• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

My new skins and monopod assembly showed up finally and I got them swapped onto the rifle last night. Easy install since the receiver was already set up for the pod. Skins seem to be a little bit harder plastic than those I removed and the green is a little lighter but they look good and the monopod works great. Looking forward to getting it out to the range this week. Thanks to the DTA guys for the products. Any market for used green non monopod skins from a first version SRS?

Frank

Does anyone have any pics of DTAs done in Multicam? I'm thinking about getting it dipped but I'm not sure if I want to just do the skins or the whole rifle.

Last edited:
Just another great DTA story:

Saturday I took a coworker out shooting for the very first time. Previous experience was limited to bb guns. So after going over all the safety stuff, getting set up, etc. I hand over my DTA SRS in 308win to her. Her first 5 shots (out of any bolt action rifle) at 100yds with my reloads resulted in a .6 moa group center-to-center with three of the five landing within .125" center-to-center. Amazing. So we set up the 300yd target (max distance at this range) and adjust the scope. Her next 5 shots at 300yds were just under 3 inches center-to-center. Sumbitchin awesome. Next we set up clays on the berm and shot at those. She made first round hits on 5 or 6 shots out of 7. I was blown away.

So straight off the bat the DTA can turn a novice into a sub-moa shooter!

My setup:
DTA SRS 22" 308win and monopod
S&B 5-25x56mm
Spuhr SP-4802
Harris Bipod with ADM mount and Pod-Loc

Brass - Black Hills
Primer - Federal 210m
Powder - 45.5gr Varget
Bullet - 178gr Hornady BTHP
OAL - 3.870"

Saturday I took a coworker out shooting for the very first time. Previous experience was limited to bb guns. So after going over all the safety stuff, getting set up, etc. I hand over my DTA SRS in 308win to her. Her first 5 shots (out of any bolt action rifle) at 100yds with my reloads resulted in a .6 moa group center-to-center with three of the five landing within .125" center-to-center. Amazing. So we set up the 300yd target (max distance at this range) and adjust the scope. Her next 5 shots at 300yds were just under 3 inches center-to-center. Sumbitchin awesome. Next we set up clays on the berm and shot at those. She made first round hits on 5 or 6 shots out of 7. I was blown away.

My setup:
S&B 5-25x56mm
Spuhr SP-4802

Brass - Black Hills
Primer - Federal 210m
Powder - 45.5gr Varget
OAL - 3.870"

And how does it shoot with an expert marksman like your self sir? :)

Any pictures?

And how does it shoot with an expert marksman like your self sir? :)

Any pictures?

I plead the 5th, haha. The best 5 shot group I've been able to get with the rifle was just above .25" center-to-center at 100yds. At 300yds my best was about 1.25" for 5 shots. Typical me probably averages around .5-.7 moa with a few rare sub-.5 moa groups thrown in there too.

She definitely outshot me with the DTA while I was shooting my 700P.

Haha nice, I just asked because my girlfriend is the same way, she's deadly accurate and hardly shoots, I don't get it!

Im going to get a barrel made for my covert and I wanted a caliber that would work good for the short 16" barrel, be flat shooting and have enough energy to take out a deer with a well placed shot at around 700 Yards. I don't have Quickloads to check MV and things out put can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction, i don't really want a .308; maybe a 6.5X47 lapua?

My setup:
S&B 5-25x56mm
Spuhr SP-4802

Brass - Black Hills
Primer - Federal 210m
Powder - 45.5gr Varget
OAL - 3.870"

I bet she kicks your ass in the NCAA brackets too doesn't she. Lol
If you can sqeeeeeeeeeeeze a trigger, you can shoot a DTA accurately.

Im going to get a barrel made for my covert and I wanted a caliber that would work good for the short 16" barrel, be flat shooting and have enough energy to take out a deer with a well placed shot at around 700 Yards. I don't have Quickloads to check MV and things out put can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction, i don't really want a .308; maybe a 6.5X47 lapua?

The .308WIN 16" is almost ideal on the SRS in my opinion, but if you're against that cartridge you could do a 6.5 variant shooting 123s, but the advantage of the 6.5s really starts to become apparent when you get them running fast. How about an 18" .300WM instead? The smith who's been making a suppressor for my SRS hunts with a shorty .300WM all the time.

At what length barrel SRS covert becomes a NFA rifle? is it 16" or under 16"?

ummmm? I think your asking if you can go under 16". No, anything under 16" is considered a short barrel rifle (SBR) and registration would be required.

Here's what the law says:
(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or
more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made
from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if
such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than
twenty-six inches.
ATF says that means that all rifles have to have an overall length at least 26".

ummmm? I think your asking if you can go under 16". No, anything under 16" is considered a short barrel rifle (SBR) and registration would be required.

Here's what the law says:
(8) The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or
more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made
from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if
such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than
twenty-six inches.
ATF says that means that all rifles have to have an overall length at least 26".

So covert with 16" barrel is over 26" overall length? I knew about the 16" barrel just wasn't sure about the overall length. Thanks

Depending on how you have it setup, number of spacers in the butt pad it will be a hair over 26", but can't be any shorter unless you intentionally get a shorter barrel.

For Instance, I just put a tape measure to mine, with a single butt pad spacer and the old style pad to the muzzle is 27 1/8". Thats with a factory DTA barrel.

Over all length of the covert with Factory DTA barrel:

Factory Covert Barrel with DTM brake and 26" SRS:

16.5" covert with YHM brake with SRS 26":

Suppressed, YHM .30 cal and DTSS Titanium:

With DTM ammo I average 2462 out of the 16" DTA barrel unsuppressed. That's down from 2650 out of a 22" DTA barrel unsuppressed.

Why do you guys put covers over your supressors? Is it too prevent scratches? Doesn't it get real hot and possibly burn after firing a long string? Just wondering as I have my first set of cans inbound in a few months. Still waiting on my DTA can to arrive to my dealer.

the covers are filled with the same things as welding gloves, etc they are designed to reduce mirage off the can distorting image in your scope. TAB gear makes some nice ones as does a few other companies, highly suggest you get one

She just hardly needs any practice, as she's already quite good! :)

Some people just listen to instructions and follow through. A fresh, clean slate that will listen to your instructions is often preferred over someone who has a tiny bit of experience and enough to make them think they know better but unaware of their bad habits.

Some people just listen to instructions and follow through. A fresh, clean slate that will listen to your instructions is often preferred over someone who has a tiny bit of experience and enough to make them think they know better but unaware of their bad habits.

I'm not saying I still can't out shoot her ;)

I agree with that though.

.5 or better with every barrel i have and i have 6 factory DTA conversions. The gun just plain shoots. I let students shoot it on a regular basis and there is nothing better then kids get their first hits on steel at 1000 with first round impacts.

Has anyone measured their chamber on a .308 or .338lm? If so what did you come up with?

I have a first gen SRS and my .338LM chamber is pretty tight, though I haven't measured specific dimensions. I started out neck sizing like all of my other rifles but found that I needed to bump the shoulder back every single time. At the time the first batch of rifles went out (early 2009) I think Nick had stated they used a match chamber.

I have a first gen SRS and my .338LM chamber is pretty tight, though I haven't measured specific dimensions. I started out neck sizing like all of my other rifles but found that I needed to bump the shoulder back every single time. At the time the first batch of rifles went out (early 2009) I think Nick had stated they used a match chamber.

What COAL are you using?

Has DTA made the new A1 forearms available for purchase yet? I didn't see them listed on the website. If not, does anyone have a timeline? Also, I remember reading somewhere in this thread that DTA was working on a WSM magazine. Is that true? Does anyone have an update?

Has DTA made the new A1 forearms available for purchase yet? I didn't see them listed on the website. If not, does anyone have a timeline? Also, I remember reading somewhere in this thread that DTA was working on a WSM magazine. Is that true? Does anyone have an update?

No, they aren't available for purchase separately. All for ends are being used in complete rifle builds. I doubt you will see conversions for quite some time. The DTA boys are extremely busy.

The 7WSM functions fine out of the standard magnum magazine.

Hey guys and gals, I just got through all the pages. This is an awesome thread/community. I just ordered the srs covert a-1 in 338 Lapua. This will be my first bolt action rifle. Looking forward to shooting and learning.

I couldn't take a hint with the warning so I post again so now I am banned for 2 months. Try and follow the rules when you return or the ban will be much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotator cuff repair isn't that bad man. I was back to benching 315 a year after I was cut open. The trick is to go to PT and don't push it for 6 months after surgery. Many docs tell you different. A friend has had 3 repairs because his doc didn't tell him to wait. Save your gun. If you order one now you probably won't have it by the time you are healed up.

Rotator cuff repair isn't that bad man. I was back to benching 315 a year after I was cut open. The trick is to go to PT and don't push it for 6 months after surgery. Many docs tell you different. A friend has had 3 repairs because his doc didn't tell him to wait. Save your gun. If you order one now you probably won't have it by the time you are healed up.

I think what he meant was that you were going to get banned for posting a for sale ad in an area that prohibits for sale ads. You're fairly new here so maybe they'll just give you a warning. If I was you id cut your above for sale post and post it over in the equipment exchange. Best of luck on your recovery.

Anyone know of a place that had DTA SRS .338 Lapua Magnum mags in stock? Having a hard time finding them.

I received my DTA last fall, and since getting, I’ve mostly been working on load development pretty much the entire time. My DTA is in 300 win mag, and a lot of the recipes I’ve tried have been recommendations from here on The Hide. The most popular is the combination of H1000 and 208gr Amax. I had absolute no luck with any combination I tried with H1000 and 208 Amax. I started with a ladder test, which told me almost nothing, and I then went on to just shooting groups at 100yds with different combos. I got something that worked OK, and it shot pretty consistent out to 750. However, after 750, the round started doing crazy stuff, like being a foot off in elevation (high or low). I’ve been shooting for a fair amount of time, but came to the conclusion that I must suck fairly bad. I had a seasoned buddy try my same load out of my rifle, and he couldn’t shoot it well either. I was a bit frustrated to say the least, as I had gone through about 250 rds and still hadn’t gotten something solid figured out.

Zak, from Thunderbeast, recommended trying H4831SC, and I’m so glad he did. I tried a few different loads, and things tightened up significantly! I experimented with seating depth this weekend, and finally got a solid load that I feel good about going forward with. My best 5 shot group was right about a quarter of an inch at 100yds. Below are a couple of pictures. The first being on paper, the second was the cardboard behind the paper with a dime for comparison.
8668338017_9e367805ce.jpg

8669442258_a8fd744923.jpg

Using the Hornady O.A.L gauge, the 208 A-max touches the lands at around 3.606 in my rifle. From there, I experimented with seating depths at 3.606, 3.595, and 3.585. My best results were with a 3.595 seating depth, which is about 0.010 off the lands. I got good results with 3.585 as well, but I pulled a round and the group didn’t look as nice, though I think going with 3.585 would yield good results as well. Below is what worked well in my rifle, but of course this isn’t going to work for everyone, but may give you some ideas:
Winchester Brass, already fire formed, and cut/chamfered/de-burred with Giraud case trimmer to 2.610 after having been neck sized using the 0.333 bushing in a Redding die on a Forster press.
71.5 grains of H4831SC
208 A-Max
COAL of 3.595
Federal GM215M Primers

Average Velocity - 2,881
Extreme Spread - 41
Average Deviation - 13
Standard Deviation - 16
Energy - 3,836

The bipod is a GG&G Extreme duty and the suppressor is a Thunderbeast 30P-1. I’m using a Vortex PST 4-16x, FFP MRAD with the DTA Rings with inserts. After yesterday, I’m seriously considering getting a S&B PMII 5-25x. The Vortex is solid, but I feel like it’s definitely a bottleneck at this point in terms of clarity and reticle thickness.

8668337009_f813ce68b6.jpg

8668335333_a194841175.jpg

Who's running a silencer on their .375, what are you using and how does it perform? Any chance of a run of .375's by Thunder Beast?

Has anyone had any issues running a heavier suppressor on their .308? I'm using a YHM .30 stainless steel suppressor with a Delta P Design adapter and QD YHM mount. I can't get anything to shoot better than 2" with this setup. It's driving me nuts. I've tried 155s, 168s, 175s, 178s, nothing. The barrel contour is heavy enough that I wouldn't thinking it would have a problem. I can't get it to shoot any of these match bullets better than 2" at 100yds without the suppressor either. Urgh...

Anyway my .338LM conversion is working AWESOME. I took it out yesterday and put my first rounds through it. Brand new barrel, no break in, and it shoots 1/4 MOA with the first load i feed it. Now if i can just get the .308 to do the same. Here's the .338lm load:

300gr SMK
92gr H1000
CCI Primer
Lapua x1 case
COAL 3.697
chrono'd at 2699fps

5 shots at 100yds

.338LM setup

I run a TBAC 30P-1 with the Delta P adapter on my 22" .308 and its .5 moa all day everyday. I would contact DTA

Last edited:
check the adapter and supressor for strikes. just a idea if its that wide my 308 stacks em with factory 175's just like all my other barrels. pull the can off and shoot some groups and see if it makes a dif.

2" at 100 Y doesn't sound good, I'd call DTA.

Has any one experimented with barrel harmonics after switching barrels? I would like to see an OCW test before and after taking the same barrel on and off. Does your "pet loads" stay friendly if you take your barrel off than on?