• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to add a 40 moa base on my DTA. What type do I get? Rem long action? AR??? </div></div>
You cant add a 40 MOA base like the those you mention, the only option you have is putting on a canted scope mount. Like those sold by DTA, and many,many others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they don't offer a 35mm........I want to put a Vortex razor on mine.
Anybody know of a 35mm mount with 40-45 moa of cant? Or 30 moa even...... </div></div>

DTA doesn't offer 35mm mounts anymore? If they don't watch the for sale section for an old one to pop up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to add a 40 moa base on my DTA. What type do I get? Rem long action? AR??? </div></div>
You cant add a 40 MOA base like the those you mention, the only option you have is putting on a canted scope mount. Like those sold by DTA, and many,many others.</div></div>

Why can't you use a canted base???

I think Spuhr was going to offer a run of 35mm mounts at one time, but that ship may have sailed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well.... just found out adding a base designed for a picatinny rail will work fine. So I will probably use a 20 moa base and 20 moa scope mt </div></div>

Or just buy the a 40 moa scope mount, and avoid stacking a bunch of mounts together. What caliber are you shooting?

Cold

Blasst is trying to get 40 MOA in mounting for a 35mm scope. It would be easy if DTA made a 35mm mount.

- RMW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cold

Blasst is trying to get 40 MOA in mounting for a 35mm scope. It would be easy if DTA made a 35mm mount.

- RMW </div></div>
I guess he's gonna have to stack a bunch of goofy shit on there then eh? I wonder if you could get the 34mm bored out to a 35?

BTW Rob, missed you saturday
frown.gif

RMW,
It would be even easier of Vortex and IOR made 34mm tube sizes instead of 35mm. We used to sell 35mm rings but the volume was so low it just isn't worth tooling up for that size anymore, sorry.

Thanks

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RMW,
It would be even easier of Vortex and IOR made 34mm tube sizes instead of 35mm. We used to sell 35mm rings but the volume was so low it just isn't worth tooling up for that size anymore, sorry.

Thanks

Nick
</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RMW,

Thanks

Nick
</div></div>

Nick,

I totally understand that you need to do what is right for your company.

RMW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cold

- RMW </div></div>
I guess he's gonna have to stack a bunch of goofy shit on there then eh? I wonder if you could get the 34mm bored out to a 35?

BTW Rob, missed you saturday
frown.gif
</div></div>

I wish I could have been there. I hope to see you at one of the PC or Price matches soon.

RMW,
I know I just think it was a bad idea for the new scope companies to make an unestablished tube size which eliminates all the great mounting options that were already available for 34mm tube scopes. At least Leupold got it right with their new scopes. That extra 1MM isn't making one difference inside the scope so I can't figure out why they made such a novice mistake.

Cold....I got a 338LM and 6.5 creedmoor.

hey guys Larue makes one that gives 30 moa. That will do. It's A beast made for 50 cal but so be it.
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-50-bmg-qd
It's right near $300 but yeah....better than stacking a bunch of crap.
Several people make mounts with 20 moa of cant so I may be ok with that. 125 moa of internal elevation and another 20 or 30 should get me to 2000 yds with a 338M shouldn't it?

Nick, I don't know optics or business enough to advise either you or the scope manufacturers what to do.

But I must say that as a user, I'm extremely happy that when I was on the market for a good LR precision rifle, DTA provided a 40 MOA mount for my 35mm scope. I must also say that from my limited experience and expertise, Vortex Razor HD is the best within its price point - considering reliability, features, reticle design, and cost. I conjecture that as Vortex Razor matures more, there would be more users (like myself?
wink.gif
) and thus more requests for this mount on a DTA rifle. And unless I'm mistaken - there are <span style="text-decoration: underline">more</span> scopes coming out with 35mm tube, something unheard of a few years ago (I think). Sniper Central site seems to concur on 35mm tubes <span style="text-decoration: underline">growing</span> in popularity (somewhere closer to the end of the article that reviews 34mm Hensoldt). Like you, I've no idea why bother with that extra 1mm and what capabilities it offers that 34mm tube can't - but the scope manufacturers have made their choice.

Perhaps it would be possible to at least occasionally run a 40 MOA 35mm batch? If the volume is that low, there shouldn't be a problem keeping those few manufactured in stock?
grin.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">Yes I understand it's about tooling. I don't know what can be done. But perhaps you can find a solution? Vortex or IOR aren't likely to abandon 35mm approach.</span>

Anybody know anywhere that has a gen 2 300WN conversion in stock? Eurooptic and DTA are both saying 4-6 weeks. My chassis comes in tomorrow and I'd love to have a conversion sooner than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I' looking for information and feedback on the 7 WSM conversions. Do these use the same bolt as the 300 Win Mag? Which magazine does it use? I'm guessing they can be loaded longer than what is possible with an AICS magazine? Last but not least, do they feed reliably? </div></div>

Yes, they use the 300wm bolt and magazine, I have heard from those that shoot them that they will cycle fine. I chose to go with the 7SAUM, and it does not feed as reliably as the wsm. Gonna need some 'justment. </div></div>

I have had issues with my 7WSM feeding, always didn't feed the first round, 2nd,3rd and 4th fed fine and 5th fed 50% of the time. Did some adjustments on the front lips and bingo every round feeds fine now.
smile.gif

Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick, I don't know optics or business enough to advise either you or the scope manufacturers what to do.

But I must say that as a user, I'm extremely happy that when I was on the market for a good LR precision rifle, DTA provided a 40 MOA mount for my 35mm scope. I must also say that from my limited experience and expertise, Vortex Razor HD is the best within its price point - considering reliability, features, reticle design, and cost. I conjecture that as Vortex Razor matures more, there would be more users (like myself?
wink.gif
) and thus more requests for this mount on a DTA rifle. And unless I'm mistaken - there are <span style="text-decoration: underline">more</span> scopes coming out with 35mm tube, something unheard of a few years ago (I think). Sniper Central site seems to concur on 35mm tubes <span style="text-decoration: underline">growing</span> in popularity (somewhere closer to the end of the article that reviews 34mm Hensoldt). Like you, I've no idea why bother with that extra 1mm and what capabilities it offers that 34mm tube can't - but the scope manufacturers have made their choice.

Perhaps it would be possible to at least occasionally run a 40 MOA 35mm batch? If the volume is that low, there shouldn't be a problem keeping those few manufactured in stock?
grin.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">Yes I understand it's about tooling. I don't know what can be done. But perhaps you can find a solution? Vortex or IOR aren't likely to abandon 35mm approach.</span></div></div>

Yeah there do seem to be a few 35mm scopes popping up and now larue saw the need to offer a few 35mm mounts. I personally like the focal range of the razor and features....but that being said I ended up buying a 5-25 Premier with a 20 moa DTA mount a few minutes ago. :))

Encouraged by Ben at DTA, I just joined the forum. This seemed the best thread for posting my inquiry.

Anticipating purchase of an accurate .50BMG, I would very much like to examine (shoot?) a DTA HTI.

Are there any proud owners of a DTA HTI in the Phoenix area (or beyond) who might assist?

I also solicit sage advice about other options (e.g., TAC50A1-R2).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Encouraged by Ben at DTA, I just joined the forum. This seemed the best thread for posting my inquiry.

Anticipating purchase of an accurate .50BMG, I would very much like to examine (shoot?) a DTA HTI.

Are there any proud owners of a DTA HTI in the Phoenix area (or beyond) who might assist?

</div></div>

A couple of questions.

#1: What is your experience with long range shooting?

#2: What are your goals? (distance wise, or do you want a 50 to flat out break shit)

#3: Are you going to reload, or buy ammo?

#4: How many rounds a year do you plan on shooting?

Just trying to get your temperature, no disrespect intended. If you were a known hide member, we would have a better idea of what you were up to.

Welcome to the hide,
Ty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Encouraged by Ben at DTA, I just joined the forum. This seemed the best thread for posting my inquiry.

</div></div>

A couple of questions.

#1: What is your experience with long range shooting?

#2: What are your goals? (distance wise, or do you want a 50 to flat out break shit)

#3: Are you going to reload, or buy ammo?

#4: How many rounds a year do you plan on shooting?

Just trying to get your temperature, no disrespect intended. If you were a known hide member, we would have a better idea of what you were up to.

Welcome to the hide,
Ty</div></div>

Thank you for your welcome and offer of advice. I'm thinking you are the Ty I met at the May match here in Phoenix. I am/was the newbie who peered through your Schmidt & Bender at your invitation. If so, you are the gent who, perhaps unintentionally, got me fired up about DTA.

#1) Minimal LONG range experience, so far only 2 local matches (and I was not the winner);
#2) Interested in the challenge and fun of both extreme range and "breaking stuff";
#3) Initially factory ammo, reloading to follow (I gave away all my reloading equipment 10+ years ago because I was shooting only mil spec calibers and wasn't saving enough money to offset the time investment); and
#4) When I was an active 3-gun competitor I shot about 15,000 rds/year, but I can't imagine doing that with the pricey precision calibers.

I am considering another alternative—getting an SRS, honing my long distance skills, and then moving up to the HTI's (TAC50A1-R2's?) extreme range cartridges (especially since the extreme range cartridges are restricted at our club).

Incidentally, we had a very strange meteorological phenomenon here today—water fell from the sky. Most interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am considering another alternative—getting an SRS, honing my long distance skills, and then moving up to the HTI's </div></div>

This sounds like a good idea, unless you have the money to burn on an HTI. But the SRS would be a good gun to train up to it with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Encouraged by Ben at DTA, I just joined the forum. This seemed the best thread for posting my inquiry.

</div></div>

I would like to check one out myself. I live in the Chandler Area if ya hear of anyone shoot me a pm. I would be happy to be a casual observer. I'm think first part of next year for my HTI purchase.

Funny, If you want to hone your skills go buy a Rem 700 or a Savage, Shooting an SRS to hone your skills is cheating, these guns are almost automatic. Point and pull the trigger. Not really, after shooting custom long rifles and then shooting the SRS theres no question what most of us in this forum would pick. In my opinion I would get use to the srs before going to the HTI.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

please excuse me if these questions have been addressed previously. i have read much of this thread, but haven't gone through all 48 of them...

i am considering buying a dta srs in near future. my question is what (approximate) distance can i expect to get out of a .260 caliber?? 40 moa scope mount base. let's say NF 5.5-22x50 nxs hs (100 moa) adjustment? not considering load, bullet wt, and shooter abilities.

the reason i ask, is that the quad rail seems to keep you from being able to get your scope bell down close to the barrel? this is what i see in pictures. not like conventional sniper rigs.

any input &/or good information will be greatly appreciated!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thank you for your welcome and offer of advice. I'm thinking you are the Ty I met at the May match here in Phoenix. I am/was the newbie who peered through your Schmidt & Bender at your invitation. If so, you are the gent who, perhaps unintentionally, got me fired up about DTA.

#1) Minimal LONG range experience, so far only 2 local matches (and I was not the winner);
#2) Interested in the challenge and fun of both extreme range and "breaking stuff";
#3) Initially factory ammo, reloading to follow (I gave away all my reloading equipment 10+ years ago because I was shooting only mil spec calibers and wasn't saving enough money to offset the time investment); and
#4) When I was an active 3-gun competitor I shot about 15,000 rds/year, but I can't imagine doing that with the pricey precision calibers.

I am considering another alternative—getting an SRS, honing my long distance skills, and then moving up to the HTI's (TAC50A1-R2's?) extreme range cartridges (especially since the extreme range cartridges are restricted at our club).

Incidentally, we had a very strange meteorological phenomenon here today—water fell from the sky. Most interesting.

</div></div>

Yes sir, I remember you! I run a March scope, not S&B, but yeah, I remember our conversation. Looks like I may have cost you a bunch of money. Sorry about that! You are not the first to try out my stick and then end up with a hole in his wallet.

You have already received a bunch of great info. I bought my SRS with a 338 LM and 308 conversion, and thought I wanted to shoot FAR. So I trained up with the 308 inside of 1000 yards, and then used my 338 past that. Years later, I have 338 Lapua, 22" and 16" 308, 26.5" and 22" 6.5 Creedmoor conversions, and I am considering 7 RSAUM and 22-250. That's basically 5 rifles for different purposes with one piece of glass.

At this point, I have shot out to 2130 yards with the 338. I have shot with a bunch of different people who have different calibers at this distance as well. The 50 BMG is definitely not the long range performer that I thought it was. When we shot, the 338 and 7mm RSAUM were far superior as far as actually hitting the target. With straight wrecking shit, 50 BMG is the king.

If I were you, and wanted to do this with out reloading. I would buy an SRS in 308. If you get back into reloading and want one caliber to get you all the way to 2000 yards, get the SRS with 7mm WSM. If you want two conversions and you reload, go with any 6.5 caliber and the 338 Lapua or Norma.

Although I have never shot a HTI, I have very little doubt that it is the most accurate 50 on the market. However, the real sweet heart with the HTI is the 375 CT.

Any way, there is a bunch of random information. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM and we can have a phone conversation. Also, I'm gonna try to hit this month's Phoenix match. Maybe I can talk Tim into letting send some rounds down range with my SRS.

Take care,
Ty

P.S. Water from the sky? Insanity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonmower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please excuse me if these questions have been addressed previously. i have read much of this thread, but haven't gone through all 48 of them...

i am considering buying a dta srs in near future. my question is what (approximate) distance can i expect to get out of a .260 caliber?? 40 moa scope mount base. let's say NF 5.5-22x50 nxs hs (100 moa) adjustment? not considering load, bullet wt, and shooter abilities.

the reason i ask, is that the quad rail seems to keep you from being able to get your scope bell down close to the barrel? this is what i see in pictures. not like conventional sniper rigs.

any input &/or good information will be greatly appreciated!!

</div></div>

We have shot out to a mile (1760 yards) with our 6.5 Creedmoors, so the 260 would be the same (about 1300-1500 yards depending on weather is when these calibers start to get erratic though). With the optic set up you described you would have lots of elevation come up to spare.

I used to run a NF 5.5-22x56mm with DTA's 30 MOA base, and even with the scope shade it would clear, so the 50mm will have a lot of room.

thx for the info!!

so, without any unforseen issues, the rifle can potentially shoot out to 1760yd??
do you think i could clear quad rail with 40moa base & NF 5.5-22x 56mm bell & scope shade??

It will make it, just not as consistently as a dedicated ELR caliber like 338 Lapua, or 7 WSM.

I would assume that the extra 10 MOA of cant would be ok, but I only have experience with that scope and a 30 MOA base. It was damn close with the 30. I could just barley get the NF scope cover on it. Worst case scenario is you would have to run with no shade or trim a little off the end of the shade.

thank you fireguyty, good information!! i just had a .300 wm custom build done & love the rifle. was thinking either DTA or AI for my next rig. been back and forth, but like the concept of the DTA system. a buddy had a DTA and i really enjoyed shooting it.

you still shooting DTA's? and would you recommend one??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonmower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

you still shooting DTA's? and would you recommend one??</div></div>

Still shooting DTA? Only as often as my bank account can replenish my reloading supplies.

Recommend? Yeah, they are every bit the finest precision rifle available IMO.

Anyway, seems like I am trolling the hell out of this thread today.........

well i appreciate the input! thank you very much!! hopefully will be buying a DTA before next spring. wish i had a money tree, but i don't. so i'll have to wait.
thx again!

Today was the first day on the range with my new DTA and a used .243 barrel. I fired 6 rounds to zero, the next five rounds went into the group below. I wasn't expecting this type of accuracy!

I was shooting 105 Amax, Win Brass, H4831SC
2012-07-14_07-19-33_166.jpg

Why does nobody expect them to shoot well? I wouldn't have kept one in my safe for the last three years, have gone through both gens, jeez. I have a custom gun in every caliber I have for my DTA and it still goes to the range more then just about any of em. It's a great system

I've had two full on custom guns from big name guys, and I've never shot a group that tight. I was expecting about the same type of accuracy as the other guns, maybe slightly worse.

thx everyone!! you've made a good point on accuracy. my next rig will be a DTA!! do any of you have issues with losing moa b/c of the quad rail?? another member answered this for me earlier, but would like more input from other sources too. not that i don't believe, just want more input.

and no accuracy issues from anyone else??

Sorry, I dont understand your question losing MOA b/c quad rail?.... Your scope base actually mounts to the chassis, the quad rail is independant from the chassis, Neither one have taper. I would love to give you some input but I need to understand your question more clear. I've been around alot of DTA rifles, accuracy has never been an issue. Losing MOA? What's your take TY?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonmower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">losing moa b/c your bell isn't smacked down to the barrel? </div></div>
As with many other chassis, you dont loose enough to worry about, especially if you use good parts.

In other words, its not a concern at all.

k. thank you coldboremiracle! that's the info i was wondering about. love these systems (concept). just wanted answer's to questions i am thinking may cause issues. those issues have been put to rest. thank you all for sharing your information/experience with me!! wasn't skeptical of the rifle, but wanted to make sure it is right for me. going for a test drive in near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonmower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">losing moa b/c your bell isn't smacked down to the barrel? </div></div>

I think he is talking about scope height from the bore and its effect on your zero, and long range dope?

My experience with this is that my dope tends to be about .3 mil less than traditional rifles tapering up at about 250 yards, and stays about that to infinite distance. However, short range tends to be much more with the elevated scope height starting at about 25 yards and in.

With short range dot drills at 12 yards my dope is 4 mil vs. a standard rifle's 2.5.

That help?

Ty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the 7 SAUM all sorted out, hide your targets.

66D6CEFE-2.jpg
</div></div>

What did you do to get it to feed properly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did you do to get it to feed properly? </div></div>

I finally got a good couple of loads worked out, feeding is still a little iffy, but I haven't even altered my mags yet. hopefully this week. Then, look out world.

yes, fireguyty. that answers my question. & thanks to all for answering my questions! just want to be sure when spending this much $$.

& RMW, nice looking rig!!