• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im finishing load development on the .260 now, while not using the JLK we are getting some excellent performance out of like weight bullets.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Russ
DTA/DTM </div></div>

Russ: Can you guys share preferred loads for each barrel?

I know you're selling your own ammo, but I don't think publishing your loads is going to take away from that market: reloaders are going to reload anyway; if for no reason other than you can't offer factory ammo that's fire-formed to each gun's chamber.

(And if liability is a concern note that you crossed that bridge when you started selling ammo.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im finishing load development on the .260 now, while not using the JLK we are getting some excellent performance out of like weight bullets.

Russ
DTA/DTM </div></div>

I know you're selling your own ammo, but I don't think publishing your loads is going to take away from that market: reloaders are going to reload anyway; if for no reason other than you can't offer factory ammo that's fire-formed to each gun's chamber.

(And if liability is a concern note that you crossed that bridge when you started selling ammo.) </div></div>

Dude, Seriously?

I agree, reloaders are going to reload.

You can't honestly believe I would just publish all my data that we have tested and developed.

Do any other companies out there give load data? No, they don't. They do like to tell you they have a propriatary blended powder that only secret squirrels can get a hold of. Thats the answer I will run with.

Hornady on the other hand does list a good starting load for reloaders to use. It's handy, right on the side of the box. I am more than happy to help a new reloader get his feet wet and will advise them on safe starting points. I've spent hours on the phone helping people do just that.

Shoot Straight.

Russ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im finishing load development on the .260 now, while not using the JLK we are getting some excellent performance out of like weight bullets.

Russ
DTA/DTM </div></div>

(And if liability is a concern note that you crossed that bridge when you started selling ammo.) </div></div>

Dude - get a fucking clue.

Unless you can acquire the same lot number bullets, brass, powder, and primers, you cannot duplicate DTM's loads. Even if you could, why would you want to? Each barrel is different. Being a handloader affords you opportunity to tune your load to whatever it is you wish to try to achieve with your weapons system. There is no shortage of published load data for the different chambering/bullet weight combos DTM is selling.

Somehow turning your position on this into a negative re: DTA, DTM, or Russ is simply a reflection of your lack of knowledge, experience, and understanding, not something reflective of DTA/DTM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Whoa, dudes, this feels just like high school! Sorry, like, I guess I forgot us nerds aren't allowed to talk to you popular kids. Thanks for putting me in my place!

Well 9H ain't gonna pull any punches if you know him and he don't suffer fools lightly. Consider it educational experience. Russ you better not give out that data!

No worries. I doubt the higher up would be impressed if I started posting that info up.

I always wonder about the Firearm For Sale posts that say something like "only 60 rounds fired since new... my load for it is...." It took several hundred rounds of various commercial ammo to figure out "my factory load." With all the variables such as seating depth, neck tension, etc. how a reloader can claim "my load is" after only a few dozen rounds sounds like virtual reality to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Whoa, dudes, this feels just like high school! Sorry, like, I guess I forgot us nerds aren't allowed to talk to you popular kids. Thanks for putting me in my place! </div></div>

Love the high school reference.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Go back to high school, you and your over-used trite colloquialisms, and see if you can score some brainiac points with the uninformed back there. You'll fit right in - maybe even emerge as a leader.

HINT: explosions that take place repeatedly within a few inch proximity of your face are not to be taken lightly. YOU ARE FLAT WRONG in your approach - maybe you'll get through this "hobby" phase/fascination with the shooting sports with your skin, hands, and eyes intact. Maybe you won't. Your current approach is not throwing the odds in your favor that you will.

For those who come here with constructive intentions, here's why it's worth sharing information on loads that you have found work particularly well in your rifle: Perhaps the single most-important variable in load accuracy is barrel harmonics (ref. OBT theory). The composition, length, construction, and interface of DTA barrels are sufficiently similar between samples that an accurate load in one will likely be accurate in all others of the same length and caliber, even accounting for lot differences in reloading components.

This is why DTM can (in principle) assemble loads that shoot with greater precision in your DTA than any more generalized factory loads.

It's also why, when I find loads that work well in my barrels, I will share them. I think it's silly to make everybody burn through time and money running ladder tests to find the nodes of these guns.

And, if I ever get my hands on DTM ammo, I will disassemble a round and provide the following data:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]COAL[*]Case type, and/or water capacity[*]Powder weight[*]Powder type, as best as can be determined [/list]

And if I ever run a gun company that makes precision, premium rifles I will encourage reloaders to share information on loads with the best precision, because I would want my customers to get the best performance they can out of their guns.

Look, you are the one that appears to have posted here intent on "outing" a representative of a rifle/ammo manufacturer as somehow being uncooperative and not serving the potential market/user base as it should be served.

If you take your focus off of Russ, DTA, and DTM for a moment, go find specific examples of rifle or ammo manufacturers that have met YOUR standard as to how they should be serving their market/user base and document them for us here please.

Questions: Do/have you ever represented a respected player in this market space? Do you have any experience with product liability in general? In the area of explosive devices? From where have you derived your standards for how Russ/DTA/DTM should "serve" the marketplace? Have you looked at Remington? They sure make a lot of firearms AND ammunition - one would think THEY would be a better target of your attentions than DTA, given their market impact and numbers. Why not go after the big guys and try to get them to see things your way? The market impact would be much greater, don't you think?

I don't see what got you so excited: Russ, DTA employee, ended a helpful post on reloading saying, "Let me know if I can help with anything." I responded with a request I thought would be very helpful to a lot of people. Realizing the reluctance of many companies to provide such information, I addressed two of the most commonly cited concerns.

Russ/DTA responded. I disagree with their decision and I explained why.

The focus in this subthread is on Russ and DTA because this thread is about DTA and my OP was in response to one of his.

I have and will continue to encourage gun manufacturers to share more information. Russ and I can still be friends, and I hope he continues his constructive engagement with his company's customers.

_9H, rather than trolling the forums looking for subtle slights and berating those you find guilty, perhaps you could redeploy your energy towards more constructive posts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just measured for you. Its 2.970".

I have loaded for 308 and 6.5 CM. I have been unable to get close to using up all of the space even seating heavy 308s into the lands.

Ty </div></div>

That's strange, I just got my new .260 conversion kit and my mag measures 2.960", no way to shoot my 140 JLK's from this mag I need 2.970" just to seat to the lands. DTA's site claims 3.000" I think I am going to give DTA a call something is a miss here somewhere.

On a good note the new bolt design is one fine piece of work!
Sully </div></div>

402, I measured a bunch of my mags here at the shop and none of them are 3.000. So I went ahead and looked all over our site and never found anything claiming that measurement on the mags. Maybe I am missing something. Where did you see that?

For what it's worth you don't need to seat that JLK to the lands to make it shoot in the DTA. Im finishing load development on the .260 now, while not using the JLK we are getting some excellent performance out of like weight bullets.

Russ
DTA/DTM </div></div>

Russ,

Thanks for the reply, The something a miss is "me" I got my info mixed up my appologies and I should pay closer attention on what I post, but that's why I called DTA today and got it squared away you folk's are great to deal with!
Sully

Why don't you guys take it offline? This 56 page thread is a wealth of knowledge and it would suck to devote a few pages to an argument.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you guys take it offline? This 56 page thread is a wealth of knowledge and it would suck to devote a few pages to an argument. </div></div>

I second that. This is a great thread, and lets not derail it. If someone wants to ask about recipes, do it through PM.

Russ from DTM and the guys at DTA have been such a huge help with me lately.

Lets stay on topic, about how awesome these rifles are! :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just measured for you. Its 2.970".

I have loaded for 308 and 6.5 CM. I have been unable to get close to using up all of the space even seating heavy 308s into the lands.

Ty </div></div>

That's strange, I just got my new .260 conversion kit and my mag measures 2.960", no way to shoot my 140 JLK's from this mag I need 2.970" just to seat to the lands. DTA's site claims 3.000" I think I am going to give DTA a call something is a miss here somewhere.

On a good note the new bolt design is one fine piece of work!
Sully </div></div>

402, I measured a bunch of my mags here at the shop and none of them are 3.000. So I went ahead and looked all over our site and never found anything claiming that measurement on the mags. Maybe I am missing something. Where did you see that?

For what it's worth you don't need to seat that JLK to the lands to make it shoot in the DTA. Im finishing load development on the .260 now, while not using the JLK we are getting some excellent performance out of like weight bullets.

Russ
DTA/DTM </div></div>

Hay Russ, the part on the DTA site with the mag lengths is in the FAQ section.

4ac1786d81c95411ad06dec91817ed55.jpg

Mag length listed in FAQ section was posted years ago and may have gotten rounded. We can fix the webpage.

DTM loads are private property and will not be disclosed to anyone who is not an employee of DTM. We have spent years and hundreds of thousands of dollars developing them. We don't even allow our employees at DTA know what components that we use, all we provide is the projectile and velocity and that is how it is going to stay. If someone can't respect our choice to protect our investment then I don't care to respect their opinion of our choice.

That's fair enough Nick, why spend so much in development and have a product on the market that you can't sell as you have given the data away.

It's like KFC telling everyone how to make their herbs and spices at home.

Thank you Archaos. I didn't see that. I had been looking in the descriptions. Obviously Nick addressed it.

We are getting a lot of interest in some different calibers to be offered by DTA/DTM. So far, all of the projos i have tried are able to be mag feed with the DTA, they don't need to be jammed for best accuracy.

disclaimer: i have not shot the 140 JLK, but will be now just to see.

Thank you Archaos!
I forgot where I read that!

Russ,
Check your PM's I will be very interested to hear how the 140 JLK testing goes.
Sully

Joined the cool kid club today. Got a covert .308 and a 300 win mag srs conversion. So I got srs hand guard, muzzle brake, 3 mags, torque wrench, monopod and non monopod skin set. Besides optics, what else will I need?
Plan on using my atlas bipod, and a zeiss diarange for now....

Had to share this with you gents, too cool not to. This is from three days ago on the Utah elk hunt. I was shooting my Covert in 7SAUM, the shot was taken at 435yds, and seen at 40X, I forgot to zoom out so you could see the distance
frown.gif

As always, enjoy in 1080p

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fkqwU0gsRnU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fkqwU0gsRnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

here is the exit wound, right through the neck:
5DFA3DCC-1.jpg

The aftermath

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WNz5dx1tqa8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WNz5dx1tqa8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Any word on the "softer" butt pad. Shot 100 rounds of 338 Lapua a couple weeks ago and my collar bone is now healed.
smile.gif

Cold -

Nice shooting.

I wish everyone was hunting suppressed.

You have me thinking of converting over to a 7.

- Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cold -

Nice shooting.

I wish everyone was hunting suppressed.

You have me thinking of converting over to a 7.

- Rob </div></div>

They are hard to beat Rob! next time we shoot, I'll let you borrow it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scubadds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joined the cool kid club today. Got a covert .308 and a 300 win mag srs conversion. So I got srs hand guard, muzzle brake, 3 mags, torque wrench, monopod and non monopod skin set. Besides optics, what else will I need?
Plan on using my atlas bipod, and a zeiss diarange for now.... </div></div>

Sounds like a great setup....Just need some pics now

Is there any way to change out the safety to one that is not ambidextrous? Packing mine hunting this morning with the rifle across my chest it is not possible to keep safety engaged. The selector against my chest was always working it to fire position. I know answer will be don't carry with round chambered which is fine until you hit the trees and need to be able for quick shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thor2j</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the "softer" butt pad. Shot 100 rounds of 338 Lapua a couple weeks ago and my collar bone is now healed.
smile.gif
</div></div> For the love of god... YES... please tell me they are ready. I too shoot lots of 338 and this is getting ridiculous.

I agree on the buttpad. Call me a wimp, but I don't enjoy shooting 338 more than 5-6 times with the current setup.

It seems the buttpad, like the cheekpiece, is one of those things people either are dying for or is a non-issue. There seems to be no nuance or in-between.

Incidentally, has anyone tried replacing the buttpad spacers with some dense neoprene?

Nick has mentioned that there will be a butt pad upgrade in the future. I'm almost certain he has mentioned something about the adjustable cheek pad, and also there was someone here on the hide making a DTA stock cover that had an adjustable cheek pad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scubadds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joined the cool kid club today. Got a covert .308 and a 300 win mag srs conversion. So I got srs hand guard, muzzle brake, 3 mags, torque wrench, monopod and non monopod skin set. Besides optics, what else will I need?
Plan on using my atlas bipod, and a zeiss diarange for now....</div></div>

A DTA ring/base for your scope, a pile of ammo, and a big ass smile.

Ty

All I can say is aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Buttpads by Brian Muoio

Covers.jpg

Buttpad looks nice.
As I said a few posts up, I just got my DTA this week.
My scope is not here to put on, so I just threw on an eotech to have something to play with sighting in and cycling bolt a few times. I am naturally a lefty, but noticed I had grabbed the pistol grip lefty and the bolt right handed using my right eye (so got behind the gun like a righty, but had my hands backwards) It feels pretty good like that, I can cycle bolt well. Are there any strong disadvantages to trying to get used to shooting like that?? The eye switching is easy, and I can shoot it totally right handed, but this hybrid hold seems very fast..... just question if it might cause some unnatural hold to make shots push/pull? thanks for the patience on a random question

I am really busy at the moment and was wondering if you guys could share your loads for 300gr SMK for the 338LM? I usually would do a search on here but right now don't have the time. It would be very much appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Buttpads by Brian Muoio

Covers.jpg

</div></div>

Well good luck getting one I've had one (Coyote w/monopod) on order since January and was told by Brian that I would have it by the end of March, called him back to check status at the end of June then he told me he did these on the side sort of thing and that he would have it to me by the end of August. His web site is no longer and he doesn't answer the phone. I suggest if your needing something look elsewhere or come up with something on your own. Those that got them early on... Be happy!
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am really busy at the moment and was wondering if you guys could share your loads for 300gr SMK for the 338LM? I usually would do a search on here but right now don't have the time. It would be very much appreciated. </div></div>

Very doubtful that DTA Munitions will share their loads.....

I might be off base here, but I don't think he was asking for DTMs load data. Just asking the general DTA community for info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be off base here, but I don't think he was asking for DTMs load data. Just asking the general DTA community for info. </div></div>

You are on the right base. I recall reading a some time ago about some loads and my google fu is weak right now.

402, Kinda makes you wish DTA had designed the stock like the German DSR-1 rifle with an adjustable height cheek piece. Certain somebody will step up and fill the niche given the popularity of this rifle system.

OK, I think I screwed the pooch here. This long range bolt gun stuff is new to me as I am a AR guy.

I bought a Spuhr 34mm mount (4801) for my DTA. It is 44moa. My scope is a S&B 5-25 P4F.

I got the 44moa solely thinking about my .338LM kit although I use the .308 kit 90% of the time.

Now I have two problems. One actual, one hypothetical.

The objective lens touches the rail. Just barely but it does. I know this is bad.

I have a shop available to me. Is shaving down some of the rail a good fix or should I just get a 20.3 moa mount and/or a higher ring?

If the shave fix is OK, (I like how low the scope sits to the bore) does the S&B have enough internal adjustment in a 44moa mount to make it useable under 300 yds?

Like I said. More money than brains. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: conndcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I think I screwed the pooch here. This long range bolt gun stuff is new to me as I am a AR guy.

I bought a Spuhr 34mm mount (4801) for my DTA. It is 44moa. My scope is a S&B 5-25 P4F.

I got the 44moa solely thinking about my .338LM kit although I use the .308 kit 90% of the time.

The objective lens touches the rail. Just barely but it does. I know this is bad.

I have a shop available to me. Is shaving down some of the rail a good fix or should I just get a 20.3 moa mount and/or a higher ring?

If the shave fix is OK, (I like how low the scope sits to the bore) does the S&B have enough internal adjustment in a 44moa mount to make it useable under 300 yds?

Like I said. More money than brains. Thanks. </div></div>

Trying shifting the scope a lttle in the mount there's not a ton of room to wiggle but it may be enough. If you're running the Mil/Mil PM II you may just have enough. I'm running the 20 MOA Spuhr on my DTA PMA and out of 26 mil I only have 16 that I can use even zeroing at 100 with my 6.5 and .338

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: conndcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I have two problems. One actual, one hypothetical. </div></div>

Counselor, you're not the only one who's had that exact setup and problem. My solution was a 40MOA version of the DTA rings:

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/access...cope-rings.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: conndcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I think I screwed the pooch here. This long range bolt gun stuff is new to me as I am a AR guy.

Like ss10ring suggested, try scooting the scope back in the mount. I have the same setup with the SP-4802 mount with no problems clearing my S&B. The scope cap did rub the rail so I filed that down (just the cap) and now no issues.

Anyone have experience with the DTA SRS shooting mat/drag bag or a link to a review? Seems to be little info out there on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have experience with the DTA SRS shooting mat/drag bag or a link to a review? Seems to be little info out there on it. </div></div>

By the time I fill the mag pouches and stash my conversion set & Seekonk, I have no <span style="font-style: italic">protected</span> place for binocs, NV clip-on, Kestrel/microtripod and [future] LRF/Nomad. It would also be nice to have an exposed bandolier to stash odd rounds.

I do not miss Camelback reservoir because I would never want an immersion event from a leak. I like the multiple carrying options of hand, shoulder strap, and backpack setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have experience with the DTA SRS shooting mat/drag bag or a link to a review? Seems to be little info out there on it. </div></div>

Well, at least I can trade you info. I have the soft case mat in CB. Although spendy, it is very well made. It will hold a scoped rifle, an entire extra caliber kit, a suppressor, cleaning rod, and has pouches for extra mags, wrenches and other small things.

I really don't use it as a mat. I got the soft case instead of the hard only because it takes up less room in the truck and since it has shoulder straps, I can sling it on at the range leaving my hands free to carry the extra crap I tend to lug with me.

I wouldn't consider it a drag bag but then again I don't need it for that. Hope this helps some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: conndcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I think I screwed the pooch here. This long range bolt gun stuff is new to me as I am a AR guy.

Like ss10ring suggested, try scooting the scope back in the mount. I have the same setup with the SP-4802 mount with no problems clearing my S&B. The scope cap did rub the rail so I filed that down (just the cap) and now no issues. </div></div>

Are you describing these problems/solutions with or without 4" sunshade, 2" ARD, and/or which brand of objective covers?

<span style="color: red">errors corrected in red</span>

My S&B 5-25 with S&B 2" ARD and Tenebraex cover clears the rail by almost <span style="color: red">2</span>mm with the 6mil/20.6moa Spuhr 4<span style="color: red">6</span>02.