• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old school 40x questions

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I'm looking at a few wood stocked 40x-7.62 Remington repeaters. One has a blued barrel. One a stainless. All the ones I've seen in the past only came with stainless barrels. Even the single shots. Did they come with blued barrels with wood stocks?

I've seen and have several 40x-r's(22s) with blued factory barrels. I seem to recall a really low serial # 222 that had a blued barrel. Crown looked like someone used a chisel on it 90 degrees to bore! Recrowning dropped group size by 8 inches. Ended up letting Berger rebarrel fo 6PPC. Could be a replacement barrel contoured same as factory barrel.

If you've found an older 40-x, and you can afford it, grab it. Don't get rid of that barrel until you shoot it, and know for sure of its character. 40-x rifles absolutely came blued, and ABSOLUTELY came with wooden stocks. Is the barrel tapped for a front sight, by chance?

Good luck with your search - the older models are great rifles. My 40XB Ser. # 0572xxx came with a synthetic stock, blued receiver and stainless barrel.

Yes they did come with blued barrels and wooden stocks. And they flat shoot.