• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

About to take the plunge and rattle can my SRS. Thinking the weird color of my vortex RG2 is swaying me. Before I jump in, anyone have any issues painting their SRS?

Been a LONG time since I've been on the boards. If the SRS turns out alright, will probably paint my MDRx as well.
I painted mine and I love it.

Attachments

• 20220416_085654.jpg
    20220416_085654.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 125
just a fyi that maybe you guys all knew about but i didnt, mk machining has a thumb shelf for the srs grip in case anybody likes to float thier thumb when shooting

Reactions: kgall005
Arrived today but no pictures yet. Need to get it dolled up first. For those that have the 223 conversion, what is your muzzle OD? I thought I ordered their “super light” contour but the one I got seems pretty thick. Nothing necessarily wrong with it. Just curious

I have 12” and 14” carbon fiber handgaurds ready for production. I am going to do a run of 100 of them if I get enough interest. I want to try to get some pre orders. Who would be interested?
$450 each.

Or would you be interested in a 14” wich would be +2” over the standard long handgaurd. Giving a 24” barrel configuration the same look as a 22”

They are T700 carbon fiber, they weigh 3.5 Oz wich is less than half the weight of the aluminum ones.

Please DM with the title: “interested in 12inch”
Or “interested in 14” so I can get a Talley.

Reactions: PowPowHawg and M77
@Jrtex I’m in for one (maybe two). You mentioned increasing the inside diameter of the hand guard to accommodate a suppressor fitting inside. Does that raise the hand guard on the top end? Or lower it on the bottom? A little of both? I’m in for one regardless but if we are using a Sawtooth Arca rail will it no longer work? If we have a rail mounted CNVD, will it be raised up higher necessitating a higher scope mount for proper alignment?

Edit: forgot to read. Will DM

Last edited:
@Jrtex I’m in for one (maybe two). You mentioned increasing the inside diameter of the hand guard to accommodate a suppressor fitting inside. Does that raise the hand guard on the top end? Or lower it on the bottom? A little of both? I’m in for one regardless but if we are using a Sawtooth Arca rail will it no longer work? If we have a rail mounted CNVD, will it be raised up higher necessitating a higher scope mount for proper alignment?

Edit: forgot to read. Will DM
for the larger diameter rail there will certainly need to be a taller scope mount as it will be raising the height of the top and bottom rail for sure.
If i move enough of the 12" or 14" ones i will make the wider one.

Looking for an A2 chassis, can be covert or full length. Would consider buying with a barrel, bolt and mag depending on caliber (308 bolt face only). Would prefer for something close to the Colorado Springs/ Denver area to avoid shipping but would consider driving a bit to meet at an FFL dealer.
Have some 6.5 Creedmoor I could add into the deal
- 73 147gr Hornady match with the 7 spent pieces of brass
- 20 143gr Hornady ELD-X
- 197 144gr Sako Range FMJ with the 3 spent pieces of brass
Looking for an A2 Chassis if anyone is considering selling theirs

Arrived today but no pictures yet. Need to get it dolled up first. For those that have the 223 conversion, what is your muzzle OD? I thought I ordered their “super light” contour but the one I got seems pretty thick. Nothing necessarily wrong with it. Just curious
Curious to see a picture. I was looking to buy a SAC 223 kit and I hadn’t put any thought into a contour. Not necessarily needing a very heavy contour

Had a bit of a delay in getting it set up. Will post pictures soon. It’s a lighter contour than my other SAC DT barrels but not by much. Still hefty by 223 standards IMO

I'm in the middle of a move so I don't have the barrels to weigh against one another but I'm curious if my 24 fluted "superlite" contour 223 is heavier than my proof 22.5 6mm. I'll just have to be patient and wait and see

My .223 barrel at 22.5" is about the same weight as my 338LM barrel at 26" using my Mk.1 hand as a scale. It's a beefy barrel and still has a taper to it. I won't carry it around much other than at matches so the weight doesn't bother me.
What contour do you have?

I can't remember exactly what they called it. I can't find my email with the details. I remember they had two contours available. One was standard and one was lighter. I asked for the lighter one. I think they called it "superlite" or "ultralight" or something like that.

Reactions: bmicek
Has/does anyone use their rifle with a dedicated thermal optic? (Not a clip on). I recently picked up a Bering Super Yoter for Varmint hunting and I’m having an internal debate on whether I want a dedicated rifle separate for the thermal, or pick up a SAC 223 conversion and roll with that.

i use a dedicated 22 creedmoor with super yoter r
I have an action/chassis/trigger I planned to make a dedicated thermal setup on but I thought hard on going all in on the SRS platform. Maybe a dedicated rifle is still the right way to go.

You may have misunderstood me, i meant a have a dedicated srs 22 creedmoor for thermal, i also have another chassis with a regular scope that i sometimes us a lwts with, in all honesty, for me its way more comfortable to use the lwts because you get normal eye relief when using the lwts as a clip on, all the stand alone thermals i have used suck in that category.

Reactions: bmicek
I am looking for an SRS monopod, if anyone has an extra please contact me.

I may have one for you. I have an M2 inbound, so the Gen 1 will be a full time Covert and will no longer need the long rail.

I haven’t been on here in a bit , but have a early covert rail you could have but looks like you need the full lengh.

Not bad numbers for factory AMAX.. Question, both my HTI 50 BMG mags had the same issue with the deepest 5th round wedging or getting stuck in the mag. Has anyone else had this issue? And if so does it wear in or do I need to send the mags back to DT? It was easily solved with a little tapping on my hand, for a magazine that cost just under $255.00 I wouldn't think I should have that issue..

Thanks

download (12).jpg
download (13).jpg

download (15).jpg

Reactions: 232593
My OCD is screaming "you're using the shooting mat the wrong way!"

Last edited:
I feel that too. I have an M2 chassis in jail after a many months long wait. Just got one of the bolts, but still waiting on a handful of custom barrels, some over a year. Yeah, I pre-ordered barrels knowing they would take a while, but even then. Good thing I still have my trusty Gen 1 handy.

I feel that too. I have an M2 chassis in jail after a many months long wait. Just got one of the bolts, but still waiting on a handful of custom barrels, some over a year. Yeah, I pre-ordered barrels knowing they would take a while, but even then. Good thing I still have my trusty Gen 1 handy.
I have just joined the Desert Tech club..
Had AI,s , Sako TRG,s , Unigue Alpine, and many custom's....always wanted to try an SRS.

Here in Aus Desert Tech are VERY scarce...so i picked up a used SRS Gen 1 22" 308 , just fitted a ZCO 5-27 ( amazing optic,s !!)

Very happy with the rifle so far ...just need to fine tune a load using the Lapua Scenar 155,s to which i have several thousand of !!

@Dogtown ...how is your Gen 1 still performing?

Attachments

• SRS-1.jpg
    SRS-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • SRS2.jpg
    SRS2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • SRS3.jpg
    SRS3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • SRS4.jpg
    SRS4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Mine is from the first batch back in late 2008 or early 2009. It quickly replaced all of my bolt guns at the time, from a Robar SR90 .308WIN to an EDM Windrunner .408CT. I brought it with me to NZ for about five years and shot it in a number of matches and even hunted a few times. It's a fantastic rifle and over the years I've had many, many barrels for it. In NZ, Scott over at SSRNZ spun up a number of Trueflite barrels for me. When the Covert was released I changed the handguard and until recently that's all I used.

With the M2 inbound, that's going to be my dedicated long barrel rifle and the Gen 1 will be for the shorter barrels. It's really so handy shooting 20" barrels with the Covert setup, but the long handguard is so much more stable for those 36" barrels and it allows me to use an overbore bipod and Charlie TARAC. There's just no room for either on the Covert.

1652214722215.png

26" 6.5x47L with SSRNZ suppressor

1652214766846.png

from 2015: 20" 6.5x47L in rifle, 36" .338LM Improved 40, 26" 6.5x47L, 18" .338LM, 18" .510Whisper, 16" .308WIN

1652214825853.png

More recently with long handguard, overbore bipod and 28" .300NM

Your DT's look great!
Thought I would share mine, I've done a lot of things to make it work for me. Right now I'm running 6.5 PRC out of a 31" Bartlien LH gain twist.
I made a coaxial mounted bipod out of an M60E3 light weight bipod that has worked very well. Also a detachable, adjustable bag rider to use in F Class that is very stable. I bought mine around 2014, it's an A1, I've got several barrels for it, another 31" Bartlien LH gain twist in 338LM, and a Lilja 30" 223 WSSM. These cover varmints to big game, at least anything in North America. I saw one the MK thumb rest in a post above the other day and got one to try out this summer. I really like these guns, but customer service, not so much.
20211010_124308.jpg
20211010_124257.jpg
20210815_143754 (2).jpg
20210606_162340.jpg

Your DT's look great!
Thought I would share mine, I've done a lot of things to make it work for me. Right now I'm running 6.5 PRC out of a 31" Bartlien LH gain twist.
I made a coaxial mounted bipod out of an M60E3 light weight bipod that has worked very well. Also a detachable, adjustable bag rider to use in F Class that is very stable. I bought mine around 2014, it's an A1, I've got several barrels for it, another 31" Bartlien LH gain twist in 338LM, and a Lilja 30" 223 WSSM. These cover varmints to big game, at least anything in North America. I saw one the MK thumb rest in a post above the other day and got one to try out this summer. I really like these guns, but customer service, not so much.View attachment 7867188View attachment 7867189View attachment 7867190View attachment 7867191
Where did you get your LH GT barrels from? Right from bartline

Where did you get your LH GT barrels from? Right from bartline
I ordered them from Bartlien, and chambered and threaded them myself. Just spec out the amount of gain, or transition as they call it that you want. My 6.5 is: 1:8.5 to 1:7.5
and my 338 is: 1:10.35 to 1:9.35

Is anyone using the factory 22" 308 barrel with the SRS

If so. what was/is your most accurate load combo?

I have several thousand Lapua Scenar 155,s ...........which combined with 45.0gr AR2208 ( Varget) produce literally one whole groups at 100mtrs with a Unique Alpine TPG-1 ....but so far the SRS doesn't seem to like that load at all!

Same with the 155 Sierra,s the SRS does not seem to like them , but again shot fantastic in the UA TPG-1..

I have some Beger 169 VLD,s that i am trying next...here in Aus we are limited to ADI powders ...though I do still have a substantial supply of RL 15 as well as the 2208.

Attachments

• DSC_0099w.jpg
    DSC_0099w.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0101w.jpg
    DSC_0101w.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0107w.jpg
    DSC_0107w.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 61