• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ok, so now what? *UPDATE...FAIL *

USCG Flyer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I keep hearing we are getting rid of M-14 EMRs and going to MK11s. So I figured I'd get ahead of the curve. Since I am a poor enlisted type, I thought a Armalite or DPMS would serve the purpose. So long story short, I found a few online and threw a half hearted bid on this one as I had my eye on an AR-10T also. I thought it would be cheap enough that if it didn't workout I could get rid of it. I really didn't think I'd win it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187984888

So now that it's mine, what to do? I figured replace the glass, a FF rail, maybe a trigger...anything else from the AR-10 gurus?

Re: Ok, so now what?

I'd start off with a trigger first, then scope. See how it shoots, if it's not a shooter, put a Krieger or Bartlein barrel on it. Upgrades and accessories are endless on AR10/AR10 variants.

Or you can just spend money on ammo and shoot away, it could already be a tack driver. Good luck!

decent price. if i were to want to start with the trigger i would send it to triggerworks.net i think it is. let him know its an ar10. for the $40 its a good start. there is a noveske in optics right now...

Yeah, I've heard good things about Springfield trigger jobs. I couldn't find the Noveske you were speaking of. Was it a trigger? I did see a RRA trigger group but it was gone.

I think you got a pretty good deal on that rifle. Well done. You should get that rifle to the range and figure out exactly what needs to be done. You may see it shooting 1MOA with good ammo and not need a new barrel. If it does, Noveske makes some great ones.

If I were you, I'd replace the trigger, stock, then barrel/rail, in that order. That'll be a good gun for you. Well done.

Don't waste your money on a trigger. I'm guessing, that since you said you were an enlisted man that you have experience with a service rifle trigger. That should be what this rifle has. Unless it is just a horrendous trigger that you cannot control I would wait to do anything with it. A trigger won't make the gun shoot any better.

First thing you are going to want to do is free float that barrel. Decide if you want a rail or just a tube, you will probably have to swap out the barrel nut and gas block. Having anything touch your barrel affects the natural harmonics, and very likely will cause you to miss your target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USCG Flyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep hearing we are getting rid of M-14 EMRs and going to MK11s.</div></div>

Congratulations on your winning bid and good luck with your new rifle.
Look for Gen II mags made by C.M.I. and consider an <span style="font-weight: bold">E1</span> free float rail from Superior Weapons Systems (SWS).

As for the 'M-14 EMRs':

The Marines have a small number of M39 EMRs and they may be replacing them
with a .308 AR type rifle, but the number of ARMY M14EBR-RI rifles is increasing.

If the rifle as a whole shoots well then just add ammo. You got one hell of a deal -- the sun shines out yer ass, boy.

A Geissele Super Semi Automatic (SSA) trigger will probably be the single best investment you can make on your rifle as-is. Other than that, ammunition and trigger time will be your best return-on-investment as you shoot and gain experience.

Nowadays most well-built guns will be more than adequate out to at least 500 yards with quality (not surplus or run-of-the mill GI or reject) cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Look for Gen II mags made by C.M.I. and consider an <span style="font-weight: bold">E1</span> free float rail from Superior Weapons Systems (SWS).
</div></div>

I have heard good things about the SWS rail. I looked at the Armalite factory offering as well and it didn't seem to bad. I have a couple free floats on AR-15s, but I don't have the tools for the large frame. I do know you can send it to SWS and they will do it for you which may be and option.
The first order of buisness will be a few GENII mags, as I'm thinking this rifle may be a bit older and it may come with the rebuilt M-14 mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the rifle as a whole shoots well then just add ammo. You got one hell of a deal -- the sun shines out yer ass, boy.

A Geissele Super Semi Automatic (SSA) trigger will probably be the single best investment you can make on your rifle as-is. Other than that, ammunition and trigger time will be your best return-on-investment as you shoot and gain experience.

Nowadays most well-built guns will be more than adequate out to at least 500 yards with quality (not surplus or run-of-the mill GI or reject) cartridges. </div></div>

I agree, I will throw a few boxes of Fed Gold, some M118LR and maybe a few handloads that have done well out of my bolt guns and M1As. You never know, may shoot great as is. Then everything will just be "making it mine". God knows I've spent enough on tweaking other guns. I will probably only shoot it mid-range anyway.

+1 on float rail. You want to get the tention from the bipod off the barrel. Then shoot what you got. Make changes as needed. I've got an AR-10T that I bought from our local SWAT long gunner when he moved on to narcotics. The only modification was shortening the barrel to 20" and recrowning it. The rifle will shoot Fed. GMM .75 - 1.0 MOA 10 shot groups at 200 yrds. Point is that if it was factory assembled, Armalite uses quality parts.
Welcome to the AR-10 family.

I have a Plain Jane AR-10 (Infantry Model?) that I purchased 8 years ago.

I had a NM trigger but swapped it out for a Geissele and shot it today with 147 gr reloads to check the Geissele and scope tracking. All shots were within MOA. 168 SMK shoot even better. I

The next mod will be a Magpul Stock to replace the stock pack wihich is a PITA on the AR-10. Down the road.....free float, Atlas,......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Plain Jane AR-10 (Infantry Model?) that I purchased 8 years ago.

I had a NM trigger but swapped it out for a Geissele and shot it today with 147 gr reloads to check the Geissele and scope tracking. All shots were within MOA. 168 SMK shoot even better. I

The next mod will be a Magpul Stock to replace the stock pack wihich is a PITA on the AR-10. Down the road.....free float, Atlas,...... </div></div>

I've put stocks on ar15s and ar10s and IMO it is not a PITA at all. The factory tube might be a bit hard to take off sometimes without a vise but if you have a strong grip it can be done with something as simple as a set angled pliers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The next mod will be a Magpul Stock to replace the stock pack which is a PITA on the AR-10.</div></div>

I've put stocks on ar15s and ar10s and IMO it is not a PITA at all. The factory tube might be a bit hard to take off sometimes without a vise but if you have a strong grip it can be done with something as simple as a set angled pliers. </div></div>

I think he's saying that he's getting a UBR because using a stock pack on his current stock is a PITA. But yes, I agree that it's a pretty easy mod to do.

Yep, stock pack.

Try to pull the charging handle back with a stock pack installed. And, even if I modified the stock pack, it still would not be high enough for me. Magpul.

CT

Well, after the guy finally resonded to email, he tried to charge extra for using Paypal and wasn't concerned with me sending him a FFL. I politely reminded him that he should have stated that in the auction. I asked him again for the fax number to send the FFL and told him it was for his protection not mine. long story short he writes me back and says just send payment even though I was not giving him "full value", ok, maybe so, but is it right for me to pay extra when this was not clearly stated as a term of auction? Again I told him he needs my FFLs copy.
I've tried to call his number, emailed a few times, no response. I sent this as one last attempt:

Sir,
I have tried a few times to reach you by email and have tried calling the phone number listed for contacts on Gunbroker. I have yet to receive a response. I wanted to talk about other payment options with you as you seem to have changed your mind on Paypal. As I stated, the extra 3% was not mentioned in the auction, and fees cannot be added after the auction is complete. I know you feel like you are not getting full value for the sale, but is it right for me to pay extra?
It is further troubling that you did not want my FFLs information the several times I asked for a fax number? The only response ingot was "send money, i'll ship". You, as a seller cannot ship without having a copy of my dealers FFL. This is for your protection, not mine. As I mentioned, I am about to deploy for military duty and would like to resolve this quickly. If you feel like this sold for less than it's worth, I'm sorry but I bid in accordance with the auction you started. It is not fair to ask for more than it sold for. I offered a postal MO so you would get full price with no fees. I am waiting for your wishes. I will not send $900 plus dollars to a seller who does not communicate. I would like to finish this deal, please advise.

So, again no contact for three days. That's fine, I have plenty of fine firearms in the safe to enjoy, it's a buyers market right now and no shortage of AR-10s. Back to the drawing board I guess.So how is that new DPMS MK12?

was this someone who had zero feedback on gunbroker? send them an email saying you'll leave negative feedback, this should give him some incentive communicate if your still interested in it

dude id take this as a chance to back the Eff out of this sale. contact the auction sites admins and be glad it went this way. but thats just me

Yeah, the guy had only one feedback from some time ago, as a buyer. After I sent him the final email I did email GB staff and explain. They were 100% on board with my feelings on the matter and released me from the purchase. Like I said, I've bought quite a few guns off forums and auction sites and never had a problem. On the contrary, I've met a few good people through these transactions.
It's not a problem though, plenty out there. Thrill of the hunt and all that...I liked that one due to the barrel profile and no damn foward assist. Then again, I know the DPMS pattern mags are quite a bit cheaper and it seems the gun itself runs a bit less as well. Looked at RRA, but I was trying to get something more in line with the KAC mostly for muscle memory.

+1 for backing out. I hope that you mentioned to GB that he wanted to complete the transaction illegally. I got ripped off on that site some time ago by a seller that sent me a completly different gun than he had listed. Long story short I ended up losing my ass on that one. I'm very cautious now.

I know this is after the fact, but I think you saved yourself some grief as my understanding is that PayPal is very anti-gun. Had the payment gone through them and you listed it as payment for a rifle I don't think they'd be happy.

Looked again at the auction and saw he was using PayPal as a payment option. Yeah, he screwed that up, he was either blindly clicking next when he listed the rifle or he should've said PayPal would be the extra 3% as some do for C/C purchases. Still wouldn't use PayPal for a firearm.