• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Why swap back and forth? Put the covert handguard on and be done. What good does the extra length of the long handguard gain you? I haven't found anything reasonable. The only thing I can think of is to use night vision or thermal sights in front of your regular scope. . .

Frank

Gives you more room up front when using it in comps off barricades and other things. I addition, you would also have enough room to run both a bipod and the RRS adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why swap back and forth? Put the covert handguard on and be done. What good does the extra length of the long handguard gain you? I haven't found anything reasonable. The only thing I can think of is to use night vision or thermal sights in front of your regular scope. . .

Frank

I see the merits of both; I have had both the Covert and the Full Length handguards. It's really hard to beat the compact stature of the Covert with a nice short barrel, then throw a 26" conversion in there. It's also nice to run the bipod a little further out, or rest the Full Length handguard on something should the situation arise. That's the only reason I run the full length, because I have needed it in the past.

I now want to try the covert in .308. For my type of shooting I think it might be better. Don't know until I try it. Crap more money needed. Guess I need to sell something.

Frank
Agreed, this is what I do as well. I run both a bipod, and a tripod mount on my gun. Anything other than secondary optics mounts up pretty good.

Frank

You sacrifice stability for compactness with the bipods so close to the fulcrum.

The covert with a short barrel is absoutley the sexiest combination. But holyshit do they look goofy as fuck with a 26”” barrel in my opinion.

I tried the have both solution, while cool at first my cheap ass got the better of me a I decided I couldn’t justify having both. I kept the full length. Replaced the Covert with a AIAX...... the SRS is still my favorite.

I tried the have both solution, while cool at first my cheap ass got the better of me a I decided I couldn’t justify having both. I kept the full length. Replaced the Covert with a AIAX...... the SRS is still my favorite.

I have both just because I like the longer handguard for long range shooting and the covert for hunting. I would like to have an AXMC and have considered selling a couple custom guns to get one t=v=bu the used market isn't worth a fuck. I don't need it but I sure want it awfully bad lol

Hey all - 2 questions.
1. Does the RRS tripod adapter custom made for our DT chassis accept any tripod? It looks like it does but wanted to be sure. I have one of those smaller Slik bipods and would like to get it more centered for the rare occasion that I use a tripod.
2. Anyone have a RRS tripod adapter laying around and available? I can get one from Mile High but thought I would ask here first.

One thing to note about the RRS adapter for the SRS is while it looks ergonomic, for me it wasn't as good as the rounded area in front of the trigger guard. I like to grab the rifle here or a couple inches ahead of there on the handguard. The RRS adapter has rounded edges, but it is still overall square, so I didn't find it as comfortable. I traded out to putting a rail and the pic rail adapter on my rifle.

One thing to note about the RRS adapter for the SRS is while it looks ergonomic, for me it wasn't as good as the rounded area in front of the trigger guard. I like to grab the rifle here or a couple inches ahead of there on the handguard. The RRS adapter has rounded edges, but it is still overall square, so I didn't find it as comfortable. I traded out to putting a rail and the pic rail adapter on my rifle.

I have a pic rail there right now, and agree that I grab the rifle right there as well. It's. It not often that I'd need the tripod setup but would prefer to have it in the bag in case I did. Do you still have it?

Last edited:
Yes I still have it if you’re interested I will sell it you. The advantage it does offer is you get more length to run the tripod on so you can put the head right in front of the trigger guard if you want. So there may be a little better balance there. Maybe with more use I would get used to it but I didn’t give it much of a chance I guess. Anyway, I have it like new if you’re interested.

I love my RRS. I also have a arca rail the full length of the rest of the handgaurd. It makes for a much more stable shooting platform for barricades and other odd objects. It offers a very adaptive shooting system. I run arca plates on all my gear/guns. I do shoot from a tripod fairly often though.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/imagizer.imageshack.us\/v2\/150x100q90\/922\/xSkZAU.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Attachments

• photo80363.jpg
    photo80363.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 60
  • photo80365.jpg
    photo80365.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Experiences with subsonic .308 in SRS? Have TBAC ultra 9 .30 cal purchased and working on all form submittals, but initially just planned on using it with supersonic loads in 6.5 CM and 28 nosler. That being said, I'm pretty interested in your experiences with any subsonic round in the SRS. Twist? Length of barrel? Projectile and powder type/charge?

Experiences with subsonic .308 in SRS? Have TBAC ultra 9 .30 cal purchased and working on all form submittals, but initially just planned on using it with supersonic loads in 6.5 CM and 28 nosler. That being said, I'm pretty interested in your experiences with any subsonic round in the SRS. Twist? Length of barrel? Projectile and powder type/charge?

.308 1-8” Covert Barrel with a 208 amax over 11gr of trailboss works good for me. I didn’t bother enlarging flash holes and they still shoot fine. After the novelty wore off I really don’t shoot subs much anymore.

Same here. They have the cool quiet factor but are basically worthless for anything. My load had something like and 8mil difference from a supersonic zero at 100yds.

I am thankful we don't have naysayers in my part of the world. The worthless comment was for hunting purposes. I can see where it would work as a decent pest killer and I shoot a lot of sub .22 rimfire but never found much use for the sub .308 It is movie quiet though and slings a fat bullet.

How many folks are running carbon fiber barrels in your SRS? A few years ago all we heard was it didn't work well, but now it seems like this is more feasible, since Special Purpose Rifles has them on their website. What's today's general consensus?

I considered one but my scope (HD Gen2) is heavy and have full length hAndguard. So I didn't feel that the weight savings of carbon barrel would be impactful enough in terms of % reduction. Maybe with a covert handguard, short carbon barrel, and much lighter scope it might be worth considering. But that's an enormous (and costly) shift for me, and I like my current focus of prone Long range.

As others have already said the weight savings over a factory contour are negligible and not worth the huge mark up in the SRS. It’s hard to shave weight with the big tennon. That said I’ll take the advantages of the big tennon all day. 1 being easy load development. The other being that shorter barrels are stiffer (of same contour). So I’d you want to save weight on an SRS you’re better off getting a skinny contour and keep in mind it is effectively 5” shorter from a stiffness perspective. My skinny 6.5 barrel that Ty did for me is a freaking hammer, weighs a little under 4 lbs and is a 25” barrel so there is more weight to save if it were shorter.

SRS Covert magnified optic Considerations?

I run a S&B ultra short 5-20 on mine. I've had a bunch of different optics on it over it's life. One thing you'll run into is longer scopes will get a dirty objective after a decent amount of shooting because it's so close to the end of the barrel.

Consider a;
NF 4-16 ATACR
S&B ultra short
TT 3-15
Bushnell 3-21 dmr

And i was able to get away with a gen 2 razor but you can't use the sunshade.

Basically anything right around 13.5 inches will get you in the clear with a 16" barrel.

This is all assuming you're not running suppressed. I can't run a suppressor so not sure what effects that will have on it.

SRS Covert magnified optic Considerations? Anyone running a 18-20" 6mm Creed in they're Covert?

I run the new ATACR 7-35 on my Covert. Due to the change in eyebox from my old XRS I had to move it back so the objective sits about 1” from the end of the handguard. I initially had it even with the end of handguard and had worries of unsuppressed shooting causing carbon build up. Now I wouldn’t be as worried.

I normally shoot suppressed so it’s usually not an issue.

I have a 16” 6.5CM from Ty. It’s an amazing little package that shoots very well. I run it suppressed and will be shooting an off-season match with it on the 16th;

Ive seen a couple guys running 18" creeds, but I dont know that they are on here. I'd love a 16 or 18" 6.5

Attachments

• photo81646.jpg
    photo81646.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: thestacche
Covertnoob5 much appreciated input as I am currently split between an ultra short or Atacr F1 16x. Just wish S&B has a mil floating center dot reticle like NF Mil-C.

dbransco sweet setup! Pick up my covert Monday and am leaning towards a 6mm a touch harder over a 6.5. slightly more pelt friendly just don't know if I'll be able to push pills as hard as I want at 18-20"?

I have a 16” 6.5CM from Ty. It’s an amazing little package that shoots very well. I run it suppressed and will be shooting an off-season match with it on the 16th;

Great minds think alike! I just received my 20" 6.5 Creed barrel from TS Customs. I'm loading 130 Berger's with 43.4 grains of H4350 at 2840 fps. I'm also using a S&B ultra short. I absolutely love this setup!

Attachments

• photo80642.jpg
    photo80642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 49
I run the new ATACR 7-35 on my Covert. Due to the change in eyebox from my old XRS I had to move it back so the objective sits about 1” from the end of the handguard. I initially had it even with the end of handguard and had worries of unsuppressed shooting causing carbon build up. Now I wouldn’t be as worried.

I normally shoot suppressed so it’s usually not an issue.

I did run my 7-35 ATACR on my Covert, but have since moved that to my AXMC because I did run into carbon build up on the objective lens with the 16" barrel.
That said I can't have a suppressor so I'm sure that might help a bit.

Anyone shooting Hornady 140 ELD Ammo through their 6.5 DTAs? If so what kind of groups are you getting, what's your estimated accuracy? I have not been able to get under 0.7 MOA.

With my 260 barrel and 140SMK's I could get the smallest groups and calling head shots out to 800-900, wind permitting.

Could be me, not sure?????

I have been sitting on a barrel adapter I got cheap for awhile now and thought I'd check with the group for suggestions on an additional barrel. I currently have a short and long 6.5 creedmoor and 7 WSM, both bolts too of course. I don't shoot the 7WSM often, but have brass and components for it, just nowhere to stretch it out. I was thinking 6mm maybe? If thats the case, what calibers are feeding well from a mag? 6br would be great if that's an option. Thanks for any input and sorry if this is something I should have found with a search function.

I have been sitting on a barrel adapter I got cheap for awhile now and thought I'd check with the group for suggestions on an additional barrel. I currently have a short and long 6.5 creedmoor and 7 WSM, both bolts too of course. I don't shoot the 7WSM often, but have brass and components for it, just nowhere to stretch it out. I was thinking 6mm maybe? If thats the case, what calibers are feeding well from a mag? 6br would be great if that's an option. Thanks for any input and sorry if this is something I should have found with a search function.

243, 6cm, 6X47, have all been very popular.

There are lots of folks that are shooting the 6XC, including me. The shorter cartridges, like the 6BR (from what I have read) don't seem to eject very well from the DT platform. But I am sure there are plenty of people out there having great luck with the 6 dasher, 6x47 Lapua, 6 Creedmoor, but the 6XC is what I have expierence with, and it's probably my favorite barrel.
You could always look into SAC's 223 conversion as well, but that kit is likely to come with the barrel extension.

I have been wanting to do a 22" 338 Federal or 450 Bushmaster; not sure why, except for "why not". Certain parts of my state outlaw bottleneck cartridges for hunting with a rifle, but 450 BM seems to get around that law. Since the 450 BM uses the .473 rim so I can use my standard bolt.

Sako man
Anyone shooting Hornady 140 ELD Ammo through their 6.5 DTAs? If so what kind of groups are you getting, what's your estimated accuracy? I have not been able to get under 0.7 MOA.

My DT 6.5Creed tube love the 140 eld factory ammo so much so I doubt I'll ever load for it? Couple months back it printed off a 4 shot .5 Moa group at 200m on shots 16-19 to finish off a decently paced string of fire. Routinely been .4-.75 beyond 1K. I may have gotten lucky with a better than average barrell being not quite as proficient with the DT as I desire.

Just confirming my original thoughts on this but wanted a pro response. A factory DT barrel can be made left hand or right hand simply by swapping the extension correct?

I have been shooting Factory Hornady 140gr. ELD out of my Covert with 16” barrel from Ty. I only have 25 rounds through it, but so far I’m loving it! I’m seeing right at 2,570 fps and the Accuracy is great!! I haven’t really shot for groups, but here is a 4 Shot group at 200 yards I just shot on steel; hard to tell from the photo im sure, but looking closely, they are all pretty much touching (maybe an 1/8-1/4” between).

Sako man

My DT 6.5Creed tube love the 140 eld factory ammo so much so I doubt I'll ever load for it? Couple months back it printed off a 4 shot .5 Moa group at 200m on shots 16-19 to finish off a decently paced string of fire. Routinely been .4-.75 beyond 1K. I may have gotten lucky with a better than average barrell being not quite as proficient with the DT as I desire.

Attachments

• photo81915.jpg
    photo81915.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 54
  • photo81916.jpg
    photo81916.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 53
  • photo81917.jpg
    photo81917.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 59
I have been shooting Factory Hornady 140gr. ELD out of my Covert with 16” barrel from Ty. I only have 25 rounds through it, but so far I’m loving it! I’m seeing right at 2,570 fps and the Accuracy is great!! I haven’t really shot for groups, but here is a 4 Shot group at 200 yards I just shot on steel; hard to tell from the photo im sure, but looking closely, they are all pretty much touching (maybe an 1/8-1/4” between).

Man, that rig looks nice. Makes me wish I had ordered mine in all FDE, I got BLK/FDE. Guess there's always cerekote.