the difference and what caliber? </div></div>

Barrel life is going to vary wildly by caliber, no matter what gun you are shooting. Doesn't matter if it's an AI, an SRS, or a rem 500, comparing barrel life is pretty much impossible. Even among identical guns, barrel life will vary some, esp. with different cleaning practices and loads between two operators.

you can make some educated guesses, i.e. .308 will last longer than .260.

I've not shot out any of mine. When I do, I'll rebarrel and keep shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">78steeler,
After reading my first response I can see why there was still concern, the HTI will shoot as good or better than any other 50BMG you will find in the world, like the SRS compares to other .338 platforms. </div></div>

That's what I want to hear! Thanks Nick

I just took delivery of an HTI today. The thing is awesome.

Compared to other 50's, this rifle is a feather weight.

The HTI has some great features. I really like the way the butt pad mounts. I also like the softer material on it. It would be great to see a butt pad with this material for the SRS.

I have not had the need for an adjustable comb on the SRS, but the one on the HTI looks like a great design.

The magazine design on the HTI allows the mags to solidly lock up in the chassis.

DTA has hit a home run with this rifle. I think that those of you who have been waiting for the HTI will find it well worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 94browninghunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">read all 43 pages :D, and loving the rifle but can just dream about it for now since not enough $$$$, but i am skeptical about the barrel life? i do shoot a lot, has anyone shot enough through the barrels to notice a difference? +/- how many shots to notice the difference and what caliber? </div></div>

Barrel life is going to vary wildly by caliber, no matter what gun you are shooting. Doesn't matter if it's an AI, an SRS, or a rem 500, comparing barrel life is pretty much impossible. Even among identical guns, barrel life will vary some, esp. with different cleaning practices and loads between two operators.

you can make some educated guesses, i.e. .308 will last longer than .260.

I've not shot out any of mine. When I do, I'll rebarrel and keep shooting. </div></div>

As SRSDRIVER pointed out the barrel life will be very similar to other match grade rifles in the same calibers. There is always going to be a difference in barrel life between calibers, that is the price that you pay to shoot some of these higher muzzle velocity calibers.

In reality, the price of a barrel is a fraction of the cost of the ammo it will take to burn up the barrel.

A great feature of the DTA is that the user can easily swap out the barrel when it is time to replace it. With many custom bolt action rifles you may be out of of commission for weeks before you can get a good smith to rebarrel it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WHITE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a cheek rest kit made for the SRS ? </div></div>

Not yet. I have not needed an adjustable cheek rest on my SRS and most SRS owners that I know have not felt a need for it either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just took delivery of an HTI today. The thing is awesome.

The HTI has some great features. I really like the way the butt pad mounts. I also like the softer material on it. It would be great to see a butt pad with this material for the SRS.

I have not had the need for an adjustable comb on the SRS, but the one on the HTI looks like a great design.

The magazine design on the HTI allows the mags to solidly lock up in the chassis.

DTA has hit a home run with this rifle. I think that those of you who have been waiting for the HTI will find it well worth the wait. </div></div>

Awesome. What Bi-pod and scope are you going to go with on your HTI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes of course we shot match 50 BMG through the HTI guns, those group sizes were for military grade ammo. With handloads we were able to get the 750 grain amax's down to 1/2 MOA. In fact some surplus stuff shot 1/2 moa surprisingly but most 50 BMG ammo on the market isn't match grade, that's why I responded like I did.
</div></div>

What calibre options are coming to Australia? I heard we have to wait for the 416, is that right. I wouldn't mind a 50 and 375.

We can't export 50BMG to civilians, we will be exporting the 375CT initially and around the end of the year we have hopes of exporting 408CT and 416 Barrett kits too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just took delivery of an HTI today. The thing is awesome.

DTA has hit a home run with this rifle. I think that those of you who have been waiting for the HTI will find it well worth the wait. </div></div>

Awesome. What Bi-pod and scope are you going to go with on your HTI. </div></div>

I plan on using the Atlas V8 Bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We can't export 50BMG to civilians, we will be exporting the 375CT initially and around the end of the year we have hopes of exporting 408CT and 416 Barrett kits too.
</div></div>

In that case would be possible to purchase a barrel extension and bolt and make a 50 conversion locally then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WHITE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to duct tape a riser to mine to get proper cheek weld.</div></div>

What's your ring height? According to this thread the majority of users haven't found a need for a riser but the few who have may have high rings. I've got a Gen 1 with DTA rings that's had at least a dozen people behind it since 2009 and not one has commented on not being able to get a good cheekweld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WHITE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to duct tape a riser to mine to get proper cheek weld.</div></div>

What's your ring height? According to this thread the majority of users haven't found a need for a riser but the few who have may have high rings. I've got a Gen 1 with DTA rings that's had at least a dozen people behind it since 2009 and not one has commented on not being able to get a good cheekweld. </div></div>

This lack of an adjustable cheek piece really has me concerned. I had to have higer posts made for my Manners T5-A to get a high enough cheek weld to use my 56mm PH on it. This was with Seekins lows. I'm about to order a DTA and won't be very happy if a proper cheek weld can't be obtained. I may be in the minority here but, when dropping this much coin on a rifle I would hope it would be adjustable for fit instead of a "one size fits all". Is there enough meat in the chassis that it could be drilled and tapped to screw a piece of kydex to the side?

Is the CL the same if you have the DTA 34 or 30mm 40moa mount? I could ditch the 56mm obj PH and run my March if it would actually bring the scope CL further down. From what I've seen, the DTA 40moa mount just uses inserts to run a 30mm tube.

Goin, I have had 44mm and 50mm objectives on my two DTA in their mount, the Barrett and now the AADmount and I have had no problem with cheekweld.

We will be selling HTI barrel extensions and bolts to allow people to chamber custom calibers and their own barrels just like we did with the SRS.

Re.HTI - great!

Re. Cheekweld. For some (many?) it is just perfect as is. For some (minority, myself included) it works as is, but a riser (an adjustable cheekpiece) would make the life easier. And PSR model has it, probably for a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re.HTI - great!

Re. Cheekweld. For some (many?) it is just perfect as is. For some (minority, myself included) it works as is, but a riser (an adjustable cheekpiece) would make the life easier. And PSR model has it, probably for a reason. </div></div>

I think the Military's PSR Solicitation required an adjustable cheek riser, which is probably why DTA's PSR has it.

I agree it will be nice when the SRS has it as an option or as a retrofit kit, but it think most individuals that purchase one will never need to adjust it.

The PSR rifle has an adjustable cheekpiece because that is what the SOCOM requirement spec'd out. PSR is not going to be available for civilian purchase, EVER.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PSR rifle has an adjustable cheekpiece because that is what the SOCOM requirement spec'd out. PSR is not going to be available for civilian purchase, EVER. </div></div>

Why?

DSC_1717.jpg

ote]

what scope mount is that? is that the badger medium 1 piece ring mount?

Looks like DTA's scope mount to me.

Yup, it's from the first batch of DTA rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re.HTI - great!

Re. Cheekweld. For some (many?) it is just perfect as is. For some (minority, myself included) it works as is, but a riser (an adjustable cheekpiece) would make the life easier. And PSR model has it, probably for a reason. </div></div>

I think the Military's PSR Solicitation required an adjustable cheek riser, which is probably why DTA's PSR has it.

I agree it will be nice when the SRS has it as an option or as a retrofit kit, but it think most individuals that purchase one will never need to adjust it. </div></div>Having shot one of the few srs's with the cheekrest, and having seen how it is built in, I dont think something like a retrofit kit will ever be available due to machining requirements having to be done "in shop". Also I agree that most will never be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PSR rifle has an adjustable cheekpiece because that is what the SOCOM requirement spec'd out. PSR is not going to be available for civilian purchase, EVER. </div></div>

Why? </div></div>

You mean the rifle submitted in response to the PSR bid itself wont be available for civilian purchase, correct? Or are you implying that there are no plans to make available some type of 'kit' or set of skins that will allow us to add an adjustable cheek piece to the SRS chassis? If the latter I would also ask why that is. Is there something in the PSR verbiage that restricts participants currently in the bid process from offering the same systems or components of those systems for civilian purchase?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.5 inch scope mount lines me up pretty well there, and it works for most other people. What mounts did you try Jasonfaz? DTA has great mounts, and Larue has a very nice one that is just about 1.5 inch.

My gen 2 covert has a similar trigger issue. HUGE amount of creep/pull distance compared to the other SRS I got to try. Still kills targets quite well lol, but it is rifle that deserves a better trigger than that. DTA CS has been helpful so far, and will hopefully be walking me a through a couple ideas on the phone tomorrow. IF that fails, I am sure they will remedy it at the shop.

</div></div>
I had a Premier Heritage in a DTA 20 MOA one-piece mount. I sold it and am going to try a different optic. Ill try to get the objective bell down from 56mm to 50mm and use a mount with a 1.375 center line height. Hopefully that is low enough for my tiny head.

This is a testament to how much I really do like this rifle system. I will sell a $3,000+ optic in an effort to try and make the system work for me. It would seem logical to me to begin to work up a kit for something like this regardless of how many customers are having issues with it. It only takes one. The top notch rifle companies out there (AI, McMillan, etc) seem to have heavy focus on how quickly and how sufficiently they address customer needs. I believe DTA is right on the cusp of crossing over that line and building a legacy as one of the top rifle manufactures out there. It would certainly ease the minds of those looking to drop $5-7k on a rifle system. If DTA can build a reputation consistent with putting significant effort into the ongoing improvement of each and every rifle system and any related components, I would be fine with something like 'no current capability to adjust cheek rest height.' I would be fine because I would be comfortable with the fact that they take care of their customers and a solution to the problem is likely in the works either directly through DTA or through a third party. (granted there may be details around why an adjustable cheek rest cant be offered that simply cant be shared for whatever reason, i.e. PSR contractual restrictions, etc.) I really hope it just doesnt matter and my 50mm objective in a 1.375" mount works.....

The PSR rifle itself will not be available for civilian sale, we will likely do some kind of upgrade kit in the future though, similar to the monopod upgrade we do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PSR rifle itself will not be available for civilian sale, we will likely do some kind of upgrade kit in the future though, similar to the monopod upgrade we do. </div></div>

Very good to hear! Ill be looking forward to that. Thank you for the heads up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't understand why a cheekrest seems to be such an issue. Rather than get rid of a $3000.00 scope, get yourself one of these and it's a non-issue.

http://tacticaltextile.com/Tactical_Textile/SRS_butt_cheek.html </div></div>

It isnt a huge issue, but it is AN issue. There are other factors involved in my offloading the Premier (it had an MOA-ER and I wanted the additional windage holdover points in the Gen 2 XR) other than wanting to decrease the size of the obj bell. The point was to clarify what level of quality I believe the system to possess......right before I began to complain about what is indeed a relatively small issue and, like you said, a non-issue to many. Just an attempt at "respectfully bitc*ing" about something I want and hope will happen. That's pretty much about it.
whistle.gif

Good to hear that DTA may have an upgrade kit in the works sometime in the future though!

I'm not saying that having your cheekweld too low for your scope/mount isn't an issue. It is. I'm just trying to let others that may be in the same situation know that there is an alternative solution that for me, at least, has worked very well. The fact that the buttpad was part of the deal was an added bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PSR rifle itself will not be available for civilian sale, we will likely do some kind of upgrade kit in the future though, similar to the monopod upgrade we do. </div></div>

Serious...
frown.gif

If we do a psr type upgrade kit we will retrofit it on gen I and gen II guns and the price wouldn't put any existing srs owners at a disadvantage.

I'm amazed at all these posts on the cheek weld.... I have never used a rifle with a better more comfortable cheek weld then the DTA SRS. As far as I know the rifle was designed around mil-spec heads. You dudes need head transplants.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeeprider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm amazed at all these posts on the cheek weld.... I have never used a rifle with a better more comfortable cheek weld then the DTA SRS. As far as I know the rifle was designed around mil-spec heads. You dudes need head transplants.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

Alternatively, the dimensions of your head might simply be more compatible with the SRS than ours.
grin.gif

pumpkinhead-1.jpg

It's all good. I used my Covert for quite a while before adding the buttstock cover/cheekpiece. It wasn't an absolute necessity for me, but I do find it more comfortable to shoot with it than without.

From what I have seen on videos and such...

The butt pad seems to be a mess of plastic that just snaps in place with some clips. Could you just remove or cut the "pad" off the back and screw an actual pad to it and keep the "qd" attachment there?

Can some one take a couple pics? It seems like it should be easy enough to do.

The buttplate has the interface with the chassis, some removable spacers, and the buttpad. I personally haven't felt a need for a soft-pad, but I can see why they did go that route with the HTI. However, I don't think it would take much to make a rudimentary soft pad. Perhaps remove some spacers, fold some high-impact foam and duct tape it to the buttplate and re-assemble?

I did something similar to that prior to buying the buttstock cover. I used some sections of fairly thin mousepad laminated together; the pad part was several layer of that material with just a single layer sandwiched between the spacers prior to bolting it down. It worked sort of, but I had to remove one spacer and the unit didn't fit back together all that well. It was functional, but a long way from satisfactory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The buttplate has the interface with the chassis, some removable spacers, and the buttpad. I personally haven't felt a need for a soft-pad, but I can see why they did go that route with the HTI. However, I don't think it would take much to make a rudimentary soft pad. Perhaps remove some spacers, fold some high-impact foam and duct tape it to the buttplate and re-assemble? </div></div>
^this would not be hard, though Id forego the duct tape and go with some soft rubber, I dont think it'd be too hard to make it look good.

As to the cheekweld, it would seem that there are more people who like it than dont, though there still is a market, perhaps the aftermarket will produce something..........

Re. cheekweld. Yes it works as-is (as the shooting results prove), and yes more people seem to like it than not (or perhaps it's the overall good impression of the rifle that channels their preference?). No it's not the most comfortable weld <span style="text-decoration: underline">for me</span>, so I'm eagerly waiting for an upgrade kit that would include adjustable cheekpiece.

I'm considering Brian's solution as an interim, but his delivery time is less than perfect (I need to give him a call and ask what's up with my pad that we discussed a few months ago).