• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

very nice nick, oh well i started another thread on it, i didn't see you had posted it in here.

BigJoe
No worries, more people will notice your new post than would notice my post in this huge thread of ours.

Thanks

Guys I have read all 19 Pages and missed what I am wanting to know. I have a Crusader now, and it is fair to say that I am spoiled with something that shoots sooo well. For you guys that have both or had both(precsion conventional bolt gun) and a DTA/Bullpup. Is it worth trading one for the other? I cannot afford both, but the DTA appeals to me. Just concearned about ergonomics, and shoot ability in the transistion. Thanks BE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I have read all 19 Pages and missed what I am wanting to know. I have a Crusader now, and it is fair to say that I am spoiled with something that shoots sooo well. For you guys that have both or had both(precsion conventional bolt gun) and a DTA/Bullpup. Is it worth trading one for the other? I cannot afford both, but the DTA appeals to me. Just concearned about ergonomics, and shoot ability in the transistion. Thanks BE </div></div>

Find someone and run a few rounds through it. I had my DTA for about a year before I switched back to a normal stocked rifle.

you just have to go in with a openmind, the mechanics are diferent, its goin to take some getting used to. the rifle shoots lights out, the accuracy is there, i find the bolt throw more natural then a standard stocked rifle once i got used to it. It definately took some time though. everything else the gun offers made it a easy choice, my go to bolt gun will be a DTA for the indefinate future. just like goin from one platform to another its goin to take time to be fast and fluid with it.

Can someone tell me all the various upgrades that have been made to the SRS since it was first built? It's my understanding that there is another upgrade due in May... I ask because I'm wondering if I should wait and buy new, or buy one used and save some money.

If I buy it used, what upgrades do I need to make sure it has?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I have read all 19 Pages and missed what I am wanting to know. I have a Crusader now, and it is fair to say that I am spoiled with something that shoots sooo well. For you guys that have both or had both(precsion conventional bolt gun) and a DTA/Bullpup. Is it worth trading one for the other? I cannot afford both, but the DTA appeals to me. Just concearned about ergonomics, and shoot ability in the transistion. Thanks BE </div></div>

My primary reason for the SRS is the ease of switching calibers. The second is the compact nature of the bullpup design. It does make transport and shooting from position a bit easier for me. It's an excellent rifle but it <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> very different from a traditional bolt rifle in the bolt throw and the trigger feel. It takes some getting used to (I'm still adjusting).

You should ask yourself what your reason would be for wanting to switch over. If you're after some imagined improvement that you can't get otherwise, you should shoot the rifle first and decide if it will give you what you're looking for. I had very specific reasons that the DTA addressed perfectly, I can't speak for anyone else but myself.

Anyone know if a DTA is legal in NYC ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mute</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys I have read all 19 Pages and missed what I am wanting to know. I have a Crusader now, and it is fair to say that I am spoiled with something that shoots sooo well. For you guys that have both or had both(precsion conventional bolt gun) and a DTA/Bullpup. Is it worth trading one for the other? I cannot afford both, but the DTA appeals to me. Just concearned about ergonomics, and shoot ability in the transistion. Thanks BE </div></div>

My primary reason for the SRS is the ease of switching calibers. The second is the compact nature of the bullpup design. It does make transport and shooting from position a bit easier for me. It's an excellent rifle but it <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> very different from a traditional bolt rifle in the bolt throw and the trigger feel. It takes some getting used to (I'm still adjusting).

You should ask yourself what your reason would be for wanting to switch over. If you're after some imagined improvement that you can't get otherwise, you should shoot the rifle first and decide if it will give you what you're looking for. I had very specific reasons that the DTA addressed perfectly, I can't speak for anyone else but myself. </div></div>

I am considering trading off my gap because I do like the things the DTA offers. Compact, easy caliber change and I love modern technology. I seriously doubt that it will out shoot my Crusader, but I am willing to sacarfice a little precision for a super robust platform that is super compact. Infact, I think I would like to start with a Covert Package add a new .260 barrel. Thanks for the input guys.--Brandon

fockell, I sold and traded my two GAPs off for my two DTA's. I love GAP rifles but the DTA's do anything I wish to do with a rifle. Now I wish there was a way to make a 10# ultralight one too just for grins but I am a DTA convert.

What is the inside diameter of the handguard on the SRS? How much clearence between the barrel and the inside of the handguard?

Thanks

fockell,
Made a quick call and the inside diameter of the handguard is 1.38 inches. the barrel clearance is .26 inch. I will confirm that on my rifle when I get home.....actually I have a covert forend so it won't be the same.

Hope that helped.

Any chance of Desert Tactical showing up at the NRA annual conference? I'd like to get my hands on a Covert before taking the plunge.

fockell,
I measured my SRS and came up with close to the same numbers Russ posted...here are mine
handguard is 1.39 inches. the barrel clearance is .25 inch

Hi all

I second that about the NRA conference. The conference is gonna be HUGE!!!
AND I need to see a DTA , though my wallett dozen' t hee hee.
This is my next addition to my stable...
BUT it would be nice to see one and discuss options etc in person
How about a dinner invite to boot ?

Sincerely
Copk9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coming soon...

Desert Tactical Arms Hard Target Interdiction (HTI) covertible in .50 BMG, 416 Barrett, 408 Chey-Tac, and .375 Chey-Tac.
25jjknb.jpg
</div></div>

and one will be mine, oh yes it will be mine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .375 Chey-Tac is the most accurate of the bunch in the big gun.</div></div>
Is it true that CheyTac is out of business, or did they just stop producing the (extremely overpriced) Thor rifle? If the former, that would making buying a new gun in that caliber (or 408 CheyTac) extremely risky.

The .408 cartridge is here to stay, regardless of the company Cheytac itself.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Guys,
Just posted up our new promotional video for Desert Tactical Arms.
It is on our homepage or you can view it below.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yLhjt-He9Kw&feature=feedwll"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yLhjt-He9Kw&feature=feedwll" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Cheytac the company is gone, but the Cheytac cartridges will be around for a very long time, the cartridges have not yet seen the popularity that they will be seeing in the very near future, especially the 375CT it is absolutely amazing!

Nick, I like the new site. I have to say that I love my rifle (both conversions shoot below your 1/2 MOA claim), and the few times that I have called DTA the customer service has been out standing.

Having said that, I miss Later and Fredo. I have no idea, nor is it anyone's business why they no longer work there, but I became and interested in your rifle because of the posts that they made here. The constant stream of information from those two cost me a lot of money. It would be cool if you had another at your business answer questions from time to time.

Please don't take this as a knock, because I know of no other major rifle manufacturer who's owner gets on a web page and talks to its customers.

Twist rate of 7 WSM maybe?

Has anyone had issues feeding a 284 win or variant through the DTA SRS? The gun shoots great, I'm having mag feed issues though. The nose of the bullet nosedives and gets hung up on the bottom before the chamber when the bolt is closed about halfway. Mags used are the 300 WM/338 Lapua mags.

Any ideas? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fockell,
I measured my SRS and came up with close to the same numbers Russ posted...here are mine
handguard is 1.39 inches. the barrel clearance is .25 inch </div></div>

Thanks guys. I was wondering about about putting a covert barrel on a SRS. Thinking a suppressor might fit under the guard and just stick out the front end just a few inches.
Might be too tight for most oem suppressors. Thanks again, Brandon

It's a great idea to have the hardguard enclose the suppressor, but I can't see that happening with the current design. Again, this would be yet another reason for interchangeable modular handguarda for the SRS.

If anyone in Phoenix is interested in buying one but would like to try it out first just shoot me a PM and I can meet you at the range. I can also hook you up with a local dealer who has them in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone in Phoenix is interested in buying one but would like to try it out first just shoot me a PM and I can meet you at the range. I can also hook you up with a local dealer who has them in stock. </div></div>
SGC?

Ive had my SRS for a while now and love it. But I must say today the customer service from DTA really showed me how top notch they are. I had an issue arise with my bolt on the 308 and I overnighted it in after talking with Ethan and Mike and they were all over helping me out. I have a competition this weekend to shoot and immediately they said no problem a new bolt will be sent out to you with extension and the tool to install it free of charge. THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE right there. They answered all my questions and Im very very pleased. Just another reason to go DTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1fstTA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had my SRS for a while now and love it. But I must say today the customer service from DTA really showed me how top notch they are. I had an issue arise with my bolt on the 308 and I overnighted it in after talking with Ethan and Mike and they were all over helping me out. I have a competition this weekend to shoot and immediately they said no problem a new bolt will be sent out to you with extension and the tool to install it free of charge. THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE right there. They answered all my questions and Im very very pleased. Just another reason to go DTA. </div></div>

What was the problem with the bolt?

the extractor pin somehow got jamed inside the bolt. and the bolt face was showing pressure signs. All my brass and everything checked out fine mic'ed everything and its good to go. So Ethan and Mike said they were gonna send me out a new bolt with the bolt extension and have me up and running for the contest. couldtnt ask for anything more.

I see this one still hasn't been answered.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if a DTA is legal in NYC ? </div></div>
I don't know all the weird NYC rules - but being a bolt-action rifle (not semi-auto), with a barrel of decent length (22" for .308 and 26" for everything else), small-capacity mags - there are no logical reasons for DTA to be not allowed in NYC. In any case, because of the above properties it can't be qualified as an "assault weapon" (<span style="font-style: italic">One FFL idiot in MA told me that he couldn't order this rifle because of the Assault Weapon Ban - so I thanked him for his efforts and promptly went to a more educated gentleman who had no problem ordering a bolt-action rifle - even as mean-looking as SRS</span>
smile.gif
).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see this one still hasn't been answered.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if a DTA is legal in NYC ? </div></div>
I don't know all the weird NYC rules - but being a bolt-action rifle (not semi-auto), with a barrel of decent length (22" for .308 and 26" for everything else), small-capacity mags - there are no logical reasons for DTA to be not allowed in NYC. In any case, because of the above properties it can't be qualified as an "assault weapon" (<span style="font-style: italic">One FFL idiot in MA told me that he couldn't order this rifle because of the Assault Weapon Ban - so I thanked him for his efforts and promptly went to a more educated gentleman who had no problem ordering a bolt-action rifle - even as mean-looking as SRS</span>
smile.gif
). </div></div>

I would hope you are right but i'm not sure as some rifles are bannked too. Guess i can phone NYPD and ask but doubt i will get a clear answer in writing and would hate any f*** up on my behalf to set a precedent and undermine DTA or others.

Below are the rules...what do you think after seeing them ?

On August 16, 1991 the Mayor signed Local Law 78 which banned the possession and sale of certain rifles
and shotguns that have been classified as “ASSAULT WEAPONS.”

THE FOLLOWING IS THE DEFINITION OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON
(a) Any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun which has one or more of the
following features:
1. Folding or telescoping stock or no stock.
2. Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
3. Bayonet mount.
4. Flash Suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.
5. Barrel Shroud.
6. Grenade launcher.
7. Modifications of such features, or other features determined by rule of the Police Commissioner to
be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes.

In addition, the Police Commissioner may, in such rules, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer’s name, as within the definition of assault
weapon, if the Police Commissioner determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes.
(b) Any shotguns with a revolving cylinder magazine.
(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.

EXAMPLES OF ASSAULT WEAPONS THAT ARE BANNED
ALL AK-47s & All AR-15s
Armalite AR-180
Australian LIAIA & 223SAC
Beretta AR-70, BM-59
Beretta Light 50, 82AL
Calico M-900, M-100
Daewoo Max 1 & 2
DMAX C90, C100, C450
Dragunov Sniper Rifle
Encom, MK-1V
Fabrique FN/FAL, LAR, FNC
Fal Type 1-2-4
Famas Maas-223
Feather AT-9 & AT-22
Federal Eng. Corp XC 220,450, 900 A.C.
Franchi Law Spas 12
Goncz High Tech Carbine
Heckler & Koch 91, 93, 94
Israeli – All UZIs
Iver Johnson PM 30P
Norinco NMD86 Sniper Rifle
Polytech Ind. M-14s
PSG-1 rifles G3, SA
Ruger Mini 14/5F
SIG 57 AMT & PE-57, BM-59
SIG 550, 551 S.P.
Springfield BM-59, SAR 48&58 &3, M-1A
Sterling MK-6
Steyr Daimler Pusch AUG-SA
Valmet Corp. M-76, 78 SA
Weaver Arms Corp. Nighthawk

Speculation and second guessing NYC gun laws will only drive you insane. Then, having been linked to a major mental disorder, you will definitely be disqualified for legal purchase in NYC (LOL). Seriously, have you thought about quietly phoning Ethan or one of the other boys at DTA and just ask? I'm sure they can tell you over the phone and the answer (good or bad) wouldn't have to posted publicly. JMO.

As an alternative, by living outside the "bad neighborhoods" for gun owners circled in red on the map below, you can generally avoid issues such as this. Sorry, my friend!

Slide1-6.jpg

LOL

Yeah i emailed DTA but they weren't sure either. I will figure it out but thought i'd ask here first. There aren't many q's on here that aren't answered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On August 16, 1991 the Mayor signed Local Law 78 which banned the possession and sale of certain rifles and shotguns that have been classified as “ASSAULT WEAPONS.”

THE FOLLOWING IS THE DEFINITION OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON
(a) Any <span style="font-weight: bold">semiautomatic</span> centerfire or rimfire rifle or <span style="font-weight: bold">semiautomatic</span> shotgun which has one or more of the
following features:...............
In addition, the Police Commissioner may, in such rules, designate specific <span style="font-weight: bold">semiautomatic</span> centerfire or rimfire rifles or <span style="font-weight: bold">semiautomatic</span> shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer’s name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the Police Commissioner determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes.
(b) Any shotguns with a revolving cylinder magazine.
(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon</div></div>
As you can clearly see in the above - the key defining word of a "bad" weapon is <span style="font-weight: bold">semiautomatic</span>. DTA is a <span style="font-weight: bold">bolt action</span> (i.e. <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> semiautomatic). Case closed. Whatever else this rifle is - it is not an "assault weapon", even by the NYC, MA or CA perverted standards.

There's no need to bother Ethan with this, as he most likely doesn't (and shouldn't) know.

Since you can't receive this rifle yourself anyway - it has to go through your local FFL holder - you might as well talk to the FFL that you intend to use for the firearm transfer.

And if you really want to cover your backside from 360 degrees you can write to NYC Police Commissioner office, and to Attorney General office.

P.S. <span style="font-style: italic">It looks like your idiot mayor forgot to proscribe the beautiful Steyr AUG. Can't think of a better rifle for that city (except for DTA SRS of course
wink.gif
)!
grin.gif
</span>

It should be legal, but remember there is a 5-round limit for magazines in NON-semiauto rifles - this is what disqualifies some lever-actions. I do not remember how big the DTA mags are, but for NYC they have to be 5 or less rounds...

And the attorney general will respond : "Go to the long rifle/shotgun licensing body in Queens. With photos. And money. I do not know how much money. On either Monday or Thursday. Between the hours of 10AM to 1PM. They shall decide."

He will not even have the decency to warn you to "Beware of the leopard".

As you can see, I am a bit snarky on this subject - guess why
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mickg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remember there is a 5-round limit for magazines in NON-semiauto rifles - this is what disqualifies some lever-actions. I do not remember how big the DTA mags are, but for NYC they have to be 5 or less rounds...</div></div>
Current DTA magazines have 5 rounds. <span style="font-style: italic">There's a rumor that DTA is working on 10-round magazines, but they aren't here yet.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the attorney general will respond: "Go to the long rifle/shotgun licensing body in Queens.</div></div>
Are you saying that in NYC one has to get a separate <span style="text-decoration: underline">license</span> for each long gun he purchases? Not just something like "Firearm Owner ID Card" that you get once, and which entitles you to purchasing long guns that aren't on the "black list" of your state's Junta? <span style="font-style: italic">I can only say that I'm immensely happy to live outside of Bloomberg's "workers' paradise". <no smile></span>

308's fit 6 rounds per mag and I asked about the 10 round magazines at DTA the other day and got a blank stare and a, "Huh?"
So, I wouldn't hold my breath on those...

A bit more involved than that - they need to approve of the gun unless they recognize the make/model right off the bat.

Surprisingly enough, the rifles/shotgun division is actually quite responsive: you just call them at 718-520-9300, and they'll usually be quite helpful.

Now that I think of it, they _may_ nix the SRS because of the pistol grip...

Usually, you just have to tell them: I got this gun, this maker, this model, this serial, put it in my file. If they have a question, they can ask you to bring it down.

And I was wrong about their operating times: it got better! It is Monday only, 8AM to 8PM...

Also, as a side tidbit, if you have more than 4 firearms in your file, the police may do random spot inspections to make sure that you actually have the firearms at the premises, that you comply with safe storage requirements, trigger locks, etc...

And the 6 rounds would be a problem - that's actually a misdemeanor in NYC. For anyone who wants to get an SRS in NYC, get a thicker follower, and glue it in there.

To the top and how about we get back on topic for DTA's and leave the gun control dialogue to the appropriate area on the site?

As you can see by my posts I'm relatively new here still and just do mostly readying. Yesterday I proceeded to read this whole thead and became very interested in this system. I really like the setups of both the SRS and Covert, however I don't really have a need for the length of the rail the SRS offers; which brings me to my question.
I did notice that of course the covert can be shot off the bipod, but I am quite interested in the working of shooting the 26" 338 out of the covert. Due to the rail being shorter, which pushes the bipod back closer to the operator, would it cause any weird balance issues that might be a true pain in the butt? Or would the difference between the SRS and Covert setups with the 26" barrel be negligible, and such a slight difference you wouldn't notice?
Thanks ahead of time.

Hi Stephen

I regularly shoot a covert in exactly the configuration you are referring to and have no problems at all with it.

In fact we have found (suprisingly to me) that we are gettign ebst accuracy with bipod on the SRS about half way back and not all the way out front.

regards

Ewen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stephensdwinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you can see by my posts I'm relatively new here still and just do mostly readying. Yesterday I proceeded to read this whole thead and became very interested in this system. I really like the setups of both the SRS and Covert, however I don't really have a need for the length of the rail the SRS offers; which brings me to my question.
I did notice that of course the covert can be shot off the bipod, but I am quite interested in the working of shooting the 26" 338 out of the covert. Due to the rail being shorter, which pushes the bipod back closer to the operator, would it cause any weird balance issues that might be a true pain in the butt? Or would the difference between the SRS and Covert setups with the 26" barrel be negligible, and such a slight difference you wouldn't notice?
Thanks ahead of time. </div></div>

Depending on where in Utah you are, your welcome to meet up with me and shoot the rifle in the configuration you are interested in. I can bring along covert barrels as well as whetever flavor of full length your interested in shooting. Im out in Tooele and can let you shoot as far as you would like.

Russ

My experience has been similar to Ewen's. I spend about even time using the 16" 8-twist .308 barrel that is standard for the Covert and the 22" 11-twist .308 barrel that is standard for the full-sized SRS, both in the Covert chassis. I find running the bipod approximately in the middle of the rail gives the best results and feels most "comfortable" to me. YMMV with the 26" .338 pipe, which I'm sure is heavier in addition to being 4" longer. But I would think you'd be fine as you'd have at least another 3-4" you could move the bipod toward the muzzle if you found you didn't like it near the middle.