• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

old people.... almost old guy looking for advice

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
Been dirt riding, big bend desert, Sam Houston Forest technical riding, Probably got a thousand off road miles in over the last week on my 1290 SA and the Yammy 450FX, treacherous like dying with head cracked open in a lava field or a dry river bed riding. I am getting old at 54, my muscles are still feeling okay however m joints are starting to hurt a bit. Any supplements I should be taking, mostly elbows, fingers and shoulders. Any of u old farts run into this and how did you address it?

eh, i live on a steady diet of Ibuprophen...

im not quite as well "seasoned" as some of yall.......but ive got arthritis stemming from some lovely repeat injuries.....doctors told me to try taking Glucosamine Chondrotin ( osteo bi-flex)........it doesnt do shit.

This is exactly why I suggested a column "Men's Health" so we can advise one another....ignored.

Several things I take for arthritis, youngster. Start with licorice root capsules and add Tumeric. Take BioPerine (a black pepper extract) with the Tumeric to help it absorb. Also I take a couple tablespoons or raw local honey each morning. Perhaps more important than anything is to cut out ALL white sugar. It is nothing but poison to the body. Cutting back on dairy/flesh is also wise as it lowers the amount of uric acid in youre system. That should help the arthritis.

Their are other suggestions, like a regular massage/physical therapy session. Try a place called Massage Envy. You join for a year and once a month get an hour of massage for $40 or 90 minutes for $60. they are nationwide and it helps. Ask for the one hardest to get an appointment with.

I have had success with cherry juice concentrate.
Half a shot to a glass of water seemed to help.
Working on equipment on gravel and concrete can make the joints sore.

R

I have had success with cherry juice concentrate.
Half a shot to a glass of water seemed to help.
Working on equipment on gravel and concrete can make the joints sore.

R

Ive fucked eith so much crete I smelled like lime for 5 years after I quit. Makes me itch just thinking about it.

Tart cherry, not sweet, is better.

Which reminds me of an old grade school saying PPB may relate to

The blacker the cherry,
The sweeter the bush.

Last edited:
I agree that the Glucosamine Chondroitin shit is over priced and I never noticed an improvement. I'm a "youngster" at 44 in this conversation, but I've treated my body like a stolen rental car. At one point I had 2 MRI's in a week for totally separate ortho injuries.

This is a great topic and I much prefer the homeopathic route whenever possible. Ibuprofen is about the strongest med I'll take when I really jack myself up.

Huge +1 for a true therapeutic massage where some sadistic prick of a masseuse literally breaks apart 20 years of knots. If I'm not hyperventilating in pain then it's not a helpful massage. I regained about 5yrs worth of mobility in my lower body from one 1hr session. That's after 50+ hours of actual physical therapy that accomplished shit.

Been dirt riding, big bend desert, Sam Houston Forest technical riding, Probably got a thousand off road miles in over the last week on my 1290 SA and the Yammy 450FX, treacherous like dying with head cracked open in a lava field or a dry river bed riding. I am getting old at 54, my muscles are still feeling okay however m joints are starting to hurt a bit. Any supplements I should be taking, mostly elbows, fingers and shoulders. Any of u old farts run into this and how did you address it?

Do not give in to the pain or start taking meds for it. I started having the same issue at 55 but instead pushed myself threw the pain and after awhile the pain started going away on it's own. Now In the am I push threw it with exercises an I take nothing for pain. Be 70 in a few months, an with the exercise regiment I do now my Bp runs 115/68 to 125/75 w/o any meds.
The old adage use it or lose it applies, an I see it in people way younger than I, they won't push threw at all. Easy way is the wrong way. Old age is not for the weak, trust me. I still plan on doing a few more run an guns before I check out. Will I come in the top 20-40% probability not but, even if I'm last I'm still way ahead of those who would not even try/can't or say they are to old. Quitting do to age or pain, is for wimps. If I die while doing a run an gun so be it, at least I did not check out pissing/shitting myself to death in some old folks home.

Wobenzym N

Biill Super Foot Wallace turned me on to this years ago and it is my life saver. A lot of martial artist have used it for years. I think it is used more in Europe.
  • Douglas Laboratories ® , a leading provider of dietary supplements, is proud to offer the authentic German formula of Wobenzym ® N This well known enzyme preparation is designed to promote healthy joints and muscles, support healthy circulation, strengthen the immune system, and support healthy aging
It's enzyme based so it doesn't hurt you like Advil. It is the same type of enzymes that your body produces to remove inflammation and not sure why it works but it does a great job. Turned on a lot of my buddies to it and they all have had great success with it.

it does days several days to feel a big difference. I usually take 5-6 tablets 3 times a day for the first 2 days, go down to 2-3 each 3 times a day then down to to 2 twice a day for a day or two and then two a day after that. It is a gradual improvement and then you start not to notice the discomfort. The biggest issue is you start to feel so much better you quit taking it and it but continue on the 2 a day deal.

If I am feeling a sinus infection I start it right away and and have decreased them almost completely since I started that.

after several knee and ankle operations it my go to that doesn't bother my stomach.

i get the 800 count from amazon but it is available other places. I do a lot of single track and I never leave home without it. If I am going for some long rides I usually ramp up a couple of days prior to,hitting the trails.

im not quite as well "seasoned" as some of yall.......but ive got arthritis stemming from some lovely repeat injuries.....doctors told me to try taking Glucosamine Chondrotin ( osteo bi-flex)........it doesnt do shit.

Fully agree, Osteo Bi-Flex did nothing for me either.

Solution for hips; 2 x total hip arthroplasty. If any of you are having problems with your hips or knees and surgery is the solution, don't be a dummy (like me) and put it off. It's life changing. I was mildly nervous on my first one, but it was a breeze. Second one; cruise control. I had scrip's for Oxy/Hydro, but I hated it and just took regular old Rite Aid ASPIRIN. I aspirined (no pain meds) my way through the second hip recovery.

And, as Gunfighter says above, don't take pain meds, that's not the solution. I take a bunch of aspirin as it's an anti-inflammatory and does me the most good. Personally, I hated Oxy/Hydro. I don't know how anyone could become addicted to it, but I hear it's pretty common. That is what you want to avoid at all costs.

Thanks gents, I dont like taking drugs, broke back and never took anything more than a bayer until the knocked me out to operate then bayer after. My hips are good just elbows hands and shoulders. I will get back to pull ups, chin ups and push ups and see if that works. I now have a black eye after telling old lady I will be getting a hour long massage every month at happy endings massage parlor. She ddnt find it funny.

Fully agree, Osteo Bi-Flex did nothing for me either.

Solution for hips; 2 x total hip arthroplasty. If any of you are having problems with your hips or knees and surgery is the solution, don't be a dummy (like me) and put it off. It's life changing. I was mildly nervous on my first one, but it was a breeze. Second one; cruise control. I had scrip's for Oxy/Hydro, but I hated it and just took regular old Rite Aid ASPIRIN. I aspirined (no pain meds) my way through the second hip recovery.

And, as Gunfighter says above, don't take pain meds, that's not the solution. I take a bunch of aspirin as it's an anti-inflammatory and does me the most good. Personally, I hated Oxy/Hydro. I don't know how anyone could become addicted to it, but I hear it's pretty common. That is what you want to avoid at all costs.

I would agree avoid addiction at all costs, but pain meds, like anything else have their place.

Due to a upper spinal injury at about 6 years old Ive been in severe pain since. I have a picture of myself in a neck cast in the hospital. I believe I showed that to Sirh when he was here. Add in a couple other spine injuries, and working as a timber cutter and stonemason, and it hurts like a bitch most of the time. Since I was 6. Keeps me awake at night. I have a prescription for dilaudid, and I find 4-6 mg about every 2 weeks, just lets my old body relax enough to get a good nights sleep. Thats big at 67. You just have to know yourself and your limits. Some should never touch it just like an alcoholic should never touch alcohol.

First of all you are still a freakin Stud riding big bikes hard!! Respect for you. I suffer like you do. .....
Stretch, soak, ibpro Glucosamine Chondroitin ice. That is about it. It hurts worse not to ride than it hurts to ride. Tuck n roll, count your body parts, wear good pads !
Keep Bustin !

After strenuous physical activity . I don't mean gardening I mean the 10ft tall and bullet proof shit that everybody on here does . Take a warm shower , Fill a tub with cold water and 4lbs of ice , soak for two minutes . Some say that they take a follow up warm shower , I never have and that routine works like an effin miracle . All of the other stuff that everyone is saying helps . Its like layers . Each one helps a little so you can manage but the reality is that as you get older it gets worse and you get used to that too . Be forewarned though you will have days when you wake up and ask yourself " how the fuck is it possible to still be alive and in this much fuckin pain " . Take it as a badge of honor . We are the stock that legends are made of and while no one will write shit about the majority of us young men need shoulders to stand on . Even if those shoulders are sore as fuck . Or I am just a fucktard that abused the shit outta his body . Could go either way .

Do not give in to the pain or start taking meds for it. I started having the same issue at 55 but instead pushed myself threw the pain and after awhile the pain started going away on it's own. Now In the am I push threw it with exercises an I take nothing for pain. Be 70 in a few months, an with the exercise regiment I do now my Bp runs 115/68 to 125/75 w/o any meds.
The old adage use it or lose it applies, an I see it in people way younger than I, they won't push threw at all. Easy way is the wrong way. Old age is not for the weak, trust me. I still plan on doing a few more run an guns before I check out. Will I come in the top 20-40% probability not but, even if I'm last I'm still way ahead of those who would not even try/can't or say they are to old. Quitting do to age or pain, is for wimps. If I die while doing a run an gun so be it, at least I did not check out pissing/shitting myself to death in some old folks home.

Sir, I respect the hell out of you and what you just said. I agree 100%. I'm only 45 but due to a lifetime of beating my body like a damn punching bag, I've got arthritis and pains galore. But I discovered that exercise is like magic. I even shorten colds by exercising right through it, I call BS on laying around resting till you feel better.

It comes down to staying physical makes me feel better. If I can't workout for a few days because of a rough work schedule, I start falling apart. All the pains come out with a vengeance. If I keep up with my daily weights and cardio, I feel 20 years younger.

You are so right about push through it. I finally retired from racing motorcycles a few years ago and I learned all this during healing race injuries. The best and fastest way to heal injuries is to work through them. I'm talking work hard, continue to lift weights because you need to keep all your supporting muscles strong. Just reduce the amount of weight but you have to keep your whole body working. It really does make the pain better!

I'm 70, pushing 71, and been through some rough calls. I am 6' 4", maybe 6' 5:" and maintain a weight of 175. Not very physically active, but also not afraid to push my envelope when it's necessary to accommodate a goal. Heart issues (COPD/CHF) impose upper limits (fairly restrictive ones) on my stamina, my basic resting O2/heart rate run about 92/80.

Tried the Glucosamine, no perceptible effect.

The only thing i have ever tried that had a positive benefit is Chair Yoga. Significantly increases my physical range of motion, improved oxygenation, brings my heart rate down by around 10 bpm. I do one hour a week in a guided context. It's something I can do alongside my Wife, and we both come out with an increased sense of wellness.

I have acquired an adult three wheeled bicycle, and am bringing it into my basic regimen to build stamina.

On the whole, I believe that a very gradual increase in tempo is bringing me/us back from an overly vegetative state. My unexpected disappointment where my body balked on me at the Berger SW LR Nationals has basically bitch-slapped me into an understanding that my goals can be met, but they are not going to come for free.

Greg

Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements have been studied extensively by the medical research community, and found to have "clinically-proven" benefits, in that they can improve the condition of joint cartilage and synovial fluid (i.e. joint lube). But what they do is much more effective at reducing the RATE of degeneration in the joints than actually reversing existing damage (but they will do that too, to some extent). That's why some people notice an improvement in their joint pain when they take it, and others don't. But it's main benefit, slowing down the rate of degeneration, isn't so easily noticed except by researchers who do studies that examine large populations over long periods of time and do the comparisons. Also note, it generally takes 4-6 weeks of taking it to get the maximum benefit, and it is common to take 2x the maintenance dose for those first 4-6 weeks, then drop down to the maintenance dose from there on. Finally, since these are "supplements" and not drugs, they are not regulated by FDA for quality or effectiveness, only safety. Therefore, unlike a drug which has to pass FDA standards for content and efficacy to be marketed, you only have the manufacturer's word and reputation to go on when you take one of these supplements. There's no regulating the quality of what's in the product, and you can BET that it varies from absolutely zero (less reputable manufacturers) to absolutely pharmaceutical-grade stuff that would actually pass FDA scrutiny if it were a requirement. My advice is to look for a Glucosamine/Chondroitin product that is manufactured by a company that also manufactures drugs that ARE FDA-regulated. Yes, they will probably cost more than the poor-quality ones.

We also know that Omega-3 Fatty Acids (fish oils) have clinically-proven anti-inflammatory effects in degenerative joints. They're also supposed to be effective in reducing coronary artery disease in humans, and I used to take them. Then a study came out that they may increase the rate of prostate cancer, and I was dealing with a bout of prostatitis at that time so I quit taking it!

do you drink it or spray topically

per the story's I have been told, topically and it was knees, feet, elbows and hands only. But it is fish oil and they make fish oil pills. I'd go the pill route so you are not absorbing any toxins added to the mix in WD-40.

Figures... yeah, don't be using wd-40.

enhanced-buzz-29453-1366908649-14.jpg

Ingested "enzymes" are a scam. Your stomach breaks protein (enzymes are proteins with chemical activities) down to monomeric amino acids. You would do better to spend your money on a protein supplement.

"Do not give in to the pain or start taking meds for it. I started having the same issue at 55 but instead pushed myself threw the pain and after awhile the pain started going away on it's own."

So true. 62 years old with a litany of injuries playing hockey through college. Just finished a 50 mile ride this morning in preparation for riding Iron Horse in Durango in May. Degenerative scoliosis in lower back and get muscles spasms which hurt like hell when riding but just stretch and push through it. Hit the weights at the gym several times a week. Tried the supplements and just never noticed much difference. Funny, when I skip working out for a week or two that when things start to hurt. Best thing that works for me for muscle and joint pain is Aleve.

you candy asses need to go downtown and rent some ass...

I guess 5 of us could split one since we are only good for 3 minutes at a time. That would still giver her time to clean the house.

At 53, after anything strenuous outside of normal PT, I take 3 over the counter Ibuprofen, just to get a jump on it. 90% of the time, that does the trick. It's the only "drug" I take, outside of Bud and Cope.

Look into "golden milk", its got most of what Maggot described above. With a search, you'll find there are several recipes to make it...

I make mine with:

~8oz. organic 2% milk (warmed up, but not boiled)
1 tbsp. local raw honey
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1tsp. organic coconut oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

It actually tastes really good, and I have noticed joint pain relief after using it for a few months...

Look into "golden milk", its got most of what Maggot described above. With a search, you'll find there are several recipes to make it...

I make mine with:

~8oz. organic 2% milk (warmed up, but not boiled)
1 tbsp. local raw honey
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1tsp. organic coconut oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

It actually tastes really good, and I have noticed joint pain relief after using it for a few months...

Excellent recipe, the coconut oil is great stuff.

All of my joints are stiff except for the one I want the stiffest.

Damn, Mike, Ive got exactly opposite the problem. That one is stiff all the time. Could it be the organic foods?

TAKE THE PAIN
I'm doing a pretty good job of arriving at deaths door thoroughly used up. That is my long term goal.
MV5BMjgwODE5NTE3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg1MzgxNA__V1__SX93_SY140_.jpg

" I'm doing a pretty good job of arriving at deaths door thoroughly used up. That is my long term goal. " Funny the 20 year old in me says hey wanna race .

Everybody taking "Vitamin I" on an almost daily basis, you may want to listen up Within the last two years, an increasing body of evidence shows significant cardiac risk with long-term ibuprofen use. Happened to me, and I barely avoided needing a pacemaker.

Occasional use is not a problem; it only shows up with almost daily use over two or more years. I switched to naproxen (generic of Aleve). It has the lowest cardiac risk profile of NSAIDS.

Best treatment for an acute injury is ice and immobilization/reduced use for 3 days. Ice at night, followed by moist heat and range of motion exercise in the morning/ before workout or strenuous activity. Bring the injured part back online gradually. Ironically, inflammation is a necessary part of healing, and NSAIDS, while reducing pain, can actually slow the time to recovery. Just watch the heart.

4-6 ounces of gin or bourbon daily. Eat what you want, but in moderation. Have a great love in your life! Keep the body moving and mind engaged. Enjoy a good cigar with a friend at least weekly. Give some time to kids, elderly and Vets.

These are the things that got me to be a very Old Top.

Last edited:
4-6 ounces of gin or bourbon daily. Eat what you want, but in moderation. Have a great love in your life! Keep the body moving and mind engaged. Enjoy a good cigar with a friend at least weekly. Give some time to kids, elderly and Vets.

Excellent advice but Ill pass on the cigar.

Best advice I've read in a while! Thanks Top! but, but, but ( in my very best small voice) I don't like gin

Best advice I've read in a while! Thanks Top! but, but, but ( in my very best small voice) I don't like gin

I drink bourbon when the temperature is below 70 and gin when it is over 70. Drink what you like as long as you take time to relax

Excellent advice but Ill pass on the cigar.

No problem. Just take out some time to relax and connect with a friend. Switchblade and I talk, smoke a cigar and drink a bourbon every Sunday night, over the phone

No problem. Just take out some time to relax and connect with a friend. Switchblade and I talk, smoke a cigar and drink a bourbon every Sunday night, over the phone

The Switch is a class act. tell him Maggot says hello and to get in touch sometime.