• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Omega 300 Taper Mount Options

Notdylan

Privates
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
Beechgrove, Tennessee
I currently have an Omega 300 with the Area 419 taper mount system that I use on my precision bolt guns. I have just recently picked up a 300 blackout pistol that I would like to share the Omega with. I do not like the idea of either having a bare 419 universal mount on the gun or having to keep up with an extra muzzle device for it (even though I do with my bolt gun). I really wish Area 419 would offer a taper mount/brake or flash hider combo. I asked, they said no.

So I was looking at some other options: The Q plan b/cherry bomb system seems great but I don't really want a radial brake on my bolt gun. Then there is the griffin armament system but I have not heard much about it. Are there any others I should know about?

It’s funny. I had this dilemma last year. My solution was to get another can.
Ha. I just bought another can! Dead Air Wolfman, a great 9mm/300 BLK can. Thing is, it's for my MP5 clone so I have to use a 3 lug mount. I can definitely get a 3 lug muzzle device for the 300 blackout but I wont have the can for nearly a year and I want to enjoy the new gun now.

I haven't specifically used that mount from Griffin. But I have used a lot of Griffin stuff and it has always been good. I put a Q plan B on my Saker. And if I had known Griffin made an option for it I would have gone that route.

I got a Griffin Plan-A with my Nomad, haven't used it, but playing around with it, it seems well made and locks up nicely.

It's pretty light as well, 2.2 oz, a steel minimalist brake adds 2 oz and a Ti minimalist adds 1 oz. I believe, that's ~0.3 oz heavier than a Plan-B + Cherry Bomb with the steel brake, and 0.7 oz less with the Ti brake.

IMG_20190519_152908135~01.jpg

IMG_20190519_152848650~01.jpg

I'll probably wind up getting a Plan-A for my Saker as well since I'll have the brakes mounted anyway.

The one issue I see with the griffin is that the threads are ahead of the taper seal, meaning they could get gunked up with carbon. Wish they were behind the taper like the cherry bomb.

I really think that that concern has been played up well beyond what it deserves by Q for marketing purposes. I live in the heart of TBAC country, everyone I know that has suppressors has TBACs, most using the CB mount that has threads in front of the taper. I've never seen anyone get their Ultra glued to their muzzle device by carbon'd up threads. Also, logically speaking, you're only going to have gas flow through the threads as long as there is a pressure differential between the front of the threads and the tiny space between the threads and the taper. I personally think that time frame, and the amount of gas flowing through the threads is so small that you're just not going to see much carbon deposition at all.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I've been using a recce 5 on both a full length and SBR rifle and have never had an issue with carbon'd threads.

How effective is the cherry bomb as a brake? I'm kinda against a radial brake on my bolt gun but I will most likely be shooting suppressed 100% of the time.

Dead air Keymo is what you need. No threads in front of the taper and has the best lock up of any qd mount I have ever used

Reactions: LeadZeke
How effective is the cherry bomb as a brake? I'm kinda against a radial brake on my bolt gun but I will most likely be shooting suppressed 100% of the time.

I’ve shot a rifle with a radial brake before (not cherry bomb). It does reduce felt recoil....not as great as the ported brakes though. If I was to put a % on it, I’d say it was about half as effective as my area 419 hellfire

Another vote for Keymo. The weight and length is a drag (and I wish they'd attempt to address this with TI or something, cost be damned) but for a true never-get-stuck system it cannot be beat.