• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oh how the worm turns ...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Funny how when Facebook came on the scene I saw that as my number one competitor as the owner of SH. Part of that was my reasoning for going to Scout. I felt there was no way to combat that powerhouse so a network might be a good idea. In part that was the sales pitch, a network with resources a small site just doesn't have.

We know how that worked it, but I at the same time I was a bit amazed how many people I had helped and supported immediately jumped to Facebook. They created their group mixed in with a 1000 other groups. The fact they could add you to their group without you knowing was a nice way to gain members quickly. On the surface, it looked impressive. Very few realized it, you can just go through and add people and it was up to them to remove themselves.

Now, with Social Media pushing back against gun owners, I am getting email, after email inquiring about SH. How we do come back, FB doesn't work, YouTube is not working, the big powerhouses are turning their back on them and now everyone wants to come home.

We have our own hosted video platform, if Youtube shuts down every gun video, I can just move my stuff here completely and host my own. And my platform is not US based so they don't care. In fact they have been super helpful

I saw this coming to the degree much of the delay moving to this new software you see was specifically to add in the code of my video platform. This software used the more common videos, so I had to custom codes written to work with my stuff. No problem, it works.

So, when you tool around the internet and people ask, "What do we do now " just remind them who was here first LOL , the solution has always been SH.

Right on, spend your time and money where you are wanted.

Yep I agree Frank, I have been writing some Ball Busters on youT because most of their BS is by Sheeple who look for a reason to be angry and at present shooting is in the headlines, I don't use Twitter or FB or any of them sites where Sad Bastards go to feel loved or get a Reacharound, I have always been here or another shooting site, And I have no desire to be anywhere else, and I will be here til the end,

John.

As I stated "forums are making a come back"

The question is are you willing to host the whole gun community? would be awesome!!

One thing I hate about YouTube is the lack of categories. This actually would have not blown up like it did if every video was not intertwined with every other video. I put YouTube on auto play in the back ground at times, where I start is a long way from where I end an hour or two later.

Anyway, sounds like good fortune for you Frank.

...the solution has always been SH.
    Monetizing a website is all about site traffic (you already know this but 1J is a slow fucker and I have to type slowly for his/her sake) and site traffic generates ad revenue. YouTube can pound sand as far as I am concerned, if you can spin your video platform off into a separately branded site I imagine that you could capture the business of EVERY other firearm related site and take a not insignificant portion of Youtubes business.

Vote with your dollars!

Monetizing a website is all about site traffic (you already know this but 1J is a slow fucker and I have to type slowly for his/her sake) and site traffic generates ad revenue. YouTube can pound sand as far as I am concerned, if you can spin your video platform off into a separately branded site I imagine that you could capture the business of EVERY other firearm related site and take a not insignificant portion of Youtubes business.

Vote with your dollars!

bing

Eventually however Google & the other big hard progressive media companies are going to do their best to squash advertising revenue, so sites are going to have to have a loyal user base that is willing to pay some money directly, as well as do deals direct with individual companies that want to advertise on the site.

A good thing all in all, cut out the middle men that hate you but want your money.

Eventually there may be restrictions on who will host "not politically correct speech" as some people who talk about the problems with Muslims are finding out as their hosting providers don't like it if you mention that Islam is a false religion etc.

Then they will try to cut off your payment processors & you'll have to be a bit more creative or go back to checks / money orders in the mail.

Google is already blocking firearms forums. One of my best friends owns the Smith and Wesson forum. And his Google referrals have dropped dramatically. Used to be that when someone bought their first gun (often a Smith and Wesson) they would Google... and get right to his forum. Not any more.

But the good news is that... they still get there. Through other means.

But Google is already doing this. Blocking content that 'They' don't like.

I tried DuckDuckGo... but it sucks. Someone needs to just create something as effective (or better) than Google's algorithms and everyone will go there.

Remember, that before Google... was Lykos and Infoseek, etc. They crashed and burned when Google came up with a better formula. Google could be gone in a week... if a better platform came along. The challenge, of course, is that they are now owning operating systems and phones. Technically, far more of a monopoly than IBM back in the 70's when they had to sign a consent decree... in the '80s. Google needs to be broken up. Same with Amazon. Facebook will implode soon, simply because it's ghey.

Cheers,

Sirhr

We'll see them again. Just wait until they get their hands on an NRA membership list and start coming around like they're trick or treating.
    Google is already blocking firearms forums. One of my best friends owns the Smith and Wesson forum. And his Google referrals have dropped dramatically. Used to be that when someone bought their first gun (often a Smith and Wesson) they would Google... and get right to his forum. Not any more.

But the good news is that... they still get there. Through other means.

But Google is already doing this. Blocking content that 'They' don't like.

I tried DuckDuckGo... but it sucks. Someone needs to just create something as effective (or better) than Google's algorithms and everyone will go there.

Remember, that before Google... was Lykos and Infoseek, etc. They crashed and burned when Google came up with a better formula. Google could be gone in a week... if a better platform came along. The challenge, of course, is that they are now owning operating systems and phones. Technically, far more of a monopoly than IBM back in the 70's when they had to sign a consent decree... in the '80s. Google needs to be broken up. Same with Amazon. Facebook will implode soon, simply because it's ghey.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    I dont mean to be a dick (my wife always says "then why are you").
    But if you type in "smith & wesson forum" it is the first to come up. If you leave the "forum" off then yea it is way down the list. Some people just have really shitty google-fu (my wife is one).

Someone needs to just do a guntube. period. Every gun related and gun friendly facet would want in.

Google changes algorithms all the time, you have to watch their release notes as to what they look for,

Fair enough. That could be why I can never find something twice. Hence the bookmarks and multiple open windows I have.

Someone needs to just do a guntube. period. Every gun related and gun friendly facet would want in.
    Would never work. There would be very little revenue. Only people who would advertise on it are industry companies and really why would they advertise their products on a site that is already featuring their products? No corporations in this climate would risk being called out for advertising on it whether they were pro gun or anti gun.

Id rather see information and sharing sites decentralized and broken down into individual server operators.

Its good Frank and Hillary have owning their own servers as a common denominator.

Facebook in this case is a sacrificial lamb.

The destruction of Facebook plays into the destruction of Trump for some reason even though Obama did the same thing Cambridge Analytica did for Trump first and was not only lauded but than supported by Facebook in the stealing of peoples information.

Was talking to an engineer this past weekend at the range and he told me what he fears is coming with this online information depository of the internet.

Soon AI is going to be able to be asked by its controller who is my enemy?

Based on our internet personalities it will be determined who or who is not an enemy.

Than AI will be asked of my enemies who has the training and ability?

Next thing you know AI shuts down all your electronic banking and anything else you may depend on in modern life.

Remember how we celebrated the change from pager technology to Nextel and so on...........

Zuckerburg just finished up his country wide tour which many speculate was a fact finding mission for a run at the Presidency.

Millenials are likely to vote in Zuckerfuck and I dont think the powers that be want someone stealing another election from them.

Killing Zuck might kill two birds with one stone.

I hope it makes the tech geeks of Zucks peerage, ie Frank, realize there but for the grace of God go I.

Maybe they will regret their little deal with the devil when they realize they are being used as useful idiots....well not Frank anyway, he is just on the kill list.

Last edited:
    Reactions: animaldoc
    one issue I see happening here with the youtube issue is that the left are winning by having all firearms groups fracture into several different places. There are reloading people going to one place, there are others going to full30, others like james yeager creating their own hosting sites. Basically everyone is going to be hard to find, strength is in numbers.

one issue I see happening here with the youtube issue is that the left are winning by having all firearms groups fracture into several different places. There are reloading people going to one place, there are others going to full30, others like james yeager creating their own hosting sites. Basically everyone is going to be hard to find, strength is in numbers.
    Yep, been thinking the same.