• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Omega Cleaning

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
So I've put a couple thousand rounds through my Omega now and I've noticed that the can has gained some weight. When I took my ASR mount off to look at the baffles, there was significant build up on the inside wall of the mount from the brake. I cleaned the mount and end cap, now I want to clean my can but haven't heard back from Silencerco on how. The can is satellite, stainless, and titanium. Would a CLR soak be ok. I want to avoid the dip due to toxicity. Any reccomendations?

I wouldnt CLR soak if only because it will eat off the cerakote. Maybe if you take the front cap off, take the module off, seperate the baffle stack from the outside sleeve and CLR soak only the baffle stack I would feel more confotable with the clr.

I soaked my omega in some boretech c4 for a week (I forgot about it) and it made all my carbon build up super soft and spongy. Lots wiped away with a finger but taking a small pick you could just scrape it and it would fleck off. Can really only do anything inside the first blast chamber though, cant really get into the subsequent chambers.

CLR and steel is a no go.
CLR and stainless is OK for short periods of time (ie about 15 minutes) if you rinse it afterwards.
If you leave stainless in CLR for a long period of time, it will degrade it.
TI is fine.
No idea on Stellite off the top of my head.
Best to call the manufacturer.

Im in the same boat with an Omega. About 3,000+ rounds and its gained close to 4 oz. I’m interested if SiCo offers any info.

Every few hundred rounds I take the front and back off and clean up the threads. A few hundred direct thread rounds and you wont be able to thread on the ASR mount.

SiCo just says "shoot out the carbon." lol, ive got God knows how many rounds on my harvester and want to clean it but im worried i would damage it.

I've got an email into Silencerco and I've called a handful of times with no luck. I want to wait to hear what they say, I guess I was just hoping someone already had heard from them on what to do.

This is what I was told when I inquired into whether clr or a sonic cleaner could be used
"We don't recommend running any anodized products or aluminum in the sonic cleaner. I would recommend putting your can in mineral spirits for up to 24 hours. WD-40 works as well."

This is what I was told when I inquired into whether clr or a sonic cleaner could be used

So they are saying to put aluminum cans submerged in mineral spirits for 24hrs? The wouldn't even give me that when i inquired on the phone about it. They just said "shoot it" lol

CLR and steel is a no go.
CLR and stainless is OK for short periods of time (ie about 15 minutes) if you rinse it afterwards.
TI is fine.
No idea on Stellite off the top of my head.
Best to call the manufacturer.
Stellite is basically a cobalt chrome tungsten super alloy. As in don't worry about it for corrosion or erosion. Used in high temperature wear parts in corrosive environments.

Also dont worry about inconel. Close to same class as stellite for corrosion and temperature. Nickel chrome iron super alloy. I grind it all of the time for parts on the hot side of jet engines.

Stellite is basically a cobalt chrome tungsten super alloy. As in don't worry about it for corrosion or erosion. Used in high temperature wear parts in corrosive environments.

Also dont worry about inconel. Close to same class as stellite for corrosion and temperature. Nickel chrome iron super alloy. I grind it all of the time for parts on the hot side of jet engines.
I don’t think the omega uses inconel. It does use stainless though.

I don’t think the omega uses inconel. It does use stainless though.
I know it doesn't. Just putting it out for more general information. There are other cans out there that use it that people have and might be wondering about as well.

I know it doesn't. Just putting it out for more general information. There are other cans out there that use it that people have and might be wondering about as well.
Thanks for the info. So the general consensus is no formal cleaning methods, just go out and shoot.

What level of degradation to the SS are you finding and after what length of time. I've been using CLR on SS rimfire baffles for years letting them soak hours at a time with no "visible" signs of damage. Just wondering from a metallurgical standpoint what you mean.

TIA