• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Olympics Biathlon

russ10x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Connecticut
Anyone like me, getting up early to watch the Biathlon? I know it is not tactical, but it's roots do begin with wartime ski borne riflemen It is reportedly THE hardest event in the Olympics. And the folks who say that are the Olympians themselves. The Americans have a contender this year!

You have to go to NBC or the olympic web site for times. I am guessing around 3 AM....but half of us are up responding to threads on this site anyway!!

As much as I'd enjoy watching, I'll probably miss it. I'll be in bed. However, I noticed on youtube that they show old clips of 'em, and I do catch those every once in a while.

It does not make the mainstream media much at all.

One of the 3P Olympic Shooters told me once "It is easier to teach a skier to shoot than to teach a shooter to ski. That skiing stuff is hard."

Anyone like me, getting up early to watch the Biathlon? I know it is not tactical, but it's roots do begin with wartime ski borne riflemen It is reportedly THE hardest event in the Olympics. And the folks who say that are the Olympians themselves. The Americans have a contender this year!

I would SERIOUSLY look into getting a Digital Video Recorder ("DVR"). I use the one from Directv. I have found that out of 5 hours of NNBC Olympics coverage, I only am interested in 45 minutes. Think about that. I record the coverage the night before. Then watch everything I want in one hour, no commercials, no vignettes and no silly ice dancing bullshit. I turn on the tube, watch what I want, then go to bed. Gives me a lot more time to be with my family.

They are easy to program and use. You can also buy your own from TiVO and other vendors, but you must have digital cable or satellite inputs.

Good luck and I am also looking forward to the Biathlon coverage.

On the women's biathalon side, you have to check out these two twin sisters if you haven't heard of them. TWIN BIATHLETES They are real shooters, great competitors and have a fun approach to marketing themselves.

Both had been expected to qualify for the Olympics (both have competed for the US before). In the spirit of true partnership, the one twin Lanny fell ill during the trials, while her sister Tracy qualified; but Tracy gave up her spot to her sister. Amazing story. Here's a link to an interview afterward (on NPR) U.S. Biathlete Gives Up Olympic Spot To Her Twin Sister : NPR

I'll be setting the DVR and hoping to catch some of the coverage and watch it with my kids... I find it interesting that it is a sport that has some huge attendance at events in Europe. Always had thought it would be a difficult sport from a spectator standpoint, but that is apparently not the case... A US medal would do some great things for increasing participation in the sport; and given all the snow this winter, I figure there is plenty of opportunity for folks to try out cross country for the first time! :)

The wife and I attended the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and were able to see the biathlon in person. It was pretty impressive. Amazing athletes...

I served many years in a skipatrol unit in the Norwegian National Guard. I am a regular competition shooter with cross country skiing as a hobby and a nice way to stay fit. Some of the other guys I served with were former, and a few active, professional biathletes and cross country skiers. Our mission was classic guerrilla warfare/stay behind enemy lines. The level of fitness these guys have must be experienced to be believed. Going 20km on skies in a couple of hours, performing an ambush, and retreating the same distance cost them nothing. I, however was DOA (dead on arrival). I sometimes served as their shooting instructor with G3 rifles. Their natural born competetiveness meant that they competed at whatever they did including regular shooting. One example, a former olympic champion (Eirik Kvalfoss, gold 1984 Sarajevo) was/is also a hunter and he was very good with a G3. A deadly combination for the intended mission.

This military unit consists of athles and other types of outdoor expers like mountainklimbers, polar explores, etc. When I discharged about 15 years ago these +/- 150 men had won about 30 olympic medals combined. Another group of guys had klimbed Mount Everest or crossed the south and north pole.( One guy, Erling Kagge, has the hat trick; north pole, south pole and Everest..) It is an interesting group of people that are extremely knowlegable about survival in extreme conditions. I was once invited to cross Greenland on skies as a casual social event. I declined :)

Last edited:
I actually watch all the Olympic shooting on YouTube, it isn't live but feels the same to me. I especially like the 50 meter prone...

I always try to watch Olympic Biathlon - it is an "extreme" sport, extremely hard. The level of fitness required is huge. And watch how fast the shooters cycle those Anny Fortner actions!

I'm stoked. Love the biathlon. It is really a lot more entertaining than any of the other shooting events. Crank the heart rate up, take away any special shooting apparel, and give them those nifty Fortner actions. I would say it looks like fun, but that skiing part looks pretty miserable and you know they make those folks do more of it when they miss. It's like a Japanese game show.

The change to skating as apposed to just diagonal striding has really pushed the Biathlon into another sport as far as the skiing is concerned.
I dont really enjoy watching shooting on TV (or other organized sports) but the level of skiing exhibited in the Biathlon has really gotten me excited about it.

Biathlon FTW!!! Will definitely be setting the DVR for the early races.

I find it interesting that it is a sport that has some huge attendance at events in Europe.

It's their equivalent to football.

The wife and I attended the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and were able to see the biathlon in person. It was pretty impressive. Amazing athletes...

I've been there 3 times now (2008, 2011, 2013) and I love that place. The big climb out of the bottom of the course sucks, but the rest rides like a roller coaster (with blind downhill corners:eek:).

I'm stoked. Love the biathlon. It is really a lot more entertaining than any of the other shooting events. Crank the heart rate up, take away any special shooting apparel, and give them those nifty Fortner actions. I would say it looks like fun, but that skiing part looks pretty miserable and you know they make those folks do more of it when they miss. It's like a Japanese game show.

They at least give us a sling and cuff. (just try hitting that 45mm prone target without one!). I'll take the 150m penalty loop over a 1 min time penalty (individual format) any day! Though, if you lose count and skip a loop it's a 2 min time penalty. (ask me how I know:eek:)

Classic biathlon, ski fieldtarget comp with big bore rifles

Almost like in the old days.

Pictures from 2012 Norwegian ski field target championship with big bore rifles, usually Sauer STR 6.5x55:

2107801_h201eeb575063f4b48654_v1332595666_1024x1024.jpeg

2109712_h4d363af12dc75ff87de4_v1332761335_562x450.jpeg

2109738_h7ada6d4ebf19588514ba_v1332762460_562x450.jpeg

Longest range in last picture is probably 450m.

There are only a few comps like this every year and shooters don't have rails for harnesses on their regular matchrifles. That's why rifles are not carried here. Classic style cross country skiing.

Nice picture from a 2010 comp:

skifeltskyting_mid_3116598a.JPG

Last edited:
Almost like in the old days.

Pictures from 2012 Norwegian ski field target championship with big bore rifles, usually Sauer STR 6.5x55:

2107801_h201eeb575063f4b48654_v1332595666_1024x1024.jpeg

2109712_h4d363af12dc75ff87de4_v1332761335_562x450.jpeg

2109738_h7ada6d4ebf19588514ba_v1332762460_562x450.jpeg

Longest range in last picture is probably 450m.

There are only a few comps like this every year and shooters don't have rails for harnesses on their regular matchrifles. That's why rifles are not carried here. Classic style cross country skiing.

Nice picture from a 2010 comp:

skifeltskyting_mid_3116598a.JPG

This is so great! Thanks for the post!!!!!! Do you have video?

I have not been, and probably won't in the near future, but there is a Biathlon center in Jackson, NH- near Mt. Washington, if you are not familiar with the North Conway area.

Jackson Biathlon

I apologize if the link isn't appropriate.

I served many years in a skipatrol unit in the Norwegian National Guard. I am a regular competition shooter with cross country skiing as a hobby and a nice way to stay fit. Some of the other guys I served with were former, and a few active, professional biathletes and cross country skiers. Our mission was classic guerrilla warfare/stay behind enemy lines. The level of fitness these guys have must be experienced to be believed. Going 20km on skies in a couple of hours, performing an ambush, and retreating the same distance cost them nothing. I, however was DOA (dead on arrival). I sometimes served as their shooting instructor with G3 rifles. Their natural born competetiveness meant that they competed at whatever they did including regular shooting. One example, a former olympic champion (Eirik Kvalfoss, gold 1984 Sarajevo) was/is also a hunter and he was very good with a G3. A deadly combination for the intended mission.

This military unit consists of athles and other types of outdoor expers like mountainklimbers, polar explores, etc. When I discharged about 15 years ago these +/- 150 men had won about 30 olympic medals combined. Another group of guys had klimbed Mount Everest or crossed the south and north pole.( One guy, Erling Kagge, has the hat trick; north pole, south pole and Everest..) It is an interesting group of people that are extremely knowlegable about survival in extreme conditions. I was once invited to cross Greenland on skies as a casual social event. I declined :)

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of motorcycling all over Norway and one of the Must-See places I went was the Norsk Hydro plant in Telemark. For those not familiar, this was one of the greatest commando/sabotage raids of all times, carried out by Norwegian soldiers who parachuted into Norway, skied to the plant, got past the German sentries, blew up the mechanical works in the plant and escaped by ski. And all this in the pit of winter. Those were some of the most skilled, toughest men I can possibly imagine. Tor's unit is probably their direct descendant.

Here are some pictures of Norsk Hydro... For those who also don't know, Norsk Hydro was a plant that made fertilizer and one of the by products was Deuterium Oxide, also called Heavy Water. 2H20 if I remember my basic chemistry. It could have been a critical component of a Nazi Atomic weapon and it was important that the plant be put out of action and the stock of Heavy Water destroyed.

IMG_0555_zps10fa7a86.jpg

Riding into the plant over a very narrow bridge. This is over a gorge that was at least 100 feet below the bridge at its deepest point. Easy to defend? You bet!

IMG_0556_zps84fffbe2.jpg

Here is the gorge as photographed from the bridge. I climbed part way down that and can say it's rugged as hell. And that's in summer. On a footpath.

IMG_0587_zps3c67e935.jpg

Here is the plant itself. The gorge is off to the right. This was taken after I left and as I rode up into the highlands where the skiers parachuted in.

IMG_0581_zps8f920f4c.jpg

Some of the equipment that the Commandos targeted. This is deep inside the plant, which was well-guarded by German troops.

IMG_0575_zps84704725.jpg

Electrical tunnels deep into the rock and under the plant. Every 'cell' for the heavy water production had a matching tunnel like this as I recall.

IMG_0557_zps4902e1cb.jpg

This tablet commemorates the Commandos. Tor may be able to tell us more... but these guys are national heroes in Norway and should be in the entire free world!

FYI, I was there in mid-June. Snow had just left the area and there was still a lot up on the highlands above the plant. I even rode through some snow squalls. While I was there (not a soul was at the place that day... too early for tourist season), I took the opportunity to hike part way down into the gorge which the commandos used to approach the plant. The gorge wasn't heavily guarded because it was assumed that no one could get through it. It was a good assumption! Even in summer, it was a hell of a hike. And all I was carrying was a camera and a water bottle. I can't imagine the fortitude of the men who did it carrying weapons, explosive packs, ski's, winter gear, etc. And did it when it was full of ice and snow. Did I mention that the guys who pulled off that raid were simply beyond human?

There are some good books, movies and documentaries about the raid. But until you have seen the place, it's impossible even to imagine the feat that those Norwegian Commandos accomplished. The post-script was that the Germans got the plant running again and the second time the Commandos went back, they sank a ferry carrying the Heavy Water out in rail cars, sinking them to the bottom of a Lake/Fjord. That put the heavy water out of the hands of the Nazis once and for all. The commandos on that raid had to make a tough call... because there were Norwegian civilians on that ferry... and they couldn't alert them and risk 'not' sinking it.

Thanks, Tor for bringing that up. Anyone who served in that kind of unit is at the top of the food chain around here!

Cheers,

Sirhr

TorF
I am retired US Army Infantry. Held a SS billet, and was assigned and then ran my Battalion MTU. I have always been fasinated by the ski troops. Is there a book out there about the history of the ski troops? Maybe leading to the Biathlon comps? thanks

I have not been, and probably won't in the near future, but there is a Biathlon center in Jackson, NH- near Mt. Washington, if you are not familiar with the North Conway area.

Jackson Biathlon

I apologize if the link isn't appropriate.

For those who can't figure out Cross Country Skiing... and I count myself in that group. Downhilled since I was a kid, could *never* figure out XC... there is a relatively new sport that started near us in Vermont called the Primitive Biathlon. I've competed in it several times.

You use snowshoes and shoot muzzleloaders. Course is typically a couple of miles long. I take it at a leisurely walk. The serious competitors run it. I mean really run it. In snowshoes. You stop 5 times and shoot at gong targets. You get one shot. Misfire counts as a shot. You load on the move (if you are a serious competitor.) And wearing 18th century clothing and gear is considered a must if you want to 'seriously' compete. The whole event has taken on a 'Rendezvous" kind of feel and the game stews served are usually first rate. I carry a replica caplock in .32 Cal. Super lightweight and since all you have to do is ring the gong, the small rifle is perfect. But any kind of non-inline muzzleloader is welcome. Most use Hawkens or similar.

Spectators are most definitely welcome and if anyone wants to go to one, here is a schedule. It is an absolute hoot to watch. The "big one" just happened this past weekend and I had to miss it this year due to school work. But next year I'll be back. Primitive Biathlon Calendar

Cheers,

Sirhr

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of motorcycling all over Norway and one of the Must-See places I went was the Norsk Hydro plant in Telemark. For those not familiar, this was one of the greatest commando/sabotage raids of all times, carried out by Norwegian soldiers who parachuted into Norway, skied to the plant, got past the German sentries, blew up the mechanical works in the plant and escaped by ski. And all this in the pit of winter. Those were some of the most skilled, toughest men I can possibly imagine. Tor's unit is probably their direct descendant.

Here are some pictures of Norsk Hydro... For those who also don't know, Norsk Hydro was a plant that made fertilizer and one of the by products was Deuterium Oxide, also called Heavy Water. 2H20 if I remember my basic chemistry. It could have been a critical component of a Nazi Atomic weapon and it was important that the plant be put out of action and the stock of Heavy Water destroyed.

IMG_0555_zps10fa7a86.jpg

Riding into the plant over a very narrow bridge. This is over a gorge that was at least 100 feet below the bridge at its deepest point. Easy to defend? You bet!

IMG_0556_zps84fffbe2.jpg

Here is the gorge as photographed from the bridge. I climbed part way down that and can say it's rugged as hell. And that's in summer. On a footpath.

IMG_0587_zps3c67e935.jpg

Here is the plant itself. The gorge is off to the right. This was taken after I left and as I rode up into the highlands where the skiers parachuted in.

IMG_0581_zps8f920f4c.jpg

Some of the equipment that the Commandos targeted. This is deep inside the plant, which was well-guarded by German troops.

IMG_0575_zps84704725.jpg

Electrical tunnels deep into the rock and under the plant. Every 'cell' for the heavy water production had a matching tunnel like this as I recall.

IMG_0557_zps4902e1cb.jpg

This tablet commemorates the Commandos. Tor may be able to tell us more... but these guys are national heroes in Norway and should be in the entire free world!

FYI, I was there in mid-June. Snow had just left the area and there was still a lot up on the highlands above the plant. I even rode through some snow squalls. While I was there (not a soul was at the place that day... too early for tourist season), I took the opportunity to hike part way down into the gorge which the commandos used to approach the plant. The gorge wasn't heavily guarded because it was assumed that no one could get through it. It was a good assumption! Even in summer, it was a hell of a hike. And all I was carrying was a camera and a water bottle. I can't imagine the fortitude of the men who did it carrying weapons, explosive packs, ski's, winter gear, etc. And did it when it was full of ice and snow. Did I mention that the guys who pulled off that raid were simply beyond human?

There are some good books, movies and documentaries about the raid. But until you have seen the place, it's impossible even to imagine the feat that those Norwegian Commandos accomplished. The post-script was that the Germans got the plant running again and the second time the Commandos went back, they sank a ferry carrying the Heavy Water out in rail cars, sinking them to the bottom of a Lake/Fjord. That put the heavy water out of the hands of the Nazis once and for all. The commandos on that raid had to make a tough call... because there were Norwegian civilians on that ferry... and they couldn't alert them and risk 'not' sinking it.

Thanks, Tor for bringing that up. Anyone who served in that kind of unit is at the top of the food chain around here!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Thanks so much. I love military history, but this is also fantastic. There should be a Sticky on the Hide for stories just like this that also involved precision shooting/marksmen,,,not just sniper stories, we have a boatload of them. Not the commandos, but most Alpine units train regularly for these extremes. Great post!

TorF
I am retired US Army Infantry. Held a SS billet, and was assigned and then ran my Battalion MTU. I have always been fasinated by the ski troops. Is there a book out there about the history of the ski troops? Maybe leading to the Biathlon comps? thanks

Hi Russ: You might contact the Vermont Army National Guard. They run a Mountain school and have a world-class biathlon team. Back when I was a teenager, I tried out and wasn't even close. I could shoot but could not XC ski. As mentioned above, you can teach a skier to shoot way easier than you can teach someone to ski. I don't know who the current VARNG historian is, but I am sure they can give you some good info.

Cheers,

Sirhr

TorF & Sirhr, great posts!! You guys have blown this one out of the water for me as I love this stuff. I have heard about the assault on the Norsk Hydro years ago but have lost it in the old BHG. I think it is time to get on Amazon and find some books. Also here in Maine (northern Maine, not close to me) in Ft Kent they have an Olympic training center for Biathlon.

Thanks again guys!

I always try to watch Olympic Biathlon - it is an "extreme" sport, extremely hard. The level of fitness required is huge. And watch how fast the shooters cycle those Anny Fortner actions!

Speaking of Fortners, we had a 22 tactical match this weekend where I was enjoying shooting my 1827F. On a longer stage the two guys to the right of me looked over at me and asked if I had shot yet, LOL. Yep I replied, I had been finished for a while.

I really do love that action, well the whole friggen rifle actually.

sirhrmechanic: Todays Norwegian special forces, the FSK, is the direct decendants of the commandoes that blew up the Hydro plant. When they retire from the full time FSK most of them volunteer to the National Guard wich have part time service. The ski patrol unit I served in was manned by hand picked motivated people. During the cold war we had all equipment at home, full auto weapons and ammo, and could be called out at only a few hours notice.

I personally knew one of the commandoes, Arne Kjelstrup. The leader of the raid, Joachim Rønneberg, is still alive today BBC News - Last hero of Telemark: The man who helped stop Hitler's A-bomb

The ski patrol units are common in the Scandinavian countries Finland, Sweden and Norway. Tactics are well described in the stories of the Winter War in Finland were the Finnish ski patrol units cut the regular Soviet Army to pieces. Finland, a country i 1939 with under 4 million people, actually managed to kill and wound 400000 Soviet soldiers in 3 winter months with rifles, SMGs and MG's. In the early 1980'ies I had some of these old veterans with experience as intructors. Some were actually Norwegian SS soldiers serving in Finland in the war of continuation from 1941 - 1944. They were heroes in 1939 and traitors in 1941..

I remenber especially one hairy form of attack we practiced. Problem: How do you tell friend from foe when you make a fast attack on skies and both side use white camo? Easy.. You enter the enemy position or column at full speed on skies. When you are spotted you blow a whistle and all attacing skiers go down. All standing soldiers are enemy. Then you shoot all standing soldiers. As soon as there are none left to shoot, blow the whistle again. Now you rise up and shoot all people lying down.. Then, statisticly, you win.. :)

Last edited:
I remenber especially one hairy form of attack we practiced. Problem: How do you tell friend from foe when you make a fast attack on skies and both side use white camo? Easy.. You enter the enemy position or column at full speed on skies. When you are spotted you blow a whistle and all attacing skiers go down. All standing soldiers are enemy. Then you shoot all standing soldiers. As soon as there are none left to shoot, blow the whistle again. Now you rise up and shoot all people lying down.. Then, statisticly, you win.. :)

That is kick ass!!

There is/was a World Cup up there in ft. Kent also. Always wanted to check it out, but it's a bit far.

I like Biathlon. When I was running the AK Marksmanship Program it was my job to fund and train our state biathlon team. We were having practice one day so I figure I'd give it a try. I could ski, and I could shoot, so why not.

This was just after the winter Olympics (I forget what year) and as I completed the course and got my time I found I was only a couple minutes behind the time set by the Russian who won the Biathlon that year.

I got pretty big headed and figured I'd train a bit and see what I could really do.

That was when my team capt. took the wind out of my sales telling me I just did a 7 K run. The Russian got the gold three minutes faster but he was skiing 15 K.

I gave up my serious bid as a Biathlon champion then. Played at it, but never took it serious.

Hi Russ: You might contact the Vermont Army National Guard. They run a Mountain school and have a world-class biathlon team. Back when I was a teenager, I tried out and wasn't even close. I could shoot but could not XC ski. As mentioned above, you can teach a skier to shoot way easier than you can teach someone to ski. I don't know who the current VARNG historian is, but I am sure they can give you some good info.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Oh I know that school very well!!!!! Been there and have the T Shirt to prove it!!! I used to know the Sgt Major of the post, but that was 10 years ago..

When I got out of active duty, I was assigned to the 3/35 INF, 187th BDE (SEP) for 4 more years. Our mission was Iceland. We were a cold weather unit. By then I was used to it, being from CT and in cold weather units/assignments for a lot of my AD time, (AK, Minn) so it was no problem for me. On the other hand, the city boys really had rough time of it. North Western MA is noted for a sleeper area of extreme cold temps. That is were we trained. Long humps,,,snow shoes, no skies. So, we tried to do a sort of triathlon one day, consisting of movement on foot, snow shoes and a run, doing "common tasks" in between. We set up a 100 Meter rifle range with our M16A2 s with the .22 adapter kits. It was a blast, and the men thought it was the best drill of the year. We did not do just 2 days, all our drills were 4 days, and mostly 2 per month. It was in the days of the bottomless pit money wise. But we did find out issues, we even cracked hammers it was so cold. Good lesson. A civilian was assigned to us who lived in the area who knew the company commander, and he did a big survival day for the guys who did not do this often. Me? I camp more in winter than summer..can't stand bugs!

For those with Tivo or insomnia... at 3AM Eastern tonite (Sunday Morning) on The Military Channel, show called Secrets of World War II. Episode title "The Real Heroes of Telemark." I've seen this documentary and it is really well done. Worth recording for those who have enjoyed Tor's posts and the discussion of the Norsk Hydro raid.

Enjoy,

Sirhr

Bjørndalen's 7'th gold! He is 40 years old. Took first gold 16 years ago. Legend!

Last edited:
AFN is carrying NBC's coverage, and got to see 30-45 minutes of Biathlon yesterday and today.

In case you missed it, like I did, I found it on youtube in sections. (I assume it's the same one). Haven't watched it yet so I can't vouch for the quality. The Real Heroes of Telemark: Ray Mears part 1 - YouTube
For those with Tivo or insomnia... at 3AM Eastern tonite (Sunday Morning) on The Military Channel, show called Secrets of World War II. Episode title "The Real Heroes of Telemark." I've seen this documentary and it is really well done. Worth recording for those who have enjoyed Tor's posts and the discussion of the Norsk Hydro raid.

Enjoy,

Sirhr

Last edited:
Scratch the civilized veneer from a Norwegian and you'll find a Viking.
Hardy lot, that bunch.

While historically these numbers are not entirely supportable, I always found this to be an amusing statement on the martial skills of the Viking descendants that make up that part of the world.

finland_zpsbfd46899.jpg

I can say, though, that I did not meet one person while riding up there who wasn't an instant new friend. Great people those Vikings!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I like Biathlon. When I was running the AK Marksmanship Program it was my job to fund and train our state biathlon team. We were having practice one day so I figure I'd give it a try. I could ski, and I could shoot, so why not.

This was just after the winter Olympics (I forget what year) and as I completed the course and got my time I found I was only a couple minutes behind the time set by the Russian who won the Biathlon that year.

I got pretty big headed and figured I'd train a bit and see what I could really do.

That was when my team capt. took the wind out of my sales telling me I just did a 7 K run. The Russian got the gold three minutes faster but he was skiing 15 K.

I gave up my serious bid as a Biathlon champion then. Played at it, but never took it serious.

LOL, yeah there is always someone who wants to rain you your parade. Those skiers are in incredible shape, I'd be throwing up in no time if I didn't stroke out first

Last edited:
The men's pursuit, sown on NBC this afternoon< was excellent! Won;t spoil it by giving away the results, but watch it if you tivoed it.

I saw some of the Sochi biathalon. Truly amazing athletes. I get winded just hauling my gear from the truck to the range bench. Trying to shoot while trying to breathe is kinda like trying to thread a needle while falling down a mountain.

I've caught bits and pieces of the biathalon. Today's viewing was done at the gym while doing some HIIT on a stationary bike, which provided some good context for the challenge inherent in such a task. I was struggling to focus enough just to see the TV; I really cannot fathom the difficult of making precise shots while certainly exerting one's self far harder than my soft ass in a comfortable gym.