• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oh no another AI vs Barrett vs DT thread

Which one would you choose?

• AI ASR

Votes: 87 58.8%
  • Barrett MRAD

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • DT SRS M2

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Sako TRG M10

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Sako TRG 22

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Cadex Kraken

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Victrix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
Didn’t know there were quality issues

Any particular location or batch?..or tight lipped so far

Thanks

AFAIK, the problems are surfacing with the 338’s. I don’t know if the 300WM exhibits the issue and I would assume the 308 is fine.

I have heard of this through US military circles and from friends who’ve been working in Ukraine.

Reactions: brianf
Clearly this thread is irrelevant and all the suggestions are horrible and overpriced.

Just buy a Savage, the guys at the local gun shop say that Savages are the best rifle ever.

How could guys with neck beards, and Flektarn field jackets steer a guy wrong?

Reactions: Mareshow
Didn’t know there were quality issues

Any particular location or batch?..or tight lipped so far

Thanks
I’ve seen one picture of it happening. I’ve never seen multiple pictures. The one thing certain on SH is people complaining. I suspect it’s not that common.

I’ve personally seen Aussie SOF Britt SOF and German SOF use AI rifles in theater. Those guns run harrrd. This was of course well before the MK22 was fielded. I would not hesitate getting the AI

Reactions: BurtG and Mareshow
I’ve seen one picture of it happening. I’ve never seen multiple pictures. The one thing certain on SH is people complaining. I suspect it’s not that common.
I seen a few instances of it happening but Barrett claimed it was a bad batch of aluminum, The ones I seen were quickly remedied

Let's not forget that AI has had its problems too. Hence me waiting 8 months for a new bolt

Reactions: JB.IC and kthomas
I’m an AI guy myself. The DT has always intrigued me as well. But seeing people comparing the quality to AI and MRAD so far has left me not purchasing one. I like the compact size but action, magazine and overall feel of the rifle seems to always go to AI for quality.

That said if you order an AI you have plenty of time to acquire extra parts if you’re worried about it. Buy an extra trigger and bolt/firing pin assembly and you’ll have about 99% of any issues covered. Then you simply swap the part out and send broken out for repair. While still running the rifle.

Otherwise for availability and overall handiness of a rifle I’d get the DT in your situation

Reactions: Surferjoe
Kinda neat vid of the DT 338 in action. Don’t like it, but it probably has its place. Wouldn’t want just one flavor in Baskins Robbins.

1705010846171.jpeg

I want to like the DT so bad but the mags... they just let the whole system down. I can get over the bolt and bolt feel. But those mags.... Why must they be that way.

Reactions: carbonbased
I want to like the DT so bad but the mags... they just let the whole system down. I can get over the bolt and bolt feel. But those mags.... Why must they be that way.
Isn’t that unsatisfying? The very very very heart of a “weapon system” isn’t the barrel, the trigger, the scope, the metal it’s made of, the aesthetics, the caliber, the stock, the bolt, how anything feels, etc…it’s the damn boring-ass mags. lol

So unsexy, but true.

(Note: I’m not commenting on DT mags (never used a DT), just agreeing with the sentiment about shitty mags in general)

Mags suck, game over

Last edited:
In fact, maybe the first question to ask a noob who wants advice is to ask about they expect out of the mags lol 🥱 😴 💤

A magazine loader could improve the user experience slightly

View attachment 8320800
Oh, we’re talking about how well the mag functions in the gun (or at least I am). Not how easy it is to load.

That left one, that almost looks like a CZ 527 mag? I should look for a mag loader helper for my 527 for pdog shooting. Loading those mags sure gets old.

Oh, we’re talking about how well the mag functions in the gun (or at least I am). Not how easy it is to load.

That left one, that almost looks like a CZ 527 mag? I should look for a mag loader helper for my 527 for pdog shooting. Loading those mags sure gets old.
Loading the mag was one of the pain point of using the mag for me.

Isn’t that unsatisfying? The very very very heart of a “weapon system” isn’t the barrel, the trigger, the scope, the metal it’s made of, the aesthetics, the caliber, the stock, the bolt, how anything feels, etc…it’s the damn boring-ass mags. lol

So unsexy, but true.

(Note: I’m not commenting on DT mags (never used a DT), just agreeing with the sentiment about shitty mags in general)

Mags suck, game over

What about the mags? Mine work fine.

Load an AW mag then load a DT mag and then get back to me. Barrett Mags would be similar to the AW mags I'd assume. AICS aren't bad but the DT mags how they ramp on the shoulder is kinda a PITA. I know because of that they feed well but it's just annoying.

A magazine loader could improve the user experience slightly

View attachment 8320800
That actually a great idea! my 3D printer is about to go BRrrrrrrrr

I know there is no love lost on this board for Steyr but you mentioned it. I have an SSG-68, 04, and 08. I would get the M1 but haven't yet justified it already having the other 3. Rather than piecing together a bunch of parts and hoping they work, I would rather buy a gun that shoots right out of the box. If your talking the $15K range I would suggest you give the M1 a serious look. There is a reason so many European countries use Styer as their primary LE/Mil sniper rifles. Since your in Canada it may be a plus to get a gun proven to perform in extreme temperatures. And yes, the hammer forged barrel is sexy :)

Late night thoughts, chaps. Semi thread drift question here, as I look to consolidate my safe, owning one of the topically appropriate rifles. Does anyone who owns a “convertible” long action actually only one that one rifle, aside from maybe a comp or hunting rig? Yeah it’s a do-it-all rifle, but you don’t own a similar short action just for that short action caliber?

Late night thoughts, chaps. Semi thread drift question here, as I look to consolidate my safe, owning one of the topically appropriate rifles. Does anyone who owns a “convertible” long action actually only one that one rifle, aside from maybe a comp or hunting rig? Yeah it’s a do-it-all rifle, but you don’t own a similar short action just for that short action caliber?
They seem to multiply lol

You’ll have one and that one stays in your primary cartridge

Then soon or later you get another one that becomes the “rest”

And so it goes on lol

I owned at one point an AI AT and AXMC. I liked the AXMC but for my use the AT is well rounded and a smaller package. I use the AT a ton and want to leave that set as a 308. Ended up ditching the AXMC and have an ATX now which will fill the multi cal roll for target shooting while the AT still continues its job that’s it’s been accomplishing for years. For me it was the opposite and I found I didn’t need or utilize the long action cartridges like I thought I initially would

Same theory could be brought up for suppressors. Everyone starts off with asking what is the best one time can to purchase and do everything. When in reality it just doesn’t exist because of application or the fact people just don’t want to convert the can or rifle every time they use it. Eventually you end up with several cans anyways

Reactions: BurtG
The MRAD is so clearly superior to everything else on this list ... that I consider your quest for an alternative to be a gross waste of your time.
(Now watch all the non-MRAD fan-boys drop their litter of kittens all over the reloading room floor.)
Mrad in their natural environment. The scrap bin

4248569D-331C-4222-9387-272C50B264D2.jpeg

Maybe they don’t crack anymore idk

I like my AIs and my DTs. I shoot my AIs a lot more since I started doing comps.

But DTs are super accurate and easy to shoot. And compact for vehicular use

C7400345-F451-40E1-BDD5-03D2856CB4DB.jpeg

B74FB720-8B42-4A51-A50F-916A5C23672B.jpeg

You really need 1-2 of each. Plus a nice light custom.

One bad batch of receivers and they are all junk... Its not like AI had any problems in the past... oh wait

I went MRAD. And frankly I think I like the bolt manipulation more than the AI

Would I sell all my other rifles and only use this one? no probably not but it fills a void in my collection and I'm happy to have it. That break on a 17" barrel is probably the most aggressive I've had in a while. The guy on the bench beside you better not be a friend haha

AI has a nice gun and I would like to get a new ATX one of these days but for now this is more than enough. 300 PRC barrel is on its way.

IMG_3543.JPG

• Haha
Both of mine fed like absolute shit and the bolt pretty much sucked to manipulate. If you’ve got T-Rex arms and like wiggling bolts to try to get a round to chamber they’re great.
Had AI,s .. now have Desert Tech,s ,s....both good but i would never go back to AI..

BTW... my DT,s feed just fine and the bolts are easy to cycle.. DT accuracy is a standout ! Just superb..

I’ve owned all 3. Sold the MRAD due to barrel availability but had an unreal bolt, slick. AXMC was a decent lift for the bolt, most cumbersome of the three.

Still have the DT, is gold to have that long of a barrel in such a short package, bolt is slick and is a handy rifle to have. I’m still tempted to add an AXSR though.

Edited to add: Cadex falcon bipods are rubbish compared to other options available.

image000000.jpeg
IMG_4674.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg

I’m really tempted to add a DT SRS to my collection eventually

I have a question for those who have owned the DT……

I’m 6’3” 275 lbs with a 15.5” LOP. Has anyone with a similar build owned a DT? I question how comfortable it would be with my size and LOP

I don’t know of anyone local with one or any shops that sell them near me to try if I decide to purchase one

Last edited:
I like the looks of the DT, but didn't really care for my M99 Barrett I had. So the bullpup wasn't for me. I would like to add a MRAD eventually though.

Mrad in their natural environment. The scrap bin

View attachment 8348210

Maybe they don’t crack anymore idk

Come on, Duck… you’re just complaining.

“The Duck, I says!”

• Haha
I've owned all 3. The AXSR is the the best all around, long range precision rifle. The Desert Tech is second, with super easy caliber conversions, amazing precision and compact build.

The Barret sucked And I sold it to Cabelas. Accuracy was meh, action was fine but everything else was below the AXSR and DT IMO.

I’m 6’3” 275 lbs with a 15.5” LOP. Has anyone with a similar build owned a DT? I question how comfortable it would be with my size and LOP

I don’t know of anyone local with one or any shops that sell them near me to try if I decide to purchase one
I'm glad you gave your weight otherwise I would have accused you of blowing away in a stiff breeze

• Haha
Reactions: JB.IC
Love the DT mags. Allows you to load them long ! No more restrictions on OAL because of the mag, just your freebore. Plus the mags index off the shoulder of the casing, love the DT mags

Last edited:
Reactions: eamars

I'm 6'3" and 250..my desert tech fits me fine. I use all the butt pad spacers included with the stock gun, but didn't need anything additional

Reactions: hafejd30
I have the axsr and the desert tech... Both are pretty awesome. At the range I'd take either gun, but if I were carrying it to hunt, I'd take the desert tech every time. It's lighter, and the compactness of it is stellar for carrying through the woods, especially with a supressor attached. Also great for getting in and out of vehicles. You can fold the stock on the axsr, so if you're carrying it on a pack the length difference doesn't matter as much, but on a sling or in your hands, the desert tech is markedly more compact. Folding the stock doesn't make the AI any lighter, though! 😉 But neither gun is a feather weight.
Both guns are stellar multi caliber platforms, but the availability of a 223 conversion on the DT is a huge bonus. That's my favorite configuration to shoot that gun in. The axsr shines with magnum calibers, where the extra weight is welcomed... Especially if I don't need to carry it any further than the range. Mine pretty much sits in the 300 PRC configuration.
The AI bolt is smoother to run than the DT, and I suppose if I were sitting at the range all day dumping tons of rounds, that might start to matter... Maybe... But after I start shooting the DT, I don't really think about it, so it's not like it is physically challenging or anything.
Yes, the overall quality of the AI is very high, but I've never considered the quality of the DT to be low. I don't really get the "Ferrari vs Civic" comparisons people have brought up... Both guns are pretty stellar. I think the real differences come down to the feel of a bullpup bolt vs the feel of a standard action. The trigger on the DT is pretty awesome... And not just for a bullpup. There's a plastic shell on the DT... Which gives it a weight advantage, so I consider this a purposeful design choice, not a lack of quality.
The mechanics of using a bullpup vs a standard action may be a deciding factor for some, but it doesn't really matter much to me. I do think it's worth getting behind one to decide if you are cool with the feel of the bullpup. I'd bet most people could get used to it with use, even if it feels weird to you at first.
For your described uses of the gun, I'd get the DT. Availability of the 223 conversion and being lighter and more compact for carrying are the biggest advantages. Having great local support is also a great thing. Not having to wait for the rifle or caliber conversions would push me to the DT over the AI, too, if I were in your shoes.

Reactions: hafejd30 and BurtG
But what would you take to war / a polar bear hunt etc ?
I'd take you, buddy! You're a better shot than I am anyway! 😂
But in all seriousness, both guns are used in the field by people that shoot other people for a living, so I suspect either would be fine for going to war.
Both guns can be chambered in rounds big enough to hunt a polar bear.
If I have to carry it a ton, weight and size is a consideration, so the DT would get the nod. If I'm prominently going place to place in a vehicle, then either would be great.

I am the same size as you and am comfortable behind mine

Reactions: hafejd30
Yeah, looks sorta like the B&T APR338.

Yeah, looks sorta like the B&T APR338.

The one on the APR338 wiki page is an exact match.
1708917898528.png

Reactions: carbonbased