• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oil or Grease on Bolt?

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Sorry if this has been beat to death and if so, tell me to get lost, but, what do you guys prefer on the bolt / Oil or Grease? Thanks.

Re: Oil or Grease on Bolt?

I don't think it makes a lick of difference. What makes you feel good?

It makes me feel good to use a hint of grease, so I do.

I use a light coat of moly wheel bearing grease... a can of it will last several lifetimes. Both oil and grease will collect and retain "grit" in such environments, so it's a good idea to clean and replace periodically. A little dab will do ya!

Grease is just oil with an additive (such as a lithium compound) to thicken it. It sometimes separates. The thickener allows it to stay in place longer. Moly grease is a combination of the oil, thickener and molydisulfide. Put grease where you want it to stay for a while. Oil leaks away. Moly disulfide is good stuff but it stains your jeans. I like to mix HxBN with oil or grease that then doesn't stain. JMHO

I use the Hoppes gun oil than comes in the orange bottle. It is thick enough to where it stays put for a little while, but not super thick and sticky enough to where it is a debris magnet.

I have used grease on my other firearms and I do prefer it when I want a lubricant to stay there.

I just blow snot on mine, it also works good on door knobs.

militec is good stuff. It also depends on where you are shooting. If it gets super cold grease will freeze up on you. but that's extreme circumstances.

I prefer grease on all my guns, semi, bolt, rifle or pistol. It works better and stays put. However if I am going to be shooting in the dust and wind I wipe down my stuff to be pretty dry just to mitigate the dirt attraction.

Allot of guys are starting to use motor oil and it makes pretty good sense. I quart of good synthetic oil will last a long time. Im starting to think about using a good 90wt synthetic gear oil on my guns when my grease runs out.

I also really doubt grease will freeze up a gun. Sure it will get thicker but if you have enough on a weapon to stop it from cycling then you have other issues. Like being stuck in a vat of it. I know it sure doesn't stop bearings from spinning in every u joint on cars, and I can still pump it from a manual gun in sub zero temps.

I use graphite mostly on my boltgun's (dose not attract dust will never freeze)and gungrease on my pistol's but like another poster said I also use 15w40 motor oil to lube my pistol's between cleaning .

Thats just what I do .

Lock Ease liquid graphite. Goes on wet, stays on dry. Benchrest guys have been doing it for years, doesn't collect dirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grease is just oil with an additive (such as a lithium compound) to thicken it. It sometimes separates. The thickener allows it to stay in place longer. Moly grease is a combination of the oil, thickener and molydisulfide. Put grease where you want it to stay for a while. Oil leaks away. Moly disulfide is good stuff but it stains your jeans. I like to mix HxBN with oil or grease that then doesn't stain. JMHO </div></div>

Exactly what did you say you were lubricating with molydisulfide that left stains on your jeans? Nevermind....don't answer that.

Dunno if this makes sense, but I use Lubriplate on my M1A and AR, and FP-10 or Mobil One on my bolt rifles; and 50/50 (a grease and oil 'mixture')on my 1911's.

Lucas red-n-tacky #2

I lube my tacoma's drive shaft, so why not my bolts

I have used CLP when grease wasn't available with no issues.

I prefer to use a dab of light grease on the back the bolt lugs and cocking cam and a very light coat of oil on the body. I also put a drop of oil in the anti-bind cut.

I've been using an assembly lube that came with a set of cam shafts. It's noticeably slicker than anything I've tried before, even moly grease.

This question has been kicked around on the shotgun boards a bunch. Many of the guys that shoot targets burn shells in extremely high volume. The specific application is for hinge pins and lugs on O/Us and SxSs.

The concensus, with plenty of dissent, is Mobile 1 synthetic grease. There is input from engineers about why this is the most serviceable option. The caveat is that grease will hold grit and eventually become grinding compound. The solution is obviously to thoroughly clean and replace regularly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deltagunner00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this has been beat to death and if so, tell me to get lost, but, what do you guys prefer on the bolt / Oil or Grease? Thanks. </div></div>

Grease has much more staying power. If you use it on the cocking piece of 700's it seems to also improve the trigger pull a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TW25B and Militec1 are the two lubes I currently use.

However there are piles out there that work just fine.</div></div>

Flipping this question the opposite way, have you ever seen a reason or condition for which TW25B would NOT be appropriate for this purpose?

Grease. That redish purple cheap stuff you can get at the sporting good store. I use the same grease for my fishing reel. Don't know the name as the logo has worn off and have had it for several years in small tube.

Grease. I use Weapon Labs XF-7. I figure if it's good enough for my Garand then it should be good enough for my Remmy.

I use Tri-Flow Synthetic grease. A more of a bicycle grease. It's thin, stays put, and very slick. I use it on my ARs, 1911s, M14s, and bolt guns as well as my fishing reels.

I use Mil-Comm's tw-25b grease, I've used it on everything from Ar-15s and sigs to 1911s and m1 garands. great stuff

Hey Fredrick are you referring to Pinnacle Hot sauce? I have been debating using it on my bolt rifles. it stays put really well on my baitcasters so i would imagine it would work well on my bolts. Plus with the deep redish purple you can see if there is grease there or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Fredrick are you referring to Pinnacle Hot sauce? I have been debating using it on my bolt rifles. it stays put really well on my baitcasters so i would imagine it would work well on my bolts. Plus with the deep redish purple you can see if there is grease there or not. </div></div>

I really don't know what brand it is but it works good and sticks real well to fairly smooth metal surfaces, including the fishing reels.

Okay, Im willing to bet you are using the pinnacle hot sauce reel grease. Its great stuff. I will have to start using it on my bolt guns now. I was wondering how i would ever use all that grease on my reels.

The rule of thumb is "If you move it, oil it, if the gun moves it, grease it." With that being said, I grease it and I also make sure that every time I clean it, I remove all the old grease and replace it with new.

How about Slide Glide it has three flavors.It was more made for race guns but it works well and it stays were you put it.The thick flavor is like that of the consistency of SNOT. I for a oil self cleaning lubricant use KEL LUBE but if you are looking for a grease that stays were you put it then you could try this.

I like to use LocTite A-6750. It really seems to last a while. Plus it doesnt attract dirt once it dries.

Someone told me ATF was a good lube on bolts. Is there any truth to that? I'm trying it now but still skeptical. I still put some Tetra on the lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TW25B and Militec1 are the two lubes I currently use.

However there are piles out there that work just fine.</div></div>

Flipping this question the opposite way, have you ever seen a reason or condition for which TW25B would NOT be appropriate for this purpose? </div></div>

I have not used it in artic or talcum powder sand conditions. In every other situation I have used it, it has worked fine.

I use Slipstream Weapon Lubricant(liquid) on bolt body but use Shooter's Choice grease on lugs. That Slipstream feels slicker than Shooter's Choice or Mil-Com TW25B on my Steyr.