• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On the issue of retraining the unemployed

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Masters degree (which I paid for with my own money, no loans or grants) and I'm unemployed. The state of Pennsylvania, in its infinite wisdom, will pay for unemployed people to go to school to become pet groomers. Yes, the state will pay for "tuition" to go to the Pampered Pet School of Grooming. And yes, that's an actual school.

I, on the other hand, am SOL in my attempt to go back to school to take additional grad courses that would <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span> enhance my chances of re-employment. There are only two schools within Pitt at main campus that the state will pay for. Neither of which are in my field of study. No other nearby universities carry these courses.

Let's see, the state will pay to send someone to school to get a job that will allow them to earn enough that in...let's say one year, will force them to pay into taxes what I'd have to pay in 6 months. Yeah, now I can see why this country's so financially f'd.

With all the bad luck I've been having lately (losing my job in June was JUST the start), I've come to two realizations. First, if humans truly are reincarnated when they die, I must have been one really wicked motherfucker in my past life because I'm being punished for it now. Second, if my luck continues going as it is, I should probably stop reloading because one of these days something bad's going to happen.

Re: On the issue of retraining the unemployed

Man that was really depressing there are a lot worse off than you. so just put the gun in your mouth and pull the trigger...
grin.gif
just kiddin. We all get down at times but think of the good stuff...like living in America, and not Korea... and quit whining. Im friggin 60 , a stonemason and theres NO work forthe forseeabble future in building....but i ain't complaing. Im fuckin free..and thats 90% of it. Suck it up and do something til shit turns around...it always does. Good luck to ya.

I'm 52 years old and no job. What kind of chances do you think I have at getting another job?

I ain't one to look for sympathy, not from people I know and especially from people I don't know. There's a LOT of shit that's been going on that I simply will not go into here because it's no one's business. I was just venting at the stupidity of bureacracy.

Goldie's words have iron in them. Though I tend to regard the words of masons as typically slurred and incoherent due to the copious amounts of beer they consumed at lunch!
laugh.gif
But then I'm a carpenter and never could figure out why grown men want to play with rocks...

My business aint exactly on an uptick right now, but at least there is some work. Thus I guess that, coupled with my amazing good looks, means I am a little better off. Still, a masters degree is no small thing, even if it is in sociology
grin.gif

Are you looking for work outside your home range? Is your entire industry on it's back? You know like the sperm whale fishery or the buggy whip industry?

Among the service businesses I see growing right now are the lawsuit industry, credit counselor scumbags, gold hawkers, medical/pharmaceutical (though maybe not for long comrades...)and schools. Apparently, recessions prompt many to go back to school.

I wish I could give you some answers but beyond imploring you to keep your chin up and a feeble effort to get a laugh or two, I can say that these things typically don't last forever and we are fully two years into this one.

May 2010 see your fortunes improve.

RR....Want to hear some bureacratic bullshit...My mom is 87 and having to leave assisted living to go into total care rest home. The state is requireing all her stuff be siezed and sold..even some antique furniture thats been in the family for 100's of years. even some custom built walnut and marlbe tables I gave her. Its all I can do to keep from going ito their office and as Switchblade puts it :giving somebody a good asswhoopin".
But what would that gain me but jail time. Didnt mean to be too hard...this is a good place to vent, lot of good folks here

QQ. do you know how the trade of carpentry came to be? Originally you guys were just laborers we stonemasons trained to build our scaffolds (for building pyramids and the like). Then you all got uppity and formed a union, went renegade and called yourselves "carpenters". Perhaps the begining of the downfall of western civilization.
grin.gif

On a different note ,were you aware that we masons actually discovered a new dinosaur? the Backasoreus

I thought masonry came about as a response to the plague of blowhard wolves making pigs homeless by blowing down their straw and wood houses!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought masonry came about as a response to the plague of blowhard wolves making pigs homeless by blowing down their straw and wood houses! </div></div>

Your up early, dear. Too many loaded phrases in the above...Im not gonna touch it. Merry Christmas.