• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Once fired brass and different chambers...

bglimpse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Michigan
Quick question, I have some left over ammo from my old FN SPR. It's Federal brass, once fired, was not full length resized. This started out as new FGMM ammo, fired from my FN and then reloaded. I have since sold the FN and replaced it with a Rem 700. Any issues using this reloaded ammo in the new Rem 700?

Re: Once fired brass and different chambers...

That brass is trash now ...Send it to me and i will dispose of it properly.
grin.gif

Full length size,trim,etc and you should be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That brass is trash now ...Send it to me and i will dispose of it properly.
grin.gif

Full length size,trim,etc and you should be fine. </div></div>

Understood, if it were just brass but it's loaded ammo. I want to know if there is any reason not to use it in another rifle.

1- does it chamber in the new rifle?
2- if it's a warm/hot load, does it show pressure in this rifle? You may not know til you shoot it.
If it was neck sized, it may not chamber in this rifle. That would be the first thing to find out.

If the ammo is neck sized chances are it will not chamber in anything other than the chamber it was sized for. Pull the heads and full length the brass.

The last FN rifle I had I could put reloads from it into my Rem but my Rem reloads wouldnt chamber in the FN. It might fit, it might not the best way to test would be to pull the Firing pin out of the bolt on the remy and try to chamber a round or two or three.. Pull the firing pin though or wait till you get to the range and try it.

My Palma rifle won't chamber a round that has been fired in another rifle, even if it has been full length re-sized. That was an eye opener, the first time. AG

To a very good first order, any brass not fired in the chanber its going to be fired in subsequencty, needs to be FL sized, or run through both a body die and a neck sizing die. To be sure, these cases should be test fit in the destined chamber before being loaded with primer, powder, and bullets.

Brass that has been fired and not full length sized, can only be larger than factory spec. So if it fits in your remmy and was not a hot load, you should not have any problems shooting it in the remmy. Check to see if it chambers, and if it does, pay close attention to pressure signs when firing.