• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On the fence about purchasing an AMP annealer

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I have not been annealing my brass, and have been reading about benefits and myths. Of course the guys that do it say to do it, and the ones that don't say its not needed. I have yet to find anyone saying they wish they had not wasted their money . I read about all the gas, salt, and induction methods and know with gas, and esp molten salt there would be an injury at my house so I was thinking induction. Then I read the 80 page thread on the home built one. Looks fun , but time consuming and parts intensive. The AMP mk2 is pricy but looks to be my best match. I hate to skimp on annealing if there is benefit. I just cant seem to jump and need a push.....

Also: at what point is this process being done exactly. I read before the sizer die, but i currently size, then trim, and then wet tumble. Are guys tumbling, then annealing, sizing , trimming, and tumbling again? Or just anneal brass with carbon residue and move forward.

1- Buy the AMP. And as soon as they get the AMPmate back in stock, get one of those, and a case feeder as well. You won't regret it. They have a lot of helpful videos on their website.

2- Deprime/ clean/ anneal/ size/ remove case lube/ trim/ prime/ load/ shoot/ repeat is the way I was taught.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
In that order you said remove case lube, I assume wipe off and using the giraud 3- way cutter if there are an burrs or sharp ends after cut, the tumbler does not remove and it goes into the bullet. I realize ideally there should be none, but still....

Perhaps its not important:
i always use the dawn/lemi shine to sort of degrease the case lube off the brass after sizing and smooth out any sharp edges left from the 3 way trimmer.

I said remove lube, because everyone does it differently. I use something like 409 cleaner (since Dawn and lemishine doesn't seem to get the lube off) soak for about 10 min then back in the tumbler for around 20 minutes or so without pins.

I have noticed more consistency in seating force since using the AMP. That said, I have had to adjust my bushings in one or two calibers that I load to get back the the right tension because the brass is easier to work. I was just at the range today and for my consistency/group practice shot 3-5 shot 100yd groups with the average being .58". It should have been .5 or a smidge less, but my last shot pushed the one group from sub 1/2" at the 4 shot mark to .75" and I felt it. This is using brass that has 6 firings over 2 different barrels in a 6.5 Addiction. Before I started annealing (and using an auto trickler), this would have been a hang it on the wall in the reloading room target. Now it was good day, but it was just a good day.

I shoot, tumble clean, anneal, load on a progressive and repeat.

I’m new to reloading so I can’t really comment on whether or not it has benefited me but I can comment on the fact that it is extremely easy to use and I love it so far.

I say if you’ve got the $....go for it. All I hear is the benefit to case consistency and additional life of brass. That sold me.

I use a brass catcher now. So my brass isn’t being picked up out of the dirty much anymore. Here’s my newer routine:

Wipe brass off with rag
Anneal with amp
Deprime/size at same time
Mandrel up
Trim/chamfer/deburr
Prime/powder/seat

Wipe lube off with rag.

Rinse and repeat

If I could afford an AMP, I would get one. Until then, my annealeez works great. Just be careful and your won’t get hurt.

Peterson brass, annealed with my AMP before each reload. I have 12 reloads on the same 6.5 brass and the necks look brand new. Works great, takes some time to hand feed but great results.

I have 12 reloads on the same 6.5 brass and the necks look brand new.
Does annealing help make the necks look brand new? If you tumble brass that has been trampled in the mud for 6 months long enough, it will look brand new too.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm also looking at buying an AMP and I'm also thinking of upgrading to an FX120i scale/autotrickler setup.

Which of the two would have a bigger potential impact on the quality of my reloads - the AMP or the upgraded scale/trickler setup?

Right now I'm using a Mikes Reloading Bench annealer and a Chargemaster Lite

If you already have an annealer, get the FX120i + AutoTrickler, and add the AutoThrower when you can.

Not a huge fan of gas torch annealing - been down that path with a number of different machines - which makes me *love* my AMP that much more... but if you have one that works, you'll probably see more benefit from the better scale & trickler combo.

Reactions: kthomas and jab00