• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Who’s barrel are you using and which Hornady AMMO?
Factory barrel. American gunner 140s

I haven’t shot the DTs for groups lately. But I had to sight in a new scope on an AI with a PVA 18” button barrel. 5 shots

3927D006-68CC-44A3-9ED0-682851BD9FB5.jpeg

And here’s a 3 shot group from a Proof barreled SP10

FDEC2D4B-82C0-4446-B64F-A38727B6854B.jpeg

And a 3 shot from either the AI or Seekins
BC7E3F38-40CC-4298-AE15-1371C995B8FD.jpeg

I’d do 5x5s but not enough time and I’m not the best shot

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Fonz
Hey tell her to drop off my SRS in 223 I let her borrow. I am going to do some more load developments with the Berger80.5.😳😂

No thanks. Whole point is I have a 260 already. Want to try something different .
Well 223 is a lot of fun. There’s a complete .223 kit with 28” barrel for a good price in the for sale section.

I have a 300NM kit too haven’t had time to use it though. Should be a blast

Anybody here shooting the 18 inch 338 factory barrel? What bullet and grain are you using?

I’m planning on 212’s I’ll be happy with anything over 2800

I think that should be doable. I’m over 2900 with 230s. Longer barrel than yours, but I bet you can get there.
Impressive setup. Especially the weight. As you very well know these are not light rifles. I don’t want to weigh mine 😃. 10#s all dressed up is awesome.

Reactions: Hondo1
I think that should be doable. I’m over 2900 with 230s. Longer barrel than yours, but I bet you can get there.
Impressive setup. Especially the weight. As you very well know these are not light rifles. I don’t want to weigh mine 😃. 10#s all dressed up is awesome.
My A1 I wearing a Gen2 Razor and a 30” .338 Lapua AI barrel. They feel like very different rifles. Lol

Anybody here shooting the 18 inch 338 factory barrel? What bullet and grain are you using?

Yup, been shooting mine since 2012. It was initially designed, per DTA, for shooting subsonic 300gr bullets - hence the really fast twist. I did that initially but also found it was good for full power loads too. At 18" it's not the long range beast the cartridge is intended for, it's still really good at hitting hard inside of 1000m and bucking high winds.

250 & 300 grain Scenars run great in it. You'd think 300s would be too heavy for it, but I got surprisingly good performance (92.7gr N570 pushed it to around 2500fps). For some reason I could never get the Hornady 285s to group well at all.

QL338-18.png

JBM338-18.png

As you can see in the drop chart above, even a 300gr Scenar at 2500fps stays supersonic almost to a mile. For short .338 barrels, I think 18" is the limit to how far you should go. A 22.5" barrel will net you another 150fps, but compared to the above numbers it just won't make a huge difference. That's why 26" - 30" is generally considered the sweet spot to squeeze the most performance out of the cartridge.

Reactions: Snipe260
Yup, been shooting mine since 2012. It was initially designed, per DTA, for shooting subsonic 300gr bullets - hence the really fast twist. I did that initially but also found it was good for full power loads too. At 18" it's not the long range beast the cartridge is intended for, it's still really good at hitting hard inside of 1000m and bucking high winds.

250 & 300 grain Scenars run great in it. You'd think 300s would be too heavy for it, but I got surprisingly good performance (92.7gr N570 pushed it to around 2500fps). For some reason I could never get the Hornady 285s to group well at all.

View attachment 7392511
View attachment 7392514

As you can see in the drop chart above, even a 300gr Scenar at 2500fps stays supersonic almost to a mile. For short .338 barrels, I think 18" is the limit to how far you should go. A 22.5" barrel will net you another 150fps, but compared to the above numbers it just won't make a huge difference. That's why 26" - 30" is generally considered the sweet spot to squeeze the most performance out of the cartridge.
Thank you for the info dogtown!

Thanks @Hondo1, now I want an A2 again. I need a better scale if I want to accurately weigh my rifles, but I know I am a couple pounds heavier than that for sure. A lighter weight scope will help, but it wont make 2 lbs disappear.

Reactions: Hondo1
My rifle and conversions are going to be shipping from SAC any day and I am getting some components together. Question is what bullet are guys liking the best for 223 conversions? I was considering the 75gr berger vld or the 75gr eldm. I have heard of some issues with hornady bullets but i am not sure if the 75gr eldm has been performing well.

My rifle and conversions are going to be shipping from SAC any day and I am getting some components together. Question is what bullet are guys liking the best for 223 conversions? I was considering the 75gr berger vld or the 75gr eldm. I have heard of some issues with hornady bullets but i am not sure if the 75gr eldm has been performing well.
Mine likes 77gr Lapua and 77gr Sierra. Both will shoot in the .1s. I have also had good results with 60gr Sierras for varmints. Haven’t tried anything heavier since the 77s have shot so well.

Reactions: BClrh
Mine likes 77gr Lapua and 77gr Sierra. Both will shoot in the .1s. I have also had good results with 60gr Sierras for varmints. Haven’t tried anything heavier since the 77s have shot so well.
What powder and charge weight did you end up with for the 77's? I will work up my own load but just curious where you landed.

Mine I am shooting Berger 80.5 with 24.5 grains of Varget and getting sub 1/2 inch groups. I tryied World Shooting Precision at 24.4 and getting the same results. Varget is getting hard to find. Speed wise 2880 has been the norm. The Berger 77s are around 2950 with the same powder charge and shoot just as good. Mark knows his stuff with this conversion and as soon as I need a new barrel it will come from him. Have about 2000 rounds through it as of this date.

Attachments

• BC33D673-EBCF-4C5E-ABBF-2D614808A790.jpeg
    BC33D673-EBCF-4C5E-ABBF-2D614808A790.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: jbrand11 and BClrh
What powder and charge weight did you end up with for the 77's? I will work up my own load but just curious where you landed.
I had great results with with VVN-140 (25.0 gr) and equally good results with Varget (24.5 gr). The VVN load is well above book max, so be careful.

Reactions: BClrh
Mine I am shooting Berger 80.5 with 24.5 grains of Varget and getting sub 1/2 inch groups. I tryied World Shooting Precision at 24.4 and getting the same results. Varget is getting hard to find. Speed wise 2880 has been the norm. The Berger 77s are around 2950 with the same powder charge and shoot just as good. Mark knows his stuff with this conversion and as soon as I need a new barrel it will come from him. Have about 2000 rounds through it as of this date.
How long is your barrel? Mine is only an 18"

I’m shooting a Proof 26” 300 PRC, set up by mark at SAC. 1:8 twist. Shoots amazing. No issues feeding from standard long magazine.

I shoot a Bartlein 28" 9-8.3 Left hand gain twist 300PRC, also done by Mark at SAC. Have not shot it for groups besides a quick zero (it was about 1 MOA with about 15 rounds through tube). I shoot factory 225 ELDM's at about 2940fps according to my magnetospeed. As the other above said, no issues feeding.

Yes, I'm shooting 300 PRC. 230 grain A-Tips. 30" 1:9 twist. No magazine issues whatsoever.
How have the Atips been performing for you. I wanted to try them in my Norma Mag but I am a little gun shy from some experiences with eldm's

Welp, bit the bullet and did it. SRS A2 with a DT optic mount (20MOA) in 6.5 Creedmoor. 400rds of DTA to start.
Now for the optic, tripod, LRF, and Kestrel...
Think I'm gonna pick up a few shifts.
OK. I'm looking to purchase the same setup you purchased back in January. Now that you have a few months in, would you have done anything differently? Just asking for any advice you would have since your purchase. Thanks in advance.