• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

That is exaclty how I run it,

I use a .308 barrel for cheap practice then the 7WSM or .243 when needed for competition.

Ewen

About how many rounds can I expect to get through the 243 before I burn it out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About how many rounds can I expect to get through the 243 before I burn it out?</div></div>

Lot of variables in that question;

- How hot you going to run it - since it's a .243, why have one if you aren't going to hot rod it...

- Are you going to run coated bullets?

- Are you going to melonite the barrel?

- What kind of fire strings are you go to be shooting, between letting your barrel rest?

All that taken into account Mike claims that Moon got 3000+ out of his Tactical Comp .243; running 115 DTACs (BN coated) @ 3100fps and was still winning matches.

Well finally toon the plunge and got with lazy21 and ordered my Us optocs SN3 Tpal 5x25.... Pretty excited to finally finish up the DTA all I need now is barrel from sac so gonna call mark Monday and get that going.

Finally "TOOK" the plunge and got with lazy21 and ordered my us "OPTICS" sn3 Tpal 5x25.... Pretty excited to finally finish up the DTA all I need now is a barrel from sac so gonna call mark Monday and get that going.

Thanks for the heads up on the primers. That is what I was thinking. Running a moderate load, so I will probably end up just running it as is. Makes it easy to keep DTA brass separate from the others lol.

Well I finally got my SRS in 7WSM today, I had Mark @ SAC fix me up with one of his DTA 28" Bartlein barrels. I hope to get it to the range later this week to break in. and also test out the LRA bipod.
DSC00575.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

Sully

Anyone looked at using the HTI rings on their SRS.

Hi
while shooting the 260 rem yesterday i had a pierced primer. got it back only to find out why. My firing pin had broke causing a sharp spike. Anyone else had a similar thing with the SRS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSilva</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi
while shooting the 260 rem yesterday i had a pierced primer. got it back only to find out why. My firing pin had broke causing a sharp spike. Anyone else had a similar thing with the SRS?</div></div>

No experience in this, but give DTA a call ASAP, they'll take care of it for you.

I posted this in the reloading section, but figured this would be a good spot for the topic as well...

Been looking more and more into a covert length barrel for my DTA, to complement my 26", now that there is a hand guard conversion kit. And with SAC spinning up custom DTA barrels the option are there. Biggest thing holding me back is actually finding load data for short barrels....

Here is a quote from SR90 outlining the performance of the 300 and 338 performance with factory ammo:

Originally Posted By: sr90
Guns4570,
We finished up testing different barrel lengths with the 338LM and 300WIN for the covert rifle system:

- The 18" barrels in .338LM got 2630 fps with 300 grain (factory Corbon ammo) down from 2874 fps with 26" tubes.

- The 300 Win got 2826fps with 185 grain Berger (HSM factory ammo) down from 3050 fps with 26" tube.

Temp was 95 deg at approx 5300 ft above sea level. Production barrels on on order and will be several weeks out.

I'm curious how much velocity I could get out of a 208 amax with the 300 win mag in an 18" barrel; 2700fps (based on the above numbers) seems very doable.

Numbers from JBM (alt=0 temp=59F)
@1000y = -319.85" / -9.05 mil / 1501fps / 1041ft-lbs
10mph cross wind = 67.91" / 1.92 mil

That's some really nice ballistics out of a 28" OAL rifle

Looking for opinions and insight....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted this in the reloading section, but figured this would be a good spot for the topic as well...

Been looking more and more into a covert length barrel for my DTA, to complement my 26", now that there is a hand guard conversion kit. And with SAC spinning up custom DTA barrels the option are there. Biggest thing holding me back is actually finding load data for short barrels....

Here is a quote from SR90 outlining the performance of the 300 and 338 performance with factory ammo:

Originally Posted By: sr90
Guns4570,
We finished up testing different barrel lengths with the 338LM and 300WIN for the covert rifle system:

- The 18" barrels in .338LM got 2630 fps with 300 grain (factory Corbon ammo) down from 2874 fps with 26" tubes.

- The 300 Win got 2826fps with 185 grain Berger (HSM factory ammo) down from 3050 fps with 26" tube.

Temp was 95 deg at approx 5300 ft above sea level. Production barrels on on order and will be several weeks out.

I'm curious how much velocity I could get out of a 208 amax with the 300 win mag in an 18" barrel; 2700fps (based on the above numbers) seems very doable.

Numbers from JBM (alt=0 temp=59F)
@1000y = -319.85" / -9.05 mil / 1501fps / 1041ft-lbs
10mph cross wind = 67.91" / 1.92 mil

That's some really nice ballistics out of a 28" OAL rifle

Looking for opinions and insight....
</div></div>

Does no one own the 18" 300 win mag???

Based on everyone's collective/cumulative experience, if you needed to carry spare parts, what would you carry? I'm trying to figure out what the minimum I can carry for a multi day trip and still keep the gun operational.... I've not had any problems once I adjusted the pin in the bolt (was getting dented primers) but other than that, it's been solid...

Also, does anyone know what size allen wrenches fit all of the different bolts on the SRS? I think it's 5mm for the extension and DTA rings, but not sure on the flush cup swivels or stock panel screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on everyone's collective/cumulative experience, if you needed to carry spare parts, what would you carry? I'm trying to figure out what the minimum I can carry for a multi day trip and still keep the gun operational.... I've not had any problems once I adjusted the pin in the bolt (was getting dented primers) but other than that, it's been solid...

Also, does anyone know what size allen wrenches fit all of the different bolts on the SRS? I think it's 5mm for the extension and DTA rings, but not sure on the flush cup swivels or stock panel screws.</div></div>

I have had no need. I have about 5-6K rounds of different calibers through mine, with about 15-20 tac comps. It's no safe queen and has had very few issues. I did sheer my first extension pin the other day due to my own dumbness, but it was a quick fix.

The stock panels and cups are 3mm, clamp style muzzle break is 4mm, and the others that you mentioned are 5mm. Those are the only ones I have ever turned.

Goat, they have been talking about a 10 rounder for awhile, but I don't think its close.

Was talking with a DTA rep. he said they were bring out a bolt where you can switch faces. Allowing for .223 etc.
Anybody heard of this? Know when they'll be released etc?

Shot my SRS in .338 again today. If anyone reading this thread is ordering one soon and on the fence about getting the monopod option, please add it to your list. I have a first gen SRS without the monopod and wish I would have ordered it at the time. Really sucks without it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my SRS in .338 again today. If anyone reading this thread is ordering one soon and on the fence about getting the monopod option, please add it to your list. I have a first gen SRS without the monopod and wish I would have ordered it at the time. Really sucks without it.</div></div>

Send it back to DTA and have it retro fitted. $300ish (don't remember exact price) and all your woes are gone. Everytime I shoot off my monopod it almost feels like cheating.

What c.o.a.l. Are u guys using with your dts .308? How far off lands. Just got my DTS and trying to work up some loads. I used a oal gauge and came up with 2.292" from ogive. That would put my c.o.a.l. at 2.885". Seems long compared to my AR-10 which I load at 2.80". Mag length is a crazy 2.941"

Thanks.

Got my info from someone in the reloading section,
175gr BTHP 45.4gr Varget 2.86 COAL

Shot lights out for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad I found this thread. I have been thinking about getting a DTA rifle. Anybody here on the hide a dealer???</div></div>

check out RMW here on the hide...he deals them.

or...euroOptic, call Alex or Jason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes I have seen euroOptic has stuff on gunbroker. Decent prices.....

wish I could just find a chassis. may watch the for sale forum a while and see what pops up</div></div>

Rob at RMW will sell you just the chassis and euroOptic has them on their website for sale....one phone call and you'll have it in your hands in a few days.

-best of luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm I hear a big sucking sound from my bank account already.
I want a 338. :))
</div></div>

Fortunately, once it's all gone, you won't have suffer listening to that annoying sound any longer (LOL).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm I hear a big sucking sound from my bank account already.
</div></div>

Fortunately, once it's all gone, you won't have suffer listening to that annoying sound any longer (LOL). </div></div>

Ain't that the truth. (LOL)

PSYOPS - the 6.5 Creedmoor barrels should be here shortly. I know that I have one extra if anyone is interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad I found this thread. I have been thinking about getting a DTA rifle. Anybody here on the hide a dealer???</div></div>

check out RMW here on the hide...he deals them.

or...euroOptic, call Alex or Jason. </div></div>

+1 for RMW great customer service! Definitely check him out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmm I hear a big sucking sound from my bank account already.
</div></div>

Fortunately, once it's all gone, you won't have suffer listening to that annoying sound any longer (LOL).</div></div>

yeah....God it will be such a relief when my bank accnt is empty and I don't have to listen to that sucking sound. :)))

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

gstaylorg,

Have you noticed bullet failure shooting that 16" 1:8 twist barrel?

I'm nervous about the performance of AMAX or other thin jacket bullets.

The thing about the 1:8 twist .308 barrel, from my experience, is that it prefers the heavier bullets - that's all. I tested a variety of factory ammo and my own proven handloads, and performance was best with 175gr and heavier bullets. It would shoot my 155 Scenar load, but not group as well as it did out of my 22" barrel. When you consider that it's designed to work with a can, it makes even more sense shooting subsonic 220gr bullets.

Thanks Dogtown.

I accidentally picked up a 1:8 twist blank for a .308 build...it is to have a 20" barrel, and io intend to shoot two types of bullets exclusively...175SMK/178AMAX/BTHP for 200-300yard and 208AMAX for 600yard slow fire.

I was worried about bullet RPMS expecially with the thin-walled AMAX.

I took solace in the fact that:
1. Same bullets are shot out of 300WM at 300-500fps faster and only about 10% less RPMs with no ill-effects.
2. 5.56mm-6.5mm bullets routinely shoot amaxes at much higher velocities than I will, again with no ill effects.

My gunsmith had mentioned that i may loose bullets to jacket failure, but i dont think this will be the case based on the ponits i listed above.

The fact that your own reloading experience backs my conclusion (its gonna be ok in a .308 application) really makes me feel better.

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gstaylorg,

Have you noticed bullet failure shooting that 16" 1:8 twist barrel?

I'm nervous about the performance of AMAX or other thin jacket bullets. </div></div>

I've shot many different types of projectiles through the 16" 8-twist barrel including 150 SSTs, 155 Scenars, 168/175/190 SMKs, Applied Ballistics 175 Tacticals, 180 Nosler Accubonds, and 176/190 gr Predator solids. I have had <span style="font-style: italic">no issues related to twist with any of them</span>. Obviously, some performed better than others, but no issues as far as the jacket. However, although I have some 168 AMAXs, I have never used them through the DTA. Sorry I can't be of any more help, just haven't shot them through my Covert. If any of the projectiles above such as the SSTs or Nosler Accubonds are considered "thin-jacketed", that would answer your question. I'm not sure about jacket thickness on those, I just, you know...shoot 'em (LOL).

Has anyone had problems with suppressors hitting the hand guard when using the 22" 308 barrels?

I've got an AAC SDN-6 and I got a 51 tooth brake threaded in 3/4 x 24 from AAC, however, the can hits the hand guard before it's fully seated on the mount. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and if their is an easy solution?

Thanks,

We ran some TitanQD cans on the 22" 308 barrels and there was plenty of clearance between the handguard and can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregsjt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had problems with suppressors hitting the hand guard when using the 22" 308 barrels?

I've got an AAC SDN-6 and I got a 51 tooth brake threaded in 3/4 x 24 from AAC, however, the can hits the hand guard before it's fully seated on the mount. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and if their is an easy solution?

Thanks, </div></div>

I had that problem with a YHM Phantom .308, but only because I had my Covert .308 barrel re-threaded to 5/8-24, but just shaved a little of the handguard off and it works great now. Something to keep in mind when using a DT can. I hadn't thought about it till it was in hand.

Instead of re-threading 3/4 to 5/8, you can pick up a Delta P adapter. I rock it this way with my 30p, and it adds about 1/4 inch. Which allows me clearance for a Tab cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregsjt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had problems with suppressors hitting the hand guard when using the 22" 308 barrels?

Thanks, </div></div>

No problems with a TBAC 30P can on a 22" .308 barrel.

Question for you .338 guys. Gonna have my DTA deployment kit in .309/.338 glassed up soon with PR 5x25, mildot. What range would you suggest zeroing the .338 at? As well, are most running pods at mid length?

I' looking for information and feedback on the 7 WSM conversions. Do these use the same bolt as the 300 Win Mag? Which magazine does it use? I'm guessing they can be loaded longer than what is possible with an AICS magazine? Last but not least, do they feed reliably?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I' looking for information and feedback on the 7 WSM conversions. Do these use the same bolt as the 300 Win Mag? Which magazine does it use? I'm guessing they can be loaded longer than what is possible with an AICS magazine? Last but not least, do they feed reliably? </div></div>

Yes, they use the 300wm bolt and magazine, I have heard from those that shoot them that they will cycle fine. I chose to go with the 7SAUM, and it does not feed as reliably as the wsm. Gonna need some 'justment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for you .338 guys. Gonna have my DTA deployment kit in .309/.338 glassed up soon with PR 5x25, mildot. What range would you suggest zeroing the .338 at? As well, are most running pods at mid length?</div></div>

I zero mine at 100 yards and it's still good to a mile in less than 20 mils.

Been drooling over these, but don’t know anyone with one. Can someone describe the trigger pull? Is it crisp like say what we are used to on Remington/Winchester etc. bolt actions???

I couldn't improve my trigger if I tried, its perfect. If your used to a shoe that is heavily concave the straight trigger in the DTA may feel a little different to you at first, but you'll get over it quick.

There is a learning curve, crisp like break but different from what you are use to,no trigger stop. To me more like shooting a gas gun in that you must continue to follow through. Tendency to relax hand or stop pulling through after the break. I would really like a double stage with a trigger stop. I really like the DTA on my second .308 barrel which is to say I shoot it alot. You really have to drive this rifle, can't get sleepy or sloppy behind the the gun like you can on my AIAW. It would really be great if you could get some time behind one, that all said I really like the rifle but it's not like AI, Rem trigger or Sako TRG

Been finger popping mine, waiting for glass, but the trigger feels good man. Especially since you can fully adjust it, even forward and aft. Now, it's not a jewell but it's good.