• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the Desert Tech MDR!

DTA-MDR.jpg
Well at least their thinking about the LH crowd with the Ambidextrous controls and ejection port, but this doesn't help the unfortunate shooters living in the Communist led states of America.
where Semi's are illegal, but bolt actions are OK (for now).

This is my last nagging post here on this subject. You guys are the best knowledge base I have on this. I am looking to add a 6.5 of some sort for my DTA. Currently only have the 300 WM. And love it. There is a lot of trash out there on this. Which one has the most availability? The closest ballistics to 300 WM (read that 6.5 Creedmoor was developed specifically for this)? As far as conversions what is needed for me to have my smith put a barrel together? Guessing .308 bolt, mag and a barrel extension? Really wanting a 22" barrel for this since I am running the standard size instead of covert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my last nagging post here on this subject. You guys are the best knowledge base I have on this. I am looking to add a 6.5 of some sort for my DTA. Currently only have the 300 WM. And love it. There is a lot of trash out there on this. Which one has the most availability? The closest ballistics to 300 WM (read that 6.5 Creedmoor was developed specifically for this)? As far as conversions what is needed for me to have my smith put a barrel together? Guessing .308 bolt, mag and a barrel extension? Really wanting a 22" barrel for this since I am running the standard size instead of covert.

I've got a 6.5X47 barrel for mine. I use the standard .308 bolt and mag and bought a standard barrel extension (mine is a gen 1). The barrel is 26" and I use my 338 Lapua suppressor. The mag works great with this one so it shouldn't have any issues with the creedmore or the 260 rem. I'm very pleased with the 6.5.....

Frank

The 6.5 creedmoor is the only one which you'll find an abundance of factory match-grade ammo which I've not seen shoot poorly in anything yet. A 260 can be pushed a tiny bit harder due to the availability of lapua brass. However, it isn't always "available."

The weak point with 6.5CM is the hornady brass. Once sorted and culled, that problem generally goes away. If you look at a 260 next to a 6.5CM, you'll see which one has the more modern design. The 260rem really shines in AI configuration. That picks you up another 100fps or so, and really gets those 264 bullets cruising out there.
So for a turn-key 6.5, it's tough to ignore the creedmoor. If 260 is what you're after, then don't piddle around, AI it and really have something. We sell a pile of 6.5CM barrels for DTA and have only done a handful of 260rem.

metal shavings

Guys DTA support helped me resolve this. The issue was a small burr on the bolt guide. This was shaving off the aluminum on the bolt raceway. I took a small diamond sharpener (worked like a file) to it and works great - and much smoother running bolt as well.

Just wanted to give a followup in case it helps anyone else.

Hey guys, if any of you have been holding out on the short 18" .338LM barrel thinking that it'll under perform....don't! I'm getting impressive accuracy with the same loads I've been using in my 26" barrel (300 scenar w 92.7gr N570 at 3.735") and I'm only losing about 200fps. There's a slightly different POI shift but groups are identical at 1/2 MOA. I shot 3 shots to determine the offset, then shot two 5 shot groups for accuracy and they're all touching. Then I worked on 12" steel discs at 400 and 600 yards, getting tight groups that I could cover with my palm. The blast is pretty significant, so I can't wait to get it back to suppressor-friendly NZ, but overall I'm really impressed with this shorty.

Looking forward to watching a video of a left hand shooter, shooting an MDR. Does the shell casing eject under and forward of his cheek?

What's the semi auto MDR rifle doing in the bolt action section anyway ?
I'm still waiting to hear about a lefty bolt action from DTA, that would've been bigger news than another semi auto rifle getting unveiled at SHOT.

did i miss what calbr that new peace was coming with or multi cal? wel i still have plenty of room in the safe, so bring it on! hell i can't stop staring at the new rifle that just came, and their coming with more new ones. il post some pics when we go pop her cherry in a few weeks. one thought though, can anyone tell me what is that plastic peace with the rubber orange o ring and screw in it is? looks like an end cap of sort?

It's not just me then. :) I'd like to keep this question alive.

Deserttech insiders: 10 rounders ever to be reality or always to be a myth??

Thank you :)

Had a semi auto bullpup as my issue weapon for more than 2 decades. Yawn.

Now; 10 round mags for DTAs. Long promised. No action.
Is this going to change? :)

Hey guys, I just picked up a new Covert A1 with the factory 16" 308 conversion kit. I'm looking at the shoulder thread and it seems to be flush with the forearm. I have a Tbac 338p-1 direct thread can with 5/8x24 thread pitch. I need to send my barrel off to get it rethreaded. But it seems like the back of the suppressor is going to touch the rail. So should I get it re-threaded or get the adaptor from Delta-P to extend it a little to clear the rails?

did i miss what calbr that new peace was coming with or multi cal? wel i still have plenty of room in the safe, so bring it on! hell i can't stop staring at the new rifle that just came, and their coming with more new ones. il post some pics when we go pop her cherry in a few weeks. one thought though, can anyone tell me what is that plastic peace with the rubber orange o ring and screw in it is? looks like an end cap of sort?

The plastic piece with the screw and rubber o ring is probably the bore guide for cleaning the rifle.

I have a couple DTA 6.5 Creedmoor conversions in stock right now. I have been running a DTA .260 for 2 years and it shoots incredible. During load development with 139 Scenars (the only bullet I have shot through my DTA) everything was under 1/2 MOA. I had a couple loads that produced 1/8 MOA bug hole groups. Unless you need a different thread pitch on the muzzle (all DTA barrels are in 3/4X24) you cannot go wrong with a Factory DTA Barrel.

Hey guys, I just picked up a new Covert A1 with the factory 16" 308 conversion kit. I'm looking at the shoulder thread and it seems to be flush with the forearm. I have a Tbac 338p-1 direct thread can with 5/8x24 thread pitch. I need to send my barrel off to get it rethreaded. But it seems like the back of the suppressor is going to touch the rail. So should I get it re-threaded or get the adaptor from Delta-P to extend it a little to clear the rails?

If I was in your shoes I would do this... might cost a little bit more due to the adaptor purchase, but after that everything else can remain as is without modification. Even if you did recut the threads to meet the suppressor on hand, you still have the clearance issue with the handguard. I see the Delta P adaptor as a win win in your situation.

I do think that the DT factory barrels should be a little longer to accommodate suppressor compatibility and to reduce interference with various suppressor covers. We've sold quite a lot of custom barrels as a result of this.

During load development with 139 Scenars (the only bullet I have shot through my DTA) everything was under 1/2 MOA. I had a couple loads that produced 1/8 MOA bug hole groups. Unless you need a different thread pitch on the muzzle (all DTA barrels are in 3/4X24) you cannot go wrong with a Factory DTA Barrel.
Would you be willing to share the loads you've come up with?

The old 140AMAX/H4350 combo is tough to beat in 6.5CM... but I've been experimenting with 123AMAX and varget with some good results. The heavies beat up on it as you get past 800yds, but for a closer crossover hunting/LR load... it does well. I ran into my load at 39.5gr Varget.

I did the 30ba which has it's own mount on the muzzle brake. I know this doesn't help you and hindsight is 20/20 but it's an option if you got a new suppressor.

I will try to do a video explanation of it, deburring the barrels shoulder with a file will not void the warranty, but if you stick it in a lathe and go to town with it will.

Thanks

Nick

Okay So it's the shoulders on the Barrel not inside the chassis? lol See how lost I am =/

I posted HERE: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-blow-up-me-my-dta-hti-today.html#post2897259

about some hot factory loads and a ruptured case that pulled my HTI extractor out at the range today, for those who may be interested. Lots of pics.

ETA, as I think of this more, this load may have pushed the extractor out during explosion, but I'll leave it to the DTA guys to comment on the possible mechanism of what happened.

Last edited:
Nv869zG.jpg

Sww8UbU.jpg

MiT0X38l.jpg

FINALLY!! My .260 REM showed up!! Now I have to wait 11 days to go out and play with it ahah! Gotta love Kalifornia :D

congrats bro!!! i just got all mine few days ago. and yes waited my ten days too. breaking her down and cleaning it all right now!! looks good though takes awhile too sink in that it came lololol

See you all tomorrow at 1800. I'll try to get a table/chairs. I'll put some DTA literature on our table to help it stand out.
That ain't how this shit works Russ. Shame on you. Manufacturers buy dealers drinks. Dealers buy customers drinks. ... an customers, they buy the stuff we sell so that can happen! hahaha

;)

Hey guys has anyone installed a monopod, or do ya'll send them to DTA? I would be interested in learning how you installed it yourself. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys has anyone installed a monopod, or do ya'll send them to DTA? I would be interested in learning how you installed it yourself. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, easy as pie if your receiver is already tapped for it, just remove the skins, screw it in place and put the new skins back on.

I believe they only sell the monopod kit with new skins already cut for monopod. You could certainly dremel your existing skins to accommodate a monopod if you can get a monopod w/o skins.

Mine has the tapped receiver, but do you just cut the skins?

The latch assembly for the buttpad is different for the monopod mounted skins. I'm sure you could cut away the bottom of your skins and make it work but you'd have to come up with a different latch for the buttpad.....
When I bought my monopod the skins were part of the cost so its not like you're going to save any cash by not getting them. The monopod made a huge difference in my shooting and is worth every cent.

Frank

So another thing is I lost the one of the screw on my adjustable cheek piece. Anyone have an extra laying around DTA doesn't sell them individually but if I pay 90+ bucks I can get an extra parts kit and it might be in there........

Does anyone know if the new gas gun is supposed to be an assault/battle rifle or something more like a precision designated marksman rifle?

Am I the only one interested in that chassis they were going to reveal as well? I'm kinda expecting a bullpup Remington 700 chassis. That'd be awesome, wouldn't it?

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

Believe they called it the SWORD, always wondered what happened to it.

Am I the only one interested in that chassis they were going to reveal as well? I'm kinda expecting a bullpup Remington 700 chassis. That'd be awesome, wouldn't it?

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
It would be awesome, and it would also be awesome if they revealed anything there for the Left hand crowd too.
I've been hearing the SOS of getting caught up in orders, but they've had enough time to put out two more generations of rifles, skins and acces , plus design + build a semi auto rifle that's ambi .
I guess I'm a little hard headed and didn't understand they were saying FU to the lefty crowd in a nice way.
Sorry for the rant, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for some good news before they ban all firearms in New York.

It would be awesome, and it would also be awesome if they revealed anything there for the Left hand crowd too.
I've been hearing the SOS of getting caught up in orders, but they've had enough time to put out two more generations of rifles, skins and acces , plus design + build a semi auto rifle that's ambi .
I guess I'm a little hard headed and didn't understand they were saying FU to the lefty crowd in a nice way.
Sorry for the rant, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for some good news before they ban all firearms in New York.

Totally agree.