• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

You might also get ahold of Jon Beanland (beanland on here). He's a great gunsmith and really good guy. I think he is going to start doing barrels for the DTA.

To change direction a bit, does have the specs handy on the magazines? I will be taking delivery on an SRS next week and am trying to procure accessories.

Congratulations HHC USASOC Team. They placed first in the USASOC sniper Comp at Ft. Bragg this weekend. One chose the Desert Tactical Arms Covert .308 Win from the Prize Table.

Congratulations 3rd Battalion Ranger Team. They placed Second. One chose the other Desert Tactical Arms Covert .308 Win from the Prize Table.

It was our pleasure to have DT Coverts in .308 Win. available on the prize table.

Congratulations gentlemen. Thank you for your service to our country

Photo's of USASOC Sniper Competition

<span style="font-weight: bold">"A Covert Affair"</span>
A Novel by gstaylorg

In looking for a new rifle in .308 Winchester, there were several important factors I considered. Primarily, I wanted a bolt-operated weapon system that was small, relatively lightweight and easy to maneuver, and capable of accurate fire to at least 800 yd. Secondary considerations included an ability to handle heavier subsonic loads, ease of future modifications such as caliber exchange, and the ability to attach a suppressor. After considerable thought, the Desert Tactical Arms SRS Covert was the system I chose.

This weapons system represented many "firsts" for me; my first .308, my first bolt gun, my first bullpup rifle, etc. The barrel offered for the Covert system by DTA is a 16", 1 in 8" twist. Data previously posted on the Sniper's Hide forum by Fredo indicated this barrel was capable of remarkable muzzle velocities with factory loads considering its relatively short length. However, to be certain I would have a weapon that could reliably reach 800 yd, I also chose to order the 22", 1 in 11" twist barrel that is standard on the full-sized DTA SRS. Because I live in an urban area, after a great deal of deliberation, I finally decided to go with the "Urban Camo" color option (black). The complete description of this weapon system as tested is listed below:

<span style="font-weight: bold">DTA SRS Covert with 16", 1 in 8" twist barrel, muzzle brake
22", 1 in 11" barrel, muzzle brake
DTA rear monopod
Atlas V8 QD bipod
Nightforce 5.5-22x50, mil/mil, Zero Stop optic, LaRue LT-158 mount with 10 MOA cant</span>

Although many members of the Sniper's Hide forum have suggested that a barrel break-in procedure is unnecessary with most of today's barrels, I was unable to completely overcome my anal nature, and therefore carried out an abbreviated break-in procedure at an indoor range for each barrel. This procedure consisted of 3 single shots, followed by two groups of 3 shots (10 rounds total per barrel). At each step, the barrels were treated sequentially with Cu2+ remover, Hoppe's #9, Kroil, and Hoppe's Elite gun oil.

My initial impressions of the Covert were highly positive. This is a VERY solid weapon, but well-balanced and easy to handle. The overall length of the Covert chassis with the 16" barrel/muzzle brake was 29.7" and it weighed in fully loaded with bipod, optic, and 5 rounds + magazine at just under 14.5 lb. The Covert with the 22" barrel had an OAL of 35.5" and weighed in at 15.5 lb fully loaded. The ergonomics of this weapon system are very comfortable and well-thought out, particularly the pistol grip, trigger, and safety arrangement. This being my first bolt gun, I had no prior habits from other non-bullpup designs that created the need for any major "adjustments" in my shooting style in order to get comfortable behind the Covert. All-in-all, it was very comfortable weapon to shoot. I can imagine that an individual long-accustomed to a non-bullpup bolt gun might require a little more time to get a feel for the Covert, but it is so intuitive that I can't imagine such an adjustment would take much time or effort.

I should also point out that the trigger on the Covert was a real pleasure after years of shooting Sig 556s, which not only have a very long travel, but are also quite stiff (~7-8 lb pull). I did not test the pull on the Covert because I'm waiting on a Lyman pull gauge, and so left it at the factory setting. The trigger is very crisp with essentially no play, and is also a much lighter pull than my Sigs. As a first impression, if I had to say there was anything about the Covert that could be improved, it would be the magazines. Initially, I found them a little difficult to load, and they had some fairly sharp edges. However, I should also note that my opinion was much improved after running rounds through them for two days, whereupon they became quite easy to work with.

The other item worth mention is the volume level, particularly with the 16" barrel. No two ways about it, this thing is LOUD. I got in the habit of wearing double ear protection from shooting a Sig 556 pistol, which has a 10" barrel and is pretty loud. The Covert with its 16" barrel is definitely louder than the 556 pistol, so make sure you're wearing sufficient hearing protection if you're running one without a can like I am.

The images shown in Figure 1 are of the Covert with the 22" barrel, and include close-ups of the monopod, which I like every bit as much as my Accu-shots.

Fig1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Figure 1. DTA SRS Covert with 22" 11-twist barrel; rear monpod retracted/extended</span>

To better illustrate how compact the Covert really is, the Covert chassis with the 16" barrel is shown below a Sig 556 pistol with a 10.5" barrel (Fig. 2, left panel). The Covert chassis with the 22" barrel is shown next to a Sig 556 SWAT carbine with a 16" barrel (Fig. 2, right panel). With an overall length of just under 30" (as shown ) and weighing in at less than 15 lb fully loaded, I find it remarkable just how compact and maneuverable the Covert actually is. In fact it feels noticeably less "front heavy" than my Sig 556 SWATs, even though it's a little over 4 lb. heavier. Again, due to the well-designed ergonomics of this platform.

Fig2.jpg

Figure 2. Overall size of the Covert chassis with 16" and 22" barrels</span>
Day 1: At the range with the Covert</span>
After receiving the Covert, the weather forecast indicated two days of reasonable weather (for Omaha in December, anyway), followed by a drop to sub-zero temperatures and near-blizzard conditions. I therefore put the most important priorities first and took two days off work to put the Covert through it paces. I can tell you that it was pretty painful taking two days off work just to spend time behind a new weapon at the range, but sometimes you do what you have to do. My primary goals were to determine muzzle velocity and accuracy at 100 yd for several different factory loads, then to get dialed in at longer distances on day 2. The following pics of the Covert and ammo are from day 1 at the range (Figure 3):

Fig3.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Figure 3. First day at the range with the Covert.</span>

About 20 rounds into day 1, I did this:

Fig4.jpg

Figure 4. When a .308 round unexpectedly meets Chrony diffuser support wires.</span>

I can't tell you how many times I've told other people, "Don't shoot the Chrony!". Fortunately, it was only the support wires for the diffuser panels. In any event, I decided to use the remainder of day 1 just to get comfortable behind the weapon and put a few rounds downrange, planning to get a lot more accomplished on day 2 (after repairing the Chrony, obviously).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Day 2: 600 yd range at Eastern Nebraska Gun Club</span>

Weather conditions: Temp. = 45°F, Air press. = 29.97 (S), hum. = 88%, elevation = 1060 ft., wind = ~15 mph from 6:00, with gusts to 25 mph.

Fig5.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Figure 5. ENGC 600 yd range.</span>

The following ammunition was tested through each barrel to determine muzzle velocity (and accuracy at 100 yd) using a Chrony Beta set at 10' from the muzzle:

1) CorBon 155 gr Scenar; factory test MV = <span style="font-weight: bold">2900 fps</span>
2) Black Hills 168 gr Match BTHP; factory test MV = <span style="font-weight: bold">2650 fps</span>
3) Federal GMM 168 gr SMK; factory test MV = <span style="font-weight: bold">2650 fps</span>
4) Black Hills 175 gr Match BTHP; factory test MV = <span style="font-weight: bold">2600 fps</span>
5) Federal GMM 175 gr SMK; factory test MV = <span style="font-weight: bold">2600 fps</span>

After 3-5 rounds to sight in, 4 x 5 round groups were used to determine accuracy and to determine muzzle velocity via two separate 10-shot strings.

TableI-2.jpg

The respective muzzle velocities measured for these ammo's from the 16", 8-twist and 22", 11-twist barrels are shown in Table I and Table II. Notably, the average decrease in muzzle velocity in the 16" barrel compared to the 22" barrel ranged from approximately 50 to 100 fps, depending on the ammo. Fredo recently posted similar values for other factory loads (See Sniper's Hide Official DTA SRS, Covert, Hunter thread; p13, at the following link:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1597047&page=1), which suggests that these numbers are not an anomaly. My overall feeling is that getting muzzle velocities of 2500 fps (or slightly better) out of a 16" barrel at 45 degrees F is phenomenal...possibly bordering on...can I say it...MAGIC. In any event, a 175 gr SMK at 2500 fps translates (via JBM Ballistics) into remaining supersonic slightly past 1000 yd, with a drop at that distance of 12.3 mil. Pretty impressive results for such a compact system and a 16" barrel.

TableII-2.jpg

During the course of day 2, I also determined accuracies for these loads at 100 yd. Although I have no intention of wasting future time and effort punching holes in paper at 100 yd with this weapon system, it was convenient to kill two birds with one stone and generate both muzzle velocity and accuracy data at the same time. I should also note that the conditions on day 2 were not exactly optimal. Because I was shooting off a bench to use the Chrony, I found it very challenging to stay on target with varying/intermittent wind gusts from behind at 15-25 mph. This particular range has a slight downhill cant, so I don't think the wind had as much (if any) effect on the rounds after leaving the barrel as it did on me while trying to maintain proper hold. Having said that, I'm not too disappointed with the short range accuracy for my first couple of times behind the new Covert.

TableIII-1.jpg

TableIV-1.jpg

In Figure 6 (below) images of the best overall 4 x 5 shot groups for the two barrels are shown (BH 175 gr for the 16" barrel, BH 168 gr for the 22" barrel). Shown beneath each complete target image is the best single group from that target with the digital caliper measurement, and the three shot test target for that barrel from DTA.

The DTA three shot test target groups measured 0.40" and 0.38" for the 16" and 22" barrels, respectively. My best two single groups were obtained with the 22" barrel using Black Hills and Federal 168 gr loads (0.52" and 0.51", respectively). The best group I was able to obtain with the 16" barrel was 0.50" (Federal 175 gr) and just under 0.70" with Federal 168 gr and Black Hills 175 gr, respectively. Given the amount of buffeting that was taking place as I shot these groups, I am pretty comfortable stating that I believe I will be able to shoot close to 1/2" groups at 100 yds with either of these barrels from the prone position. At 600 and beyond? That's a whole different ballgame and only time and practice will tell.

Fig6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Figure 6. Selected targets from Day 2 at the range.</span>

Ultimately, my goal is to become more proficient with this weapon at ranges significantly greater than 100 yd, and to do something more interesting than put a few holes in paper. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get a little further in testing the Covert so that I could include some data out to 600 yd. However, if Old Man Winter loosens his icy grip on the Midwest any time soon, that is next on the list and I will post the results when they are available. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the Covert; I think I made a very good choice. This is a very accurate, compact, and user-friendly weapon system, and I think it will do everything I had hoped when I ordered it.

gstaylorg,
Excellent write-up and very well documented, we too were surprised at the velocity retention that we are able to get with both the 22" and 16" barrels why anyone would run a 26" 308 barrel is beyond me, I had a guy shoot my Oehler chrony once luckily it wasn't the main sensors so I know how annoying it can be.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I had a lot of fun with it and I appreciate the comments.

SR90 - You have produced a fantastic weapon system...worth every penny IMO and a real pleasure to get behind. As you noted, the 16" barrel is simply amazing. When I started seeing the MV numbers, I began to wonder if there weren't some little elves inside the barrel helping to push those rounds out even faster. I've seen so many threads here and elsewhere debating the wisdom of 18-20" .308 barrels. After shooting the Covert, why stop at 18" if 16" will give MVs like that and accuracy to boot? Thanks for bringing the whole concept to the marketplace!

Fredo - feel free to do whatever you wish with the writeup, my primary intent was to share it with anyone that might have an interest. PM me if you'd rather have a Word or PDF version to post, I have both.

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

I will try to follow the outline when I do other write ups.

Hi well done with your writeup. you are actualy shooting better than you think in MOA.

You are thinking in Inch per hundred yards not MOA. MOA is 1.104" at 100 yards so all of the colums devide by 1.104 to get MOA. so your first average group that was 1" is actualy .906MOA things like this will make a difference when the ranges get longer especialy if you start to wind inches per hondred yards to move your impact.

Great job at explaining your experiences with yout new rifle.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm aware that 1 MOA subtends an arc of 1.0472" at 100 yd. This was actually taken into account in the MOA values listed in Tables III and IV. The reason that may not be apparent is due to the fact that I rounded the MOA numbers to one less decimal point. Although my calipers accurately distances to 3 decimal points, I only reported the spread measurements to 2 decimal places. Providing group spread values to 3 decimal places when measuring ragged holes in paper is really not too meaningful. I would even go so far as to say that two decimal places is probably not significant for this purpose, although that is what I reported. From the average of the 4 group spreads +/- SD, I then determined the accuracy in MOA (division by 1.0472), and rounded to the closest 0.1 MOA. For my purposes, that's more than close enough. Honestly, from the way I was getting moved around from the wind on my back while shooting these groups, I'm just happy they weren't all 5 MOA or higher (LOL).

FWIW, I've seen many threads where people have reported/argued the difference between 0.32" groups and 0.27" groups, for example. I'm personally not so interested in getting into that kind of debate or going to that level of scrutiny regarding group sizes. If I can put 5 x .308 rounds in approximately a 1/2" circle at 100 yds, then I have a pretty good idea of what that will mean at longer ranges. It doesn't concern me too much if it's 0.4" or 0.6", either one is approximately equal to (or even less than) two projectile diameters. For me, the more important question is whether can I reliably keep 5 rounds inside a 6" at 600 yd, or a 10" circle at 1000 yd, for example. That means something statistically significant with regard to my ability to reliably hit a given sized target at a certain distance on the first shot.

So even though I reported the group spreads to two decimal places, I personally don't place that much stock in trying micro-dissect group spreads to that degree. Anyhow, thanks again for your comments/observations.

Hey, it's already hard enough for me to add anything new or useful when you keep posting all this incredibly cool new data every week! Just try to leave me some scraps, will ya? (LOL)

hey any of you guys know more about the srs action and srs bolt just looking more info about it??
thanks..

Three people posting on this thread work for them, what do you want to know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonathan S10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey any of you guys know more about the srs action and srs bolt just looking more info about it??
thanks.. </div></div>

Besides the 3 Fredo mentioned there are a number of owners/shooters here too....since the thread is for these rifles. Ask away and someone will have an answer.....maybe even a good one.

Frank

how"s the srs action compared to the surgeon actions or custom made actions ?
what are the srs bolt features, are they similar or different to the custom made ones?
what kind of extractors, ejectors, lugs ??
are they reliable in sandy conditions and what are their weaknesses if they have any?

you know things that you would look in a good action and bolt!! i mean i dont have any experience with this rifle at all ..
thanks..

Here are some close up pictures that should explain how it works, for the most part. Once you get the skins off, its quite apparent that some people with LARGE SIZED brains worked on this design for a while.

Here is the chassis without skins.
IMG_4867.JPG

Here's the fire control area.
IMG_4868.JPG

The safety selector is just a little clam-shell type piece that slides right off the front. There is a detent pushed into the trigger housing underneath it to provide a "click" when moved.
IMG_4869.JPG

You can see the trigger is attached to a transfer bar.
IMG_4874.JPG

Here you can see the transfer bar engaging with another bar.
IMG_4872.JPG

When the trigger is pulled, the transfer bar slides forward, allowing the other bar (whatever its called) to drop. Which then releases the striker in the bolt... hitting the firing pin.
IMG_4873.JPG

From what I gather, this is the engagement surface that releases the striker in the bolt.
IMG_4880.JPG

Here's the bolt in its entirety. It has a sliding sleeve on the rear portion, a blade style extractor and dual ejectors. As you can see, the bolt is an interrupted thread design.
IMG_4881.JPG

... and of course the rifle. Thing of beauty. I've got 338LM and 308win conversions for it.
IMG_4882.JPG

In regard to how it compares to a surgeon action: It doesn't. It's a completely different design. The sliding sleeve on the bolt gives it a bit of a "jerky" feel at times, but it is smoothing out the more I run it. I have a surgeon 591 and it is amazing in how it feels when the bolt is thrown. When I'm behind the DTA, firing, it is a completely different feeling than running a standard action of any kind. The bolt and ergo's are totally different, and the bolt throw isn't like anything else I've run. Not that it's "bad" per say, its just different.

As a whole, I'm very happy with the rifle to this point. Bobby at Freedom Gunworks was instrumental in my purchase of this rifle. Hopefully DTA understands what a valuable asset he is.

thanks man, i appreciate the pictures and the info....

They are nice, for the compact design. After having the skins off and seeing what goes into making one, I'm convinced that the recent jump in price was not out of necessity.

I have a hard time recommending people buy them due to the fact they can get a FULL CUSTOM rifle of any choice from anyone they want with an action of their choice for less money than this rifle. At the old price, where you could pick one up for $4200 or so, they were very competitive. Now, you need $5300 when you grab their scope mount too.

Now don't get me wrong, its a nice rifle, and the feature's of this rifle are available in no other package that I'm aware of. However, the price should have stayed more reasonable. I know for a fact they would sell more rifles, in turn more people would know about the rifle, and in turn they would sell MORE. At their current price point, only the hardcore shooters will get one.

By the time I put optics and a bipod on my DTA, I had spent $8500. I don't have regret, not yet anyway. It remains to be seen if this system can stand the test of time.

I could see them wanting $3000 for the chassis. Its a fine piece of work. However, the conversions are out of this world. Barrel, barrel extension, bolt, and magazine... and that adds up to $1800+?????? I just don't see it.

I will say this... I don't have any doubts that DTA will be around for a long time. When you are making the kind of money they make off each one of these... you are going to have some staying power. Then again, if they aren't careful... nobody will be able to afford to buy one.

... or maybe I'm just a frugal bastard.
smile.gif

My biggest complaints were:

I thought the barrel extensions were overpriced 500 bucks.
And the mags are not worth the price they charge.

Past that I'll probably pick up a covert to replace the full size I just sold down the line.

You're right - they're not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. But think of it this way: when it's all said and done, I'll probably have the two .308 barrels, and one (or both) in .243 and .300 WM or .338 LM. Those extra barrels/conversion kits take up minimal space in my safe. If you figure what it would cost to have a fully equipped (separate) rifle in each of those calibers, the price isn't so high any more. In addition, given the small size of the Covert, I can tote the rifle and several barrels to the range in one bag. Can't do that with separate weapons/scopes/bipods, etc., unless it's a REALLY big bag. So, like everything else, there are trade-offs and one has to decide what is ultimately the best for them. I'm pretty happy with the Covert system so far.

Prices are what they are and while I'd like to be able to buy a covert to go with my SRS I can't really justify it. On the other hand I can see things from the manufacturers end too. Its not just the cost of the material and time for the rifle that they need to recover. They spent untold amounts of time and money on development, tooling and wastage along with all the licensing and taxes they have to pay just to be in the business. We as consumers don't see all that cost in our rifle but its there. We haven't even hit on basic overhead like the building costs and snow removal from the parking lot etc....
I'm not happy about the cost but it is what it is.

As for the Jonathans questions. I don't have a surgeon to compare with and I'll probably never own one. I've had a few other precision rifles like a Steyr SSG69. There are a number of rifles out there that make putting a round in a particular spot much easier because we don't have to fight the inadequacies of the rifle just to do it. I believe the SRS or the Covert will do that too and the package is much smaller. That smaller package makes handling simpler. My SRS in .338 Lapua with a suppressor is still shorter than a Sako TRG42 in the same cal with no brake. Weights are similar so which one do you want to go wandering through the forest with? I'll pick shorty every time. Next is the versatility of being able to use the same scope, trigger and cheekweld with 4 or more choices of cartridge. As another poster noted its possible to store a barrel, bolt and mag in a much smaller space than a whole rifle. That means you can have the .243 antelope rifle, the .308 deer gun, the 300win mag elk rifle and the 338L moose rifle in about the same space as 2 rifles would normally take. The extra barrels, bolts and mags don't really need to go in the safe either if space is an issue.
Just like cars, homes and women, not one type will satisfy all. We each have to choose what suits us and the ability of the DT rifles to change with our needs makes them a good choice. . . for many of us.

Hope that helps
Frank

I love my DTA but I still keep a few precision bolt guns on hand as well. Different is a correct description,but the jewel like action and fine trigger are still what sets the "custom" apart from a DTA.

This is the group from our first Covert Demo sent out. Tomarrow it will be deploying in an PSD / EP course run by http://www.forceoptionsusa.com/. Long precision guns impead your mobility compared to the size of the Covert and SRS. These are the work guns of the future, the caliber conversion options will have an even more significant impact with the Covert. .338 LM 260 grain AP round from a bolt gun the size of an MP5...It's unheard of. Someone needs to make us "We Win" buttons. keke
laugh.gif

Freds308Covertgrp.jpg

My groups from today with my SRS... DTA is getting all googley-eyed over their Covert, but the SRS is still where its at for me!

74606_468602281746_541086746_6100416_1117256_n.jpg

163818_468601916746_541086746_6100403_4514935_n.jpg

68263_468600956746_541086746_6100354_6603690_n.jpg

I LOVE my SRS!! It makes even ME look like I can shoot!

i like the SRS as well... doesn't mean i won't play with a covert though

HTI with .50BMG Conversion with new DTA Brake. Got a couple photo's while shooting yesterday. More to come.
HTIActionShot1a.jpg

Yeah, I know the hood needs work.. lol
laugh.gif

Here is a video of the Mag and new Brake for the .50 BMG.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPqZ9dWYFYU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPqZ9dWYFYU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Hey Fredo,
When am I going to be able to get my hands on a covert 338 LM conversion kit?

I was told it was 4 weeks out from a dealer friend. Would like to get a report on how bad the muzzle flash is without a surpressor.

Quick question about the DTA muzzle brake. Is it supposed to time with the set screw facing up when the brake is screwed all the way down? Mine times with the screw facing to the left when the brake is screwed all the way down.

I was informed by DTA that you should screw the brake all the way, then back it off part of the last turn so that the Allen bolt head will be on the top left as your look into the muzzle before tightening it down, so as to get the timing correct. This will put the wider flat of the brake on the bottom and the ports level to either side (see pics).

muzzlebrakes.jpg

That's how I mounted mine and they seem to work well. I should add that I had already made sure the rail (chassis) was level, so I also leveled the (narrow) flat on top of the brake before (and re-checked after) tightening the Allen bolt. Maybe that wasn't necessary, but I had the level sitting there, so why not?

The previous post by Mute brought another question to my mind regarding the DTA muzzle brake. Can anyone tell me whether having the brake on has any significant effect(s) on the muzzle velocity, overall accuracy, or specific POI, as compared to no brake (thread protector only)? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HTI with .50BMG Conversion with new DTA Brake. Got a couple photo's while shooting yesterday. More to come.
HTIActionShot1a.jpg
</div></div>
When i look at your rifle i have only one thing to say:WHEN WILL YOU HAVE A DEALER IN FRANCE?

So in love with your rifles..

I will ask about the 16" .338 LM barrels, I'm out of the loop on timelines for those.

So just out of curiosity, have you shot yours much without the brake? Obviously, the best way for me to determine any possible effect of the brake is to test it myself using the chrony and so forth. Unfortunately, I have no idea how many even minimally decent shooting days I might get in before spring returns due to the conditions at my range following heavy snow. Early next week is looking good and I'd hate to waste the days comparing with and without the brake when I could be doing more important (and fun) things. So, just though I'd ask.

I just took delivery of the rifle 3 days ago. I probably won't have range time until after the holiday break. I'll document my results and let you know. Of course that won't be until after I zero the scope with the rifle.

Hello, I am the guy who bought Poison's SRS. After handling the weapon, I agree that the magazines seem to be the biggest disappointment. There seems to be a lot of play in the magazine well when fully seated. It seems to cycle just fine at the moment. I also would like to get different barrels for the weapon but it is going to have to wait a while due to me just purchasing a house
smile.gif
. I will either go 300 win mag or get a custom 7mm rem mag.

Has anyone attached the Surefire muzzle brake adaptor (QD)to their DTA SRS? I have the 308 and I was thinking about going that route. Also does the Surefire muzzle brake (QD) work for the 300 win mag as well? Thanks and any help will be appreciated.

Some load development

Worked up a ladder today since the weather finally broke.

Date: 1/2/2011
Time: 3pm
Rifle: Thor 338LM, 26" 1:10 DTA factory barrel
Elev: 0
Humidity: 91%
Temp: 21f
Pressure: 28.37
Light: bright/snow
Wind: 10mph 4 O'clock

Bullet: 300gr Scenar
Case: 1x fired lapua FL sized
Primer: CCI 250
Powder: Retumbo

10rnds loaded at 91gr. I fired 3 to get zeroed at 100yds, then 2 more to confirm zero. I then let the rifle cool, and fired a 5rnd group at 300yds. My first shot, I neglected to put elevation in the gun and it dropped a mil low. Oops.
smile.gif
The next four dropped in a little low and left.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Charge - Velocity</span>
<span style="color: #008000">91gr - 2678
92gr - 2680
93gr - 2739
94gr - 2767</span>
<span style="color: #0000FF">95gr - 2773 slight ejector wipe</span>
<span style="color: #FF8000">96gr - 2805 ejector wipe, slight primer flow into firing pin hole</span>
<span style="color: #FF0000">97gr - 2837 ejector wipe, primer flow into firing pin hole
98gr - 2865 pronounced ejector wipe, pronounced primer flow into firing pin hole</span>

I'm going to load up a few rounds at 94gr's and see how they behave.

With my current numbers at 94gr of retumbo and 100yd zero, I have enough elevation in my turret to get to 2060yds. That will increase to about 2100yds when the temp gets up to 70f+. So says Ballistic FTE anyway.
wink.gif
With the premier 5-25 and 40MOA DTA base, I've got 27 mils of available elevation in my turret. From dead bottom of the mechanical adjustment, I had to come up 5 mils to get zeroed at 100yds.

I can't wait to stretch it's legs a little bit... and I REALLY can't wait for my suppressor. This thing is LOUD. The YHM QD brake/suppressor adapter is actually a pretty effective brake. They offer two QD mounts. One is just the standard bird cage looking thing. The other is an actual brake. I opted for the brake, and I'm glad I did. It attenuates recoil quite well. I fired 18rnds total today off a bench and it was very manageable.

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG