• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ogling a SABER FORSST

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
I was reading some of the older features here on the 'hide, specifically:
http://www.snipershide.com/2010/09/ashbury-international-m40e/

Given that a fair few months have passed since it was published to the site, I was wondering if anyone had much in the way of updates on the availability to the civilian channel of the SABER-FORSST?

http://www.ashburyintlgroup.com/Saber-FORSST.htm

Or even video/review/whatever of it to ogle it further?
laugh.gif

Re: Ogling a SABER FORSST

I emailed C.T. at Gunsite Academy, Inc. Here is what he had to say about the Saber-Forsst Mod-1 "Right now, lead time on a rifle is about 60 days, chassis only, perhaps 4 weeks." He said to call him next week. I'm trying to decide on long or short action.

E.

Good luck. The asshats at assbury won't even return phone calls.

I'm with you, oddball. Just this morning I was thinking "a Trg-42 in an Ashbury chassis would be a fun toy!"

I was going to purchase a mod 1 chassis with a XL-II action, but ashbury is not selling them at the moment, only fully built rifles. Considered the built rifle but $10k is a bit more than I wanted to spend, so I think I will hold off a few months and see of they start selling the action and chassis

Stocks are shipping as of today, I've got a 700 and Sako on the way to clients now. Production is pretty much up to speed at this point.

Mod 0 is ~$1600
Mod 1 is ~$2500

The difference between the Mods, is that the Mod 1 has an integral scope base/rail and the Mod 0 doesn't.

I created a thread about the availability of these stocks not too long ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mod 0 is ~$1600
Mod 1 is ~$2500

The difference between the Mods, is that the Mod 1 has an integral scope base/rail and the Mod 0 doesn't.

I created a thread about the availability of these stocks not too long ago. </div></div>

Found it. Sorry, had it confused for a different chassis.

Ashbury's website says Remington 700 SA but doesn't say Surgeon 591...

Just got mine (the version with the integrated 20moa rail and monopod) last week from Cory (the R700 customer referenced above). Very well built and ergonomically friendly. A piece of art....taking it out this weekend.

Would be interested in testing one of these chassis vs the McRee. I have heard the original run had some issues with barrel to forearm contact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashbury's website says Remington 700 SA but doesn't say Surgeon 591... </div></div>

Probably because they only offer them for the XL series of actions....
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would be interested in testing one of these chassis vs the McRee. I have heard the original run had some issues with barrel to forearm contact.

</div></div>

I just received one for a sako trg-42 and there's zero issue with barrel contact. I have had very little time to put it to use, but thus far I'm impressed with the quality and function of the system. Also, the forearm inside diameter is 1.35" leaving plenty of room for a heavy barrel.

Surgeon 591, Badger 2008 and other actions are being worked on right now, expect to see them released faily soon. I've got a 591 system on order for myself, I'll make a note here when it arrives.

One should note that there are other differances between the Mod 0 and Mod 1 besides the full length top rail.

The base Mod 0 is a fixed, hand tool adjustable system, with a top and side accessory rail included.

The base Mod 1 is a side folding, push button adjustable system, integrated top rail, 2 bottom and 4 side accessory rails (with and without flush sling cups)

There is also a takedown stock joint and integral monopod available for both systems, as well as electro-optical rings to provide alignment with night vision and thermal systems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashbury's website says Remington 700 SA but doesn't say Surgeon 591... </div></div>

smirk.gif
</div></div>

ummmm........no

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashbury's website says Remington 700 SA but doesn't say Surgeon 591... </div></div>

smirk.gif
</div></div>

ummmm........no </div></div>

Really? What other Surgeon actions are offered for their middle section?

Because this is their list, right from them:

- Badger Ordnance 2008
- Remington 700 (TM) Long and Short actions left & right hand
- Surgeon XL & XL-II
- SAKO TRG-42
- McMillan TAC-50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashbury's website says Remington 700 SA but doesn't say Surgeon 591... </div></div>

smirk.gif
</div></div>

- Badger Ordnance 2008
- Surgeon XL & XL-II
- SAKO TRG-42
- McMillan TAC-50
</div></div>

sufice it to say the 591 will be there shortly
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smirk.gif
</div></div>

- Badger Ordnance 2008
- Surgeon XL & XL-II
- SAKO TRG-42
- McMillan TAC-50
</div></div>

sufice it to say the 591 will be there shortly
smile.gif
</div></div>

Big difference between it will be there shortly (which in the gun industry could be months) versus this is what they currently are putting out. Just sayin'

I wonder which m2008 they are referring to. I would love to score one of these for their 338lm action. I would think the Mod 0 would be the way to go with the m2008 just due to the design but I would love to see one of these in person.

Fantastic to hear that they are finally flowing to the masses even if the price is somewhat prohibitive. (for me anyway)

Seeing how they support the 700 LA, anyone think the gap templar LA setup for 338 would work with the mod 1 chassis?

I'm up in the air on either this or the AX chassis. I wanted this with the surgeon XL in a mod 1 but they will not sell the xl-II action needed for the mod 1, so it would need to be a 700 or m2008 action.

I have heard great things about the templar and would love to have gap do the build so a templar LA in a mod 1 would be sweet if it will work.