• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ogive caliper attachment

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys, my buddy has a cool little green attachment for a set of calipers to catch the ogive instead of the point, I looked everywhere for one but not knowing what they are called I'm lost... Little help please?

Re: Ogive caliper attachment

I have the entire hornady set. Works really well for me. the whole set costs around $100 but worth it to me. Check it out. Brunos in N. Phoenix carries them, they have good prices on most things. If they are out of stock it could take a long time to get them in so call them first. Otherwise they are carried just about anywhere you can get reloading stuff.

I have the Sinclair model. Any of the more popular brands will do as it is a simple device.

I have the Hornady one, but I will say, it is not the easiest to find the exact length of the ogive. I kinda have trouble finding the flattest part of the head on the brass. It may be my inexperience of being completely new to the whole reloading business. I just kind of move the piece of brass around until I get the lowest reading. If anyone has any advice to help me, please speak up!

ok here is my question aboutthis tool. i have 165 rounds loaded to the length i desire. do i just now use this tool to remeasure the rounds and average them to get the goal i want to measure to with this tool? am i making sense? i have a book that tell the length and i know how to find where the lands are and then set back my bullet. thats done 165 times now. but where do i get the number im looking to duplicate with this tool? is it the average of rounds that are already loaded to the correct overall length? or do i look for it in a book? im not clear on that part. thanks, sorry to hijack

Im not really knowledgable about this so dont quote me on this but I believe that when you find where the lands are, you are finding the length of how long the round must be but from the head of the brass to the OGIVE of the bullet, emphasis on the OGIVE of the bullet (well kind of because you dont want the ogive to exactly touch the lands). When you find what length you want from the head of the brass to ogive of the brass, you measure what that length is, this is where you use the Hornady Bullet Comparator. You do NOT want to measure to the tip of the bullet. Although the length may change when you measure from the head to the tip of the bullet, the ogive should stay the same no matter what. So when you find the length you want from the head to the ogive, you set the seating die to that length (the length to the ogive). I am not sure if all of the seating dies seat by the ogive bullet or seat by the tip of the bullet but usually i think its the ogive. The oal that the book gives you is to the tip of the bullet. You do not want that if you are trying to shoot from a precision bolt action rifle. Now if you want to shoot from a semi auto and with a small magazine, then obviously the length to the tip of the bullet matters. Now im sure if some of this stuff is wrong, someone will chime in and point it out. And by the way, if this is not what you were looking for then im sorry, i must have misunderstood your question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok here is my question aboutthis tool. i have 165 rounds loaded to the length i desire. do i just now use this tool to remeasure the rounds and average them to get the goal i want to measure to with this tool? am i making sense? i have a book that tell the length and i know how to find where the lands are and then set back my bullet. thats done 165 times now. but where do i get the number im looking to duplicate with this tool? is it the average of rounds that are already loaded to the correct overall length? or do i look for it in a book? im not clear on that part. thanks, sorry to hijack </div></div>

This tool help you determine the length you want. You've probably already determined the length you want like most of us using a little reverse engineering. Sounds like you have ammo built to the correct length for your rifle, you just want to know what to call that length. You could use this tool to measure some of your 165 correctly built bullets for your rifle and use that average to call the overall length to the ogive for your handloads.

This tool helps more when you are first determining overall length. Most of us start by determining the overall length by using a tool ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=570611 ) or by making a dummy round like ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaA3GECbbVA ). Then once we have that length to the lands...how do we measure rounds coming out of our seating die to make sure they match just shy of our dummy round length to the lands? This is where you really use this tool. You can measure your dummy round to the ogive and then measure bullets coming out of your seating die and adjust your die until it's seating at the determined correct length to the ogive. Measuring to the ogive is much more consistent, measureing to the bullet tip varys quite a bit.

Again don't know if I answered your question.... damn those titties in your signature line are distracting!:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacBud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Hornady one, but I will say, it is not the easiest to find the exact length of the ogive. I kinda have trouble finding the flattest part of the head on the brass. It may be my inexperience of being completely new to the whole reloading business. I just kind of move the piece of brass around until I get the lowest reading. If anyone has any advice to help me, please speak up! </div></div>

Axeman, hard to concentrate on reading with the "dancing jug's" lol

WHat you want to do is make a reference or dummy round, then measure the distance to the ogive with that. The best way is to use a method that utilizes an actual bullet that you will be using, such as the Sinclair comparator. WHen you find the distance to the lands, load that particular bullet into an empty case and press it in until you reach the OAL calculated. Now you can use that distance to the ogive as the standard to use against all other bullets, which may vary greatly in OAL.

Btw, the redding competition seater does NOT seat from the ogive. The seating stem makes contact with the bullet a bit higher than the ogive, but it doesn't touch the tip.

i think i get it now. after i get a charge weight dialed in, ill refine the length and use the comparator. i think i get it now. thanks. oh yeah, the boobs are not as distracting as the one with the booty...