• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Had an excellent response today from DTA warranty department. They are swapping the extension that doesn't work for a new one and they are replacing FOR FREE a couple very small parts that I admitted losing and OFFERED TO PAY FOR!!

My ATACS "Lights Out" DTA Gen1 Covert should be done next week!!!

Drop free mags?

First off, have to say thanks to all. This has been a very helpful thread to read up on for folks just about to take the DTA plunge.

I picked up an Srs a few months ago, (gen2, build date Nov 2012) in 338 lpm. Being a non reloading east coaster with limited distance at most of my ranges, 338 never was a practical choice for me. My plan was to swap it for a 308 once I found one available, which I just did. Someday I'll probably pick up a 300winmag instead of the 338.

My 338 mags dropped free and easy. The 308 not so much, which is puzzling as I believe the housing is the same for all calibers? It takes two hands, one on the mag release with the firing hand forcefully pulling out the mag. Jostles me all out of my firing position and generally causes a rapid string of profanity. This is loaded or empty.

What gives? Are there older gens of mags that I may have got along with my 308 kit? I've gently polished other steel magazines in the past for slicker drops but those were sliding into steel or aluminum wells. Not sure if it would help going into polymer.

Anyone have similar experience?

Anyone wanna trade me their covert handguard for my standard SRS quad rail handguard?

Anyone have similar experience?

That's really odd. I have both generations of mags (early 2009 spot welded and newer full length welded), in both standard and magnum, and haven't had that issue. Can you determine where it's hanging up?

They just seem to be universally tighter all the way around, as when inserted the entire mag makes contact with the interior of well. It just doesn't make sense as to why... One ships with the conversion, and for now I picked up one spare. I had 5 of the magnum mags for the lapua and they all dropped clean. I went as far as loosening up the body panels around the well thinking maybe they were torqued a little too tight and squeezing the two halves, but to no avail. I'm thinking the coating on the mags maybe just a smidge heavy. The finish feels that way.... .

Not loosing sleep over a it, but it's mildly irritating!

Just exchanged some .308 mags the had similar problem, they were new but purchased some time ago. QC determined they were out of specification ( a small batch some time back had some tolerances out of spec fit tight) DTA supplied new magazines that work perfect.

Thanks,
I bet that's it. Upon closer inspection, it the lips that seem to hang. I'll contact warranty.

I'm gonna be doing some work with more handguard and am wondering how I'm going to get it off. I do not have the specific wrench for the job. I'm sure someone else has gotten these off with other means. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, does anyone know how long a DTA covert handguard is?

Last edited:
Look back in the past 10 pages. Someone said they are attempting to engineer a tool that makes it easier to remove the handguard. I cannot recall the guys name.

I'm just curious, maybe I missed it. But does anyone actually have one of the new A1's in hand. DTA says that they have shipped some and there are a couple web sites that shows them in stock, but I don't see anyone talking about them and I' still waiting for mine. Anyone have any info?

I'm just curious, maybe I missed it. But does anyone actually have one of the new A1's in hand. DTA says that they have shipped some and there are a couple web sites that shows them in stock, but I don't see anyone talking about them and I' still waiting for mine. Anyone have any info?

Ditto. I would also like to know and I have one ordered (pre SHOT Show) as well.

Stuck 338 LM Barrell - Has anyone had (and hopefully resolved) this issue.

I have 2 conversions. 260 Rem and 338LM. I have been shooting 260 Rem since I had the SRS. However, for Father's Day, I received dies for 338LM. So, as I put the 338LM barrel on for the first time, it went in, but was a bit snug compared to the 260 Rem. Long story short, I can't get that 338LM Barrel out.

I loosen the 4 torque screws.
I unlock it.
I get about 1/16 of an inch of play.. I can't get it to budge.

Any help would be appreciated from those of you with years of experience.
It is a Gen 2

Thanks.

Yes, they are shipping. People are getting them. It's up to them to post up and let you know their thoughts. I was able to snag a factory second Covert Hand guard so I'm now running one.

Disclaimer: Guys, don't call asking for factory seconds or blems. They aren't going to sell them to you. There are very few and when they do come about they are destroyed or used on factory demo guns depending on severity.

Russ W

Stuck 338 LM Barrell - Has anyone had (and hopefully resolved) this issue.

I have 2 conversions. 260 Rem and 338LM. I have been shooting 260 Rem since I had the SRS. However, for Father's Day, I received dies for 338LM. So, as I put the 338LM barrel on for the first time, it went in, but was a bit snug compared to the 260 Rem. Long story short, I can't get that 338LM Barrel out.

I loosen the 4 torque screws.
I unlock it.
I get about 1/16 of an inch of play.. I can't get it to budge.

Any help would be appreciated from those of you with years of experience.
It is a Gen 2

Thanks.

Not to be a Jerk..... Make sure its unlocked. then make sure again. Don't laugh. We have had a rifle sent in that just wasn't unlocked. Open your bolt! Don't laugh, I have had a call and literally had to tell a guy to open his bolt.....silence.... I'm a dumb ass, thanks Russ. You Arrrrrrree Welcome.

If those are both good, put the butt of the rifle on the ground, put your foot on the mono pod and pull that sucker..... if no go. Call Warranty on Monday.

Hope it helps.

Yes, they are shipping. People are getting them. It's up to them to post up and let you know their thoughts. I was able to snag a factory second Covert Hand guard so I'm now running one.

Disclaimer: Guys, don't call asking for factory seconds or blems. They aren't going to sell them to you. There are very few and when they do come about they are destroyed or used on factory demo guns depending on severity.

Russ W

Russ
Thanks for the info, but I've heard this before. My rifle was supposed to ship in March, and every time I call to get an update I'm told it will be 2 weeks and 2 weeks still has not come yet. I just think its odd that no one has posted about it. People are always eager to talk about there new toys. With all the hype and the long wait you would think that someone would post about it if they had one, I know I will when I finally get mine.

Some of us are waiting on small parts that were supposed to arrive in feb. does anyone else see the coincidence in NFA/DTA? Like all my NFA orders, I attempt to forget about them once ordered. I now do the same with DTA. I suggest we all do that so our blood pressure remains stable. We will all get our goods in due time, and once we do, it will be worth the wait. Just be happy your name isn't Johnny and today you decided to buy a DTA. Johnny is gonna be waiting a year!!!

Some of us are waiting on small parts that were supposed to arrive in feb. does anyone else see the coincidence in NFA/DTA? Like all my NFA orders, I attempt to forget about them once ordered. I now do the same with DTA. I suggest we all do that so our blood pressure remains stable. We will all get our goods in due time, and once we do, it will be worth the wait. Just be happy your name isn't Johnny and today you decided to buy a DTA. Johnny is gonna be waiting a year!!!

That' exactly why I went a different route. I wish I had the patience to wait that long but waiting 3 months for a custom build is long enough for me. I should have just bought a used gen 2!

I'm happy to wait for mine as long as it takes. Ordered mine Feb. 28th and have plenty of weapons to play with until it comes. Also waiting on Nightforce BEAST to adorn it. It will be interesting to see which arrives first. I'll let you guys know the first day either shows up.

I know that they are probably being held up by some other vendor that is short on components, but I was always taught that if you tell someone that you are going to do something by a certain time frame you do it come hell or high water. I'm just saying if it's going to 6 months then tell me and I won't be expecting it sooner. That being said I know that I'm going to be happier than a kid at Christmas when it finally does get here. I guess I'm just going to have to not think about it until that magical day arrives.

By the looks of their shop from a video posted awhile ago, I'd probably say that they manufactur each component themselves. They were hit with a hell of a lot of orders. Everyone wants the latest and greatest no matter the cost.

guys i know damn well the machines at DTA are not silent, and there isn't some magical pit of despair that all the new guns are going into. I know Nick cares a LOT about the reputation of his company and wants to get each and every one of you your guns as soon as he can. If they are not there its for a good reason. The A1's will be awesome and i'm sure you guys will love em. Hate to say it just like every other delay thread for any other company but be patient, those DTA boys work their ass off trust me.

The last time I called DTA they said that they were contracting some of the component out to other companies to speed up build time. If they did it may not be working out like they had hoped. Getting parts in from other shops that are in spec in a timely fashion can be a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't believe in DTA and their product because I do. That's why they are getting my hard earned money and not someone else. I guess I'm just letting my eagerness to play with my new toy get the best of me. I've said it before, I would rather my gun take a little longer to get to me and be right the first time than to get it and just have to send it back for repair. I'm not trying to trash talk DTA just venting a little.

Not to be a Jerk..... Make sure its unlocked. then make sure again. Don't laugh. We have had a rifle sent in that just wasn't unlocked. Open your bolt! Don't laugh, I have had a call and literally had to tell a guy to open his bolt.....silence.... I'm a dumb ass, thanks Russ. You Arrrrrrree Welcome.

If those are both good, put the butt of the rifle on the ground, put your foot on the mono pod and pull that sucker..... if no go. Call Warranty on Monday.

Hope it helps.

Russ,

Thank you. (Too new to the sport to even worry about you being a jerk :) ) I checked the lock many, many times.

I huff and I puffed and I finally pulled it out. I will be recovering for the next week. However, before I went for the Bengay and the heating pad, I looked down the barrel less, bolt less frame.. I don't see an obstructions. I also tried the 260 Rem barrel; it went in like butter, no issues. I tried the 338LM, still gets stuck 2 inches from proper placement. I looked at the barrel's, compared the two.. they look the same to the untrained eye.

I will give DTA a call tomorrow. Thanks again for your assistance.

Guys,
We care very much about our delivery timeline and taking care of our customers. We like many others were bombarted with a huge amount of orders and it didn't take very long before weeks turned into months and months turned into a year. We have substantially increased our production volume but for the effects of the increase to hit the market then it takes several months because we manufacture most items in house. We have had to outsource several non-critical parts but they undergo our quality inspection procedures just like when we made parts in house. I agree wholeheartedly with Razor74 a company should be honest and deliver when they say but unfortunately this is the situation we are in and trying very hard to correct and we expect by the end of the year we will be caught up to a point where delivery times return to 30 - 45 days. We do appreciate everyones patience and your guns are all we focus on believe me.

We are however looking additional machinists if any of you local boys want a job. :)

Does anyone know what the external thread pitch is on the QD brake? It looks like 1"-14 but something tells me I'm wrong.

Did anyone recieve their HTI dirty as Hell?Took about 20 patches coming out pure blue to get it partially clean. My buddies rifle was clean as a whistle. Test firing is expected but had to have had about 50 rds put through this one. Anyone else have the same thing?

Did anyone recieve their HTI dirty as Hell?Took about 20 patches coming out pure blue to get it partially clean. My buddies rifle was clean as a whistle. Test firing is expected but had to have had about 50 rds put through this one. Anyone else have the same thing?

Hey brother, a dirty rifle in hand is better than no rifle at all. At this point I would be vary happy to have mine clean or dirty.

All weapons are test fired. NO RIFLE is fired that many times. If your buddy got a clean barrel, he is welcome. If I tested a barrel, it was shot 5-10 times to test the lot of barrels in that shipment, then I clean them as a courtesy. If you got a dirty barrel, it was test fired 2-3 times and they do not clean the barrels for two reasons. 1. Time, and obviously we don't have any extra of that as you guys know. 2. As a courtesy to the customer, some guys are extremely critical as to how the barrels are handled. We don't want to take that away from anyone and want you to shoot and clean the barrel without wondering where the life began and how it was cleaned.

I repeat, nobody get s new barrel from DTA with a bunch of rounds through it.

Since the barrels are not tied to the chassis are the test fired in the chassis we got with them or in your own chassis and what about the barrel conversions. I have one coming with a 308 and 338 barrel. Will either or both be tested in my chassis? And if I'm getting it through eurooptic does that change it?

Not complaining at all. I am happy to have the rifle in hand. I have put 30 to 40 rds through my windrunner and have not had that many pure blue patches come out. It was exactly 19 blue patches (using shooters choice). The only reason I asked was the only other rifle I had to compare it to was clean. The approximate round count was in comparison to what I am used to seeing from my current 50 during cleaning.

I got my .308 Covert barrel today and got my rifle together. I am super happy with how it looks. Here it is next to a 7.5in barreled AR pistol. Will hopefully get it to the range in the next few days to see if it shoots as good as it looks(I'm sure it will).

Last edited:
I've had my SRS for just a month or so. So far I've only shot my 308 conversion. Around 60 rounds total.

My hand guard has some slop in it like it worked itself loose. Do I need a tool to tighten this of is it as simple as tightening the allen screw on the top of the hand guard? If so should I remove the screw and apply blue locktite first?

Please advise.

Since the barrels are not tied to the chassis are the test fired in the chassis we got with them or in your own chassis and what about the barrel conversions. I have one coming with a 308 and 338 barrel. Will either or both be tested in my chassis? And if I'm getting it through eurooptic does that change it?

Not likely, All chassis are function fired and all barrels are test fired. No promises that yours will be fired together. Conversions by themselves are fired through shop guns generally. Obviously if there are 5 chassis and 5 conversions that need to be shot, it makes sense to just pair them up and shoot them.

Not complaining at all. I am happy to have the rifle in hand. I have put 30 to 40 rds through my windrunner and have not had that many pure blue patches come out. It was exactly 19 blue patches (using shooters choice). The only reason I asked was the only other rifle I had to compare it to was clean. The approximate round count was in comparison to what I am used to seeing from my current 50 during cleaning.

Wasn't meaning to call you a complainer buckskin, apologies if it came across that way. I just don't want someone thinking we go out and blast away with these things.

Shoot straight.

I've had my SRS for just a month or so. So far I've only shot my 308 conversion. Around 60 rounds total.

My hand guard has some slop in it like it worked itself loose. Do I need a tool to tighten this of is it as simple as tightening the allen screw on the top of the hand guard? If so should I remove the screw and apply blue locktite first?

Please advise.

Cox, please call warranty. 801-975-7272

Not likely, All chassis are function fired and all barrels are test fired. No promises that yours will be fired together. Conversions by themselves are fired through shop guns generally. Obviously if there are 5 chassis and 5 conversions that need to be shot, it makes sense to just pair them up and shoot them.

Russ, thanks for the answer, that makes a lot of sense. The logistics of matching everything up could get a little complicated. Also the fact that some of you guys are on here answering our questions makes me feel better about how much money I am sending your way. Of course the draw back is the more time I spend here the more barrel conversions I want to get.

Please advise.

You will need to remove the key on the top of the handguard and put blue locktight on the receiver threads then reinstall the hand guard. That will take out any play very nicely. This is what our warranty dept will do anyway.

You will need to remove the key on the top of the handguard and put blue locktight on the receiver threads then reinstall the hand guard. That will take out any play very nicely. This is what our warranty dept will do anyway.

Ok. I've done what you said above. It is all back together now and it is still very loose. It appears that I am waiting for the locktite to dry to be what holds the rail solid. I would expect something a little more out of a $3500 chassis. I'll be calling warranty dept. in the AM. Hopefully they can offer more than just a locktite fix:confused:

Ok. I've done what you said above. It is all back together now and it is still very loose. It appears that I am waiting for the locktite to dry to be what holds the rail solid. I would expect something a little more out of a $3500 chassis. I'll be calling warranty dept. in the AM. Hopefully they can offer more than just a locktite fix:confused:

cox308,
Please be aware that it takes 24 hours for lock-tight to dry, I am not sure if you waited that long before handling it. If you did wait the 24hrs and still have play then please call our warranty department because there may be excessive timing issue with your hand-guard. The use of lock-tight does not cheapen a product sir. Most of the fasteners on our rifles use lock-tight to ensure they do not back out or have play in them. Liquid compounds/epoxies have an important place in production assemblies, every conventional rifle with a bedded action uses a liquid bedding material. Putting lock-tight on the hard-guard threads makes it significantly more stable than just torquing it down, of course we could cheapen the product and put an ugly lock ring on it like with AR's. I was just trying to help you avoid shipping costs for something that could be resolved easily by an end user. It gets old trying to assist people on non-company sponsored forums. Next time I would recommend that you just call our warranty dept to start with.

It gets old trying to assist people on non-company sponsored forums.

I can't imagine. I would be tempted to put warranty contact info as my sig lol. Just know that for every one person that is a PITA there are a ton reading about their problem(on this thread) and won't have to contact warranty if the same arises for them. I don't like to speak for others but i think it's safe to say that there are a lot of people on this forum who very much appreciate the connection DTA staff maintains with the customers.

I've been drooling over DTA rifles for years and was finally able to get one a couple months ago. There have been a couple hang ups but DTA customer service has been great and made everything right. The level of communication I've had with the DTA staff has been above and beyond what I've experienced with any other company. Russ and Josh in particular have went out of their way to be very helpful.

I took my Covert barrel out today for the first time and it shot one ragged hole right off the bat. Got my load chrono'd and in the tablet/kestrel ready to go. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to shoot lighter varmint bullets through their 16" 1-8 twist Covert barrel? I'm wanting to try some 110gr Vmax's but think they'll be too light and possibly frag, which I do not want to happen inside my suppressor. Would be nice to use the 110gr Vmax on some coyotes and maybe even prairie dogs on a trip I'm going on next month.

Russ, your awesome, just noticed DTM has loads on Ballistic AE app. Keep up the good work sir.

I don't like to speak for others but i think it's safe to say that there are a lot of people on this forum who very much appreciate the connection DTA staff maintains with the customers.

The level of communication I've had with the DTA staff has been above and beyond what I've experienced with any other company.

Russ and Josh in particular have went out of their way to be very helpful.

+1 on all the above.

Especially Russ, he has helped me through a ton of newbie DTA shit. Both while he was "on duty" and "off".

You got a good employee in him ney1.

Yeah sometimes I get a bit growtchy. We are creating a classroom section on our blog. It would be nice for you guys to provide a list of questions you would want answered or things you would like us to demonstrate or teach you guys on videos.

Btw. I agree Russ is great. He is one of the few who shares my passion for making tomorrow's firearms and ammunition. We are living the dream but in the dream we had components for ammunition and enough production capacity to fill our demand.

Last edited:
Yeah sometimes I get a bit growtchy. We are creating a classroom section on our blog. It would be nice for you guys to provide a list of questions you would want answered or things you would like us to demonstrate or teach you guys on videos.

I'd be interested to learn some unorthodox shooting positions with SRS/Covert. Also, do you torque screws from front to rear or rear to front when securing a barrel? Does it matter? If so, Why?