• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

2012 me would think the easy handguard changing on the A2 would be a key advantage. That was around the time I kept wanting to swap between Covert and Standard lengths, but it was a thirty minute process requiring tools and a vice. So the Covert handguard just stayed on and I got used to it over time. Nowadays I look at the A2 and think “meh.”

I want an A2 for the weight savings, but that would require taking a bath on my A1. No thanks for how damn good it is. If you don't care about an extra pound or so, get the A1.

2012 me would think the easy handguard changing on the A2 would be a key advantage. That was around the time I kept wanting to swap between Covert and Standard lengths, but it was a thirty minute process requiring tools and a vice. So the Covert handguard just stayed on and I got used to it over time. Nowadays I look at the A2 and think “meh.”

I agree with this post 100%. If I want weight savings I’ll pull the Razor off and put the AMG on.

I've tried his coated bolt and it does improve cycling the bolt. I keep meaning to get mine done as I'm an hour away but always forget. He'll coat other weapons like the AR15 as well. Pretty impressive stuff.
What was the cost?

Did anyone change the speing inside the bolt assembly? I thougt about making cocking the bolt easier?
I know it will weaken the force of the firing pin, but I think there is room for improvement?

I am thinking about jumping into the DT SRS pool? What are the differences between the A1 and the A2? Is the A2 worth the extra money (Euro Optic still has some A1s)? What accuracy are you seeing with the 6.5CM hunter barrel?

Thanks
Thanks for your input, on A2 vs A1
I am buying a A1 chassis from a SH member. Now I need a 6.5 CM barrel kit. Where is the best place to buy them?

I have a Proof barrel from ES, and a few Proof and Bartlein barrels from SAC. I’ve also shot with buddies who have factory barrels (Lothar Walther). All are outstanding. I couldn’t really see a difference.

The factory barrels are good to go since day one, but they are still hitting the basics. If there is a factory barrel with your specs, get it. Otherwise custom is the way to go, if you want different cartridge, profile, throat, twist, rifling, length, etc. Early on, there weren’t a lot of options for the SRS, but now there are plenty and lots of customs shops setup to make barrels for it.

Same here. Have factory , ts customs from primal rights , sac short action customs, and some from fire guy tye, they all kick butt. Just ordered a 37xc from es tactical since I sold the hti.

Reactions: deersniper
41XC is about as big as you can get right now. I know Kirby has his Raptor catridges up and running again, that'd be about as big as I know of...

You can run 50 cal via the 12.7X48 also referred as the 510 whisper. I've loaded subsonics with 800gr Lehigh solids and high velocity 300gr Barnes soft flat points at 2300 fps. Its hell on deer super or subsonic. I've done a lot of DT barrels in this cal and it works well. Mags are a problem because the shoulder on the 338 lapua size mags interferes with the bullet on the 510 and I've been unable to get unfinished 308 size mag bodies or any other mag parts from DT to mod them.

Accuracy is great if you use quality components and its a hoot to run subsonics quiet.

I've done a few 33XC barrels for the SRS and its a pretty impressive round. I've been thinking about the 37XC too but haven't gotten there yet. To much other work at the moment. I think they're both pretty good ones for the platform.

Frank

I've really enjoyed the 12.7x48mm barrel - though I find it more of a novelty than especially useful. I've traditionally brought it out for fun shoot days with friends. Lobbing 650gr bullets the size of your thumb at 400m steel kind of reminds me similar M203 shoots in the Army. And if the lighting is right, you can actually spot the bullet flying through the air like an angry spear. Making brass was a real chore but nowadays you can actually buy brass from SSK(Lehigh).

Speaking of RCC, has anyone heard from them recently? I've got a order from April that's still on hold, and comms was fine leading up to that point, but since then it's static.

Has anyone ever made a mag loading tool for the SRS? I beat the crap out of my hands while constantly loading cartridges into my mags this weekend at a PRS match. I'm envisioning something akin to the plastic tools that come with most single feed pistol mags. If not, I might go grab some sheet metal and try to bend one for myself.

I've never seen a tool for that. Personally, loading the larger magnum cartridges has never been an issue for me, but the smaller SA cartridges like 6.5x47L and .308WIN have given me trouble at times. Often I find that the follower can get tilted off axis, requiring a complete unloading of the mag. Years ago I experimented with 3D printing a vertically extruded follower that wouldn't get misaligned so easily. It sort of worked, but reduced the mag capacity a little bit (this was before the new larger mags). I'm not an engineer, so I shelved the idea beyond that, but I'm still surprised no one is making a better magazine for the SRS.

The only thing that I hung onto during that time was my fancy SRS bore guide made on a mini-lathe with some delrin.

175BD55E-12C0-41E9-8D2D-1D7F3C314006.jpeg
Getting close! Still waiting on my sidewinder brake and atlas super cal! 338 lapua !

Yes, they should. The only difference is the Gen 1 SRS (pre-2010) with the pin-indexed barrel extension will not work with the post-2010 Gen 1, A1, or A2 because those use a barrel extension that indexes off of the feed ramp. The bolts across all variations should be compatible.

You don't need a brake or bipod for that thing. You can use a bag and a piece of cardboard to keep the flash from burning your eyebrows. Its just a 338 and no brake needed.

Looks good.

Frank
Thanks man! Lol

Has anyone ever made a mag loading tool for the SRS? I beat the crap out of my hands while constantly loading cartridges into my mags this weekend at a PRS match. I'm envisioning something akin to the plastic tools that come with most single feed pistol mags. If not, I might go grab some sheet metal and try to bend one for myself.
Please do.

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite sometime while looking to get into the precision game,and as I said in the new member section, this forum is invaluable. I ended up choosing an ES conversion and chassis about a year ago and it has been fantastic. A part of me wishes I would of went for a 6.5, but it seems the short barrel 308 is teaching me more about my fundamentals and my mistakes.

Attachments

• 20200715_202504.jpg
    20200715_202504.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 83
Been a minute since I posted. Got my 16” .308 barrel in today. Very excited- running A2 covert with Minox ZP5 5-25 in AADmount and TBAC ultra 9. No monopod. Without mag it’s 12 lbs on the dot with suppressor. I may grab a lighter scope and ultralight rings for fun and see if I can get to that 10.5 lb range. Minox is 35 oz, and I’ve got a Bushy LRHSi 4.5-18 thats 25 oz. Not sure how much I can cut out with rings. I could probably drop a couple butt spacers and get there, but I don’t like messing with my trigger pull and placement.
0F7F29D4-A988-4F22-BB22-F59D6B1599AD.jpeg
5A88CF00-1435-4861-8B1D-D5BC318F521A.jpeg

.270 win featherweight with 22” barrel in pics for length comparison.

LOVE the clarity of the glass, and it's lighter than the Vortex HD Gen2 that I had previously. Kind of wish I had a christmas tree (MR4) instead of the mil setup of the MR2. Currently I always dial elevation with turrets and I'm not a PRS shooter, so I rarely need to hold both elevation and wind simultaneously.

I purchased my SRSa1 a couple of months ago and finally got it out to the range. It was nearly new when I bought it, but I think it’s an early gen1 (not sure how to tell really). I absolutely love it! Only fired two groups, one for zero and a five round group. I look forward to running this thing out to distance.
EEEABEA2-8BA1-4E89-9D50-5BCE8F55C681.jpeg
767F1DAA-05BC-4A80-898A-85F67A7DC766.jpg

I picked up a un-fired SRS-A1 from a SH member. Now a need rest the parts. I am looking at the DT 6.5 CM Hunter at Euro Optics (would be a back order) or a 22.5 in Proof Research from ES Tactical. Looking for some feedback from those options.

Also do you know where I can get some side rails for the Chassis?

That looks like a Gen 1 but the quad handguard looks like it has been milled down, or DT did something custom with it. It should say Desert Tactical Arms” on the side and will have a pin where the barrel extension locks into place.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
That looks like a Gen 1 but the quad handguard looks like it has been milled down, or DT did something custom with it. It should say Desert Tactical Arms” on the side and will have a pin where the barrel extension locks into place.
It is stamped with “DTA SRS” and Desert Tactical Arms Inc. The serial number is pretty low, but I’m not sure if they changed the format at all. As far as I know it’s all factory. The guy I got it from hadn’t put many rounds through it. This thing is phenomenal!