• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Kids are in the rooms, but I have that ghetto 5th wheel ur welcome to.

Thank you for the replies. Russ I live in Centerville so like 30-40 minute drive; however I won't be back home until sometime in July. I would definitely appreciate you letting me test out the configuration before I make a purchase. Which direction from Tooele do you head to do your shooting, out west or to the south?

@Ewen Has there been any published reasons/explanations on why the SRS is doing better with the bipod set back a bit? Or just something that was tried and managed to work great?

No problem. I generally shoot just west of Tooele or about 20 miles south. both are easy to get to.

Hi Stephen,

I dont know of any reason, just seems better after experimenting. I assume this is due to the bullpup construction but to be honest, once I found it out I never worried about it much.

regards

Ewen

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Yeung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had issues feeding a 284 win or variant through the DTA SRS? The gun shoots great, I'm having mag feed issues though. The nose of the bullet nosedives and gets hung up on the bottom before the chamber when the bolt is closed about halfway. Mags used are the 300 WM/338 Lapua mags.

Any ideas? Thanks! </div></div>

Jon Beanland just finished a 284 bbl for my DTA. Haven't shot it but did play w/feeding a lot today. It will feed every round except for the last one just fine. On the last round, when I pull the bolt back across the shell in the mag it would push the shell down in the back and the bolt would not pick it up and the follower would try and pop out the front of the mag. We tried bending the mag just a little so that follower could not pop up. This let to the problem you are describing. I think we may have fixed it by turning the spring around and bending the top out to put more pressure on the BACK of the follower. The way it was in there was backward in my opinion. It put way more pressure on the front and let to the follower trying to pop out. I will let you know after I have shot the rifle awhile if it works. I think it is going to work. Might give it a try. It won't hurt anything.

Has there been anything new on the modular forearms?

As far as bipod placement goes we have found that putting the bipod in the center of the rail makes the rifle easier to shoot, the reason is because of the rearward weight balance of the rifle. When the bipod is at the end of the barrel it tends to hop a lot more than having it mid-way down the rail. I hope this tip helps some users out there.

I found the same through trial and error. I'm glad to hear you advocate the center placement, there for a while, I thought I was doing something terribly wrong, as in hop, hop, hop. Center cut is goodness. Thanks for that tip, it is very helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as bipod placement goes we have found that putting the bipod in the center of the rail makes the rifle easier to shoot, the reason is because of the rearward weight balance of the rifle. When the bipod is at the end of the barrel it tends to hop a lot more than having it mid-way down the rail. I hope this tip helps some users out there. </div></div>

does this placemet cause any issues for offhand?

No it doesn't cause issues for offhand shooting, we have a plastic handhold area in front of the triggerguard plus additional rail space so the bipod is far from your hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it doesn't cause issues for offhand shooting, we have a plastic handhold area in front of the triggerguard plus additional rail space so the bipod is far from your hand.
</div></div>

Would like to catch up and talk with you.

I know this question has been asked before but can't seem to locate the response? What is the reason for no SRS 5.56 conversion available? Is it a cost/demand issue or some technical reason?

I would think that if it is technically possible it would be a quite popular kit for cheap trigger time?

The 223 cartridge is too short to feed from the magazine on the SRS platform. A single shot could be done but it would still be difficult to get rounds into the chamber due to the larger bolt face diameter.

Hey Guys
Off topic a bit but I was at the NRA covention today
in Pittsburgh, and lo and behold The DTA crew was there
with all their goodies.
I have been on the fence watching the news from all you guys
and was really wanting a SRS but I wanted to see and feel it and get my own idea's of how much I liked it. Well I tried it at the show( handleing ) it and trigger feel bolt feel etc.
All I can say is WOW !!!! . I had my good friend my dealer with me and he Loved it also ... Soo I will be his first order I hope...
Guys I know now why you like the DTA's ...
Also Tucson Dave The S&B will go on it ....
Thanks to you all for the info etc.
copk9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller,
Ok, call me at the office tomorrow. 801-975-7272 </div></div>

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me.

What is your recommendation on a scope for the DTA SRS in using three different calibers. I had planned on using one of my NF 3.5-15x50 ZS but the ZS feature may not be ideal since you have to remove to turret to set it.

The 3.5-15x50 should serve you well. I had a 5.5-22x50 on my Covert, but recently replaced that with the 3.5-15x50 F1 MLR2.

As far as the ZS, you can always dial more elevation (within the range of turret adjustment), but once it's set, you can't dial further down without re-setting it. So set it a few clicks lower than what is needed to zero your <span style="font-style: italic">highest POI</span> combination (I used 5, but YMMV) and record the #. Then determine the elevation adjustments needed to zero for the different barrel(s)/round(s) and be sure to record them. By using the highest POI barrel/load combination, you will assure that you have enough elevation adjustment to zero any of the lower POI combination(s). In addition, you will be able to dial in pretty well with any of the other combinations once you know the relative adjustments needed between them.

The same approach will also work for one specific caliber barrel using various types/loads of ammunition that have different POIs. Set the ZS + a little extra for the highest POI, and record the elevation adjustments necessary for the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 3.5-15x50 should serve you well. I had a 5.5-22x50 on my Covert, but recently replaced that with the 3.5-15x50 F1 MLR2.

As far as the ZS, you can always dial more elevation (within the range of turret adjustment), but once it's set, you can't dial further down without re-setting it. So set it a few clicks lower than what is needed to zero your <span style="font-style: italic">highest POI</span> combination (I used 5, but YMMV) and record the #. Then determine the elevation adjustments needed to zero for the different barrel(s)/round(s) and be sure to record them. By using the highest POI barrel/load combination, you will assure that you have enough elevation adjustment to zero any of the lower POI combination(s). In addition, you will be able to dial in pretty well with any of the other combinations once you know the relative adjustments needed between them.

The same approach will also work for one specific caliber barrel using various types/loads of ammunition that have different POIs. Set the ZS + a little extra for the highest POI, and record the elevation adjustments necessary for the others. </div></div>

Great info and idea! Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your recommendation on a scope for the DTA SRS in using three different calibers. I had planned on using one of my NF 3.5-15x50 ZS but the ZS feature may not be ideal since you have to remove to turret to set it. </div></div>

Which calibers?

Chiller asked an important question.

But even with 308 I felt that top magnification of my 5-20x50 (Vortex Razor HD) was barely enough for the long range. If you want to limit yourself to say 1000m, probably 15x is sufficient.

FWIW, I rarely go above 15x when shooting well beyond 1000 yards. The instinct is to go to full power, and while that's useful to get dialed in on the target area, but I've found that reducing the magnification a bit helps get me back on target quickly post-recoil. As long as you can still easily discern the target, try knocking the magnification back a bit. This is especially true if you're spotting your own shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, I rarely go above 15x when shooting well beyond 1000 yards. The instinct is to go to full power, and while that's useful to get dialed in on the target area, but I've found that reducing the magnification a bit helps get me back on target quickly post-recoil. As long as you can still easily discern the target, try knocking the magnification back a bit. This is especially true if you're spotting your own shots. </div></div>

+1
I have also found that forcing myself to trim magnification back helps my efficiency tracking movers and reduces the need to dial up/down when engaging targets at unknown distances... YMMV

Extra magnification is somewhat like self-defense weapon: usually you don't need it - until you <span style="text-decoration: underline">really</span> need it.

I too was shooting steel at 950m using 10x (as my instructor suggested stopping at that magnification rather than going higher).

But occasionally I needed to go higher. Did I need it often? No. But when I did need it I was very happy that the scope obliged.

Dogtown is certainly right wrt. follow-up shots & reduced mag. But notice that he says "<span style="font-style: italic">I <span style="font-weight: bold">rarely</span> go above 15x...</span>". So do you want to pay for a capability that would turn out useful only once in a while?

I was willing to pay for the extra magnification and extra features of Razor HD. If Premier Heritage 5-25x56 had a reticle more to my taste (like Vortex EBR-2B) and costed $700 less I would have taken it instead, more for that extra reach than for a (presumably) better glass.

As a wise man here said: you pays your money and you makes your choice.
wink.gif

In addition to whether or not you want the extra magnification, there is another issue to consider if you're set on NF. I have NF 3.5-15x50 F2 MLR, 5.5-22x50 F2 MLR, and 3.5-15x50 F1 MLR2 scopes. As I've gotten older, my vision has gotten less acute and there is a difference to my eyes between the reticles on these three NF offerings. Specifically, the line thicknesses of these three reticles are: 0.130 MOA (3.5-15x50 F2 @ 15X), 0.093 MOA (5.5-22x50 F2 @ 22X), and 0.160 MOA (3.5-15x50 F1 MLR2).

Even though I love the extra mag on the scope, I find it much harder see the MLR reticle on the 5.5-22x50, particularly if it's cloudy or near dusk. Even under optimal conditions, I sometimes find the reticle fading in and out to my eye.

As you might expect based on the line thicknesses, the 3.5-15x50 F2 MLR reticle is much easier for me to see, and the F1 MLR2 could pretty much be seen by a blind man with a cane.

So depending on the type shooting you want to do and how solid your vision is, you also might want to consider how reticle line thickness might affect your usage of the scope in addition to extra magnification.

Yup, there's quite a demand for FFP scopes but SFP starts making more sense when you're shooting into ELR territory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, there's quite a demand for FFP scopes but SFP starts making more sense when you're shooting into ELR territory. </div></div>

I am an ELR newb and just curious why you think that way? My guess is because you are more than likely going to have a range finder anyways so why bother with FFP. Other question though, wouldn't the mils be different if you were spotting someone elses round if you were using a FFP and the other guy was using a SFP?

The reason you would go with SFP is because the reticle stays fine (skinny) in the scope as you dial in higher magnification. With a FFP scope, at high magnification and long range (smaller appearing targets), the thickness of the FFP reticle can block your view of the target. SFO does however make it more difficult to dial your adjustments unless the scope is set on the proper magnification so you can read your corrections properly off of the reticle.

First Batch of 338LM and 308WIN DTA produced silencers will be finished next Wednesday! These are steel and the titanium ones are a week behind the steel cans.

Excellent suppression, minimal impact shift and fantastic accuracy.
laugh.gif

But can they be exported to New Zealand? Cans are unrestricted here but I'm finding the designs are rather...1980s
wink.gif

Well it was worth a try - I'm still trying to get my SRS imported over here.

I'm waiting fot my Titan QD to clear so I can take her out and have some fun. In the mean time all I can do is put her on and stare at her in the shop.

wjji1t.jpg

SR90,

I know you guys have had some can testing posted on your site and elsewhere but they seam to have all disappeared. Are they still available somewhere?

I will provide silencer videos and pictures with more info tomorrow afternoon.

Question for you DTA folks.

Can you have a barrel made say in 30-06 or 25-06 using the standard 308 bolt since it is technically a long action? I would assume you could utilize the existing magazine as you could with the 243?

A barrel can be made for any cartridge with a bolt face size that matches .308 win, 300 win, or 338lm. Will they feed from the mag properly? That is a good question let us know when you do yours. Now we don't do custom barrel options youll have to go through a place like freedom gunworks.

I've owned the rifle since 2009 but I've never gotten a chance to post some pics. 308 with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T. Harris bipod. Monopod retrofit. AAC 762-SD supressor.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0169-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A barrel can be made for any cartridge with a bolt face size that matches .308 win, 300 win, or 338lm. Will they feed from the mag properly? That is a good question let us know when you do yours. Now we don't do custom barrel options youll have to go through a place like freedom gunworks. </div></div>

They won't feed. I have a .284 that will not feed. Currently trying to work that out. Will let everyone know how it ends up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting fot my Titan QD to clear so I can take her out and have some fun. In the mean time all I can do is put her on and stare at her in the shop.

wjji1t.jpg
</div></div>

I AM DROOOOOOLING!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting fot my Titan QD to clear so I can take her out and have some fun. In the mean time all I can do is put her on and stare at her in the shop.

wjji1t.jpg
</div></div>

Looks AWESOME Wade!! might have to come visit
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting fot my Titan QD to clear so I can take her out and have some fun. In the mean time all I can do is put her on and stare at her in the shop.

wjji1t.jpg
</div></div>

Looks AWESOME Wade!! might have to come visit
wink.gif
</div></div>

If you wait a couple of months Jon Beanland will have finished my new 338 covert barrel and the new 260 rem barrel for me!!

Ok. Let me start by saying so far I love my DTA. I had Jon Beanland chamber me a bbl in 284 and it is shooting lights out. 26" bbl w/my can is shorter than a conventional rifle w/a 26" bbl alone.

Now on to the feeding issues. We could not make it feed w/the 338 mags. The feed lips were just too short and released the case before it was in the chamber and b/c the 284 is a fairly skinny case the nose of the bullet would hit the flat surface of the bbl shank.

After giving up on the 338 mags we asked DTA if they had any ideas and if they could send us a couple of the 308 mags w/out the insert in them to modify. They said yes and that they would get them right out. A week later I called and they said they had been busy but as soon as their machinest freed up he would get it done. A week later they called Jon and told him they would not send us any mags as the rifle was designed as 338 lapua and 308 win. As you can imagine I was a little pissed.

Jon had a 308 mag and was kind enough to machine the spacer out and mail it to me. I got it this AM and after putting a 338 follower and spring in it and spending about 20 min bending the feed lips around and testing it, it now feeds like a champ!! No thanks to DTAs customer service I might add.

I'm not trying to torch them here. I think from all I have heard they do a good job. Just was a little upset that it took them two weeks to tell me no. I could have had it going two weeks ago. You would just think that if someone spends $5000 on one of their rifles they would do anything they could to make them happy and make it work within reason. Infact, they could learn something from this and it WILL help to improve their product b/c it makes it more versitile.

If any of you guys were wanting to do a 284 variant or '06 variant you can feel confident that it will feed. Just have to get a 308 mag w/a 338 follower and spring and bend the lips. Again I love my rifle!!

Does anyone know if the DTA factory rings with 30mm reducers are the best way to go with this SRS. I have some good Farrell rings on my scope already. Medium size. Centerline of the scope to the top of the base is .935 apparently. Scope has a 42mm objective. Is the rail a built in base or how does the mounting work.

U will need taller rings. Somewhere in the range 1.5". There is no drop in the comb like a traditional rifle. Also there is no moa built into the rail on the gun. U need a base and ring combo that has some can't to.it.

3rdgss,
We do not do custom work at DTA, it creates production delays, I apologize if my guys did not tell you straight up when you called in but we are working very hard on getting the HTI into production and other R&D projects and custom requests put things at a standstill, I know each customer thinks what's the big deal with doing one small thing for them but we have hundreds of customers and many many requests for custom items that is why we work with dealers like Freedom Gun Works for such items.

Thanks

Nick

I totally understand that. I don't have a problem with being told no. I just wish it would have come on the first phone call.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think doing another mag that will feed the mid length cases would improve your product. Gives guys more caliber options. Do you have any plans of doing this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3rdgss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">U will need taller rings. Somewhere in the range 1.5". There is no drop in the comb like a traditional rifle. Also there is no moa built into the rail on the gun. U need a base and ring combo that has some can't to.it. </div></div>

Got it thanks mate. I guess that means the DTA Ring mount option with reducers is the way to go.