• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I can make you a orange one or the same pattern if they make a fabric of it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Textile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can make you a orange one or the same pattern if they make a fabric of it? </div></div>

I'd have to catch and skin a Gila Monster for its hide.Hey,thats not a bad idea.LOL

If you could find a rubber Gila monster or paint a toy rubber lizard ( modified Gila Monster spec) of proper height and glue it on as a cheek rest, it would be another fashion forward feature, everyone would want one!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SRS will have 7mm WSM, .260 Rem, 6.5 x 47 conversion kits.

The Covert will have.338 LM conversion kit. </div></div>

Is there an expected release date for the SRS conversions? What twist and barrel length for the 6.5x47?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Textile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
srspad8.jpg

srspad2.jpg

srspad7.jpg

srspad5.jpg

srssmallpad.jpg

padsmall.jpg

srsopen.jpg

This was a pad requested by a fellow SRS owner and he has a piece of Sorbathane that he wanted to have incorporated to the cheek weld cover. So I made it to fit 1/4 to 1/2 inch of Sorbathane pad to the butt. This is a first Proto and will be tested in the following weeks.
[email protected] </div></div>

But can you make it is Multicam?

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel lengths and twists for the new conversions?

BTW, good meeting some of you guys at the SHOT show, and thanks for the shirt! </div></div>

Who...What.....???

Just a heads up. I no longer work for DTA. I'd like to thank them for employment and the oppertunity to work for a firearms manufacturer.

Those of you I am currently helping with customer support, dealer inquiries and informaion on the training facility will have to call the office and contact the relevant party.

P.S. If you overheard a conversation about this ambush http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-04-24-drug-war-mexico_N.htm I was having with Mike, who just got back from the most dangerous parts of Mexico in an EP/PSD detail. It had nothing to do with U.S. Armed Forces tactics. It was a Cartel ambush, set up by a cartel and luckly they did not kill their target, Mexico needs more officials like her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel lengths and twists for the new conversions?

BTW, good meeting some of you guys at the SHOT show, and thanks for the shirt! </div></div>

Who...What.....???</div></div>

DTA released new barrels in 260 rem, 7 WSM, and 6.5 Lapua. They also gave me a cool ass t-shirt.

SRS Cerakote

Just wanted to share some pics of my SRS after cerakoting (Coyote Tan)...

DSC_1715.jpg

DSC_1716.jpg

DSC_1717.jpg

DSC_1718_modified.jpg

Re: SRS Cerakote

Shoots like other SRSs - accurately
smile.gif

Bipod is from RND

Recently got this in a trade. If it ever stops snowing, I'd like to shoot it.

.308 w/.338LM kit
S&B 5-25 x 56 P4F
Badger rings

dtasrs001.jpg

dtasrs003.jpg

dtasrs004.jpg

dtasrs005.jpg

dtasrs006.jpg

Dogtown, I have been thinking of Carakote, but have no artistic ability what so ever. Was it hard to do? Also, I know that the kit from Brownells has 4 oz. How much did you have to use?

I used the standard kit from Brownells...was plenty. It wasn't difficult to do correctly, just tedious. You need to degrease all of the parts, sandblast the barrel, and doing the heat curing was another headache. The air drying Cerakote is good too but I was advised to go the heat route.

It might seem like DT do not take their abroad customers seriously or have an serious problems with quality and/or ordering systems. Got a story from some guys that ordered rifles and accessories, pays for all 8 months in advance, do not get feedback on the delays, get the goods only to discover that a lot is missing or wrong, communicates this back to DT at once and gets no response, a second try and still no response....Thinking maybe they don’t like foreign(people/dollars) ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaizerzouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might seem like DT do not take their abroad customers seriously or have an serious problems with quality and/or ordering systems. Got a story from some guys that ordered rifles and accessories, pays for all 8 months in advance, do not get feedback on the delays, get the goods only to discover that a lot is missing or wrong, communicates this back to DT at once and gets no response, a second try and still no response....Thinking maybe they don’t like foreign(people/dollars) ??? </div></div>

I know some of the people at DTA and they are stand up guys. They are a relatively new company and as such may have had some growing pains earlier on. But they have grown a bit and have multiple CNC machines running now and their lead time has dropped substantially. Not being in the firearm export business myself, I have no idea what sort of approvals/processes must be completed before firearms can be shipped out of the country. But I can tell you that dealing with the U.S. Federal Government is a painfully slow process.
I have shot DTA's SRS and Covert and really liked both platforms. I will be placing an order with them in the next month or so.

Anybody near Northern Virginia/DC have an SRS? Interested in buying one, but would really appreciate a chance to make sure I can work with the ergos first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RegularGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody near Northern Virginia/DC have an SRS? Interested in buying one, but would really appreciate a chance to make sure I can work with the ergos first. </div></div>

RegularGuy -

I was concerned with the ergos of the rifle too. Once I got behind one they were laid to rest. The SRS is very comfortable to shoot and the bolt manipulation was easy to get used to.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues getting hold of a DTA rifle.

We are a European distributor based in the UK and I have supplied several rifles around Europe and am more than willing to supply the customer references if you would like.

If I can quote for you on any items in the DTA range then please feel free to contact me back and I will make sure that you are well looked after.

I recently bought a SRS chassis and was going to build a 338 Edge on it. Well, I failed to do my research and discovered that a 300 RUM case will not fit in the mag. Not a big deal as I switched caliber to 338 Norma Imp. Just thought it might save someone some anguish down the road if they knew the 300 RUM case wouldn't work.

If I like this thing I had plans to do another bbl and use it for my match rifle. I'm currently shooting a Surgeon chambered in 6mm Dasher. Was wanting to do a Dasher on the DTA but recently discovered it's probably not going to work. The case is too short and falls out of the bolt face during ejection. I can do another caliber but love my Dasher!! Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?

Talked to them again. They said that they were currently in direct contact with DTA regarding issues and expected these to be resolved ASAP resulting in an happy ending.

Here's a couple new ones with 1/4 Sorbo with condoms. The Sorbo I hear gets way dirty. I can believe it. They were picking up everything just in my shop!
srsgen4-5.jpg

srs111.jpg

[url="http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/bmuoio"]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc250/bmuoio[/url]
/srs111.jpg
srsgen4-6.jpg

Hello all and consider this post as a thank you for a TON of information regarding a very interesting rifle. First, a couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know of a long range shooting area in or around Phoenix. I know Ben Avery has a high power pit but as much as I shoot there, I have never once seen it open.

2) Are there any owners of DTA SRS in the Phoenix area who may be willing to shepherd a noobie shooter into the realm of long range shooting?

3) Are there any workshops/classes in the area a noob might get started with without feeling like, well, a NOOB?

And now, a few observations. I am a BIG fan of the bullpup design, have been since shooting the Steyr Aug in Austria many years ago. I recently became the proud owner of an MSAR which is relatively close but 5.56 is not my favorite cartridge...not enough oomph. I went looking for a .308 bullpup and found the Kel Tec RFB...seems interesting and I will probably pick one up. At the same time, I was shooting a friends TRG and Blaser in .308 and I love long range accuracy but I knew the RFB was never going to be a real tack driver. Then I happened on the DTA SRS and have been drooling ever since. I have read nearly everything I can find on the rifle and looked at every pic and video too and have found relatively few complaints about the rifle other than what I have heard from everyone regarding bullpup designs which usually boil down to "it is different, therefor I do not like it". Not my issue. I understand the disadvantages, mainly trigger but for me it is more than made up for by the size advantages. So I have pretty much convinced myself to pick one up...yay...I am soon to be out 5k. Ouch.

This brings me to the one and only difference I have seemed to find with the guys at DTA. Maybe someone can make me understand.

The changing of the forearms between the Covert and the standard SRS...and maybe even the hunter.

I will buy the SRS in standard length, probably .308 first and hope to be able to purchase 1 conversion yearly thereafter. My reasons are many but money is the main issue. I am ex-military and have not recently won a lottery so I cannot afford multiple rifles at this price range. I can however afford conversions...possibly. I will buy a .300 Win Mag conversion as soon as I can afford it. I may then buy a .338 conversion. Not sure on the other calibers.

Things change drastically if I can convert between versions though...I would almost certainly buy the Covert "conversion" if it were offered and would definately buy the .300 Win Mag Hunter "conversion" if it were offered. Probably quite a few others too.

I have seen it posted that one of the concerns about allowing interchangability is that people would not then buy the Coverts. I don't understand. If people want a short, accurate .308 or .338, why would they not buy the chassis with the Covert conversion? But many of us will not use the shorty as much as the standard versions so the only sales you may be losing are those who can afford to have multiple chassis. On the flip side, you are losing sales of the Covert conversion to the many of us who would purchase it if it could be converted...same with the hunter mods. I believe you are actually losing sales by not promoting the modularity that you seem to have built the original SRS on.

In the end, I want multiple rifles of this accuracy but cannot afford to buy multiple full rifles and the optics that go with them.

Poll the readers of this thread and find out how many will buy a second chassis and how many would buy a conversion for the chassis they own...I believe you would come to the conclusion that offering a modular forearm will make customers happy and your business happy...win win.

Forget the grousing above...I just spoke with Ethan at DTA and he has informed me that they intend to make the forearms convertible between Covert/Standard SRS/Hunter. Now I no longer have any option but to purchase one...now I just need to find a few people to show me the finer points of how to shoot it. According to Ethan, they convertible models will be due out around the May timeframe if anyone was interested. We did not discuss retrofitting to the previous models though so anyone interested may wish to inquire.

I have an SRS with multiple caliber conversions and see no need to get a Covert. The SRS does everything I want and is plenty short. Albeit the Covert does look cool.I'm happy with everything my DTA is. Thanks.

I was cleaning my Covert yesterday and was looking very carefully at the foregrip. From what I could see, it seems like it shouldn't be too much trouble to generate the conversions as you mentioned DTA is in the process of doing.

My only question is this. Unless someone plans to hang NV optics or some other equipment on it, what is the purpose of having a few more inches of rail? Maybe there is some need for it that I'm unaware of, but personally, I don't think I'd ever have a need for more foregrip.

That is one reason I went with the Covert chassis instead of the standard SRS chassis. It was not a problem to use the 22" barrel in the Covert chassis, which other than the missing few inches of guard, makes it pretty similar to the standard SRS in terms of performance. So I bought the Covert chassis and both the 16" and 22" .308 barrels. Up until DTA comes out with the rail conversions, the reverse was not true (ie. I couldn't put the 16" barrel in the standard SRS chassis).

I guess it will be nice to have the option to swap out different length foregrips, particularly if someone has the longer (standard) chassis. But with the Covert chassis, I don't personally anticipate the need to switch to a longer handguard. YMMV.

A resent update. Met the guys on the range today, and they are baffled to say the least. They wrote a letter to DTA last week regarding the shortcomings and problems with their order and rifles, but as of today they were still missing an answer. They told me that they received a lot of positive attention on the range form potential byers, but that they would not demonstrate them and shoot them in front of people as they did not function properly....So clearly the matter is still unresolved, and I for my part are getting "cold feet" about acquiring one.

A letter??? Why not put in a call and get it resolved?

Ethan and everyone else I've dealt with at DTA has been absolutely fantastic with regard to taking care of me. And believe me, I've bugged the crap out of Ethan on a pretty regular basis.

Can't tell where you are from your posts/profile, but as C.K. stated above, why not try a phone call?

Very interested in your 338. I don't have a barrel conversion yet. I was going 308 first route and 338 later. But I might have to go the other way around.

As for calling to resolve the problems we are located on the other side of the earth and there is at big time difference. Anyway a formal letter sent via e-mail should be just as seriously dealt with as a phone-call. And if DTA have issues or questions they should initiate this call to the customer. I guess they have their contact numbers anyway......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaizerzouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for calling to resolve the problems we are located on the other side of the earth and there is at big time difference. Anyway a formal letter sent via e-mail should be just as seriously dealt with as a phone-call. And if DTA have issues or questions they should initiate this call to the customer. I guess they have their contact numbers anyway...... </div></div>

I've done business with companies on the other side of the world. To talk with someone on the other side of the world, either one person is up in the middle of the night or the two parties adjust their schedules a little bit to help the call get done.

I know individuals at DTA and know that they stand by their product. Call DTA during DTA's business hours or arrange a time with DTA for a phone call and let us know what happens.

I am ordering a .308 SRS for delivery in May when I return from Iraq. With this decision made, I need to concentrate on optics. I am interested in hearing your opinions on which I should start with considering a few things.

1) I am new at long range shooting...no preference in reticles or brands but I tend to like quality pieces for long term investments, even if I end up trying something new later.

2) As my skills improve, I will be purchasing larger caliber conversions, probably .300 Win Mag first since I already have a rifle in that caliber and have experience with it but I will be moving up to the .338 as time, money, and ability allow.

3) I will be purchasing at least one Hunter conversion so if the scope is suitable for that purpose it would be good.

4) In the future...if life is good to me...I would also like to pick up the HTI which would mean even longer ranges...if the scope I choose can be used for that later or one with a similar reticle to reduce learning curve that would be great

As with any opinion, everyone has their favorite optics for various reasons...If I am to learn anything I need to know WHY your pet optic is being recommended.

Is the only difference between the SRS and Covert the barrel length and rail length? And what exactly is the Hunter? It's nowhere on the DTA website. I'm not seeing 7WSM or 260 Rem kits either.

I had another question about supposed savings on scopes and such if you're shooting multiple calibers, potentially justifying the high price of this rifle. Factory kits are $1500+ on this rifle, for basically just a barrel, bolt, and magazine. Not exactly cheap on top of the $3k for the base. Some pretty nice whole rifles go for $1500. Also, can't you switch scopes between guns if the price of extra glass is prohibitive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the only difference between the SRS and Covert the barrel length and rail length? And what exactly is the Hunter? It's nowhere on the DTA website. I'm not seeing 7WSM or 260 Rem kits either.</div></div>
I'll let DTA people (or those who know more than I do) answer this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had another question about supposed savings on scopes and such if you're shooting multiple calibers, potentially justifying the high price of this rifle. Factory kits are $1500+ on this rifle, for basically just a barrel, bolt, and magazine. Not exactly cheap on top of the $3k for the base. Some pretty nice whole rifles go for $1500. Also, can't you switch scopes between guns if the price of extra glass is prohibitive? </div></div>
Yes factory kits are expensive, and so is the chassis. On the other hand - I like its properties (besides being partial to bullpup design) and quality. Is $1500 ballpark too much for a factory-guaranteed 1/2 MOA kit? <span style="font-style: italic">Not that I wouldn't like to pay less, you understand.</span>

Can you switch scope between the guns? Sure you can - but most of us prefer not to mess with re-mounting scopes if avoidable.

The <span style="font-style: italic">primary</span> difference is the rail...that and the Covert currently only comes in black (LOL). There may be other more subtle differences I'm not aware of. I don't want to steer you wrong, so getting an "official" DTA response is probably the best idea for that question. The barrel is not a difference, per se. I have the 22" 11-twist .308 barrel for my Covert in addition to the 16" 8-twist. The longer barrel uses the same bolt and works just fine in the shorter chassis. However, until the rail conversion/mod kits are available, the reverse is not true (16" barrel is too short for the full-sized chassis).

As far as scope swapping, sure you can do that. I currently have an NXS 5.5-22x50 in a LaRue LT-158 QD mount that has 10 MOA cant. But a lot of folks don't like to do that. The LaRue mounts are VERY good at return to zero when removed/replaced on the same rifle, but no QD mount on the planet is as stable as a permanent mount. Also, when swapping a QD mount scope between two <span style="font-style: italic">different</span> weapons, return to zero would essentially be on the order of a biblical miracle. Further, when switching between barrels in a single DTA SRS, you're still going to have to re-zero, regardless of whether you have a QD or permanent mount, same as when switching between different ammo loads in any single weapon. The POI will change with regard to the POA. The key is to know what the change is so you can dial in a good starting point after the switch. But it still won't always be dead on and therefore require some sighting in.

Although this is a small point, another plus for the DTA system can be if you're changing from one specific caliber to another, such as .308 to .243 for example. I believe those two calibers use the same bolt and magazines, so you save some $$$ over buying two complete conversion kits. The point being, when you consider the overall cost/other issues such as storage space, multiple gun cases and mags, etc., that go into having separate weapons of different caliber, the difference in the cost of a DTA as compared to multiple rifles is not as great as it may seem initially. Plus, it's the SAME rifle. No need to adjust to a different stock, scope placement, trigger pull, mag release location, etc. It's all the same.

Since they already have a 308 bolt I wonder why they're talking about a 260 Rem kit instead of 6.5 Creedmoor. You wouldn't need a new bolt as I understand it, just a barrel and magazine so the kit could be cheaper.

Actually if you had a 308 conversion and wanted a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor all you need is the new barrel because the bolt and magazine of the 308 is the same ones used in the mentioned caliber changes. I would bet DTA will offer just barrels as well as full kits.

Ah. I thought only the 6.5 CM was based on the 308. My bad.

Hi Tedge, and everybody. I'm in the same situation, I've just ordered an SRS in .243 and .338LM. I would have gone for the .308 but I already have another precision rifle in that calibre. Besides, I can always buy the conversion kit later!

I'm currently looking at a March scope, 2.5-25x42 which can be seen here. http://marchscopes.com.au/tactical-25-25-x-42-scopes.html

The other option I am considering is the 5-50 version, but I don't yet know if it will have the windage and elevation adjustments that I need to support both calibres.

So anyways Tedge, I've heard some great things about the March scopes and they are a high end scope, but compared to some of the other options they are fairly well priced.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had anything to do with March scopes...

Cheers
Craig

My son collected his brand new DTA SRS in 308/338lm from the dealer yesterday. He paid $US9060 for it (retail price in Australia). Out of the box one of the lugs (there are 8 of them) on the butt plate had broken off. Another one was cracked. This was a brand new, unfired rifle. The dealer checked their stock and found another brand new SRS with the same problem.

Is this a common problem with the SRS?