• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Obr, srs, 700 20"

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 42
Have the SRS in .338 lapua...looking to add the .308... wich one ?....see there is a 22" and 26" any input would be much appriciated thanks

No, not really.

On the SRS the majority of the weight is at the rear, a stark contrast to the way a conventional platform is. Thats why it's such a beautiful animal in positional shooting.

I doubt it - the SRS's center of gravity pretty much maintains over the pistol grip, so a longer barrel, if anything, might make it bias forward. And for what it's worth, the 16" .308WIN barrel is flat out impressive, to the point where I can't see a reason for a longer .308WIN barrel. Now granted you may not want to swap handguards, so think the 22" barrel is a better default choice.

I'm getting the SRS but like the idea of having a short forend for brushy environments, how hard is it to put a covert forend on an SRS, what tools do I need?

No, not really.

On the SRS the majority of the weight is at the rear, a stark contrast to the way a conventional platform is. Thats why it's such a beautiful animal in positional shooting.

I doubt it - the SRS's center of gravity pretty much maintains over the pistol grip, so a longer barrel, if anything, might make it bias forward. And for what it's worth, the 16" .308WIN barrel is flat out impressive, to the point where I can't see a reason for a longer .308WIN barrel. Now granted you may not want to swap handguards, so think the 22" barrel is a better default choice.

Thanks!

I really don't see any advantage going with the 26", but I felt that it might put a little more weight upfront...Either way, I have been closely following DTA's for the past year and am finally thinking about pulling the trigger on a setup.

I'm getting the SRS but like the idea of having a short forend for brushy environments, how hard is it to put a covert forend on an SRS, what tools do I need?

It's not something you can do in the field, but it isn't difficult either. You have to strip the skins off and mount the receiver in a vice, unscrew the locking assembly where the handguard meets the receiver, then unscrew and replace. The first time is the most difficult but it gets easier after you've done it a few times. The spare hanguards come with a tool that helps you get some leverage as well as instructions. I've been working on my own aftermarket design that will make it easier to swap handguards, stay tuned.

I've posted this question before and have been looking for info. Does anyone know where or when kahles is releasing their dta reticle scope?

If anyone here has an SRS with the quad rail and would like to trade for the new A1 rail, shoot me a PM. I have an A1 on order and would rather have a quad rail. DTA told me they couldn't put the older rail on my A1 for some reason.

Well I got my DTA Standard brake today in the mail today and was all hyped up to go shoot my .338lm tomorrow and then again at a match on Wednesday but when I go to put it on it won't thread on. Shit. The timing screw was entirely out of the brake as to not put any downward pressure on the threads. Nothing. It will thread down a few threads and then binds up. I'm pretty sure there isn't a problem with the threads on the barrel as it's factory new and the DTA thread protector screws on and off no problem.

So I call and talk to Josh, who is real nice, and he says he will get me one out and try to get expedite shipping so I can have it for my match on Wednesday. I understand shit happens and at this point I'm still pretty happy with their effort to get this system running right. Then I get a call back from him stating that the shipping department won't overnight ship anything unless the customer pays shipping and that it would be $26 to do so. Kind of disappointing investing 5k+ in a system and then having $26 be an issue. So it looks like the .338 will not be making an appearance at the match. I must have bad luck because in my first week owning the rifle I had a bad firing pin spring(which was taken care of by DTA) and now this. Other than this I'm REAL happy with the rifle and it's probably the nicest one I've ever owned, just kind of frustrating. Sorry for the whining and complaining I just needed to vent a little :).

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like bad luck. Late last year I ordered some new barrels and brakes while in New Zealand so I could put them to use when I arrived back in the States with a very short window to setup and shoot. All 3 brakes came with timing shims and in short order I got brakes on my first gen .338LM barrel, a 6.5x47 and a .308WIN - all without a hitch.

My timing shims are stainless steel, I thought they were suppose to be coated.

What is the best process to timing the QD brake, just use a level?

If anyone here has an SRS with the quad rail and would like to trade for the new A1 rail, shoot me a PM. I have an A1 on order and would rather have a quad rail. DTA told me they couldn't put the older rail on my A1 for some reason.

I sent you a pm regarding this, I'm interested in a trade.

I sent you a pm regarding this, I'm interested in a trade.

Wow that is cool. I have NEVER seen anyone try to downgrade on ANY item before. I recently bought a gen 2 knowing the A1 was due soon. I'm glad I didn't hesitate to snatch that baby up when I did. It's gonna be months before ya'll see that A1. I'll have my loads down for the 308 and 338 by then.

Wow that is cool. I have NEVER seen anyone try to downgrade on ANY item before. I recently bought a gen 2 knowing the A1 was due soon. I'm glad I didn't hesitate to snatch that baby up when I did. It's gonna be months before ya'll see that A1. I'll have my loads down for the 308 and 338 by then.

LOL, I wouldn't call it a downgrade by any stretch. I prefer the quad rail personally so I have all the upgrades EXCEPT for the for end. I've never been accused of being conventional though.

Wow that is cool. I have NEVER seen anyone try to downgrade on ANY item before. I recently bought a gen 2 knowing the A1 was due soon. I'm glad I didn't hesitate to snatch that baby up when I did.""""""It's gonna be months before ya'll see that A1""""". I'll have my loads down for the 308 and 338 by then.

Months? last post of the previous page said weeks for the first shipment. So which is it? Months or Weeks?

Like I said previously, I talked to DTA (not going to give names) and they said in 1-2 weeks euro optics will have around 30 A1's.

Last edited:
This has probably been introduced in this thread but what is the price of a benchmark DTA SRS conversion kit (22" threaded, fluted, and cerakoted)

Also how do these shoot? I'm having SAC build me a 300 WM and I'm decideding if I want to get DTA's conversion kit for my .308 or benchmarks.

Last edited:
Not that I'm all too concerned about when I get mine (not sure as to where I sit in SAC's order q), but an official this is how things are progressing would be nice. (especially on the finance side of it).

Sure Russ..... Just keep bragging about that gen1 you have with the cheek piece and butt pad upgrade. Been awhile since you posted a pic of the PSR too! Must be nice to be an employee of Nicks. Lol

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't call an iPhone 4 a downgrade to a iPhone 4S either, but it is what it is. I'm not saying its an outdated piece is garbage. Just saying its been replaced with something newer.

Hell I don't know. They were supposed to be shipping in Feb at first. You know how it works in this business. I've been preaching here for months that one is a fool to wait for the A1 when you can probably find a gen 2 that's cheaper and better in some guys opinions. Now it's too late and the majority of guys waiting aren't going to get their hands on it for a year! Better than 2 years I just got quoted on a Wilson Combat AR.

I'd rather have them make guns then answer questions like that. It is what it is and it looks bad when you say something and it takes 10 times longer.

This has probably been introduced in this thread but what is the price of a benchmark DTA SRS conversion kit (22" threaded, fluted, and cerakoted)

Also how do these shoot? I'm having SAC build me a 300 WM and I'm decideding if I want to get DTA's conversion kit for my .308 or benchmarks.

No disrespect to the fine gunsmiths producing dTA parts, but when I put parts on my Ferrari, I use genuine Ferrari parts. Well I would if I owned a Ferrari... Which I don't. I'd stick with DTA parts if in fact DTA makes them.

Benchmark barrel win a lot of competitions, and DTA doesn't make their own barrels, lother Walter does. Places an order for a .308 barrel with Chris at BM and he is very professional and answered all my questions and specs.

Can't say about BM barrels never owned one but a shooting buddy of mine had one for his DTA and ended up replacing it with one from SAC and is very happy. I have (2) SAC barrels and (2) DTA barrels and both shoot great. I think Mark of SAC customs does fantastic work (fit,finish and performance) and I would not hesitate getting more of my barrels from him in calibers that DTA doesn't offer. For my DTA barrels they will only come from these (2) vendors, I have no reason to look elsewhere. Your choice could be different.
Good luck...choose wisely!
Sully

No disrespect to the fine gunsmiths producing dTA parts, but when I put parts on my Ferrari, I use genuine Ferrari parts. Well I would if I owned a Ferrari... Which I don't. I'd stick with DTA parts if in fact DTA makes them.
I have to respectfully disagree with your argument. I understand where you're coming from, but you seem to be unfamiliar with Mark's work. ALL of my DTA barrels will be coming from SAC. Coincidentally, I do actually own a make-believe Ferrari, and I use SAC part on that, too!

Last edited:
Dear Sirs Council

I have a DTA, imported legally in Brazil, is already my second DTA, the first sold because I could not stand the pressure of the buyer.

My question is, where can buy accessories for my .308 and .338 DTA, I would buy a bag, a protective guard rails and cheek, but can not find on the internet.

I thank you and apologize for the bad English.

Best Regards

Selva

Can't say about BM barrels never owned one but a shooting buddy of mine had one for his DTA and ended up replacing it with one from SAC and is very happy. I have (2) SAC barrels and (2) DTA barrels and both shoot great. I think Mark of SAC customs does fantastic work (fit,finish and performance) and I would not hesitate getting more of my barrels from him in calibers that DTA doesn't offer. For my DTA barrels they will only come from these (2) vendors, I have no reason to look elsewhere. Your choice could be different.
Good luck...choose wisely!
Sully

Totally agree my DTA barrels are great but my SAC 6.5CM shoots lights out!

Sure Russ..... Just keep bragging about that gen1 you have with the cheek piece and butt pad upgrade. Been awhile since you posted a pic of the PSR too! Must be nice to be an employee of Nicks. Lol

Just to be clear..... I don't own a gen 1. I don't have a butt pad upgrade on any of my rifles. Put your purses down ladies. I don't have the cheek piece on my covert either. I personally don't see the utility of it other than not having my hace on the cold rifle in less than perfect conditions. I do however have "THE" PSR and yes I did get a cheek piece on it, well just cuz I can.

For anyone who wonders...... Employees very seldom get new rifles. We buy our demos, like I did or wait in line just like a customer.

I don't even have an A1 as a demo yet. I like to see you guys get your rifles and these boys in the shop are hopping.

I will get a fresh pic of the old girl posted up next week for you Mikeltee, haha, I am putting a new Steiner through its paces and getting ready for a ELR class.

Shoot straight gents.

Yeah I'm just having trouble spending $1600 for a barrel alone. I think I'm going to give the benchmark a try. If anyone has any expience with them or objections please let me know before I place the order in Monday.

Thanks. I was concerned with the length of the Steiner being an issue with the Spuhr 44 MOA mount.

Thanks, Sully. I have a Premier, as well, so if it becomes a problem I'll just swap it on to the DTA. I was worried about the Steiner being a bit longer than the Premier, but hopefully .3 inches won't make a difference. I think DTA should move me to the top of the A1 queue, so I can do some empirical testing ;)

SRS

First day with my SRS, great rifle. I can't say I miss the OBR. Last two groups for the day 5rd and 5rd (fast shooting)

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 28
Just to be clear..... I don't own a gen 1. I don't have a butt pad upgrade on any of my rifles. Put your purses down ladies. I don't have the cheek piece on my covert either. I personally don't see the utility of it other than not having my hace on the cold rifle in less than perfect conditions. I do however have "THE" PSR and yes I did get a cheek piece on it, well just cuz I can.

For anyone who wonders...... Employees very seldom get new rifles. We buy our demos, like I did or wait in line just like a customer.

I don't even have an A1 as a demo yet. I like to see you guys get your rifles and these boys in the shop are hopping.

I will get a fresh pic of the old girl posted up next week for you Mikeltee, haha, I am putting a new Steiner through its paces and getting ready for a ELR class.

Shoot straight gents.

And just to be clear with you... I was totally joking. No one is jealous of your access to the latest toys at DTA. Well... Not that jealous anyways to be calling you out. Now get back to work and send me my 200 rounds of 338 ammo. Lol

And just to be clear with you... I was totally joking. No one is jealous of your access to the latest toys at DTA. Well... Not that jealous anyways to be calling you out. Now get back to work and send me my 200 rounds of 338 ammo. Lol

I know you were joking. I would love to send you some ammo! I would love to get components in to be able to load more ammo and send out all of it. Keep patient gents, its rough right now.

As requested.

High Tech Redneck:

Loving that new target camera system

I know you were joking. I would love to send you some ammo! I would love to get components in to be able to load more ammo and send out all of it. Keep patient gents, its rough right now.

As requested.

High Tech Redneck:

Loving that new target camera system

So jealous - wow!

Here's my rifle with the Spuhr mount. I prefer the DTA mount, but I have a 30 MOA taper on my top rail for the length of the rifle. I needed a 0 MOA mount and we don't offer that in a 34mm mount. The Spuhr has some great points, but there are a few things I don't like about them. I'm not getting into that here online though.
Scope_zps15d6333d.jpg

Another view of the cheek rest for anyone interested.
CheekRest_zpsa6880d86.jpg

We have some wide open spaces here in Utah to stretch out our systems.
SupportGear_zps52b3c223.jpg

Russ @ Desert Tactical

These are some of the most badass rifles I've ever seen.

I just got my covert handguard and my 308 covert bbl installed, took it to the range yesterday and put 25rds down the pipe to check it out and log zero for my scope. It shot pretty good.4 to .6moa. Nothing to brag about but I'm glad I shoot suppressed cause the darn thing is shorter than my scope but I'm loving it!

This system has got addictive now (4) different conversions, and I'm waiting on my HTI and my wallet hopes it's not the same way!!! DTA just needs to stop coming up with more stuff!!! Not really
Sully