• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Curious as to their 10/22 platform.
I love my SRSA2; One of those purchases you look back at years later and say “yep, that was worth it.”
Really not a fan of my MDRX (308); suppressed or not, not particularly accurate despite a litany of ammunition and lots of feeding issues.
Not sure the benefit to a double stack AR platform over 40rd PMAG or 60rd mags, but I’m open to options.

Curious as to their 10/22 platform.
I love my SRSA2; One of those purchases you look back at years later and say “yep, that was worth it.”
Really not a fan of my MDRX (308); suppressed or not, not particularly accurate despite a litany of ammunition and lots of feeding issues.
Not sure the benefit to a double stack AR platform over 40rd PMAG or 60rd mags, but I’m open to options.
I am in the same boat as you. I am not sure why I even keep my MDR ot feeds terribly. Yes I have messed a lot with the gas system

I am in the same boat as you. I am not sure why I even keep my MDR ot feeds terribly. Yes I have messed a lot with the gas system
I’m debating selling it; I scarcely use it, and maybe it’d be a fine 5.56 platform, but frankly with folding stock AR “pistols,” what’s the difference.
And I adore my SRS.

Reactions: waveslayer
Is the MDR still having feeding/function issues all these years later?
I have a newish MDRX. 308. Fed some 168gr fine, not 175, not FGMM, hit or miss with others. Ran a few hundred rounds total for break-in. The issue comes down to it being very hard to extract a stuck round and basically needing to hammer the charging handle back.

It’s been thoroughly broken in, I get about 2moa, haven’t found a load it likes better, and kicks like a mule.

Compared to the SRS beside it doing bugholes, I’m meh on it.

Functionally, it’s truck gun accuracy and hefty.

Not sure what it has on a mini-30 or AK or etc etc etc practically given the price and function.

^^^None of that sounds good for a $2000 piece of kit. DT sure has had regression to the mean after the initial success of SRS/HTI, unfortunately. Glad I didn't take the fanboy plunge and not likely to with reports like this.

I had a pre-order MDR on order years ago but ended up selling my spot in line. With posts like this, I’m really glad I opted to use those funds for more productive things.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Still waiting on barrels. Hopefully they show up soon.

image-from-ios-31.jpg

Is that the DT brand hard and soft case? If not, which is it?
Yep. DT branded cases. A few gripes with the soft case, mostly to do with stowage of long mags like 8rd .338LM and 10rd .308 mags and no MOLLE loops inside to attach such things to. Plenty of MOLLE outside but I don't want it just outside. Some inside would be super helpful. The suppressor pocket I don't think is going to be big enough for my can. That might have been better accomplished with some capability for

Look at all the money you are saving!

Where did you order your barrels
I sense sarcasm there. This doesn't save money, quite the opporisite. It does save space though.

I ordered my .338LM barrel as a DT barrel through EuroOptic because they seemed to have it in stock. They didn't or I'd have it by now so it looks like that's going to be a drop-ship from DT and is probably still a month out. My .338WM, .308Win and .223Rem barrels I got through Short Action Customs and that's better because for those I didn't want just box stock stuff. SAC has been spectacular to deal with, BTW. Straight to the point, no dicking around. Not much different in price to a factory DT barrel but with Bartlein supplying the blanks.

Yep. DT branded cases. A few gripes with the soft case, mostly to do with stowage of long mags like 8rd .338LM and 10rd .308 mags and no MOLLE loops inside to attach such things to. Plenty of MOLLE outside but I don't want it just outside. Some inside would be super helpful. The suppressor pocket I don't think is going to be big enough for my can. That might have been better accomplished with some capability for

I sense sarcasm there. This doesn't save money, quite the opporisite. It does save space though.

I ordered my .338LM barrel as a DT barrel through EuroOptic because they seemed to have it in stock. They didn't or I'd have it by now so it looks like that's going to be a drop-ship from DT and is probably still a month out. My .338WM, .308Win and .223Rem barrels I got through Short Action Customs and that's better because for those I didn't want just box stock stuff. SAC has been spectacular to deal with, BTW. Straight to the point, no dicking around. Not much different in price to a factory DT barrel but with Bartlein supplying the blanks.
You will have good luck with SAC. I've had very good luck with Factory DT barrels as well though. In fact I haven't noticed a difference other than the shank size, which they claim helps improve accuracy... which doesn't make sense if I'm torquing it all down the same.

And yes on the sarcasm, you are in fact saving money by not shooting. 😉

You will have good luck with SAC. I've had very good luck with Factory DT barrels as well though. In fact I haven't noticed a difference other than the shank size, which they claim helps improve accuracy... which doesn't make sense if I'm torquing it all down the same.

And yes on the sarcasm, you are in fact saving money by not shooting. 😉
Meh... Every minute I'm not shooting it I seem to be acquiring more things to connect to it. If I could shoot it I'd be too busy doing that to accessorize it further. I'm joking, of course. I'm pretty well done accessorizing. Mostly I just want the .338LM barrel and bolt (or .338WM barrel and bolt) and the .308win barrel to get here so I can have a snowball's chance in hell of being able to take it hunting at my place in South Africa this summer. There's an oryx and a blue wildebeest with my name on it and if I'm lucky I may be able to get myself a giraffe. I'm sure a .338LM will take down a giraffe.

Meh... Every minute I'm not shooting it I seem to be acquiring more things to connect to it. If I could shoot it I'd be too busy doing that to accessorize it further. I'm joking, of course. I'm pretty well done accessorizing. Mostly I just want the .338LM barrel and bolt (or .338WM barrel and bolt) and the .308win barrel to get here so I can have a snowball's chance in hell of being able to take it hunting at my place in South Africa this summer. There's an oryx and a blue wildebeest with my name on it and if I'm lucky I may be able to get myself a giraffe. I'm sure a .338LM will take down a giraffe.
Let me know if it does… I’ve been mulling over a giraffe for a while. Flat skin rug, full length of the neck. Mount it aside a staircase.

Reactions: waveslayer
Let me know if it does… I’ve been mulling over a giraffe for a while. Flat skin rug, full length of the neck. Mount it aside a staircase.
A .338LM is more than sufficient for a giraffe even with a body shot. You just want to pick the right bullet. I'd probably be looking at something like a Peregrine 225gr VLR4 or an equivalent American bullet like a 225gr TSX. Something super tough that'll take a close impact at high speed and hold together through some pretty good size bones.

Since your PH is unlikely to let you even take a shot from more than about 100yrds you could just use a 300wm and shoot it in the neck or even in the noggin directly. It'll die for sure. Just put the bullet smack in the middle of the width of the neck from any angle. It'll fall right down. I've come to dislike shooting African game in the body. It just seems to provide them with additional air that they use to run away even with heart shots.

You must have one hell of a big house. My house in ZA is rather small, only about 700sqft because that's all the house I wanted to clean. A single giraffe would pretty much do the wallpaper for half the house. That's why I want a giraffe, to cover the inside walls of the house with. Average skin is around 20+ feet long from tip to tail and 8-10 or more feet wide and they weigh a BUNCH.

Reactions: deersniper
What is the appeal or attraction to killing a giraffe? Genuinely curious what the draw is.

A .338LM is more than sufficient for a giraffe even with a body shot. You just want to pick the right bullet. I'd probably be looking at something like a Peregrine 225gr VLR4 or an equivalent American bullet like a 225gr TSX. Something super tough that'll take a close impact at high speed and hold together through some pretty good size bones.

Since your PH is unlikely to let you even take a shot from more than about 100yrds you could just use a 300wm and shoot it in the neck or even in the noggin directly. It'll die for sure. Just put the bullet smack in the middle of the width of the neck from any angle. It'll fall right down. I've come to dislike shooting African game in the body. It just seems to provide them with additional air that they use to run away even with heart shots.

You must have one hell of a big house. My house in ZA is rather small, only about 700sqft because that's all the house I wanted to clean. A single giraffe would pretty much do the wallpaper for half the house. That's why I want a giraffe, to cover the inside walls of the house with. Average skin is around 20+ feet long from tip to tail and 8-10 or more feet wide and they weigh a BUNCH.
Used to have a hell of a house…. Now the ex wife does! Still have enough for that wall mount though.

Probably a lot of reasons. But I would guess one of the below.

1. Meat
2. Unique
3. Maybe they are pests
4. Trophy
5. Because they can
6. Population control
7. Money generation for the local tribe/government
Limited, in truth. More fun to feed them. But curious about what they taste like.
Never hunted Africa.
Took a very nice public land bull this year in Colorado.

I’m on a mission to eat all gods creatures… primates and cetaceans excepted. And even then, I’d eat a lemur.

What is the appeal or attraction to killing a giraffe? Genuinely curious what the draw is.
For me it's that I'm taking something in order to give much more back and I would as well like to eat one of just about every species on the planet. I'm a little ambivalent about cetaceans but primates, felids and canids are right out of any future plans. The only reason there's any large mammals left anywhere in sub-saharan Africa is trophy hunting. Period. Whatever I'm hunting there the net effect is my cash contribution given in exchange for the privilege goes to making sure there are going to be some of that self-same species around to observe next year. If people didn't pay to hunt then the entirety of the large mammal fauna of sub-saharan Africa would be entirely eradicated within two years, likely a lot faster than that. Most of my hunting there fills mine and my friends freezers but some of it is just because I want a cool looking trophy (though Giraffe in particular is supposed to be quite the delicacy). Hunting there is nothing like it is in the rest of the world. For the most part you're on private land and there's no major mystery about whether or not there are examples of a given species around or if you'll be able to find them in the next couple days. There's a slight resemblance to going to a vast cattle ranch to hunt a particular pre-selected steer with a lot of the hunting there. That said, some of it is real catch as catch can with hard stalks and tough hunts. Most people that can pay the entry fee can't take a real hard hunt so some accommodations are normally made which gives it a character that many Americans just don't go for. What happens when I in particular shoot a giraffe will be, I'll take a couple really nice pieces of meat from it for me and friends, the laborers of the area will get a good portion for themselves for free and that'll be the most meat they've had in a while and the rest if any is left is liable to be sold to a local butchery where it will likely enter the local food supply. I get a killer skin and skull and neck bones and some pictures and a memory. The rest of the world is assured that the guy that owns the land and thus the giraffe will see some value in making sure there's a giraffe there next year and he will take steps to make sure that there is one.

Has anyone had empty case ejection problems with short cases in the SRS? I have one in 6.5 PRC that does not reliably eject the case out of the action. It works better when run hard, but not 100%. It seems like the shorter PRC case and perhaps magnum diameter, that the ejector spring is mostly extended when the case mouth leaves the barrel extension and does not have enough travel or force left to fully eject. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone had empty case ejection problems with short cases in the SRS? I have one in 6.5 PRC that does not reliably eject the case out of the action. It works better when run hard, but not 100%. It seems like the shorter PRC case and perhaps magnum diameter, that the ejector spring is mostly extended when the case mouth leaves the barrel extension and does not have enough travel or force left to fully eject. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
honestly, run the bolt like a man!

maybe new springs?

Reactions: Dragoon300
It’s meant to be ran hard

I have lazy ejection with the standard bolt face sometimes but 300wm has always ejected fine as long as the springs are good.

Been playing with MyCaseBuilder.com's case foam designer. I still have all kinds of verification measurements to do but I think I managed to get one set up to hold up to 4 barrels (3 + 1 in the rifle) plus 4 bolts and all kinds of goodies. This would be meant for those days when I'm going to the boonies to have fun and just need to keep things organized with a little padding, not for anything like air travel where you'd want lots more padding between things. For air travel I think I'd pare it down to 2 barrels (1 + 1 in the rifle) and the assorted kit to go with them.

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 10.16.04 AM.png

Last edited:
Been playing with MyCaseBuilder.com's case foam designer. I still have to do all kinds of verification measurements to do but I think I managed to get one set up to hold up to 4 barrels (3 + 1 in the rifle) plus 4 bolts and all kinds of goodies. This would be meant for those days when I'm going to the boonies to have fun and just need to keep things organized with a little padding, not for anything like air travel where you'd want lots more padding between things. For air travel I think I'd pare it down to 2 barrels (1 + 1 in the rifle) and the assorted kit to go with them.

View attachment 7802985
Looks nice... guess I should travel more with my DT....

Been playing with MyCaseBuilder.com's case foam designer. I still have all kinds of verification measurements to do but I think I managed to get one set up to hold up to 4 barrels (3 + 1 in the rifle) plus 4 bolts and all kinds of goodies. This would be meant for those days when I'm going to the boonies to have fun and just need to keep things organized with a little padding, not for anything like air travel where you'd want lots more padding between things. For air travel I think I'd pare it down to 2 barrels (1 + 1 in the rifle) and the assorted kit to go with them.

View attachment 7802985
Im pretty happy with my case club model. Gota say with two barrels its pretty hefty. 4 barrels and all that other kit loaded in there you may need a forklift or at least a case with wheels.

@Dragoon300 are you running it with the bolt plug thing in?
Yes, I have a plug to limit the bolt rear travel. That definitely does help. I never have problems with the 300WM or 338LM, being longer they hold the ejector plungers in farther until the necks clear the barrel extension. I do not have 308 or 6.5CM barrels so I can't compare it to them. Thanks for your reply.

I have lazy ejection with the standard bolt face sometimes but 300wm has always ejected fine as long as the springs are good.
My 300WM and 338LM eject fine too, the 6.5 PRC is a great cartridge and is really shooting well for me, just doesn't eject reliably. Even when running it hard, which is not 100% reliable. Thanks for your reply.

Is anyone running 6.5 PRC on their SRS, I would like to hear your experiences?

Hi,
I have the ability to potentially have the Desert tech SRS-A2 forearms made. I could have them made in carbon fiber for extra weight savings. I also could have them made 2-4” longer to keep that same profile the srs has with a 22” barrel. And for just simply a longer forarm for various reasons. How many people would be interested? I will look to keep the price the same as an OEM DT one maybe even cheaper if I can. But I can only do it if I have enough interest in it. I would need to move a few hundred of each.
What are some thoughts on that?

Hi,
I have the ability to potentially have the Desert tech SRS-A2 forearms made. I could have them made in carbon fiber for extra weight savings. I also could have them made 2-4” longer to keep that same profile the srs has with a 22” barrel. And for just simply a longer forarm for various reasons. How many people would be interested? I will look to keep the price the same as an OEM DT one maybe even cheaper if I can. But I can only do it if I have enough interest in it. I would need to move a few hundred of each.
I would be up for one of these.

Hi,
I am interested, count me in!

Welp, I finally finished the measurement verifications on my case foam and ordered the finished product. I made some slight tweaks. Added spots for some ammo boxes, tweaked the layout a little, removed 1 short magazine slot and put a pad between the scope cutout and the CNVD cutout and tinkered with stuff to keep it off the edges. It'll take an M2 or SRS with barrel and bolt and up to 4 additional barrel/bolt pairs and a total of 15 mags and up to 60 rounds of 338LM. It'll also hold the soft case in the lid in place of the top foam.

We'll see how it all works out around the end of the month when it gets delivered.

Hi,
Interested depending on length and weight.

Welp, I finally finished the measurement verifications on my case foam and ordered the finished product. I made some slight tweaks. Added spots for some ammo boxes, tweaked the layout a little, removed 1 short magazine slot and put a pad between the scope cutout and the CNVD cutout and tinkered with stuff to keep it off the edges. It'll take an M2 or SRS with barrel and bolt and up to 4 additional barrel/bolt pairs and a total of 15 mags and up to 60 rounds of 338LM. It'll also hold the soft case in the lid in place of the top foam.

We'll see how it all works out around the end of the month when it gets delivered.
Kudos!

That’s pretty solid packing density.
I always felt my case club case got a bit dense, but that’s with bipod on, Bushnell LRF, Kestrel, supressor, 4 mags, and both 6.5 and 338.

A few hundred? TS Customs couldn't even pre sell 50 aluminum pic rails.
Sounds sweet though.
I have no idea the demand for them. That is why I posted. If I got enough interest I could do it. If not, oh well. Lol

@Jrtex I would definitely be in for another fore end option. I'd try whatever but I think I'd like something between the Covert and the Standard length. Carbon Fiber would be sweet.

Kudos!

That’s pretty solid packing density.
I always felt my case club case got a bit dense, but that’s with bipod on, Bushnell LRF, Kestrel, supressor, 4 mags, and both 6.5 and 338.
Thanks much! Yeah, this is extremely dense. It's no good for rough handling but it'll make the trips to BLM land for a day of clanging steel a little neater. I only have to drag 1 70lbs case out to the car. The price was kind of high at $260. The barrel slots are set up to hold 1 shortish barrel and 3 long ones stacked on top of each other. Turned out really nifty. If anyone else wants the design, LMK.
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 6.39.12 AM.png

How are the triggers on these, say on a sliding scale, from TT Diamond/Jewell BR/Bix 'n Andy at the top, to Timney and Tikka in the middle, to Std Rem 700 on the lower end of decent single stage centerfire, to the mush of a Daisy Red Rider on the lowest end :unsure:

The ability to have a 32+" barrel without the overall length is definitely appealing, but I shoot comparatively poorly without the better triggers.