• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Powder?

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
So, I have some old powders that I am scared to open. Some are in the old metal containers. Some in the plastic with all white labels. We are not sure how old it is. When does powder become useless?
Is that powder "unstable or Dangerous" ?
Does powder really become "unstable or dangerous"

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how/where it was stored. Dry, cool place will keep much longer then unheated/non air conditioned garage. If in dought use it to fertilize the roses.

OFG

I know an old guy who bought small cardboard drums in like 1977. He is still loading from them. Always kept inside an unheated room.

Cannot say I agree with the NOx smell off gunpowder, but fortunately I haven't smelled it. I have, however, smelled 8 gunpowders side by side and most of them smell different from one another. They do stink, and I can also say if a gunpowder doesn't smell, it does not mean it is not good.

I load VV N550 that was made in 1995 and it gives some of the best groups out of my 308.
Just traded for Hogdon H870 that was still in the paper pound sacks from the late '60s. I thought, "what the hell - give it a try."
Loaded up 10 rounds of 338LM 250gr Hornady SP bullets with 95 grains of H870. Thought I'd try it as a hunting round. Shot them this weekend at 450 and 500 yards in a 10-15mph x wind.
Didn't check velocity or anything. Found my POA at 450 then moved onto the air tank at 500. 4/5 at that distance. Not even getting on the board at any competitions with that, but it made me happy considering the cost of my loaded round was this:
14¢ : bullet
11¢ : H870 at approx $8/lb
17¢ : Brass, assuming 10 reloads
4¢ : Primer
46¢ : cost of a loaded round.

I think I'll go back to the guy I got it from and get a lot more, this time negotiating a better deal.

To get a better idea, I'll chrono the next batch to see how they perform.

Last edited:
just kind of curious what does the paper sack look like? I got into reloading in high school and caught the tail end of the tin cans. I have 5 pounds of IMR700x in a tin can that I have no use for since I don't load for the shotgun anymore.

I have shot IMR 4350 from the late 40's against 2 year old of the same and the point of impact at 500 meters was the same .The old stuff did have some red dust from the rust in the cans but wasn't a problem and the powder still had that faint acetone smell which is a good smell and if it smells like vinegar its time to dump it . Arnie

just kind of curious what does the paper sack look like? I got into reloading in high school and caught the tail end of the tin cans. I have 5 pounds of IMR700x in a tin can that I have no use for since I don't load for the shotgun anymore.

Paper sack was a little white double bag. Outside was thin white paper with cheesy label with H870 stamped on it as if from a rubber stamp and printed were the Hogdon name, the site and date of manufacture (date may have been stamped). Inner sack was a treated brown paper. Bag dimensions were approximately 2"w x 3"L x 7" high when emptied. I emptied them into a container right there.
Believe me, I thought while doing it I would probably regret the trade. At least we had a great conversation over good beer.

I have never seen sacks.

But I have some paper cans of Bullseye and at least one other powder. Bullseye has just a snap in plastic plug for the top. The other has a nifty pull out spout.

I recently loaded up a good bit of WW231 from metal cans (mid 90s purchase) and it works fine.

Not sure about blackpowder but smokeless (as far as I know) doesn't become "unstable or dangerous" but more the other direction-dead or inert (others will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure).

I have alot of different powders and as P7 said, most have different smells, ranging from sweet to not so much. I've "heard" that they will start to develop a bitter, acrid type smell when they start breaking down.

FWIW, I've got cases of 40's/50's MilSurp ammo and alot (most) of it has that bitter smell but I've never had a FTF out of them.

ETA: If I can't read the label on the can or know what it is, it becomes flower food no matter how it smells.

Also, I shouldn't have said they don't become dangerous or unstable but rather I've never come into contact with any (as far as I know). I was given some powder from an older reloader (I'm 57) that he stored In his non-climate controlled garage for 20+ years and it had turned almost white and deader than a hammer. But it also had almost no smell so possibly the gases had been bled off.

Last edited:
Smokeless can become dangerous and unstable. Though I can only guess it would have to be abused for a very long time. Black powder is already dangerous and unstable as far as I am concerned. I know of an incident where some powder was left in a garage for many years and it spontaneously combusted. There was great and wide speculation about whether it was black or smokeless.

thanks for all the data! i think i am going to try and load some. i will follow up later.