• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Has anyone purchased a Covert and wish they would have bought the A-1 instead? Also is anyone running a 16" 308 barrel in an A-1 chassis?

Last edited:
Anyone else have trouble getting ahold of DT customer service?
Sent them Emails and Don has always responded with 24 hours. They have been great. Sent my SRS A1 in for some service and will let you know how things work out. The Emial service address is found on their website under contact.

Has anyone purchased a Covert and wish they would have bought the A-1 instead? Also is anyone running a 16" 308 barrel in an A-1 chassis?

Well technically they both are A-1. The covert is perfect for me I actually run a 22" on mine and I don't think I'll ever need that extra rail length unless I wanted to attach night vision. I've carried a M16 on my back for 10 months straight in Afghanistan. When I took a class 2 months ago I slung this on my back and it felt so natural. I don't think it would of been the same if I didn't have the covert. Different stokes for different folks.

Well technically they both are A-1. The covert is perfect for me I actually run a 22" on mine and I don't think I'll ever need that extra rail length unless I wanted to attach night vision. I've carried a M16 on my back for 10 months straight in Afghanistan. When I took a class 2 months ago I slung this on my back and it felt so natural. I don't think it would of been the same if I didn't have the covert. Different stokes for different folks.

Thanks Mike,

I like the idea of Covert also, but everything has a trade off.
1. Are you less stable off a bipod with the Covert, because of it being so compact?
2. how is it to shoot off hand? would the longer foregrip help?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will be shooting one of these soon.

I run a A1 Covert with a 16" 308 Barrel. I like the compactness and I chose it so I could run a suppressor and still keep it short. I have no issues running 26" and 28" barrels off of a bipod. Only reason I would consider the longer forearm is to run a rail mounted NV.

Thanks Mike,

1. Are you less stable off a bipod with the Covert, because of it being so compact?

I run the bipod in the middle of my rail on my non-covert. I like it closer so I can make adjustments to the bipods from behind the rifle.

Anyone else have trouble getting ahold of DT customer service?

View attachment 34147View attachment 34148i emailed desert tech last monday and i'm calling tomorrow because i haven't got a response yet, but there is no adjustment screw in the front of the trigger for creep adjustment. i just thought i would post here to see if anyone knows if its a change in design or i have received a bad unit. to add to this, the safety is super light and floats around when its on fire and cocked, and when its uncocked. if you shake the rifle a little bit or walk around with it you can hear it moving around. the last thing is where the round sits in the chamber it's kinda chewed up on the right hand side. the black coating is scraped off where the head of the case seats. its a desert tech srs a1 in 308 with a 22" barrel. there is no one else around here that i know of that has one that i could look at for reference thank you for your help
Just talked to Ryan at DT and they made some prototypes without the creep adjust. I'm sending it back to have a new trigger assembly installed. He said the loose safety was part of it. The chamber finish being scraped he said was probably due to a burr and they are going to fix that too. Customer service was great, must of have just gotten mixed up a little bit with emails and voicemails. Ryan went and talked to the shop manager and he's personally going to handle the issues with my rig. If anyone else has problems with customer service shoot them a message via Facebook and that will help. thanks to Seth and Ryan at DT

I run a A1 Covert with a 16" 308 Barrel. I like the compactness and I chose it so I could run a suppressor and still keep it short. I have no issues running 26" and 28" barrels off of a bipod. Only reason I would consider the longer forearm is to run a rail mounted NV.

I run the bipod in the middle of my rail on my non-covert. I like it closer so I can make adjustments to the bipods from behind the rifle.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm nervous about spending the coin on a new to me platform, but I hear to many good things about the DTA's to not give it a try.

Thanks Mike,

I am very solid with the bipod being closer to me. Unless i'm shooting in the kneeling or standing which is rarely I don't use the foregrip. My second hand that's not on the trigger tucks the rifle into my shoulder tighter. It's also over the monopod to make my adjustments. If there is one thing that is a must it's the monopod!

On these new SRS A-1 rifles my railing comes off quite easy with an allen key so which ever path you choose just know it will be really easy to change out and go back and forth between covert and non covert. I'm surprised there hasn't been an aftermarket rail for this.

I am very solid with the bipod being closer to me. Unless i'm shooting in the kneeling or standing which is rarely I don't use the foregrip. My second hand that's not on the trigger tucks the rifle into my shoulder tighter. It's also over the monopod to make my adjustments. If there is one thing that is a must it's the monopod!

On these new SRS A-1 rifles my railing comes off quite easy with an allen key so which ever path you choose just know it will be really easy to change out and go back and forth between covert and non covert. I'm surprised there hasn't been an aftermarket rail for this.

Awesome info. Thanks!

I like both, but if I had to have just one it would be the full length A-1...only because I mostly run Bartlein 22.5 barrels and at times (usually hunting scenarios) I must improvise a rest on my pack or anything available to rest my rail w/o touching the barrel.

Did really enjoy my high mountain mule deer hunt with my 16" 308 covert suppressed however!

I started with an SRS....nothing else was available back then. I ended up putting the short covert handguard on the rifle and I'll never go back. I have no night vision or any other tactical crap to hang on the rifle so what use is the extra few inches on the handguard. With the short handguard there is no problem with the bipod being to unstable or any other issue. I use 26" barrels regularly and can see no difference in operation or accuracy. On the other hand I can use barrels from 16" on up where I was limited to a minimum of 22" on the long one. I have no regrets going short .

Frank

I like both, but if I had to have just one it would be the full length A-1...only because I mostly run Bartlein 22.5 barrels and at times (usually hunting scenarios) I must improvise a rest on my pack or anything available to rest my rail w/o touching the barrel.

Did really enjoy my high mountain mule deer hunt with my 16" 308 covert suppressed however!

I started with an SRS....nothing else was available back then. I ended up putting the short covert handguard on the rifle and I'll never go back. I have no night vision or any other tactical crap to hang on the rifle so what use is the extra few inches on the handguard. With the short handguard there is no problem with the bipod being to unstable or any other issue. I use 26" barrels regularly and can see no difference in operation or accuracy. On the other hand I can use barrels from 16" on up where I was limited to a minimum of 22" on the long one. I have no regrets going short .

Frank

Out of curiosity, how far back into the handguard would a 16" barrel stick on the standard A-1 (Recon i think)? I am just getting my Trust finalized, and I would most likely be running a suppressor on a 16" .308 most of the time.

Out of curiosity, how far back into the handguard would a 16" barrel stick on the standard A-1 (Recon i think)? I am just getting my Trust finalized, and I would most likely be running a suppressor on a 16" .308 most of the time.

About 5". You can't run a 16" barrel on a full length handguard, especially with a suppressor.

Frank
Front support in matches, and shooting out of your pickup, is greatly hindered with the covert handguard.

ps, it was the zero stop.....
A problem solved is experience gained I say! :) Glad you got it all figured out.

If ever I can be of service, give a ring.

... and yes, a rifle that is difficult to shoot from the mobility and comfort of my war wagon, is a rifle of limited usefulness. ;)

I like the Covert, but in a different role. It is quite possibly the best law enforcement sniper platform in the existence of the world! For us civies, it's ridiculously fun and compact for close range hunting and target shooting... especially with subs. Without a suppressor, it's not much fun at all. Damn thing will about burn your eyebrows off and split your head in two while doing it. ;)

had a covert setup, put it on a couple times but preferred the full length SRS. I found my perfect SRS was in 260, 300 and 308 with the full length rail. sold all my other barrels, etc.

Range day was a success I am very impressed with the 6.5 CM and the DTA SRS A-1. Pictures to come but it had no issue hitting anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1396812500320.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396812529142.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396812557727.jpg

Range day was a success I am very impressed with the 6.5 CM and the DTA SRS A-1. Pictures to come but it had no issue hitting anything.

Agreed! That thing is nice. And like I said Saturday, it's got a 4" longer barrel than mine, a heavier profile, lighter, shorter, and balances better off hand than mine. This whole bullpup thing isn't just hype. I was very impressed with it. And it's definitely a shooter.

Agreed! That thing is nice. And like I said Saturday, it's got a 4" longer barrel than mine, a heavier profile, lighter, shorter, and balances better off hand than mine. This whole bullpup thing isn't just hype. I was very impressed with it. And it's definitely a shooter.
I suppose I'll need to kick back some cash to Boz when you call to buy yours? hahaha ;)

Good looking rifles there gents. I'm glad you're enjoying it Boz. What is that kryptek shooting mat you've got there? Looks like a TAB gear. If so, I'm going to have to chew Tony's butt for not telling me I could get them in kryptek now. :)

I suppose I'll need to kick back some cash to Boz when you call to buy yours? hahaha ;)

Good looking rifles there gents. I'm glad you're enjoying it Boz. What is that kryptek shooting mat you've got there? Looks like a TAB gear. If so, I'm going to have to chew Tony's butt for not telling me I could get them in kryptek now. :)

It is TAB gear indeed. I believe tony told me it was his first ever produced in highlander. I except cash or check btw.

A problem solved is experience gained I say! :) Glad you got it all figured out.

If ever I can be of service, give a ring.

... and yes, a rifle that is difficult to shoot from the mobility and comfort of my war wagon, is a rifle of limited usefulness. ;)

I like the Covert, but in a different role. It is quite possibly the best law enforcement sniper platform in the existence of the world! For us civies, it's ridiculously fun and compact for close range hunting and target shooting... especially with subs. Without a suppressor, it's not much fun at all. Damn thing will about burn your eyebrows off and split your head in two while doing it. ;)

How bad is shooting the covert (loudness) without a can and just using a break
would be shooting .308 possible 16in barrel or the 22 for hunting purposes

Last edited:
How bad is shooting the covert (loudness) without a can and just using a break
It's loud... and the brake can get dirt airborne which lands right in your eyes if the wind is blowing right. Though this happens with most brakes on most rifles anyway. I shoot suppressed to avoid this.

Easy way to find out for yourself. Stick your head next to your barrel, about 20" back from the end of the muzzle, and have someone fire the rifle. You'll find out if it's something you'll enjoy. I don't enjoy it. ;)

The 18" 338LM is way worse.

What's actually happening:
pow_300.gif

What it seems like:
a_really_bad_day.jpg

We consider DTSS suppressors to be required equipment with DTA rifles! Maybe that's just because we like the lightest, shortest, and most accurate 338 rated cans on the market. ;)

Last edited:
Even the .308 with my tbac is obnoxiously loud. People hate shooting next to me. Been waiting on my tbac can for over 4 months now. The ATF sucks at their jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even the .308 with my tbac is obnoxiously loud. People hate shooting next to me. Been waiting on my tbac can for over 4 months now. The ATF sucks at their jobs

I have an SRS A1 on the way that will have a 26" barrel and a brake. Will this also be bad as far as muzzle blast goes or will the extra barrel length mitigate the blast?

I have been shooting a Sako TRG with 26" barrel and brake for quite a while now and it isn't bad at all, but I realize the SRS will be much more compact.

A 26" barrel and brake of the same caliber will sound the same no matter what kind of gun it is

Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Except for on an SRS it's about a foot closer to your face. ;)

A 26" barrel with brake on a DTA isn't all that bad though. It just seems worse for me since I'm always shooting suppressed.

True but I've noticed the worst blast is to the side. Not to the shooter.

Either way if you are not shooting a .300 or .338 you don't need a brake. If you're shooting the big boys get a suppressor. Much more pleasant for everyone

I don't think this applies when you are comparing bolt actions to semi auto's. I have been at several suppressor testing sessions and the sound at the ear is much different.

very true in my experience. I have an LWRC REPR 308 that I shoot with an AAC can. Much quieter, cleaner and more pleasant to shoot with the gas turned off than in semi mode

Anyone have any insight as to availability of mags, bolts and conversion kits these days? Haven't heard anything in a while. Are dealers getting a steady supply now or are parts still hard to come by?

From what's been written here, it sounds like the backlog has been caught up on and parts are more readily available nowadays than they were say last summer. Throw out what you're looking for and I'm sure the dealers here can give you an availability.

I'm on the fence about getting a DTA and was wondering if anyone in Illinois, Missouri or Iowa has one that would let me get behind their rifle? I live in Quincy, IL and don't mind driving 3-4 hours if necessary some weekend to make sure I don't regret spending the money then having to turn around and sell it.

Can't help you with a test fire, but I can say that I've shot at 925 y with my SAC 260 barrel and dropped in my 338 lapua barrel, dialed its 925 dope with my known offset from 260 zero and had 5/5 on steel. Putting my 260 barrel in has had me back within 0.1 mils of zero several times.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about getting a DTA and was wondering if anyone in Illinois, Missouri or Iowa has one that would let me get behind their rifle? I live in Quincy, IL and don't mind driving 3-4 hours if necessary some weekend to make sure I don't regret spending the money then having to turn around and sell it.
Quite a lot further than 3-4hrs, but we're up in South Dakota. If you wanted to spend a day fondling and shooting anything and everything DTA has to offer, I'd be happy to accommodate you. I'll include some free instruction time to make the trip worth your while.

wel bradu.... i can speak from personal leap of faith!!! ive been shooting my grampas .270 that he ordered threw macys LOL when he was young, love the rifle plus it's got gramps all over it from his red canyon elk hunting days. then i grabbed my first custom set up from dta and blown away by it. jump off the fence, i promise you it'll be a very soft landing with no sting in your feet if you know what i mean!!

Anyone have any insight as to availability of mags, bolts and conversion kits these days? Haven't heard anything in a while. Are dealers getting a steady supply now or are parts still hard to come by?

I ordered a 6.5X47 kit and bag mat from DTA last week they said they has everything in stock and I should have it by the end of this week

Quite a lot further than 3-4hrs, but we're up in South Dakota. If you wanted to spend a day fondling and shooting anything and everything DTA has to offer, I'd be happy to accommodate you. I'll include some free instruction time to make the trip worth your while.

I appreciate the offer and think I will take you up on that this summer even though it's a 9 hour drive. I have too much going on right now to take off work but hopefully I can get up there in a month or two.

Last edited:
Just picked up a DTA and was forced (that's right) to run it in a match last weekend. No time behind the rifle, 30 minutes to develop a load and zero optics, definitely felt like it was going to be a major handicap. I had no issue getting comfortable behind the rifle, it handles and recoils beautifully. The bolt location wasn't a issue, running the bolt and doing mag changes was not a issue. This barrel is a 28" 243 barrel with a break, still quite a bit shorter than my standard 243s with 24" barrels. Accuracy is on par with all my custom rifles, very impressed with the limited experience I have had so far. Current barrels are 243 and 338LM all finished at 28" plus breaks.

DTA SRS, 28" Benchmark with Gen2 extension, 243 1:75
P4120772_zpsb2cdb121.jpg

Who did ur 243? Been toying with getting one even though heavy 6mm projectiles are hard to come by. I've had 105 amaxes back ordered for a few months for my kids rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who did ur 243?

Benchmark Barrels - Home out of Arlington Wa, they do amazing work and make a world class barrel. The 243 is a 7.75 twist finished at 28" before the break, Benchmark also has the Gen2 style extensions. It pushes 115s at 3050 with zero pressure signs, I'll be working on a Berger 105 Hybrid load as well. The Berger 105s are not hard to find, the Tubb DTACs are the unicorn bullets these days, had 1K on order for nearly a year.

Kirk Roberts

So Benchmark is doing DTA conversions? That's a great development!