• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I have a 300WM kit coming and think I may want a brake for it. Any recommendations? Obviously the DTA brake works but have not seen too many other options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 300WM kit coming and think I may want a brake for it. Any recommendations? Obviously the DTA brake works but have not seen too many other options.

</div></div>
I just sold an AAC break, works great on the DTA factory barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering Brian's solution as an interim, but his delivery time is less than perfect (I need to give him a call and ask what's up with my pad that we discussed a few months ago). </div></div>

Apparently there is more of an issue with fitment than is understood by the shooting community and DTA. I emailed Brian as well and the reply states that he can not possibly fill the back order for his product. He is looking to have them manufactured. So, I would guess that there are many more people that are <span style="font-style: italic">making due</span> with the ergonomics at this time.

The cheek weld can be customized by going with a scope base optimized to your desired height. I know it's kind of a backwards way of going about it, but there are getting to be some high quality one-piece scope mounts that have a wide variety of heights. Fine tuning can be done with adhesive backed neoprene foam sheets that come in a variety of heights.

I really don't think this should be an issue for potential buyers. It would be nice to have a lightweight, easily adjustable cheek piece for the SRS, but it is not essential. If this is the only thing keeping you from buying an SRS or Covert, there are effective solutions.

The problem with adjusting the height of the mount is there are few options that have cant built in. It would be a different story if they were readily available.

I can call Murphy Precision and get any cant at nearly any height for nearly any action lay out. If my stock has an adjustable cheek, I can account for any difference in eye alignment. The DTA is fixed with "fixed" optic heights. I MAY still jump off the deep end and get one of these rifles but, I have major concerns about the layout fitting me personally.

Incidentally, the Barrett M95/99 has been around a LOT longer than the SRS and I have yet to hear anyone complain about them not having an adjustable cheekpiece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Incidentally, the Barrett M95/99 has been around a LOT longer than the SRS and I have yet to hear anyone complain about them not having an adjustable cheekpiece.</div></div>

BURN!!!!!.....cheekweld people!
laugh.gif

Goinghot, call DTA and ask them to see if they can put you in contact with the closest owners near you so you can see what its like for you and quit worrying about it. It will solve the problem. I have had more then one prospective buyer contact me with questions that lived locally.

I've had a number of people fit up my rifle to see how the cheekweld/scope alignment worked for them. Though a number were very concerned about no adjustment when they tried it they saw it was a non issue. My scope is a 5.5 X 22 X 56 Nightforce using the DTA 30MOA ring/base. I've not seen any owners or shooters who had any issues with the stock system yet. As others have noted you need to find one and see for yourself. If its really that important to you maybe you need a different rifle since this one won't adjust in the manner you need and apparently won't have any factory support for that feature right now. We all need to choose whats important to us and each has his own criteria. You must choose.....

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cheek weld can be customized by going with a scope base optimized to your desired height. I know it's kind of a backwards way of going about it, but there are getting to be some high quality one-piece scope mounts that have a wide variety of heights.</div></div>
Yeah - but it's not so bad as to force me into such a drastic solution. Not to mention that for the scope bells 50mm and larger you can't go much lower than the native DTA mount (which I like very much).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fine tuning can be done with adhesive backed neoprene foam sheets that come in a variety of heights. </div></div>
That's what people do with SVD.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really don't think this should be an issue for potential buyers. It would be nice to have a lightweight, easily adjustable cheek piece for the SRS, but it is not essential. If this is the only thing keeping you from buying an SRS or Covert, there are effective solutions.</div></div>
I concur. And if my example proves anything - I find the cheekweld less convenient than, e.g., my AICS, but it's not too bad, and I like everything else about this rifle. So I'm keeping my DTA.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's really that important to you maybe you need a different rifle since this one won't adjust in the manner you need and apparently won't have any factory support for that feature right now.</div></div>
True. But (a) it's not too bad as is - just not as convenient, and (b) it looks like the factory support for this feature <span style="text-decoration: underline">is</span> coming - though maybe not right now.

Just put the Covert kit on my Gen 1 SRS today. It fits well and lined up perfect. I hadn't thought about how much stuff needed to be done to swap the handguard but it all got done. I was a bit concerned the 26" .338 barrel might look funny with the shorter handguard but it doesn't. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the long guard.....
Also unwrapped the barrel blank for the .338BR barrel and to my horror discovered it is 1.2" dia rather than the 1.25" that I ordered. I'll have to use it on a Rem 700 and order a new one along with a 6.5mm blank to build a 6.5X47 or 260....I hate to wait another 10 weeks for blanks to show but I guess I should have checked earlier.

Frank

The first time you remove that hardguard takes quite a bit of elbow grease,but after that it's much easier. Just make sure you don't miss the that bolt and insert that lock the forearm to the chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first time you remove that hardguard takes quite a bit of elbow grease,but after that it's much easier. Just make sure you don't miss the that bolt and insert that lock the forearm to the chassis. </div></div>

Yes, the original handguard took some torque to remove. The threads were pretty tight and I thought they were loctited but I found that was not the case. The new handguard screwed right on with little drag and stopped right at the correct location. The key locked in with no wiggling and I loctited the locking screw.
I'm finding that my hard case will need some work on the internal foam to fit the new configuration. The bipod now sits much further back and the storage hole in the foam will have to be cut open to allow the bipod to fit. That loses some space for storing small loose parts. I'm going to be short of space for barrel storage too but I expected that.

Frank

Frank,
You could just get our covert hardcase. It has the right cutout confirmation that you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank,
You could just get our covert hardcase. It has the right cutout confirmation that you need. </div></div>

I already have the SRS hardcase and won't likely put the long handguard back on. Makes it tough to justify buying another hardcase....
Is the foam insert available? The thick gray foam section of my hardcase keeps coming loose so I'll need to redo the adhesive either way.

Frank

Has DTA discontinued the .243 barrels?

That is what I was told by DTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just put the Covert kit on my Gen 1 SRS today. It fits well and lined up perfect. I hadn't thought about how much stuff needed to be done to swap the handguard but it all got done. I was a bit concerned the 26" .338 barrel might look funny with the shorter handguard but it doesn't. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the long guard.....
Also unwrapped the barrel blank for the .338BR barrel and to my horror discovered it is 1.2" dia rather than the 1.25" that I ordered. I'll have to use it on a Rem 700 and order a new one along with a 6.5mm blank to build a 6.5X47 or 260....I hate to wait another 10 weeks for blanks to show but I guess I should have checked earlier.

Frank </div></div>

You got any pics, just curious what the 26" barrel looks like in the covert....

I was told they didn't sell many since offering the 6.5x47 Lapua and .260 Remington. I was also told the barrel life wasn't great.

I think the .243 is a great round, and a shorter barrel life should be expected when pushing a 6mm bullet at high muzzle velocities.

Honestly, I would go with one of the 6.5 caliber conversions.

I helped put together a group buy on some custom 6.5 Creedmoor barrels from DTA. I have a couple left in the order that I placed that are not spoken for yet if you are interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You got any pics, just curious what the 26" barrel looks like in the covert....</div></div>

I'll try to get a couple pics up this evening.

I was thinking of a .243 barrel but decided the 6.5's would be a better way to go. I've got a 6.5mm blank on order along with the .338 to do the subsonic .338BR barrel. I haven't decided between the 6.5 X 47 or the 260 rem yet. Both have good brass available at similar prices. I've got 10-14 weeks to figure it out though. Damn blanks are taking a long time.....
Frank

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Covert with 26" .338 Conversion. The covert balances very well with the longer barrel. The SRS and Covert are about a foot shorter than comparable bolt action rifles with similar length barrels. Not having that weight out front and having the action towards the rear of the stock, makes both rifles balance extremely well. Honestly, when you shoulder either rifle they feel deceptively light. Which makes off-hand, sitting, and kneeling positional shooting much easier than with a traditional style bolt action rifle of similar weight and barrel length.

DSC_3945.jpg
</div></div>

Tag for Covert Chassis and a 26" barrel.

Looks great!

DTM's Demo HTI with .50 BMG Conversion

HTI.jpg

All the groups I shot were 1 MOA or better. These were just a couple of the better ones.
group1.jpg

group2.jpg

I will be loading up some more and getting some longer range data together. I'm very impressed with the rifle so far.

It shoots better than my McMillan .50 did and at pretty much half the weight the recoil is very manageable. Recoil is much less than the couple AR50's I have shot.

More to come.

Russ

very impressive!
could you tell me ,please,which scope mount it is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very impressive!
could you tell me ,please,which scope mount it is? </div></div>

That is a MODIFIED factory DTA HTI mount.

thank you for your answer;
happy to know DTA make a 35 mm mount!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you for your answer;
happy to know DTA make a 35 mm mount! </div></div>

Not for the HTI, that is a modified mount made to work with my scope.

Drove down to Salt Lake and went shooting with Mike Davis for a whole day. What a great guy. We shot both 308 and 338 conversion on his covert. Ended up ordering three rifles for our store. Someday this will just be the way it's done. Wanted to order a 50 but wasn't sure who I would sell it to. I guess they have four of them in stock.

They even took us to lunch when we were done shooting $112 box of 338 ammo. Made us feel like kings!

Thanks Mike

Daren
A to Z guns

Had another 5 or 6 guys shoot the SRS at a shoot here in Tennessee this weekend. All were a bit worried about shooting .338LM but with the suppressor installed none complained of recoil. The only complaint I heard from anyone was one guy who couldn't get the eye relief right but once he realized the bullpup put his face closer to the bolt handle he was fine. Smiles all around and I'm happy with the short handguard. Can't wait to get some shorter suppressed barrels made up and have a super shorty.

Nice weekend and great shoot.

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC_0136.jpg
</div></div>

It seems really cruel to look at the rifle next to your avatar.
laugh.gif

Lazy do you have any clearance for the front bell on the rail ?
Or is it the angle of the picture ?

looks amazing !!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lazy do you have any clearance for the front bell on the rail ?
Or is it the angle of the picture ?

looks amazing !!!!</div></div>

G, there's a gap...small but it clears. BTW, it's a 40moa mount with a 58obj on the scope
smile.gif

IMG_1587.jpg

i hope im not derailing the topic here: but i was curious when i saw this photo about any plans to change the civilian models in the future; specifically the buttstock/butt hook area to look/function like what is depicted in this photo? without the taper in a more vertical fashion. also when do we civilians get this wicked looking forend tube!? even the pistol grip seems to have been enhanced slightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i guess ill answer my own question and save some embarrassment because obviously thats the HTI. what an amateur. </div></div>

Really that picture looks like the PSR, not the HTI.

well ya its the PSR. what i meant was that basically its got the HTI rear end. for the most part it seems that i don't know shit about DTA's and should clear out of this thread.

It has the same buttpad but that is where the similarity ends. The difference is that the HTI's butt plate rotates to allow the bolt to be removed but the current PSR prototypes buttpad and spacers use a clip system for removal and installation. The PSR and SRS work in much the same fashion but the PSR no longer needs screws to add or subtract spacers. These pic should explain how the HTI operates-

Buttpad-Rotate-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But it's a $85 part
</div></div>

But it's an 85$ piece you NEED!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my only and biggest complaint on the system is:

you spend over 5k on a rifle and the recoil pad SUCKS! On top of that, the plastic tabs can easily brake and they've designed a solution. But it's a $85 part

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/replacement-parts/aluminum-replacement-buttpad-mount.html

</div></div>

My plastic clips arrived broken. I figured if they couldn't survive factory assembly and transportation they weren't going to handle much else. I switched to the aluminum piece immediately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my only and biggest complaint on the system is:

you spend over 5k on a rifle and the recoil pad SUCKS! On top of that, the plastic tabs can easily brake and they've designed a solution. But it's a $85 part

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/replacement-parts/aluminum-replacement-buttpad-mount.html

</div></div>

My plastic clips arrived broken. I figured if they couldn't survive factory assembly and transportation they weren't going to handle much else. I switched to the aluminum piece immediately. </div></div>+1 mine were also broken. DTA has offered me a replacement, but Im just going to get the aluminum one.

I've had my SRS for just about 2 years now and fired about a thousand rounds of .338 and .510 W. The buttpad is fine and my only complaint is the release latch. Hard to get the buttpad off without dinging a finger. I do like the idea of the PSR much better for removing the bolt but I don't think I'll be needing the aluminum buttplate for mine.

Frank

How much can you improve the shoulder angle on a 338 and still fit in the magazine? And can you fit a 375 bullet into the magazine?

yes i did, thanks for putting it up here also

Awesome video! What a testment to the DTA system. I'm sure the guy driving that DTA is nothing short of a pro.

From what I remember, The PSR has a modular bolt that allows the user to utilize he same bolt body for all calibers. The bold head is swapped out on the PSR for calibers requiring a different bolt face. I also thought I was told that the barrel was a slightly lighter profile.

Maybe one of the DTA employees on this forum can let us know the specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the PSR use the same barrel and bolt as the gen 2? </div></div>

It doesn't matter how the PSR operates as DTA has stated that the PSR will NEVER be available on the civilian market.