• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Ironsides...USS Constitution sails again

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    The USS Constitution, the US Navy‘s oldest commissioned warship will set sail under its own power for the second time in more than 100 years on Sunday in commemoration of the battle that won it the nickname “Old Ironsides.”

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/MMdBWWDWRQ8[/video]

USS-Constitution-To-Set-Sail-Again.png

The USS Constitution will be tugged from its berth in Boston Harbor to the main deepwater pathway into the harbor. From then, the ship that was first launched in 1797 will sail the open seas for a 10-minute cruise before heading back to its home, reports The Huffington Post.

The short yet memorable cruise marks the day 200 years ago when Old Ironsides bested the British HMS Guerriere in a fierce battle in the war of 1812. This is the first time the USS Constitution has been to sea under its own power since its 200th birthday in 1997.

While Old Ironsides is sometimes tugged into the harbor for historical display, before 1997, it hadn’t sailed under its own power since 1881. Chief Petty Officer Frank Neely, a Constitution spokesman and crew member, hopes that Sunday’s sail hopes to honor and preserve the over two century old ship. Neely stated:

“This ship is a national icon to us. … She’s very special to us. We think she’s very special to the United States.”

The New York Daily News notes that Captain Issac Hull commanded the USS Constitution during the battle with the Guerriere off of Nova Scotia on August 19, 1812. The two ships engaged in a battle that lasted 35 minutes, during which the Guerriere appeared to be no match for the American Constitution. The ship’s 24-pound cannonballs easily took out the Guerriere’s mast, but the British ship’s 18-pound cannonballs failed to significantly damage the Constitution.

Matthew Brenckle, a historian at the USS Constitution Museum stated that a sailor’s memoirs recorded one cannonball slightly penetrating the ship before dropping into the sea. The sailor then cried out:

“Huzzah, her sides are made of iron! See where the shot fell out!”

From then on, the Constitution was nicknamed Old Ironsides. Brenckle added that:

“Strategically, it really did nothing to change the course of the war. But the morale boost that that provided for the American cause, I think was quite important.”

Sunday’s sail will include the Constitution’s 65-person crew, as well as 150 sailors selected to be involved in the event. The US Navy’s oldest commissioned warship will unfurl four of its 36 sails and tugs will be standing by as a precaution, though the Constitution is expected to sail on its own.

The USS Constitution recently underwent a three year long restoration project, including restoration of the ship’s three large masts. Check out more information about the USS Constitution and her history below:

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/305422/old-iron...6FcHHhTM5MsG.99

Re: Old Ironsides...USS Constitution sails again

I know this press release is from the Constitution itself, because it's on the Constitution website. It's also wrong. She sailed under her own power with a tug alongside on 31 AUG 2007. Unless of course the Navy itself is unable to determine what "sailing under it's own power" means
    http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=50772
    web_070831-N-9793B-001.jpg

070831-N-9793B-001 BOSTON HARBOR (Aug. 31, 2007) – USS Constitution sails under her own power, manned by more than 150 sailors selected for promotion to chief petty officer. At 209 years old, ”Old Ironsides” is the oldest commissioned warship afloat. It is normally manned by 64 active duty Navy Sailors, and visited by nearly half a million tourists annually. U.S. Navy photo by Seaman Brian M. Brooks

I got to go on that ship about 4 months ago. Its was great!

I wish they'd fire off those big guns once or twice though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got to go on that ship about 4 months ago. Its was great!

I wish they'd fire off those big guns once or twice though!</div></div>

I was on it back in 2009 while they were still working to restore it. It was quite small for someone who stands 6'3" and goes 275

I heard somewhere that is was built out of green oak, dunno if it's true or not. Anyways, with the oak being green and not seasoned properly it made cannonballs bounce off the deck. Cool story if true.

she's made out of Live Oak, those wierd looking trees from the south. thats part of the reason as to why she's stayed around so long. her keel is the last 14% of her that is original, the rest... get this- apparently back in the day, America precut a huge amount of live oak and dropped it to the bottom of a lake to preserve it for future use in order to facilitate shipbuilding and repairs in times of emergency. I'm pretty sure thats where they got the wood for her first 20th century refit, and possibly the others. plus, theres a huge swath of Live Oak forest just east of Gulf Breeze Florida that was designated for emergency shipbuilding use back in the day... and sure enough, gummint's still hangin onto it. Really nice Bike Trail.

This is very cool to see such a awesome piece of history sailing under its own power. Love it!

Hey Maggot - I recall about 10 years ago they "talked" or actually decomissioned her - that was not true?

I saw her back in 1983, ex wife destroyed my pics after the divorce though
    frown.gif
    Irreplacable pics.

THe USS Constitution is still a comissioned warship, manned by and active duty USN crew.

Annually they have a "turn around" cruise where they tug it out into the harbor out to Castle Island, fire off a 21 gun salute with their cannon, and back into the Charleston Navy yard.

I think they do it so that it weathers evenly.

It's a pretty swanky affair. Well catered and tickets are hard to come by. Lots of politicians.

Got to go on one the summer of 1990 (went with a friend who's dad was the XO of the Naval Air Station in South Weymouth. It was really cool.

Got to crew one of the turn arounds in 06 was a once in a lifetime event to say the least. As stated above its rotated each year to weather it evenly.

Yes she is still an active duty ship and has a chain of command and crew composed of active duty Sailors. Duty to her is considered "Special Programs" and screening for orders is as selective as the top level honor guard deatils. The additional crew needed to execute the turn arounds are almost entirely CPO selectees for that year.

What made this event such a big deal is the sails were unfurled and she was under her own power for a short stint. The turn around I was on we were tied to the tugs the entire time still alot of fun and fond memories but not as cool as actualy "Sailing" her.