• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Omega powder trickler with A&D FX120i

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
Ok here's my set up. I've got 3 chargemasters that I run simultaneously in conjunction with my A&D FX120i scale. Problem is is I have overthrows , under throws , and its just a pain. Well I talked to a good buddy of mine and he recommended the Omega because he uses it with the same A&D scale I have. Here's my thinking .... Run the 3 charge masters up to about 1 grain from my load, have a spare pan on the A&D tared, dump the powder from the charge masters and finish it off with the omega. I think it will work like a dream and be able to load quickly and more importantly .... Within .02 grains per load. Yes, the A&D will weigh a single kernel.

What do you guys think?? Sound good to go

I throw .3 gr short and then use the same trickler. It works well.

What do I think? You asked ...

If you used either ladder or OCW you have a load where it doesn't matter if you miss your optimum charge by 0.10 or 0.15 grains. Given perfect conditions, the difference in vertical between a charge that is plus or minus 0.1 gr and one that is plus or minus 0.02 should be a fraction on an inch at 500 - 700 yards. The difference due to wind will be plus or minus 2 or 3 inches. Getting to 0.02 grain accuracy is interesting but if you cannot see it on the target then I wouldn't bother. If your target is 6 inches in diameter (regardless of range) how much difference will it make? I would spend the time on powder, primers, barrels, and practice. The wind kicks my butt every time I shoot, I need a lot more work there.

You did ask :)

Sounds familiar!

I really like the Chargemasters, but they can vary a fair amount in how much they are throwing.

With the A&D FX120i scale, it is down to the single grain.

I don't use the A&D so much because I am chasing that single grain, but more for the consistency, because when you run multiple Chargemasters, and then check them on the A&D, you really appreciate that they can be off from scale to scale by as much as 1-2 grains.

In terms of the Omega Trickler, I am still trying to get mine figured out. I have tried a number of things, but throwing 2-3 grains with a push of the button is about the best that I can do. I am honestly adjusting the charges most of the time with a pair of tweezers. I am going to play around with the positioning of it to see if I can get to settle down, if not I will be selling it and sticking with the tweezers.

In terms of the Omega Trickler, I am still trying to get mine figured out. I have tried a number of things, but throwing 2-3 grains with a push of the button is about the best that I can do. I am honestly adjusting the charges most of the time with a pair of tweezers. I am going to play around with the positioning of it to see if I can get to settle down, if not I will be selling it and sticking with the tweezers.

I had this problem for a while, then saw a youtube video by the guy who makes it. When you first put in powder in an empty Omega, it is natural to use the high speed button to get kernels down the pipe, to the end of dispensing pipe. Don't do this. Instead try using just the slow speed button get get the kernels down the pipe. You can do rapid presses of the slow button, but don't touch the fast button. When I do this, the kernels line up single file. Then you just need to adjust the weight to set the speed you need.

Aim,
I know a few guys whom I shoot F-class with, that run the same setup you are.

The one trick I might suggest, instead of pouring powder from the scale pan to the one on the FX, is why not adjust the pans, say the lightest one, to weigh the same(on the FX) and then just weigh the final charge on the FX itself. It will save the time transferring powder from one to the other. After that just pour the charge and put pan back on the RCBS to autocharge.

Just a suggestion..

SY

Use the Omega for my reloading too,along with 2 x Chargemasters and a Sartorius.
The Omega is really the only trickler suited for the task of dropping single kernels with repeatability, and it does so excellently.
When you get it the first time take your time and fiddle with the adjustments to get it right.
The only complaint i have about it is really that it is very slow to feed out the powder everytime it is empty.

Arkhangel's tip is also good to some degree.
A better option still,like i have done. Is to buy weight certified weighing dishes that will fit the chargemasters, check the weight of all of them on the balance just for reassurance, and simply replace the ones that are filled with powder with new ones instantly as you take one off , gives you no downtime on the Chargemasters.

As for the preset underthrow weight, check how the tolerances of your Chargemasters and set it as low as possible without getting overthrows, usually 0,3-05 grains.

2 Chargemasters gives me no downtime, but i do Neck size on the single stage, fill in powder through the drop tube, seat the bullet with the hydro seater arbor and sort the loaded rounds by seating pressure, in one go for every single case.
Just to achieve as consistent neck tension as possible, the overall speed is not really affected much anyway as long as your bench layout is right.

working them over in batches is what most does i guess,but fx sizing all your brass one day and go back to dispense and seat next day will affect the consistency of your neck tension or at least seating pressure compared to doing it the way i do it.

Last edited:
Aim,

It looks like you found a terrific setup. The combo seems to be very fast.

All,

I now have 1 Chargemaster, a FX-120i, and an Omega trickler. At this time, I have about 4 seconds (per load) slack in the process where my chargemaster finishes it's charge, and I pick up it's load. It is a pretty fast process at this point.

I will try Arkhangel's and Powermac's suggestion. Finding a way to not pour powder from the chargemaster tray to the FX-120i tray will save ~2 seconds per load. This will leave me about 2 seconds extra in the process. If I can shave that out, I will have my 1 chargemaster busy 100%, which is as about as fast one can go with one chargemaster.

1) Do you guys set the bullets in the case after each load? This is probably costing me time. Mayube I should just put the all the bullets in the case after all the powder is thrown?

2) How the heck are you keeping 2 or 3 chargemasters busy? As you can see, I am struggling to keep one 100% busy.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Abq,
In AIm's pic he has 3 Chargemasters with pans. They should be close in weight, the tip was adjust them all to the weight of the lightest(shave a little) so they all weighed the same, then zero the FX to that weight.

SY