• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oh god, not another caliber debate thread.

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
Im stuck between 7mm RUM, 28 Nosler, 7mm STW.

Im going to build a do all hunting rifle. I know I want a HOT 7mm which has led me to these 3 options (if Im missing a no brainer speak up). I dont care much about barrel life, being a hunting rifle it will take 10 years to shoot 1000 rounds. I have other rifles that I will shoot match's, etc with. What I do care about is

Brass avaibility
Speed
Recoil (distant 3rd)

I will use a 24/26 inch barrel.

Thoughts?

Since nobody else replied.

I'd go with 28 Nosler.

One reason is I don't like belts so STW is out.

The next is 7 RUM is way way overbore and if I were to guess one could get about the same velocity with 28N with less powder. Also loaded to the same length both should be about the same speed but less encroachment in the powder column for the 28N.

Even if I had a 28N I'd load it down to the low node to save on wear, plus less recoil.

28 Nosler with Berger 195's!!!

Also, here's a tip: You can buy once fired brass from gunwerks for $1.35 ea.

Regards,

Todd

I hunt with friends using the 28 Nosler with lots of success. If I didnt already have a 300 NM, I would build a 28 Nosler.

I had a 7stw, can say it's not in the same league as your other 2 choices.

Crap, you called me out, lol. First, I did not read the op all the way through and assumed from answers you were looking for something to push a 195 or so. Case capacity was my thing, QL says 99gr, I just pulled a dummy rd I had and it is 98+, so right with the other two. I was basing my comment on having one and shooting 162 amax's, it was not that impressive. I got better performance from a 7 saum and 180's. but, RL 33 was not out then and it looks good in the stw with 180 class bullets.
So I may have to admit I'm wrong and retract my statement.
If you are planning on using it as Lane Simpson intended, lighter bullets at uber speeds, good choice, but as for an everyday LR boomer, case design dictates the other 2 a better choice, IMO. Fatter cases rule in the LR game.

I shouldn't say anything because I don't own any of those... But my friend has a 28 Nosler and it's an absolute beast. Ballistics are amazing, and the idea of it just sounds sexy. It makes me want to get one built, but I know I can't afford it. There I've said my peace.