• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I have been too busy shooting to post. Enjoying getting used to this new platform (for me). At 25 you see things on the Hide and it takes you a couple of years to save your pennies; by the time everyone goes their separate ways you are just getting started.

Factory ELD from a 26” TS Customs barrel, 2837avg. Two 700 yd, one 1000, one 1380ish. I call it 1400 depending on where I’m sitting :)

I had Travis make me a custom 7MM-08 and 220 Swift barrel for my Covert. Does nice work.

Looking through this thread and doesn't seem to be much movement. I really like the DTA, and have owned an SRS and two Coverts. I recently sold one of my LH Coverts as well, which got me thinking. I see a lot of DTAs on the sales forum and started wondering why. I personally know of several guys who went down the DTA road, and sold them later on. What are your observations on this platform? This gun was the hottest thing going for a while!

this Covid shit has hampered heaps of peoples range time , like mine . only got to go out start of the week and shoot after 7 weeks

It depends what people intend to do with the rifle ? its certainly not a #1 choice for PRS , will it work ? yeah it will but there are better traditional platforms for that . Im still happy with mine like the day i got it 5 years ago + , really enjoy shooting it and going from 223-338 in under a minute and repeatable .
Again , it just depends what you want it for . I use mine for Service Rifle Comps and i also hunt with it ... i also run a AI AX 308 in comps .

Yes the AI has great magazines and a excellent trigger , but for me it doesnt bother me whether its Single stage or two stage triggers , i can shoot them both just as good . The Ai has a better bolt throw and is generally faster / smoother, but it has its limitations too . EG Size , big and fucking heavyy
NO chance lugging around a AXMC in the woods / hills ,
Covert - 16.5" proof barrel and your slapping big game out to 800

Reactions: Edgecrusher
this Covid shit has hampered heaps of peoples range time , like mine . only got to go out start of the week and shoot after 7 weeks

It depends what people intend to do with the rifle ? its certainly not a #1 choice for PRS , will it work ? yeah it will but there are better traditional platforms for that . Im still happy with mine like the day i got it 5 years ago + , really enjoy shooting it and going from 223-338 in under a minute and repeatable .
Again , it just depends what you want it for . I use mine for Service Rifle Comps and i also hunt with it ... i also run a AI AX 308 in comps .

Yes the AI has great magazines and a excellent trigger , but for me it doesnt bother me whether its Single stage or two stage triggers , i can shoot them both just as good . The Ai has a better bolt throw and is generally faster / smoother, but it has its limitations too . EG Size , big and fucking heavyy
NO chance lugging around a AXMC in the woods / hills ,
Covert - 16.5" proof barrel and your slapping big game out to 800

I agree. It is an amazing rifle system and has some great advantages. Is it the only rifles you will ever need to own? No. I'm selling my old Gen 2 OD Green Covert chassis because I want to get the newest version. That would be my guess why some of the DT's being sold. Good thing is I've got two carbon fiber barrels (.308 and 6.5 CM) already to drop into the new chassis when I get it. Down the road I would like to get a 300 PRC 25" barrel and with it sitting on the shelf here at work I can here it calling to me lol.

“Ringing the dinner bell from the zip code over so ya girl will start cooking.”
I got a couple looks when I picked mine up. One guy asked me what I could do with my A2 that he couldn't do with his Savage. To his credit, the deer all drop dead equally, but that is only one part of the equation.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
I got a couple looks when I picked mine up. One guy asked me what I could do with my A2 that he couldn't do with his Savage. To his credit, the deer all drop dead equally, but that is only one part of the equation.

Yes, animals don't know, or care, if the bullet was a Sierra or a Hornady, or if it was shot out of a Savage or a DT, but that reasoning makes me shake my head. I knew a guy who had a standard Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag, if I remember correctly. He topped it with some basic, no frills $200 scope he bought at Cabela's. He'd take it to the range a handful of times, mostly before pronghorn or deer season. When I bought my first DT back in 2010 or so, he pretty much gave me the same argument, but I've been to this guy's house! He had a collection of guitars that would make Eric Clapton jealous. He paid more for an old Gibson Les Paul than my DT and AI rifles combined. The irony was lost on him when I asked why he needed that guitar when he could buy a guitar at Walmart.

Thinking about getting a 6.5 Creed to complement my 308 covert. Can go either with the 18" or the 24" hunter. What kind of accuracy can you expect with the hunter ? Is it still 1/2 MOA ?

I thought I read the 6.5 prc has feeding issues. Is that true? Trying to pick up a Memorial Day sale barrel. I do have a 300 wm barrel currently.

Last edited:
I thought I read the 6.5 prc has feeding issues. Is that true? Trying to pick up a Memorial Day sale barrel. I do have a 300 wm barrel currently.

The longer the case length, the better its going to feed.
While there may be some issues with the 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM feeding properly, Mark @ SAC has a kit that resolves this completely. I have used his kit and its fabulous. https://shop.shortactioncustoms.com/products/desert-tech-mid-action-magazine-upgrade - worth every penny.
Others have had luck bending the short action magazine feed lips slightly and polishing them until it feeds better.

The question here was about feeding issues with the 300 PRC, which at 2.58" trim length is just a touch shorter than the 300 WM trim length at 2.60". There should be no feeding issues with the 300 PRC.

No feeding issues with the 300PRC loading the chamber or extracting and actually easier to load the magazine over the 300 WM because the round your loading doesn’t hang up on the belt.

Reactions: jaywmustang
DA26AB07-8C7C-4C7F-9874-FA079DC7D424.jpeg

Sighting in the 223 barrel after using a factory 6.5 barrel. .6 mil high less than .1mil left.

No feeding issues with the 300PRC loading the chamber or extracting and actually easier to load the magazine over the 300 WM because the round your loading doesn’t hang up on the belt.
Nice. I don’t want anything that I have too mess with. I don’t get a lot of range time. Anyone try out the es tactical x-caliber barrels? Or should I just go with the K&P barrel

Nice. I don’t want anything that I have too mess with. I don’t get a lot of range time. Anyone try out the es tactical x-caliber barrels? Or should I just go with the K&P barrel
Just so happens my 300 PRC barrel is a recent purchase from ES Tactical, 22.5“, I went with the K&P. Still playing with load development but breaking in the barrel I’m seeing less than .5 moa.

I have a K&P 300 prc on order myself, 22.5”. Was really tempted by the price and shorter turnaround on his buttoned barrels but there wasn’t much reviews on them and the K&P barrels are pretty well known shooters.

Just so happens my 300 PRC barrel is a recent purchase from ES Tactical, 22.5“, I went with the K&P. Still playing with load development but breaking in the barrel I’m seeing less than .5 moa.

Nice man! I’ve been waiting to see how you liked yours, any speeds yet?

I thought about getting both 6.5 and 300 prc in x caliber but I feel like I was compromising. So I’ll order up the k&p 300 prc and wait for another sale. I was going to go with a 28” barrel. Any reason I should go shorter? What contour are you guys going with?

I have an x-caliber barrel from ES in 25 Creedmoor. Shoots great. I do have one of his K&P barrels is 300 prc and as expected is an awesome barrel too. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another of the button/x-caliber barrels.

Thinking about getting a 6.5 Creed to complement my 308 covert. Can go either with the 18" or the 24" hunter. What kind of accuracy can you expect with the hunter ? Is it still 1/2 MOA ?
I know they have a guarantee. Out of curiosity, what makes you want to go with a factory barrel over one turned by one of the smiths, like TS customs or ES Tactical? I am new to the platform too and personally never considered a factory barrel from the beginning. The beauty to me was being able to run a custom barrel in various calibers instead of having multiple 6-8k rifles laying around...

Reactions: Zorrosdens
I know they have a guarantee. Out of curiosity, what makes you want to go with a factory barrel over one turned by one of the smiths, like TS customs or ES Tactical? I am new to the platform too and personally never considered a factory barrel from the beginning. The beauty to me was being able to run a custom barrel in various calibers instead of having multiple 6-8k rifles laying around...
It’s easier and cheaper where I live.

Reactions: Keens

I agree. I bought the A2, then immediately put in an order with ES for a 300 PRC, and then just ordered a 22.5 6.5 Creedmoor from them. Saved quite a bit over the factory offering, and got exactly what I wanted.

Well if you’re able to get DT products I am in desperate need of a full length A2 handguard in black :) Cannot find one anywhere.
Same boat but can’t find a keyed gen 2 picatinny covert to A1 Covert handguard.

FWIW I can't help you with the X caliber and maybe I just got lucky but I bought a heavy contour (I believe that's what it's called) K & P 300 wm 28" long with 1:9 twist from Eric last fall and after 170 rounds, I've shot slightly ragged holes with five rounders @ 160 meters. The accuracy, even when brand new stayed below 3/8 moa except when I pull a shot or put on a muzzle brake. Clay pigeons at 800m on the first round and that's with zero load development! I just took an accurate and mild load designed for my Steyr and was amazed when I shot it through the DT. I didn't think I could shot groups that small and the vertical spread downrange says the projectiles' velocities are consistent. It's my first barrel from ES Tactical but needless to say I couldn't be happier. Can't get anywhere near that consistent with my factory DT 308 barrel, which seems to hovers from .4-.8 moa and I find needs to be held exactly the same during recoil to dip into the 1/4 moa range. Hope you enjoy what ever you decide to get!

FWIW I can't help you with the X caliber and maybe I just got lucky but I bought a heavy contour (I believe that's what it's called) K & P 300 wm 28" long with 1:9 twist from Eric last fall and after 170 rounds, I've shot slightly ragged holes with five rounders @ 160 meters. The accuracy, even when brand new stayed below 3/8 moa except when I pull a shot or put on a muzzle brake. Clay pigeons at 800m on the first round and that's with zero load development! I just took an accurate and mild load designed for my Steyr and was amazed when I shot it through the DT. I didn't think I could shot groups that small and the vertical spread downrange says the projectiles' velocities are consistent. It's my first barrel from ES Tactical but needless to say I couldn't be happier. Can't get anywhere near that consistent with my factory DT 308 barrel, which seems to hovers from .4-.8 moa and I find needs to be held exactly the same during recoil to dip into the 1/4 moa range. Hope you enjoy what ever you decide to get!

According to Eric the cut rifled K&P barrels have a longer life, but the accuracy shouldn't be any different. I opted for two button rifled barrels, and I plan on wearing them out. Hard to beat a little over 600 for an SRS barrel. I went with the largest profile on both. Still waiting on the SRS and the barrels, but when I get them I'll make sure to share the results. 26" 300 PRC with a 1-8 twist, and a 22.5 6.5 CM with a 1-8 5r. I missed the 1-9 5r 30 cal blanks he had. Maybe I'll pick up a shorty win mag if he puts in another order and they perform. After seeing results from his barrels and speaking to him I'd be confident with anything he makes.

My factory DT .308 bbl shot FGMM 168's and 175's into .0's and .1's in the first 100 rounds and many rounds later, still does. Lapua brass, 175 SMK's and 178 ELDM's over Varget shoot the same. Don't discount the DT LW barrels - this was my first DT and a factory barrel. I had a 6.5CM Bartlein bbl done ( Fireguyty?) here a few years ago and it shoots the same. Factory or aftermarket, button or cut, a little luck and you'll be pleased.

Last edited:
My factory DT .308 bbl shot FGMM 168's and 175's into .0's and .1's in the first 100 rounds and many rounds later, still does. Lapua brass, 175 SMK's and 178 ELDM's over Varget shoot the same. Don't discount the DT LW barrels - this was my first DT and a factory barrel. I had a 6.5CM Bartlein bbl done ( Fireguyty?) here a few years ago and it shoots the same. Factory or aftermarket, button or cut, a little luck and you'll be pleased.
Same ... my old factory 16” DTA 308 barrel will shoot anything under 0.5 from 125TMK varget coyote loads to 200 Lapua FMJBT Trailboss subsonic. Actually most of my target shooting, I just use 175 FGMM I can buy by the case on sale and then I spend more time outside shooting then behind the reloading bench. I shoot mostly from tripod or makeshift barricade under 500 yards so it’s not like the extra accuracy from hand loads would make a huge difference.

I only reload for subsonic and lightweight coyote loads although I had a very good varget 175 TMK load that was in the 0.2s.

Last edited:
I have a K&P 300 prc on order myself, 22.5”. Was really tempted by the price and shorter turnaround on his buttoned barrels but there wasn’t much reviews on them and the K&P barrels are pretty well known shooters.

Nice man! I’ve been waiting to see how you liked yours, any speeds yet?

Want to report results from the first two outings with the new 300 PRC 22.5” cut rifling barrel from ES Tactical for my Desert Tech. The barrel shoots well and although not shooting for groups I have managed to get several from .5 to .3 moa so I’m happy with the purchase.

So, I’ve been playing with various powders and bullets while going through my barrel break-in routine. As of now the barrel has seen 44 rounds head down range. On the first outing I tried out some H1000 and at 76gr with 210 VLD’s the velocity was 2,666. At 78gr with the 212 ELDX and Hornady brass I saw a velocity of 2,710. Both shot well but to slow even with the expected fps increase once the barrel speeds up, so that’s it for the H1000.

I finished the first session firing five rounds, 74gr of RL26, 210VLD’s and Hornady brass. For guessing at a load this one gave me the best group shot. My CBTO measurement must have been off a bit because these rounds were jammed and not just touching the lands like I expected. Anyway, the velocity was 2,806 for this round so I’ll develop this load combo further.

On my second outing I fired one factory 212 ELDX round for a base line, velocity was 2,835. The factory offering surprised me. Next, I fired a string of rounds using the 212 ELDX, Hornady brass and 76.5 to 79gr in .5 gr increments of Retumbo. The velocity at 79gr was 2,818 so I believe going to 79.5gr would equal the factory offering. I’ll continue developing this load combination using ADG brass and see what I come up with.

To close the day out I tried some 215 Hybrids, ADG brass and RL26 ranging from 72.5 to 75gr. Both 74.5 and 75gr loads were within 3fps at 2,798, I don’t like it when that happens. Not bad velocity wise but not what I was expecting. I’ll continue with this load combination until I find pressure signs and go from there.

Based on the results so far, I’m thinking once the barrel speeds up and loads are refined I should be able to safely get velocities in the 2850 to 2900fps range with the 210VLD’s, 212ELDX and 215Hybrids, but then again we will see what really happens.

I am currently selling my 300PRC barrel but I already know I am going with 28"-30" when I finally get around to needing a magnum back in my life. In our system, we can get away with a little more barrel, especially when its a dedicated "f' the wind and f' anything this bullets hits" kind of barrel. Now if people are hunting, you still get more than enough energy on target with shorter barrels.

Wow that is exceptional accuracy, modern rifles are amazing! Perhaps my load could be improved (or technique). Right now I've got a 175 smk going 2650 over 43 grains of 4064 in a Lapua case.

Only a handful of DSR-1's were imported into the USA. They came in at a premium, even years ago. The DTA is a much better option both now & then.

Well finally stretched my old 308 16" Gen 2 covert to 1000 yards today. 4000'DA, 25 deg C. 175gr FGMM (brought some 175 TMK handloads too but the FGMM was so consistent vertically even through transonic that I mostly shot those). I got lucky and somehow grouped 1-1.50 MOA at a 900-1000 yards and I'm not much of a shooter, off a Atlas V8 bipod and a Gamechanger rear bag, the range owner who was shooting a custom 260 rem was amazed at how good my 16" 308 barrel was doing, especially with factory ammo. The only thing is that the Applied Ballistic custom curves off my Kestrel Elite was way off (0.5 mil) compared to the tuned G7 and Strelok data which was 0.1 from real world. I'll have to investigate further.

I was actually so impressed that I'm really enthusiastic about getting a 26" 6.5 creed barrel. The wind was kicking my ass past 900 yards (would easily go +/- 0.4 mil in between shots for the slightest wind change) and I could have done much better I with a heavy 140+ 6.5mm pill.

A big help was Orkins trigger mod (Removed all the pretravel using a custom M3 set screw and file the safety tab to be able to move rearward enough to get the audible click. I set it at 1.25 lbs and it's as crisp as my Trigger Tech Special. I also JB welded a metal plate in the skins to remove all the overtravel.

I'm still pissed that I can't get a A1 "keyed" forearm anywhere, I'd love to be able to have the RRS ARCA rail go all the way to the trigger guard. Does anyone knows how if it'd be possible to get the new forearm and maybe have a smith do the indexing ? Isn't it the same thread pitch ? DTA support is no help.

For shit and giggles, I also shot a few subsonic handloads on steels at 400 yards. For my 200 Lapua FMJBT it required 14.9 mils of elevation and was easily sub-moa, just a bit vertical stagger due to velocity SD. ToF is 1.25 seconds so it's a lot of fun to watch those on steels.

All in all ... very impressed with the little rifle.